Official NLI thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Official NLI thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree we got a great class. I would have preferred to have gotten Boyle and Lagow and Taylor as a multi-position athlete who could play QB, WR, and CB; BUT UConn needs 4 QBs on the roster, had to have a 2 QB class, if Lagow is only willing to come if we limit ourselves to 3 QB = fewer QBs than any other BCS program and too few to run a winning program, then Boyle and Taylor without Lagow is the best we can do.

I wish Richard the best, still would be happy to have him come and push Taylor to WR, but I suspect with all the emotion of the last few days he and his dad will probably find another landing spot. Hope it works out for them.

Reaction Score
Actually Manning didn't start until the other kid got hurt. midway through the season.

Yeah, that was a long time ago. But I am pretty sure that who was starting was irrelevant and Fulmer seemed to be rotating them in and out. I was at the Bama game that season, both QBs played in that one.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dude I could really give a crap less about Lagow. In fact to be quite honest, I've never really been a "players fan" as much as I am a fan of the team. I'm just saying practically everyone of your posts, no matter what sport/thread is about the idiocy of the athletic department. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree... you just take it to the god damn extreme and it comes off as nagging. Be honest, does P's tie really do anything wrong for you, not the hypothetical impressionable/mythical recruits who are obviously going to tear up their LOI's because of it, but you?

Maybe its me, but this board would be about 1000 times better if people didn't care about the stupid other people did/said.

things as small as p's tie matter to me. becuase its the differenc ebetween walking the walk overall as a school in the big boy culture or not. its that simple. and we dont.

red tie? sure when your alabama
ho about a blue shirt? chesus something
images

its about walking and pumping a culture.

Reaction Score
First of all I think we got a great class. Congrats to every one of them and their families.

Secondly, I'm glad we have 2 QB's. Maybe Kivon Taylor turns into a Teddy Bridgewater type who knows.

Third I really like Tim Boyle. Only saw him once Junior season state playoff but knew then we'd be very happy to have him. Has all the athletic tools and room to grow. Will he need some polishing and development? Sure he will, but I see him as Orlovsky + with an equal arm and added athletic talent.

Finally, it became apparent to me days ago that Mr. Lagow, while claiming to have turned over the entire decisionmaking process to his son, suddenly got deeply involved. He did a great job pumping his son to a large group of us who had never seen him play. When Boyle flipped he also wasted no time denigrating the talent level in Connecticut to the point of lecturing us. I played against Steve young in HS and while we're a small state there has been talent. One is now the starter for USC if you want to check.

Once he started mentioning communications fron at least 6 schools it seemed obvious it was over. Our coaches got the message Richard, or at least his dad was not fully committed and they saw something in Taylor that made it too big a risk to wait. I don't blame Mr. Lagow for wanting the best for his son, or even not wanting to make CT his next destination. We're not close to home. The laying of blame and stretching this thing out has consequences though. I hope things work out for Richard but I don't think it was handled well by KL even though he seems like a good guy. He rolled the dice for his son and I hope it works out for them, but on our end it was a business decision that had to be made. You didn't have to be a magician to read between the lines when the drama started.
I generally agree that this is probably how it went down except I think Daddy Lagow is probably a Joe McCoy clone. The dead giveaway was the line about being tougher than his kid and holding onto the LOI.

Reaction Score
PP is about as coherent as one of your posts b!thcing about the lack of talent in the UConn AD.

Pretty much. There are invertebrates that are more articulate than Coach P.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
PP is about as coherent as one of your posts b!thcing about the lack of talent in the UConn AD.

agree, but which way is it

1) does the ad have talent but its leader(warde) is a tard?
2)the ad really doesnt have any talent?

i would love to know which. we already know which of these is true for the players on the fball team.

Reaction Score
I generally agree that this is probably how it went down except I think Daddy Lagow is probably a Joe McCoy clone. The dead giveaway was the line about being tougher than his kid and holding onto the LOI.

I think when Richard's feeling better he's not going to be feeling better about how this went down.

Reactions: pj

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Definitely. Nobody is arguing against that, Dan.

ok so now is when i cry about how we need to legalize it like in colorado and tell ppl drinking is overrated. blue cups? no i like blue headies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
congrats to uconn for starting off strong today but fumbling the ball on the 3 yard line . maybe next year u will score, but more likely u will just fade away just like dj and never figure it out.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
"mcnabb redshirted so i think cole will also. hes 6'2 or last week more like 6'4. tall, well close tall."

are u all that freaking looney that u think thats a good 5 seconds of speach in a uconn press conf about kids signing?!?!??!?!?!

Didn't Calhoun talk about all his past great players. Non stop. It seemed like he did ok.

And honestly, I am not up on the ties he wore. But I would love to know if you approved of them.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
congrats to uconn for starting off strong today but fumbling the ball on the 3 yard line . maybe next year u will score, but more likely u will just fade away just like dj and never figure it out.

Yeah. We just signed our best class ever. And we fumbled it all away with wardrobe choices.

Really? You that dumb?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Mr. Lagow you might want to skip over this post.

I totally agree and I am calling "BS" on this one. I don't buy this for one second. RL may be sick but if he can tweet, he can sign his LOI. He doesn't need the dog and pony show, just the signed LOI. I understand it his big day, but in the end this is about getting a free education and playing football at a top notch institution. Have the media frenzy whenever you want. I have kids. My kid gets a high fever, I call the pediatrician. They say, give them Tylenol, see if the fever comes down. If not bring them in. they never say don't sign your signature, that's dangerous. What I don't get is he's tough enough to play with a broken bone, but he can't sign the LOI because of a high temp. Hmm???

Here's my crazy conspiracy theory.

RL was all UConn until a few days ago when the hometown kid with offers from BC, Florida, Pitt, UMass, Syracuse and UConn (not North Texas), was back in the mix. Now, he's not sure. He figures he maybe gets a RS year, if he doesn't win the job as a true frosh. Whitmer's gone in 2014, he's better then what we have in the cupboard. His comp is 6'0 Casey Cochran, who put up huge HS numbers against Pop Warner teams in CT. RL's a legit 6'6 and 8/16 and played in the best HS league in the country, won a 7v7 title, and holds offers from UConn and perennial powerhouse North Texas. He can win that job, be the starter for 4 years, 3 at the least. Then, BC changes coaches, Tim Boyle falls on UConn's doorstep. Local kid, big talent, big offers. Uh Oh!! RL's not the only sheriff in town anymore. Mr. Lagow's post start to raise eyebrows on here. He's trying to save face and at the same time get a feel for the local perspective on the new QB competition. Let's knock Boyle a bit, say he didn't want UConn, 2 QB's in one class won't work, this could change things for Richard....etc...etc. Let's put a feeler out there, see where this goes. The locals, for the most part, want both QBs. That ain't good. RL doesn't shy from competition.....but??? Son, let's hold on for a few more days. See what happens at other schools. North Texas will still be there, but maybe one of the big schools will have someone flip. If the situation's right, we find a new garage for the Raptor. They got that hometown kid now, he was offered by Florida and such. That ain't North Texas. The competition just got a bit stiffer, you sure you want to do this? Miles from home, competing against a local. You don't have the home field advantage. What if he's that good?

I don't think he will sign with us. He'll see what shakes out over the next day or two. If a school needs to add a QB late, he may find a home. If not he can always go to North Texas, play as a frosh and lead them to victory in the Gasex Chili Bowl.

With or without RL, we have one hell of a recruiting class in 2013.

Not a great to knock the kid considering we haven't bowled - even in the Gasex Chili Bowl - in two years. Look, we'd all like to have had him. But, it's a business and UConn did what they felt was in their best interest, and so should this kid. If he was your boy, you'd probably want that, right? Heaven forbid his pops do the same.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
JC: clearly, quite frankly, terrific terrific
RE: ...and things...
PP: 'kay, y'know, 'kay, 'yknow?

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that if Legow comes here he wins the starting job outright either his RS freshman or sophomore year outright? Because that's what this is all about.

I know, it's a crap shoot.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
2 QBs is pretty standard.

There are QBs that you recruit and if you get them to commit, you step. Lagow is probably talented, but from what we know right now, he isn't that caliber. Doesn't mean he won't be great someday...

Peyton Manning wasn't even the only QB Tennessee signed that year. He even split snaps with another true freshman his freshman year during the season. Forgot the other guy's name, he ended up transferring to Texas A&M.
I was listening to WEEI one morning. Boomer Esiason was once 7th on the depth chart at Maryland. He turned into pretty serviceable QB.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You might noticed I didn't approve of those interactions either.

Of course you can discuss the press conference. But most people here know you're nitpicking. We care about the program, too, you know. We just don't care what color P's tie is. We're happy about the incoming recruiting class and you tting all over a bunch of reporters and what the banner looks like isn't contributing anything in a positive way.

You could easily have written a press conference review and brought all of these things up afterwards as well. Just a thought.
Red's a power color.

Reaction Score
families are of the players and hes got a rutgers tie on talking about cuse players. friends of the players are, those are future fans of uconn becuase there best friends plays for them now. no one here gets it. it amazes me. it must be something in the dam water up in storrs or something. no one knows how to be big time. everything matters. everything. first impressions and brand power are important. we the bed daily.

Are you trolling or something? Everybody who went through the trouble of pulling that press conference up on their computer to sit through it and watch is a die-hard UConn fan. The parents of the recruits just had UConn/Pasqualoni take a HUGE financial burden off of their shoulders, giving them what amounts to about a 100 grand scholarship. Do you really think they give a flying duck about what kind of tie Pasqualoni is wearing or if there's a picture of a husky behind him?

Do you think that their friends(who I doubt are even watching) think about Pasqualoni not wearing a school polo for a second? Do you think they say "damn, that coach has a red tie on, I definitely can't root for them now even though one of my best friends is on the team"?

I would give your "first impression/brand power" crusade a little more credence if people actually gave a about some of the things you have suggested.

But tell us more about how we don't know anything and how awesome you'd be at running a D-1 athletic department.

pj

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that if Legow comes here he wins the starting job outright either his RS freshman or sophomore year outright? Because that's what this is all about.

I know, it's a crap shoot.

That's not what it's about. It's about (a) BCS programs have to have 4-5 QBs and depth at every position and competition at every position; (b) for whatever reason Richard Lagow's dad started having second thoughts about UConn when a new offensive coordinator came in and he realized UConn was seeking a 2 QB class. And he thought his son had the luxury of postponing his decision past signing day and letting schools re-recruit him.

Wherever he goes at this point, he'll have to grow, develop, and win a competition with 3-4 other QBs to become a starter. I would still like that school to be UConn but I think he should settle his mind and be ready to give himself without reservation to whatever school he chooses. College football is too big a commitment to pursue with anything less than full commitment. And he needs to be ready to cheer for his teammates, including the ones at his position. As they ought to cheer for him. May the best QB win, and everyone of them get a great education and training in football and life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
red tie? glad to know we changed our school colors to lousiville
That's probably a wife thing.

"You are going to be on tv? Well wear the red tie, it give you some color and makes you look like you are still alive."

Reaction Score
All this Stop could have been avoided if RL was just up front with what his intentions were. We didn't hear a peep out of him about being sick until around 1130. I still think there is a chance he signs here based on his last tweet. But who the hell knows.

"most people on the Internet have NO idea what they are talking about"

That for one thing is true. But prove us wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
That's not what it's about. It's about (a) BCS programs have to have 4-5 QBs and depth at every position and competition at every position; (b) for whatever reason Richard Lagow's dad started having second thoughts about UConn when a new offensive coordinator came in and he realized UConn was seeking a 2 QB class. And he thought his son had the luxury of postponing his decision past signing day and letting schools re-recruit him.

Wherever he goes at this point, he'll have to grow, develop, and win a competition with 3-4 other QBs to become a starter. I would still like that school to be UConn but I think he should settle his mind and be ready to give himself without reservation to whatever school he chooses. College football is too big a commitment to pursue with anything less than full commitment. And he needs to be ready to cheer for his teammates, including the ones at his position. As they ought to cheer for him. May the best QB win, and everyone of them get a great education and training in football and life.
I think that's what I meant. Wherever he goes he'll have to compete for the job. And he'll want to earn it sooner than later. So, how good is he?

Reaction Score
Wait, did someone get upset about the coaches tie? I have only been able to read some of the posts during my breaks, cant wait to go home to read them all.

"Unfortunately I will no longer be attending junior day at UCONN because Coach P wore a red tie during signing day".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin