Official Silence the Shocker Game Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Official Silence the Shocker Game Thread

Reaction Score
Look. We played hard for most of the game. Played very good defense. Hit our foul shots for the most part. Didn’t have 20 turnovers. Actually passed a little and were a bit aggressive on both ends. Ollie had a plan that was within our players abilities. The issues were we cannot shoot. You cannot coach that in one summer,if so ,not enough to raise a whole team up 7-10% for the season. They returned an entire team that was very good last year with a load of seniors. We have 7 newcomers, and three( now 2) injured returnees, who have played 2 months together. I felt a lot better today. Now the real trick is playing well and as intense next game. Ollie seems to really be bailing water at this point while trying to keep his guys calm and teach a little. He was active and called timeouts at the right times today. This was just a better team. Funny that we played up to our to competition for 1/2 if MSU and 37 minutes today. Fatigue probably set in too. This is the first game I really felt the loss of Gilbert for speed ball handling perimeter defense and sharing minutes.

Reaction Score
Please list things Ollie should have done to win that game? I was watching looking for reasons for anyone to say fire Ollie. Didn't see any. Moving screen. Took the player out he sat on the bench. Adams dribbles and doesnt pass and turns it over, then Larrier turns it over then anderson walks. Then cobb chucks up a 3 cause he made the first chuck. He sat them they started to play better. They are playing a top 10 team and they showed it down the stretch and Adams wanted to take over and couldn't and then you lose. .... please tell me the reason this would be KO fault?
Agree was posting similar thoughts. Sorry guys. Looks like we have him until presidents weekend.

Reaction Score
The team had 5 assists early in the first, then back to me ball, no passing, just throwing it up. The more WS moved ahead, the more our offense hurried to throw up a hasty shot again. The only real play that worked was Larrier’s mid range jumper, but that was offset by his bricks from 3 point land

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Please list things Ollie should have done to win that game? I was watching looking for reasons for anyone to say fire Ollie. Didn't see any. Moving screen. Took the player out he sat on the bench. Adams dribbles and doesnt pass and turns it over, then Larrier turns it over then anderson walks. Then cobb chucks up a 3 cause he made the first chuck. He sat them they started to play better. They are playing a top 10 team and they showed it down the stretch and Adams wanted to take over and couldn't and then you lose. .... please tell me the reason this would be KO fault?

Run a few plays for good open looks in the last 5 minutes? Guys turn it over because there is no flow. They don't know where they or their teammates are supposed to be. It helps when you have a (practiced) plan to execute, instead of making split second decisions every time you touch the ball.

Reaction Score
Dude, I'm your biggest fan. If you don't see how incredibly broken this is, I don't know what to tell you.
You are a delusional human being because you think firing the coach would fix this.Time to buy a duke jersey Super john they will take you over there you'll be happier. we will be happier.

Reaction Score
Run a few plays for good open looks in the last 5 minutes? Guys turn it over because there is no flow. They don't know where they or their teammates are supposed to be. It helps when you have a (practiced) plan to execute.
The word from the announcer was chemistry. They have it. We can’t expect to with all this change.

Reaction Score
Adams is just a horrible shooter. Absolutely horrible. How many missed open looks and blocked layups does he have to have before KO demands that he drive-and-dish? It's sad to say he's the first option on offense when he can't put the ball in the ocean.
I especially enjoyed his drive and dish that hit the back of the backboard. He’s out of control

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The word from the announcer was chemistry. They have it. We can’t expect to with all this change.

Well, if they don't change, whether that's with a new coach or Ollie himself, they're are gonna get the same results. That's a sure bet.

And chemistry magically manifests itself when you run good, disciplined sets with regularity.

Reaction Score
Becay

Because we don’t recruit them. We’d rather go after combo guards who can’t shoot and skinny wings who can’t shoot. The fundamentally sound slightly less athletic guy who can shoot holds no appeal to Kevin Ollie apparently.
This x1000. Total NBA iso mindset. The idea of a less athletic pure shooter on the floor doesn't fit his world view or schemes.

Reaction Score
Run a few plays for good open looks in the last 5 minutes? Guys turn it over because there is no flow. They don't know where they or their teammates are supposed to be. It helps when you have a (practiced) plan to execute, instead of making split second decisions every time you touch the ball.
SO you think they need to practice more? He is running a motion offense and then they call for a high ball screen. I say that is on the players to be better no? My guess is they practice. I agree with a play call like the curl for larrier down lower. Up to the point guard to make it happen live. missing one an all american point guard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This x1000. Total NBA iso mindset. The idea of a less athletic pure shooter on the floor doesn't fit his world view or schemes.

Have you watched the NBA lately? The last thing I'd call it is iso ball. They run set after set. Lot's of ball movement.

Reaction Score

Quite simple. The concept of team basketball is nowhere to be found. The spacing and ball movement is terrible. After 13 games we don't have a starting lineup, ball movement or any real team oriented offense. It is all ISO and one on one, and frankly that's why UConn is 350th out of 351 D1 teams in assists.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Might be right partly. But on coaching, KO is failing. The offense has no flow, there is no ball movement, and no shot selectivity - all teachable. D breaks down constantly - simply execution. Players don't box - teachable concept. No discipline or execution - the hallmark of KO teams.
I can't argue with the fact that Ollie could be better with what he's got, but I don't think it's the biggest problem. Our personnel, collectively, is well-below other teams. I think many mistakes, inconsistency comes from this fact. Hard to play a perfect game against better competition. At some point players have to make stops, hit shots, get rebounds, make plays. Wichita State had guards on the wings who could make a ball fake or an up fake then step back and drill a 3 pointer with ease. We are not even close to that with any consistency. Ollie won a national championship in 2014 with a good team, but not the best team. He's not the idiot that many want to make him out to be. You have to have players... period. You're playing against other teams who have good coaching and players. Nonetheless, your point about Ollie needing to be better is well-taken. I just think it's only about 10% of the problem while the personnel is 90%. Just my humble opinion and maybe also my willingness to give a guy who is doing a tough job the benefit of the doubt...to many arm-chair quarterbacks on this site. :)

Reaction Score
Have you watched the NBA lately? The last thing I'd call it is iso ball. They run set after set. Lot's of ball movement.
Haven't watched in years because I can't stand the individual play focus.

Reaction Score
Forget about the Recruiting. Forget about not having shooters We have no HALF COURT OFFENSE. Even if your put Frankamp and Reaves on our team that wouldn't get open looks because we DONT MOVE THE BALL
We would. No reason to right now because of 2 words outside the restricted area with our shooting. Clank. And whiff. Can’t shoot. Plainly. Cannot shoot. Throwing the ball in the basket from a moderate distance is not something we can do.

Reaction Score
Well, if they don't change, whether that's with a new coach or Ollie himself, they're are gonna get the same results. That's a sure bet.

And chemistry magically manifests itself when you run good, disciplined sets with regularity.
I can’t disagree. But running great sets with no points being scored may do more damage as it will not be believed in. We cannot shoot. No good sets can cure that. Sadly one on one is all we have as our bigs are unreliable as well. Oddly going inside May be more efficient than our outside shooting. Think about that. Chill is here to recruit. He has been here for 6 months. He will find guys.

Reaction Score
lol if Ollie is still here we will probably be starting 2 transfers in Wilson and Cobb.
Although Wilson will be a transfer, his first collegiate game will be as a Husky. Cobb I do not see starting with the progression of Carlton. Mamadou, Whaley, Polley...bring back Gilbert and a good looking incoming class....the traditional positions should be filled for the near future and it won't be nearly as bad as this year. Jalen should not have to play 40 minutes a game and TL will proably be gone.
Ollie will be back and better armed. Gonna have to deal with it.

Reaction Score
Just looking back at the box score:

-Seems like we left a lot of good positive Diarra energy on the bench. Only got 16min, only had 2 fouls.

-Not a single minute for Kwintin. After he brought some energy and rebounding effort at Auburn was wondering if he'd get at least a few min today since WS is such a strong rebounding team overall.

-Adams only was scored for 3 official TOs. I swear he had at least 6-8 additional "unscored" TOs in the form of forced shots that were swatted, forced fadeaway 17footers, etc. Yes he had 6 assists but they really were all negated by these hero ball mistakes.

Reaction Score
Not sure what was worse. The team or the building they played in. What a dump the place has become. 20 min bathroom waits (some not even operating and closed)

Reaction Score
Just looking back at the box score:

-Seems like we left a lot of good positive Diarra energy on the bench. Only got 16min, only had 2 fouls.

-Not a single minute for Kwintin. After he brought some energy and rebounding effort at Auburn was wondering if he'd get at least a few min today since WS is such a strong rebounding team overall.

-Adams only was scored for 3 official TOs. I swear he had at least 6-8 additional "unscored" TOs in the form of forced shots that were swatted, forced fadeaway 17footers, etc. Yes he had 6 assists but they really were all negated by these hero ball mistakes.
The Kwintin thing is what bothers me. The kid is obviously very raw but after the heart, toughness and athleticism he showed against Auburn, how can he not even see the court?? David Onourah can start but Kwintin can’t even see the court?

Reaction Score
Although Wilson will be a transfer, his first collegiate game will be as a Husky. Cobb I do not see starting with the progression of Carlton. Mamadou, Whaley, Polley...bring back Gilbert and a good looking incoming class....the traditional positions should be filled for the near future and it won't be nearly as bad as this year. Jalen should not have to play 40 minutes a game and TL will proably be gone.
Ollie will be back and better armed. Gonna have to deal with it.
Imagine if they are good with Ollie as the coach in the next couple of years. What are all the ledge jumpers going to do?

Reaction Score
The Kwintin thing is what bothers me. The kid is obviously very raw but after the heart, toughness and athleticism he showed against Auburn, how can he not even see the court?? David Onourah can start but Kwintin can’t even see the court?
Agree he should be in over Dave just for the fact we will have him for 2 more years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom