Oh No Oh No Oh NO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oh No Oh No Oh NO

Reaction Score
Not to dredge up old history for a lengthy debate, but an overwhelming majority of UCONN fans IMHO admire Pat for her accomplishments and what she meant to the game. However it went off the rails towards the end of her career vis-a-vis UCONN - the 39 page complaint full of inaccurate accusations (even using the BY to gather quotes to accuse a fellow BY'er of NCAA rule violations), the continuous allusions to hanky panky regarding UCONN's recruiting, the issues with Maya and her family, the whole "Why we won't schedule UCONN? Ask Geno - he knows" litany of comments from her, etc.

IMHO it's totally possible to separate the professional from the personal. She was a great figure who had unprecedented success in an era where there was little to no support for WCBB. But her vendetta against UCONN was not only unfounded, but unfortunate for her legacy. No, UCONN fans will never forget that...

Forget, no. But forgive, absolutely. Particularly since who knows what was going thru Pat's mind the last years of her career. She was bitterly disappointed to lose Maya, was probably fed dubious info from Lord knows where, that she chose to act on without fully checking. Didn't hurt UConn in any way really, other than stir up the rivalry a bit. TN is a program still searching for direction. They don't want to play us....Okie Dokie, hurts them more than us!

BTW, I grew up in CT 60 years ago saying Okie Dokie & still do. Wasn't just the south. According to Wikipedia the derivation was from The Little Rascals, one of my favorite TV shows growing up.

Reaction Score
msf22b, your absolutely right. But we won more than we lost and in the games that really mattered, for the National Championship, we are 4-0. Two really great programs trying to stay or become the most prominent program of their times. Fortunately we became and remain the MOST PROMINENT program in WCBB. And it appears that for the next four years, you will have to go through UCONN to win the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Skylar won 7 of her last 9 to Uconn. She won her 1st in Mayas last game in FF. One the first 2 in the next season with Uconn winning the Big East TC and losing to Notre Dame 2nd year in a row at the FF. Then her last year ND won the first 3 games including their only Big East TC. Then lost by 18 in the FF against the Huskies and then Stewie and Co. spanked Louisville for the NC!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I also think the fact UConn usually plays in front of the biggest crowds for WCBB. I know there are a few other schools like South Carolina (which I will be going to that game) that can compare but most can not... especially when it comes to drawing on the road.

Agreed -- While our average home attendance isn't tops (I think that's SoCar now), we are still right up there, and as far as the % bump that opponents get in attendance when UCONN's in town? I bet no other team comes anywhere CLOSE !

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I think ND actually beat us 7 time in 8 games, with at least 5 or 6 of them coming down to the last possession.

Losing to St. Johns and Mississippi State and nearly losing to Tulane fall into one category--we are clearly the better team, but we play poorly and the other team has a good game plan and/or plays well. One could call those games a fluke. But it's important to note that for us to lose, the other team has to be good enough and tough enough to take advantage. We have had other games in which we played poorly, but the opposition wasn't good enough or tough enough to take advantage. Geno has noted this. Think LSU last year as an example.

Losing to Notre Dame and Baylor fall into a category of two evenly matched teams, and we don't play quite well enough. Notre Dame, interestingly, had a team that was particularly confident and mentally tough at a time when we were less confident and mentally tough than normal. Baylor was a very talented team, especially when Griner was playing.

Without sounding like sour grapes, I think the loss to Mississippi St. in last years semi was more than just the better team, which was clearly UConn, playing poorly, but also the way the entire FF was officiated. A few years ago the NCAA announced that freedom of movement was to be a point of emphasis in the women’s game, yet the FF was officiated exactly the opposite. It was completely unsurprising that the 2 FF teams that thrive on movement both lost in the semis. Credit to MS for taking advantage, but clearly freedom of movement was not a priority during the FF. More to the point, being physical and impeding freedom of movement has become the only strategy capable of beating UConn for the last few years.

Reaction Score
I think Maryland will once again be turtle soup. No impressions on Cal.

UCLA could be more interesting....

View attachment 26202

I was actually impressed with Maryland's second half comeback the other night.........they could have mailed it in but they put up quite a fact against a superior team........if they play like that against UConn they might keep the score respectable

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was actually impressed with Maryland's second half comeback the other night....they could have mailed it in but they put up quite a fact against a superior team...if they play like that against UConn they might keep the score respectable
I'm wondering which team was the real Maryland--the first half team or the second half team?

Keep in mind that they were playing at home--and the UConn game is a road game.

Reaction Score
Pat won her share of recruits, the 4 losses in Championship games to Geno was a more significant factor because in many of those games Pat was significantly outcoached. Philadelphia (Geno home town) in 2000 probably still stings the Lady Vols fan base.
Well I can't think about that game without breaking into a s***eating grin. So yeah I'm pretty sure it still stings.

Reaction Score
Skylar won 7 of her last 9 to Uconn. She won her 1st in Mayas last game in FF. One the first 2 in the next season with Uconn winning the Big East TC and losing to Notre Dame 2nd year in a row at the FF. Then her last year ND won the first 3 games including their only Big East TC. Then lost by 18 in the FF against the Huskies and then Stewie and Co. spanked Louisville for the NC!
In the last nine years we lost seven games to Skylar and six games to the rest of wcbb. Huge, huge credit to her for that.

Reaction Score
I think ND actually beat us 7 time in 8 games, with at least 5 or 6 of them coming down to the last possession.

Losing to St. Johns and Mississippi State and nearly losing to Tulane fall into one category--we are clearly the better team, but we play poorly and the other team has a good game plan and/or plays well. One could call those games a fluke. But it's important to note that for us to lose, the other team has to be good enough and tough enough to take advantage. We have had other games in which we played poorly, but the opposition wasn't good enough or tough enough to take advantage. Geno has noted this. Think LSU last year as an example.

Losing to Notre Dame and Baylor fall into a category of two evenly matched teams, and we don't play quite well enough. Notre Dame, interestingly, had a team that was particularly confident and mentally tough at a time when we were less confident and mentally tough than normal. Baylor was a very talented team, especially when Griner was playing.
PERCEPTION--REALITY--Fluke; the improbable, unexpected. Last years loss was not fluke: often Geno has said it was expected.v

It may not be standard or expected or even believed that a Coach with a great game plan and motivated players can and did defeat Uconn. You identified some. U Tenn should be added to the list, however some of those defeats were not truly unexpected. We who believe Geno was instrumental in the april loss may need a reality check.
While the Courants use of "Muffet has Geno's number" angered me so did the 7 losses and many in close and one in 3 OT's. The proof is in the pudding they say; the proof and the pudding was the defeat of ND by 18, the exact total of points in all 7 games ND won by, that's a be of retaliation.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering which team was the real Maryland--the first half team or the second half team?

Keep in mind that they were playing at home--and the UConn game is a road game.

Do you think they're wondering that about UConn..........;)

Reaction Score
I am paraphrasing a couple of earlier posts -what is as equally important to recruiting as the history of success are the current players. I think it speaks volumes that Christyn noted that Dangerfield was a major factor in her decision.

Let's look in hindsight to the Olivia Ododa comments. Many interpreted her comments about the vast difference between one program and rest of the others as negative towards Uconn because Dawn/USC pulled out all stops - letter her observe knee surgeries etc.

She confirmed what we fans spot everyday: There is a vast difference between one program and all the others. Uconn - excellence in coaching, player development, people development.

Reaction Score
Pat won her share of recruits, the 4 losses in Championship games to Geno was a more significant factor because in many of those games Pat was significantly outcoached. Philadelphia (Geno home town) in 2000 probably still stings the Lady Vols fan base.
Don't forget that Tennessee had a serious injury on the day of the game in Philly. I think Uconn would have won but it would have been a lot closer if Ace Clement could have played.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not to dredge up old history for a lengthy debate, but an overwhelming majority of UCONN fans IMHO admire Pat for her accomplishments and what she meant to the game. However it went off the rails towards the end of her career vis-a-vis UCONN - the 39 page complaint full of inaccurate accusations (even using the BY to gather quotes to accuse a fellow BY'er of NCAA rule violations), the continuous allusions to hanky panky regarding UCONN's recruiting, the issues with Maya and her family, the whole "Why we won't schedule UCONN? Ask Geno - he knows" litany of comments from her, etc.

IMHO it's totally possible to separate the professional from the personal. She was a great figure who had unprecedented success in an era where there was little to no support for WCBB. But her vendetta against UCONN was not only unfounded, but unfortunate for her legacy. No, UCONN fans will never forget that...
Eric, I have high respect for you on this forum and am usually on board with your comments, however on this last one, we must part ways. If Geno can forgive her AND HE HAS, why can’t the rest of the BYers also let it go and move on as her competitive juices most definitely got the better of her, as it sometimes does for the rest of us. Geno and Pat made up before her last game and he attended her funeral with a big donation to her foundation. That is more than good enough for me. I tip my cap to Ms. Head-Summitt! I want to root for Tennessee to be good enough to make it far into the tournament to have to face us and then crush them! That alone is enough to make me smile ear to ear....:D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Eric, I have high respect for you on this forum and am usually on board with your comments, however on this last one, we must part ways. If Geno can forgive her AND HE HAS, why can’t the rest of the BYers also let it go and move on as her competitive juices most definitely got the better of her, as it sometimes does for the rest of us. Geno and Pat made up before her last game and he attended her funeral with a big donation to her foundation. That is more than good enough for me. I tip my cap to Ms. Head-Summitt! I want to root for Tennessee to be good enough to make it far into the tournament to have to face us and then crush them! That alone is enough to make me smile ear to ear....:D[/QUOTE

For those of us who were dragged through the trenches with the 37 pages, for those of us who were embarrassed, who know most of what happened, who were used by Tenn fans to bring down Geno the coaching staff, the program the school the players, who's pictures, posts and comments were brought forth to the NCAAs etc etc. I will never forget. IMO you cant go any lower then what Tenn tried to do to UConn. Granted there are new players and coaches at Tenn however many of those behind what happened are still there, still hate Uconn and Geno. I can understand how many fans and posters feel because you didnt live through what some of us had to live through. You didnt experience what was going on and how we were ripped apart. For those of you who want to forgive and forget I can understand and a applauded you it is a noble thing to do however I was hurt and that many never change.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When someone like @Tonyc "OUR Eternal Optimist " takes the time to write about the hurt caused by TN more than a decade ago, we should all pause and pay attention before forming an opinion.
There were many others hurt in the process by that 37 pages of juvenile accusations by TN-as intended. While Pat is no longer with us and may not have been of sound mind when these false accusations were be crafted, the institutions and offices that should have prevented the falsehoods from ever seeing the light of day still endure. As @DefenseBB points out TN has an office called Athletic Director and TN plays in the SEC conference both of which could have, but failed, to provide the required adult supervision in this matter. Speaking of juvenile and the need for adult supervision by the SEC, the reporting of the Geno phone call to Mone' Davis to the NCAA qualifies as yet another example where the SEC is slacking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Geno can forgive her AND HE HAS, why can’t the rest of the BYers also let it go and move on as her competitive juices most definitely got the better of her, as it sometimes does for the rest of us.

She smeared UConn and continued to do so after she was proven wrong. She could have come clean but she never did. It wasn't "competitive juices". It was a bully getting her comeuppance not taking it well. Tennessee still can't lose enough to suit me.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
She smeared UConn and continued to do so after she was proven wrong. She could have come clean but she never did. It wasn't "competitive juices". It was a bully getting her comeuppance not taking it well. Tennessee still can't lose enough to suit me.

I share the anger at Tennessee, but still think that Pat Summitt gets a pass because of her disease. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the Alzheimer's was already at work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom