Oh boy, Big 12 supposedly interested in UConn again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oh boy, Big 12 supposedly interested in UConn again

Reaction Score
My point was that the decision ona league change should be based on basketball, not football.
So you’re fine with a distribution of $4 million a year which is what UConn gets from the Big East? That’s only about half of the combined annual compensation for Hurley and Geno. So I guess you’re fine with all other sports including football getting zero?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And how has that worked out for Rutgers athletically?
They’re about the same they were in the Big East, but with more cash in the bank

IMG_3128.jpeg

Reaction Score
They’re about the same athey were in the Big East, but with more cash in the bank

View attachment 102398
"about the same as they were in the Big East"

That's not what those numbers say. In the last 10 seasons Rutgers has had a losing B1G record. In 2008, 2 years before moving into a new conference, they were an NCAA 2 seed and had a good case for the 4th 1 seed.
I'm not saying that the move caused all of that but the extra money didn't help the wcbb program one bit. Yet all everyone talks about is the $$$.

Reaction Score
"about the same as they were in the Big East"

That's not what those numbers say. In the last 10 seasons Rutgers has had a losing B1G record. In 2008, 2 years before moving into a new conference, they were an NCAA 2 seed and had a good case for the 4th 1 seed.
I'm not saying that the move caused all of that but the extra money didn't help the wcbb program one bit. Yet all everyone talks about is the $$$.
Money doesn’t solve every issue, but it’s much better having it than not having a chance to solve it. Rutgers could easily become a power in wbb, again.

Reaction Score
Money doesn’t solve every issue, but it’s much better having it than not having a chance to solve it. Rutgers could easily become a power in wbb, again.

Well their P-4 money hasn't helped. More income will require an investment and stadium alterations will end up twice their estimate. Trust me. I wrote construction contracts for CT. Then there is the extra money for a professional coaching staff good enough to attract pro prospects.
And how stable is the B12? I could see UConn making the investment and then finding themselves in UWashington 's position only with a huge debt to pay off.

Maybe not though.

Reaction Score
Well their P-4 money hasn't helped. More income will require an investment and stadium alterations will end up twice their estimate. Trust me. I wrote construction contracts for CT. Then there is the extra money for a professional coaching staff good enough to attract pro prospects.
And how stable is the B12? I could see UConn making the investment and then finding themselves in UWashington 's position only with a huge debt to pay off.

Maybe not though.
If you were writing contracts for UCONN right now, wouldn't it show that long term that the budget athletically can't be sustained?

Reaction Score

Maybe not though.
Was only talking about Rutgers wbb. With the right support from the administration and AD, and the right coaching staff, they could make a great program. Huge recruiting area advantage as I see it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't care about the school's budget.
Schools are cutting sports because of short-handed athletic budgets. UConn cut men's swimming and diving, men's cross country, women’s rowing, and men's tennis to solve budgetary problems. The men winning the natty and women getting to the Final Four was great but revenue from basketball won’t pay the bills.

Are you a Connecticut taxpayer? The university is expected to lose $70 million in 2025. How much longer will people be happy to pay Geno and Dan Hurley’s salaries if UConn continues to operate in the red?

Reaction Score

Maybe not though.
Wouldn’t success on the field or the court, also attract more donors.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Schools are cutting sports because of short-handed athletic budgets. UConn cut men's swimming and diving, men's cross country, women’s rowing, and men's tennis to solve budgetary problems. The men winning the natty and women getting to the Final Four was great but revenue from basketball won’t pay the bills.

Are you a Connecticut taxpayer? The university is expected to lose $70 million in 2025. How much longer will people be happy to pay Geno and Dan Hurley’s salaries if UConn continues to operate in the red?

I read that Hurley's salary was covered by donated funds, not the School's budget. But your point is right on, lack of funds is killing non P4 school sports.

Reaction Score
Never have played financial detective on this issue but curious how much of the total sports budget's expenses come from football. Wondered if you could exit majority of football costs, would the benefit equal the financial opportunity lost (i.e. unlikely to be part of major league)? Considering the effect of football related NIL programs, UConn is unlikely to ever be competitive in this segment. Over time, forecast we will see a basketball focused league(s) develop that UConn would be a leader in.

Reaction Score
Never have played financial detective on this issue but curious how much of the total sports budget's expenses come from football. Wondered if you could exit majority of football costs, would the benefit equal the financial opportunity lost (i.e. unlikely to be part of major league)? Considering the effect of football related NIL programs, UConn is unlikely to ever be competitive in this segment. Over time, forecast we will see a basketball focused league(s) develop that UConn would be a leader in.
Have you seen the football facilities on campus? The university is committed.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
UConn cut men's swimming and diving, men's cross country, women’s rowing, and men's tennis to solve budgetary problems.
I get your point, in general, but beg to differ about cross country.
If the track coach or an assistant coaches the team, dropping the sport saves almost zero dollars. The only other expenses are uniforms—minimal—laundry, and a few bus rides. I suspect dropping x-country for men was more of a Title IX balance move.

My college also tried to drop men’s swimming and diving to save money. That got the AD into an unplanned early retirement when many alumni raised hell.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably be dead in 10/15 years and I guarantee that I still will outlive the Big East bb (as we know it).

If UConn and Nova were to leave tomorrow, Big East bb would be at the A10 level. Include St Johns leaving and Big East might be on par with the MAAC.

It’s sad.

Reaction Score
Why is it that every other school is trying to get into a power conference, or get into a better P- conference ? Football $$ drives the bus. BB is a distant 2nd to FB. Is it a goal to beat up on small private catholic schools ? Duke + N.Carolina want out of ACC for a better FB conference. IF you don't play in a P-Conf. you will be left behind. B1G thinks new FB/TV contracts will net 70m per team per year. Last I saw catholic schools + catholic church have major financial problems.

Reaction Score
Why is it that every other school is trying to get into a power conference, or get into a better P- conference ? Football $$ drives the bus. BB is a distant 2nd to FB. Is it a goal to beat up on small private catholic schools ? Duke + N.Carolina want out of ACC for a better FB conference. IF you don't play in a P-Conf. you will be left behind. B1G thinks new FB/TV contracts will net 70m per team per year. Last I saw catholic schools + catholic church have major financial problems.
Yep. Whether anyone likes it or not, as it currently stands in the world of US collegiate sports, football drives the bus. Having other teams in other popular sports (like basketball) be successful is a HUGE plus and of course every school wants that as well.

Being in a better conference and bringing in more money benefits everyone.

And some people like to moan that they want to have conference history and rivalries — and I get it, but, hell, even in WBB most of UConn’s biggest rivals aren’t (or in the case of some, like the Lady Vols, have never) been in the same conference. And in some cases we just simply don’t even play former conference rivals anymore (e.g., the Orange). So I don’t even feel like all of that matters anymore.

As they say, I’d rather cry in a Mercedes …

Reaction Score

Nan, how many UConn football games do you watch per season? Me? Less than one.

All universities lose money every year. I'll bet you that Rutgers loses money every year too. UConn is not a business.
Should UConn drop academic subjects that don't turn a profit? Who needs philosophy unless it pays for itself? Is the school of Fine Arts self-supporting. UConn basketball isn't losing so much money that the taxpayers can't afford it. The vendors that profit on UConn athletics want the athletic budget to increase. That includes the media. A bigtime football budget can swallow all the added revenue. It can drag the entire athletic budget into a deep hole. What good is $40 million if it costs an additional $45million to get it? And that is assuming that the B12 is still an entity in 3 years.

There are aspects of this that everyone is ignoring.

Reaction Score
Yep. Whether anyone likes it or not, as it currently stands in the world of US collegiate sports, football drives the bus. Having other teams in other popular sports (like basketball) be successful is a HUGE plus and of course every school wants that as well.

Being in a better conference and bringing in more money benefits everyone.

And some people like to moan that they want to have conference history and rivalries — and I get it, but, hell, even in WBB most of UConn’s biggest rivals aren’t (or in the case of some, like the Lady Vols, have never) been in the same conference. And in some cases we just simply don’t even play former conference rivals anymore (e.g., the Orange). So I don’t even feel like all of that matters anymore.

As they say, I’d rather cry in a Mercedes …

Not if the Mercedes bankrupts you.

Wouldn’t success on the field or the court, also attract more donors.

Certainly. But what if the cost of success doubles the football budget? Does anyone know what the football budget is right now? I don't. Before I jump on the bandwagon I want to see the numbers, and not just the media distribution, all the costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom