Official Silence the Shocker Game Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Official Silence the Shocker Game Thread

Reaction Score
As a long time fan, I find this continued slide into irrelevance most distressing,

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Another double digit loss, this time at home. How much more must we take?

Reaction Score
Lol I just have to laugh at how real unreal some are. If you are still holding out hope we are a tournament team I don't know what to tell you. All I can hope for is that we learn how to play basketball and that towards the end of the season we feel like we have something to look forward to next season. If Ollie is let go then we move on. If not you hope out chemistry built and momentum carries over. Any other expectations for this season are silly imo.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’d love to know why Ollie continues to believe that Whaley and Onuorah have any business on the floor.

Three starters failed to score a single point today. You gotta start Anderson - understood - but the other two, good god, stop screwing this up on purpose.

Any idiot off the street would do a better job of rotating players than our head coach.

Reaction Score
All in all, I like the fight the team showed, and I even liked Ollie’s decisions today. But the team is bad, and it’s offensive sets just do not work. They are a bad team in almost every sense of the word. It’s hard to find a bright side at all. This program needs big change.

I'm not sure there are offensive sets. Nine assists on 24 field goals.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
The poor shooting will always be our downfall. Not only do we constantly miss, but the missed shots leads to transition buckets for the other team.

Our shooting is our problem, not Ollie's coaching. Ollie's recruiting is why we are now a mid-level DI team. You can't win against top level teams with the personnel we have. High level DI teams put two or three players on the floor who can stroke outside shots in their sleep on a consistent basis. Our best players can't do this. Even TL is only consistent with wide open looks. His play from the outside off the dribble is poor most of the time. Adams, Anderson, and Vital can't hit the one dribble 16 foot pull-up with any consistency - even the announcer today said you should play a different sport if you are a guard and can't do this! Our bigs are obviously sub par for a good DI team. Ollie's recruiting is the problem - not his ability to coach a team. Also, team chemistry and collapses in play become a problem on any team when you are outmatched by talent every time you play. Any coach, at any level, knows the struggles of trying to win when your personnel is always over-matched. Why he can't recruit - I don't have the answer.

Reaction Score
Realistically, that is what it will take.
Realistically, next year will be our breakout. Help is on its way, our freshman are getting good minutes, and we won't have to start 3 transfers.

Reaction Score
We just have no shooters. It is so frustrating because there are a lot of shooters on mid major teams and I’ll never understand why we don’t go get a couple of them.

Reaction Score
Adams is just a horrible shooter. Absolutely horrible. How many missed open looks and blocked layups does he have to have before KO demands that he drive-and-dish? It's sad to say he's the first option on offense when he can't put the ball in the ocean.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Dude, I'm your biggest fan. If you don't see how incredibly broken this is, I don't know what to tell you.
Not mutually exclusive.

I see terrible hoops

Reaction Score
9 assists for the game - that's below our 9.2 /game average. Not gonna cut it. Giving up 17 offensive rebounds and giving up 12 Threes on 48% shooting also not a formula for success. Good thing they shot 33% from the line or it could have been worse.

I mean at least there was some improvement from the Auburn game - but the same pitfalls are there, do they even watch film?

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shockers may have fallen back a few spots in the rankings seeing as how bad they were against our terrible team.

It's a 10 point conference road win. I doubt it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
No shooters, one good ball handler, and no bigs.... bad combination
Maybe a try-out from the intramural league for a shooter is in order.

Reaction Score
Realistically, next year will be our breakout. Help is on its way, our freshman are getting good minutes, and we won't have to start 3 transfers.
lol if Ollie is still here we will probably be starting 2 transfers in Wilson and Cobb.

Reaction Score
He is the ONLY one who plays hard all game. This is my most hated take on this whole team.
Okay, he has his athletic disadvantages, but we lose by 20 without his defense, FTs, and ability to get in transition
Shot selection and wanted the foul call when he should be following a shot or getting back on d make him bad in this game. Love his heart. we are good when he plays only 15 minutes because everyone else plays just as hard as him and are more talented.

Reaction Score
Our shooting is our problem, not Ollie's coaching. Ollie's recruiting is why we are now a mid-level DI team. You can't win against top level teams with the personnel we have. High level DI teams put two or three players on the floor who can stroke outside shots in their sleep on a consistent basis. Our best players can't do this. Even TL is only consistent with wide open looks. His play from the outside off the dribble is poor most of the time. Adams, Anderson, and Vital can't hit the one dribble 16 foot pull-up with any consistency - even the announcer today said you should play a different sport if you are a guard and can't do this! Our bigs are obviously sub par for a good DI team. Ollie's recruiting is the problem - not his ability to coach a team. Also, team chemistry and collapses in play become a problem on any team when you are outmatched by talent every time you play. Any coach, at any level, knows the struggles of trying to win when your personnel is always over-matched. Why he can't recruit - I don't have the answer.
Might be right partly. But on coaching, KO is failing. The offense has no flow, there is no ball movement, and no shot selectivity - all teachable. D breaks down constantly - simply execution. Players don't box - teachable concept. No discipline or execution - the hallmark of KO teams.

Reaction Score
He is the ONLY one who plays hard all game. This is my most hated take on this whole team.
Okay, he has his athletic disadvantages, but we lose by 20 without his defense, FTs, and ability to get in transition
Adams and Larrier are very selfish with the ball. Can't blame CV for hoisting when the team will NEVER pass the rock and the Coach does not advocate passing. Everyone is out for their own, disgusting offensive game plan and execution.

WSU goes 45% because team passes the ball until their shooters get an open look. UCONN easily deceived by ball fakes.

Reaction Score
I’d love to know why Ollie continues to believe that Whaley and Onuorah have any business on the floor.

Three starters failed to score a single point today. You gotta start Anderson - understood - but the other two, good god, stop screwing this up on purpose.

Any idiot off the street would do a better job of rotating players than our head coach.

Bid Dave shouldn't play any longer. I'd like to see more Polley in the mix. Sadly, there are a lot of options along that bench.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Help has been 'on the way' for a few years now. Somehow, as if magically, it never arrives.

Reaction Score
Becay
We just have no shooters. It is so frustrating because there are a lot of shooters on mid major teams and I’ll never understand why we don’t go get a couple of them.
Because we don’t recruit them. We’d rather go after combo guards who can’t shoot and skinny wings who can’t shoot. The fundamentally sound slightly less athletic guy who can shoot holds no appeal to Kevin Ollie apparently.

Reaction Score
A ten point loss to a top ten team at home isn't too bad until you realize that its the high point of the 17-18 season. Bye Ollie.
Please list things Ollie should have done to win that game? I was watching looking for reasons for anyone to say fire Ollie. Didn't see any. Moving screen. Took the player out he sat on the bench. Adams dribbles and doesnt pass and turns it over, then Larrier turns it over then anderson walks. Then cobb chucks up a 3 cause he made the first chuck. He sat them they started to play better. They are playing a top 10 team and they showed it down the stretch and Adams wanted to take over and couldn't and then you lose. .... please tell me the reason this would be KO fault?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Becay

Because we don’t recruit them. We’d rather go after combo guards who can’t shoot and skinny wings who can’t shoot. The fundamentally sound slightly less athletic guy who can shoot holds no appeal to Kevin Ollie apparently.
KO couldn't shoot either so he recruits players that remind him of himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom