Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boeheim lost the chance to exit gracefully when he said he was retiring years ago and them reneged. He ended as a cranky old man who the game had long passed by. Syracuse will be a worse version of Indiana post-Knight. Syracuse is just not an attractive locale for recruits. If the program was still good, kids might overlook it.

Reaction Score
Whatever your view on Boeheim, Syracuse is complete garbage. What an awful way to kick your coach of 47 years out the door.
I dunno. His record the past several years is really not good. Playing only a 2-3 zone defense these days is (imo) simply foolish, but he refused to adapt to how the game has evolved. The miracle run to the FF probably only delayed the inevitable, and let’s face it, he was too stubborn to walk away gracefully and on his terms. Is SU supposed to wait around while 1) JB’s successors came and went because they don’t want to wait forever, 2) the product on the court is sub-par, and 3) the fan base begins to grumble about the state of the program or even worse, starts to drift away?
All things must come to an end, and today is JB’s end.

Reaction Score
What a sad ending.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_061932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_061932_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
Reaction Score
I dunno. His record the past several years is really not good. Playing only a 2-3 zone defense these days is (imo) simply foolish, but he refused to adapt to how the game has evolved. The miracle run to the FF probably only delayed the inevitable, and let’s face it, he was too stubborn to walk away gracefully and on his terms. Is SU supposed to wait around while 1) JB’s successors came and went because they don’t want to wait forever, 2) the product on the court is sub-par, and 3) the fan base begins to grumble about the state of the program or even worse, starts to drift away?
All things must come to an end, and today is JB’s end.
Some good points. People can criticize and loathe both Boeheim and SU but the entire situation is a complete indictment of SU. Unless one believes JB has some super-powers which allowed him to single-handedly hold an entire institution hostage. SU publicly fired its head coach of 47 years minutes after his final game. What a disaster and completely classless.

Reaction Score
Some good points. People can criticize and loathe both Boeheim and SU but the entire situation is a complete indictment of SU. Unless one believes JB has some super-powers which allowed him to single-handedly hold an entire institution hostage. SU publicly fired its head coach of 47 years minutes after his final game. What a disaster and completely classless.
Maybe not a super-power, but don’t underestimate the power a coach can have over a university when the coach is still beloved by the boosters that donate the $ every year. It may be an unfair comparison (and if it is, my apologies), but remember the power Joe Paterno wielded at Penn State? That entire situation did not exactly end well either.

Reaction Score
Maybe not a super-power, but don’t underestimate the power a coach can have over a university when the coach is still beloved by the boosters that donate the $ every year. It may be an unfair comparison (and if it is, my apologies), but remember the power Joe Paterno wielded at Penn State? That entire situation did not exactly end well either.
That's on SU and it's boosters, and of course it's also on Penn State.

Reaction Score
That's on SU and it's boosters, and of course it's also on Penn State.
But it’s not on the coach? You don’t think these guys knew the power they had? Please…

Reaction Score
But it’s not on the coach? You don’t think these guys knew the power they had? Please…
Of course they know how much power they have. Are you saying if you employed a guy for 47 years, you are going to blame him for making you and your company look like dogsheet? Please. Wake up and smell the coffee Mrs. Bueller.

Reaction Score
I mean in fairness, it was starting to feel like Boeheim’s exit plan was “when I die, autry can take over”. His ego kind of forced their hand.
I don't know the details but it could be likely that SU wanted to handle it much differently (I would hope) but JB was too stubborn. I just think for an institution like SU, it should have been able to handle it much better, even if only for the sake of its own appearance. There it is in the ACC stinking up the joint and now gets all this negative pub. Good for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean in fairness, it was starting to feel like Boeheim’s exit plan was “when I die, autry can take over”. His ego kind of forced their hand.
It may have been when I win my next national championship I’ll drive off into the sunset, but that essentially amounted to the same thing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Boeheim lost the chance to exit gracefully when he said he was retiring years ago and them reneged. He ended as a cranky old man who the game had long passed by. Syracuse will be a worse version of Indiana post-Knight. Syracuse is just not an attractive locale for recruits. If the program was still good, kids might overlook it.

Syracuse is a dead mill town in frigid central New York state that is further from NYC than P6 schools UConn, Villanova, PC, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State and BCU, and is about the same distance from NYC as Georgetown.

I think one of the reasons that Syracuse let Boeheim hang around so long is that they know he will be very hard to replace.

Reaction Score
Of course they know how much power they have. Are you saying if you employed a guy for 47 years, you are going to blame him for making you and your company look like dogsheet? Please. Wake up and smell the coffee Mrs. Bueller.
Am I going to blame the coach if his program produces mediocre (and that is being generous) results for several years in a row? Is that really your question? Ok…. YES, of course I am going to blame the coach!!! Who would you blame? The equipment manager? Regardless of whether he coached there 5 years or 50, if he can’t do the job any more, then changes need to be made. JB went back on his commitments to hand over the reins more than once, and the school probably realized he was never going to leave and never going to change. There’s loyalty and there’s blind loyalty. SU wasn’t blind.

Reaction Score
Am I going to blame the coach if his program produces mediocre (and that is being generous) results for several years in a row? Is that really your question? Ok…. YES, of course I am going to blame the coach!!! Who would you blame? The equipment manager? Regardless of whether he coached there 5 years or 50, if he can’t do the job any more, then changes need to be made. JB went back on his commitments to hand over the reins more than once, and the school probably realized he was never going to leave and never going to change. There’s loyalty and there’s blind loyalty. SU wasn’t blind.
I really have no idea who what or why you are debating at this point. The coach is entirely responsible for the performance of the team. The school is entirely responsible for employing the coach and for how long. I said SU is garbage for the way it handled the termination of its legendary coach of 47 years. The rest of the stuff you are blathering on about is your own making. Boeheim and SU both suck but that wasn't what my post was about.

Reaction Score
I don't know the details but it could be likely that SU wanted to handle it much differently (I would hope) but JB was too stubborn. I just think for an institution like SU, it should have been able to handle it much better, even if only for the sake of its own appearance. There it is in the ACC stinking up the joint and now gets all this negative pub. Good for them.
sounds like the university was trying for quite a while to handle it another way but JB kept zigging and zagging. JB got what he deserved.

Reaction Score
The CBS Sports minute on WFAN just said the same. Coaching was just part of his daily routine at this point.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is a dead mill town in frigid central New York state that is further from NYC than P6 schools UConn, Villanova, PC, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State and BCU, and is about the same distance from NYC as Georgetown.

I think one of the reasons that Syracuse let Boeheim hang around so long is that they know he will be very hard to replace.
And being in the ACC which is mainly a Southern conference doesn't help.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've missed the last few pages and I know it's fun to have fun with 'Cuse and Boeheim, but much respect for his accomplishments over the last 47 years and all or parts of 14 others (provided my math is correct).

I know he coached man-to-man in his early career, but the three point line being moved back was the beginning of the end. It's a tough row to hoe when your halfcourt defense relies on wide open 40+%, 4+Star shooters going cold. When they extend the foul line and match up, it leaves the middle wide open and they can't recover. If the Center cheats, it opens the rim up.

Plus Boeheim's recruiting waned, as the game passed him by.

Reaction Score
I really have no idea who what or why you are debating at this point. The coach is entirely responsible for the performance of the team. The school is entirely responsible for employing the coach and for how long. I said SU is garbage for the way it handled the termination of its legendary coach of 47 years. The rest of the stuff you are blathering on about is your own making. Boeheim and SU both suck but that wasn't what my post was about.
Same here. You seem to think SU is garbage for cutting him loose, which is sentimentality, imo. I think if the team is lousy for several years, it’s time to move on, regardless of how long the coach has been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom