Ohio State belongs in the playoff. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio State belongs in the playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ohio State lost to a 6-6 team at home by 2 TD's. I can not think of a set of criteria by which the committee HAS to take them. That said, I think it is pretty close between Baylor, TCU and tOSU.

I do think the playoffs will expand to 8 teams sooner rather than later, but this controversy won't be the driver. I think the problem will be that the schools are going to have a big problem selling tickets to bowl games that are now just really expensive exhibition games.
they lost in september with a freshman qb in his first game that threw two interceptions. They destroyed wisconsin with another rookie qb. TCU barely survived Kansas. Do you really think TCU could have beaten Baylor in a CCG if they had one? I am not sure TCU is the best team in their conference.

meanwhile Florida State drops as they keep winning. Notre Dame and Miami went to crap after losing to them which tells me teams are bringing it and Florida State is breaking them. Meanwhile everyone overlooks Alabamas loss to three loss ole Miss.

Reaction Score
Just please leave Urban Meyer out, that's all I ask! ;)

While we talk about Ohio State and TCU let's meander on over to Wisconsin. How the fk does that happen? They were playing almost well enough to be discussed in the same sentence as the top 4 and then this? Maybe it's Ohio State but I think it speaks more to how weak the B1G is quite honestly. 12 FBS wins are inflated for the Buckeyes as they play in the weakest of all the p5 football leagues......

As it finished last week, leave it. No one deserves to get tossed out as much as I'd like FSU to.

Reaction Score
Oregon and Bama are in. There is very little to choose from among the other 4. FSU has the best record, but if you care about margin of victory, and ease of victory, they did not have the season that TOSU, Baylor and TCU did. TOSU has the worst of those losses, by far, by far, doesn't have more top level wins than the others to make up for it, played in what this year was the weakest power conference and how do you take a team that lost to vPI when FSU got through the ACC undefeated. Baylor did beat TCU, but they best them in a close game at home. If you think tie goes to head to head I understand it, but comparing the two game by game I think TCU's resume is a (very) small amount better.

If it's me, FSU is #3 (no matter how much you tell me last year shouldn't matter, as a tiebreaker I'm not keeping out a defending national champion that went undefeated the following year) and I leave TCU in over Baylor and TOSU. But we all should acknowledge that between those three there are no right or wrong answers.

Four teams was never the right number for a world with five power conferences.

Reaction Score
I agree with Fishy about last week's rankings. If they don't mean anything, then why have them. The committee ranked them at #3 knowing full well they would probably not be the "one true champion," and totally dominate their opponent. what else were they expected to do?

Baylor doesn't jump past Ohio St. with Ohio St.'s big win. That leaves the fourth spot between Ohio St. and FSU. There are reasons to have either in and reasons to have either out. Ohio St.'s loss to VT can and perhaps, should leave them. but I also like the fact that the committee isn't impressed with FSU's string of comeback and/or underwhelming wins against much lesser opponents.

My guess is FSU will get the final spot, but won't be disappointed if they are left out.

Reaction Score
Gotta go to eight and the P5 champs get auto bids. Makes more money for more bowls and the conference championship games get more meaningful. Some of these kids will be playing 16 games, but it's never been about what's best for the kids.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The bowls are finished if they go to 8 teams, which is why there is resistance to going to 8 teams.

As for this year, TCU doesn't need to make excuses for a bad loss.

Reaction Score
The bowls are finished if they go to 8 teams, which is why there is resistance to going to 8 teams.

Probably right on the bowl system, but it's going to go to eight.

Reaction Score

I used to feel the 8 team playoff was the best scenario but not anymore. 8 teams will kill the bowls, the tradition of CFB that it's rich history is based on and which differentiates it from other sports. It will also be a financial and time drain for the fans of those teams and the teams themselves, with multiple road or neutral site games in a row. And there will always be teams who can make a case for inclusion that will miss out. Guess what? With many teams vying for those spots there was great interest this weekend! So what's the real problem? The P5 of course all feeling entitled to a spot at the table. So now the committee has a choice between excluding 2 deserving B12 schools and 1 deserving B1G school. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Told you so. Big 12's one true champion mantra while not having one true champion bit them in the ass.

Reaction Score
I just wanna know how they can have three QB's on their roster who can win and win big and we can't even find ONE who can win against FAR lesser opposition.

Kind of hard to argue anyone ucon played can be considered "FAR lesser opposition". Ucon has a FCS roster

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Kind of hard to argue anyone ucon played can be considered "FAR lesser opposition". Ucon has a FCS roster
I meant lesser opposition than OSU faces. But thanks

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The 'committee' basically screwed themselves by sliding FSU to four when they did and bumping TCU up to three (I'm guessing they assumed Ohio St would lose with a #3 QB) to set up somewhat regional semifinal games (Bama-FSU in the Sugar, Oregon-TCU in the Rose).

As FSU was the defending champion and undefeated, leaving them out would have been impossible as an impressive FSU win in their bowl game (if they were left out) against a credible opponent would have given the public the opportunity to say the playoff system did not crown the legitimate champion.

I personally believe that what this did was expedite a move to the next level of playoffs (either six schools with two receiving a bye or eight schools). My biggest gripe all along was the rhetoric that what the panel viewed on tape to determine who the best teams were would be the deciding factor. I saw this as code for keeping a G-5 school out regardless of what they had accomplished. Imagine if one or two things fell slightly differently this past season where no P-5 school had less than two losses while a G-5 school did what both TCU and Cincinnati did in 2009 and finished undefeated against a reasonably strong schedule (and in the final top four in all polls). The eye test as a valid criteria is the only thing they could use to defend the lesser of the four two loss P-5 schools as being more worthy than the unbeaten G-5 school.

Reaction Score
You knew as soon as Herbie started shilling for his alma mater last night it was only a matter of whether they would get the 3 or 4 seed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You knew as soon as Herbie started shilling for his alma mater last night it was only a matter of whether they would get the 3 or 4 seed.
Still - I don't buy OSU in there. You can blame the Big12 for not having a championship game all you want, but they lost to a 6-6 Virginia Tech team who also lost to East Carolina and Wake Forest. I'm going to need some convincing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Imagine trying to pick amongst teams, 8,9 and 10.

Forget conference championship games or not having a championship game. The committee clearly favors quality wins over margin of victory or who you lost to.

OSU ended the season with a tougher strength of schedule and an extra win over a ranked opponent and stuffed a Heisman candidate. Baylor beat TCU, but almost no one else at the end of the day. TCU didn't beat anyone other than Minnesota, so did OSU, and Kansas State. OSU wins over MSU and Wisc, match or exceed that.

Also had more wins over bowl teams and Top 60 teams according to ESPN.

If the Big 12 has a beef it's with the ACC for fielding no one who could beat FSU, a very beatable team.

Reaction Score
Still - I don't buy OSU in there. You can blame the Big12 for not having a championship game all you want, but they lost to a 6-6 Virginia Tech team who also lost to East Carolina and Wake Forest. I'm going to need some convincing.
Big 12 marketed one true champion, then failed to deliver one, had TCU and Baylor played in a conference championship game on a neutral site, they would not be out today.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Drubbing Wisconsin on a neutral field with your third Qb of the year is impressive as sheet.
TCU would be favored over them, but sure if we do no want the 4 best teams, they belong in.

Bama opened -10 against OSU. And that is too low

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
If OK or TX was the Big12 Champ they probably do not get jumped, but anyone else does. B12 has to expand to 12 if only to get Championship Game revenue.

Going to 8 teams will not solve anything, we have throngs whining for 5 days every year over who the 68th best team is.

Going to 8 would NO effect the other bowl games, as long as ESPN wants to put it on TV. It will just mean more meaningful games.

How many alums will be able to travel for 4 playoff games? Championship games will have to be very local to sell out. The playoff games will sell out by locals anyway, but as a fan which game to you go to?

They should not expand to 8 team playoff until they start paying players. The greedy b*st*rds would be asking players to go play 15 games to win a championship. That is worlds away from what was expected in the past.

Reaction Score
TCU would be favored over them, but sure if we do no want the 4 best teams, they belong in.

Bama opened -10 against OSU. And that is too low
I told you they would get in and they did. You can try and dismiss that performance on a neutral field against a top 13, team but when you contrast that with TCU beating a 2-10 team at home on the last day, that is where not having a CCG killed them.

Reaction Score
I told you they would get in and they did. You can try and dismiss that performance on a neutral field against a top 13, team but when you contrast that with TCU beating a 2-10 team at home on the last day, that is where not having a CCG killed them.
I knew they would get in, did you think the committee was gonna pass up a Saban v. Meyer game? Never.

That being said they are not one of the four best teams.

Reaction Score
gotta feel bad for TCU, but that's they way it goes sometimes, they're going to have to expand this to 8 teams somehow

Reaction Score
They're in there, but they've got an sec team which is a lot different from the b10 schedule they face. They got what they wanted, but they didn't. We'll see, but i would put my $ on Bama.

Reaction Score
Big 12 marketed one true champion, then failed to deliver one, had TCU and Baylor played in a conference championship game on a neutral site, they would not be out today.

Of course, since Waco is only about 90 miles south of Fort Worth the odds are pretty good that even if the Big XII had two divisions and CCG TCU and Baylor would be in the same division and not have played in the game.

Actually if you took the existing 10 teams and split them. it would probably look like:

D1 : WVU, KState, Kansas, Oklahoma and Ok State
D2 Texas, TCU Baylor, Tech, and ISU

So you could make the argument that KState/Baylor was the CCG.

Reaction Score
If OK or TX was the Big12 Champ they probably do not get jumped, but anyone else does. B12 has to expand to 12 if only to get Championship Game revenue.

Going to 8 teams will not solve anything, we have throngs whining for 5 days every year over who the 68th best team is.

Going to 8 would NO effect the other bowl games, as long as ESPN wants to put it on TV. It will just mean more meaningful games.

How many alums will be able to travel for 4 playoff games? Championship games will have to be very local to sell out. The playoff games will sell out by locals anyway, but as a fan which game to you go to?

They should not expand to 8 team playoff until they start paying players. The greedy b*st*rds would be asking players to go play 15 games to win a championship. That is worlds away from what was expected in the past.

the 12 shot themselves in the foot by not going after cincy and lville, we would have been in the acc, they don't have many options and I don't feel bad for bowlsby on this one, he's an idiot for thinking too conservatively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom