Official NLI thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Official NLI thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand. What are you disagreeing with?

The "they better be right" part. It's not an exact science. You make the decisions you can based on the knowledge you have, but even if it turns out you were wrong, that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
P would be in the wrong if a letter showed up from a QB after Lagow's letter.

It's been known for days there is another commit who was willing to have another QB in his class. They recruited that QB knowing that it might impact the other commitment.

Everyone knew the deal and made their decisions accordingly.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's not about being right.....but doing the right thing.

Some of you need to think before you type.

Reaction Score
The "they better be right" part. It's not an exact science. You make the decisions you can based on the knowledge you have, but even if it turns out you were wrong, that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision.

WTF?

1. The phrase "they better be right" is never meant literally. They better be right or what? They die? Have to clean the house?

2. Of course you make the best decisions that you can, and of course you never know for sure how they are going to turn out, but that means you can't look back and call something the wrong decision? Man, if I were the guy who invented Diet Coke, I would pray to the almighty that you were the one running the company because in real life, I would have lost my job.

Seriously -- what in the world do you think you're arguing about?

Reaction Score
Huh! Talk about a shocker. This kid isn't here to play safety. This leads me to believe the staff wanted to qbs all along. This must have been a kid they were talking to when Boyle fell into their lap. When Lagow became so sick he couldn't fax a letter, our coaches got nervous and reversed course. This whole situation stinks on both ends.
I suspect you're right. They were looking to bring 2 quarterbacks this year. Had Boyle stayed with BC, we'd have had Lagow and Taylor. When Boyle committed it looked like he and Lagow would have been the guys, and that was both good in that we landed 2 D-1A calibre quarterbacks and bad in that you can have problems under that circumstance, (especially if 1 has a prickly daddy). Once Lagow bailed, and I have little doubt he bailed, we went back to Taylor. I suspect he was always on the list. If he's a good enough quarterback he'll have a shot there. If not he might be a good enough athlete to play somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I really hope sportsart and co. haven't screwed this up for us. If RL is truly just a sick kid today (which there is no reason not to believe) then some of the guys on here are acting like nothing more than giant steaming bags of .

Last I checked, it's the kid's life and decision not yours. Get over yourself. I don't ever recall you acting this way toward Mr. Griffin or the father of your beloved Kash. So why this time? Seriously, man, grow up.

So you are part of the delusional folks who think what we say matters in a recruit choosing a school. Not much that cna be said there.

Apparently you have not been paying attention to the other threads where Mr Lagow has been going on and on about everyhting under the sun, staff not honest, have choices to make, etc.

I and everyone else were very supportive but after a while it's time to say enough.

I never doubted for a minute, well maybe 30 seconds that the kid was sick, but until he makes up his mind, his future should not have been discussed on this board for days.

I even posted that all of his comments would be read by PP's staff but it was probably too late. If I'm a coach and I read a parent having strong second thoughts and not calling me I'm going to cover all bases.

Doubtful this Walker kid is coming in for QB but if I'm Richard's father I'm finding out the facts and not assuming and discussing it on here.

As for Kash's dad or Joe Griffin they never discussed their kid in this manner before or after LOI day.

I'm quite sure Mr Lagow and Rich are fine people but this donversation on here needs to end now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except of course for whaler, who couldnt wait a few days to start dropping bombs....

LOL. 'Dropping Bombs'. This is D-I football. If you don't sign your letter the school moves on. Trying to make excuses and pass blame is childish.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to be the only recruit in a class. I would approach it that way for myself and advise any relative of mine to do the same.

The staff recruited another player at the position. They knew what might happen and clearly are OK with it. It wasn't done in an underhanded way - it was all very public information.

If you disagree that the staff should have put the commitment at risk because you think Player A is better than Player B - that's fine. But don't try to pretend that the staff screwed anyone or didn't behave ethically.

Reaction Score
There are several possibilities here:

(a) Taylor is being looked at as a WR or S, or just an athlete without a position at this point,

(b) Lagow had already informed the staff that he's not coming (I think this is unlikely), or

(c) The staff didn't think that Lagow was good enough to warrant waiting it out to see if he would sign, and scooped up the next best available option.

I'm hoping it's (a), assuming it's (c). Clearly, the staff valued Boyle more than Lagow, or they would not have risked losing him. Explanation (c) is consistent with how the staff appears to feel. I hope they're right, but I can't say I trust their judgment as they have not proven their talent evaluation skills to this point.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Sounds similar to another TX recruit we had 9 years ago. For those who don't remember, we had an offer out to a RB from Texas named Justin Forsett. We had offered him, but he was dragging out the process as he was hoping to land an offer from Notre Dame. Right before the signing deadline, we told him either you sign or we are moving on to the 'next guy'. He continued to drag out the process trying to get a ND offer while holding onto the UConn offer. Edsall cut bait and offered the next guy on our list. Forsett lost his UConn offer, never got a ND offer, and had no offers on signing day. Forsett ended up over playing his hand and was shocked that he got left with no offers at the end of the day.

It actually ended up working out well for both UConn and Forsett. The 2004 class was one of our best classes ever, and Forsett ending up getting an offer from California (but not until April...that must have been a horrible 2 months for him). He ended up having a great college career and is now in the NFL.

Sounds very similar to the Lagow situation. He didn't like the addition of Boyle at the last minute and was trying to drag it out to look for other options...then UConn pulled the plug. Hopefully the situation works out just like the last TX recruit who this happend to and Lagow ends up finding a great landing spot and has great future success (hopefully it is not Houston or SMU though...could you imagine the story lines in 3 years if he tears it up for a conference foe?).

pj

Reaction Score
pj,

read bl's post as few pages back. I bet he nailed it.

BL's take doesn't seem consistent with Mr Lagow's posts. Mr Lagow has said nothing of UConn coaches giving Richard a deadline of any sort.

Taylor is presumably a safe offer because if they're short-handed at QB (ie if Lagow doesn't come) they can give him a chance to provide depth at QB and maybe he will develop into a player; if not or if they're well-stocked at QB, he has the athleticism to play receiver and has potential to be a playmaker there. They had slots and he provides depth at several positions.

I can understand the confusion being very upsetting and disturbing to the Lagows. These dead periods must be very frustrating when you want an explanation. They understandably want to have confident knowledge of how they fit in UConn's plans.

I just hope that if UConn is the right spot for Richard, any misunderstandings are worked out and he ends up in Storrs.

Reaction Score
2. Of course you make the best decisions that you can, and of course you never know for sure how they are going to turn out, but that means you can't look back and call something the wrong decision? Man, if I were the guy who invented Diet Coke, I would pray to the almighty that you were the one running the company because in real life, I would have lost my job.

I assume you mean Crystal Coke? Cause last I checked, Diet Coke was doing alright.

I just think the premise is flawed because in a game like recruiting, you're going to be wrong quite a bit, and it's not fair to judge someone strictly based on the decisions that didn't pan out. Just because the results suck doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision given what you knew at the time.

An example: I make an investment in a company based on sound economics. Turns out they were fudging the sheets, the company goes bankrupt, etc. The results were bad -- but that didn't mean the decision was bad based upon what I knew at the time.

I think sometimes we have a tendency to overvalue results rather than making informed decisions. In reality, decision-making is incredibly complex and the best we can hope for is to try to make informed, intelligent decisions that pan out a good amount of the time. Never making mistakes just isn't a feasible goal.

Reaction Score
JohnFSilver 1:29pm via Echofon
Cole Ormsby at a signing day ceremony with brother Lance. Cole is headed to UConn. Lance to CCSU. lockerz.com/s/281809565

x2_10cc129d

Reaction Score
Apparently you have not been paying attention to the other threads where Mr Lagow has been going on and on about everyhting under the sun, staff not honest, have choices to make, etc.

I'm aware of the previous conversations, etc. And you may be exactly right with everything you've said, but I strongly believe neither that nor anonymity gives you or any of us the right to be a . And I am damn sure the vast majority of our fellow BY idiots agrees with me.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
kion plays bball also. in fball he was elected for the ga hs all star game. he visited uk in the fall for a visit. uk was recruiting him as a ath not qb fwiw.

pj

Reaction Score
There are several possibilities here:

(a) Taylor is being looked at as a WR or S, or just an athlete without a position at this point,

(b) Lagow had already informed the staff that he's not coming (I think this is unlikely), or

(c) The staff didn't think that Lagow was good enough to warrant waiting it out to see if he would sign, and scooped up the next best available option.

I'm hoping it's (a), assuming it's (c). Clearly, the staff valued Boyle more than Lagow, or they would not have risked losing him. Explanation (c) is consistent with how the staff appears to feel. I hope they're right, but I can't say I trust their judgment as they have not proven their talent evaluation skills to this point.

No, I think it's more likely (d): Taylor is an athlete providing depth at QB/WR/maybe others. In their review of the failed 2012 season they concluded they can't go into a season again with fewer than 4 QBs. They needed to land 2 QBs. Taylor is a QB if Lagow doesn't come and a receiver if he does. Either way they have 4 QBs, which is basically a minimum for a BCS school to function.

I also don't see any evidence they valued Boyle more than Lagow. They just needed to have 4 QBs.

Maybe Lagow isn't going to give UConn the opportunity to have 4 QBs including him. If so I'd be extremely disappointed because I think that's a losing outcome for both sides. Certainly for UConn it is.

Reaction Score
Having gone to UConn from 91-95, sitting in the bottom floor of the library typing away on a UNIX shell station with its orange on black text and wondering why someone I think is college age is acting like a 10 year old, only to find out it is a 10 year old dialing in from home, I wonder why we don't read about or hear about more beatings of people who mouth off IRL as if they were speaking on the internets. Honestly the lack of any sort of filter, and the ability to be down right nasty with no consequence just makes me wonder sometimes.

I see some young kids today, wonder if they are going to get clobbered and then asked if they forgot they weren't on the internet. Unfortunately, a lot on this board don't even seem to be young kids.

Reaction Score
I assume you mean Crystal Coke? Cause last I checked, Diet Coke was doing alright.

I just think the premise is flawed because in a game like recruiting, you're going to be wrong quite a bit, and it's not fair to judge someone strictly based on the decisions that didn't pan out. Just because the results suck doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision given what you knew at the time.

An example: I make an investment in a company based on sound economics. Turns out they were fudging the sheets, the company goes bankrupt, etc. The results were bad -- but that didn't mean the decision was bad based upon what I knew at the time.

I think sometimes we have a tendency to overvalue results rather than making informed decisions. In reality, decision-making is incredibly complex and the best we can hope for is to try to make informed, intelligent decisions that pan out a good amount of the time. Never making mistakes just isn't a feasible goal.

New Coke. My bad.

You are analyzing my post as if I am criticizing the staff. I have said at least four times today, the best I can tell boyle was higher on their board and, that being the case, they did the right thing by going for him. But when you drive out a well thought of QB whom verballed over half a year ago, you have to be ready for the consequences of your decision. Just as you do when you invest.
y

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
These dead periods must be very frustrating when you want an explanation. They understandably want to have confident knowledge of how they fit in UConn's plans.

I am pretty sure the dead period only applies to coaches/schools contacting recruits and not vice versa. A recruit or his family can call a coach/school any time they want...there are no restrictions. The dead period only applies to coaches/schools initiating the contact. That is my understanding (although, I could be completely wrong).

Reaction Score
From SNY's website. Scheduled for 330pm according to uconnhuskies.com

Football

pasqualoni_150x150.jpg

Paul Pasqualoni
  • 5 live football games
  • 12 episodes of Huskies Power Hour
  • 12 full game re-airs Classic football games library
  • Coach's Weekly Press Conference
  • Season Preview Special
  • Season Review/Bowl Preview Special
  • Game Preview Segments (in SportsNite)
  • Post-game shows (following all SNY telecasts)
  • Signing Day Press Conference
  • SNY Spotlight Series: Paul Pasqualoni
  • VOD features

Reaction Score
Yeah, I really hope sportsart and co. haven't screwed this up for us. If RL is truly just a sick kid today (which there is no reason not to believe) then some of the guys on here are acting like nothing more than giant steaming bags of .

Seriously? This is ridiculous. If anything written on this website in the past few days had direct influence on this family, and their decision making process, that should make you significnatly concerned for the kids' future as he develops into a young man and is responsible for his own choices.

I'm experienced in many things (which you should all take with a grain of salt as it's an internet board - me claiming that) and one of them is something called triage. All physicians are trained in the basics of it, but never really use it as people like me did.

If the kid has been to a doctor this morning, and is home in bed with a fever, he's more than capable of both being mentally sound enough to make the choice and decision to sign the letter, and then physically do it. Either this kid chose not to sign it on his own, or he was advised not to sign it, and didn't have his guardians/parents/advisors permission to sign it, or he literally,, thought it was ok to take a scholarship offer to the University of Connecticut and wait a day, and make a spectacle out of it. Which in any of those cases, I think he was poorly advised.

Paul Pasqualoni has been a head coach recruiting for a long, long time and recruited and landed (and lost) some very good student athletes going back to the 1980 thorough this 2013 class. This isn't the guy to try to play hardball with, especially at this stage of his career.

Like it or not, it appears we've lost a commit at the QB position out of Texas, and clearly moved on. I guarantee that future recruits in Texas are going to realize that if they want the scholarship, don't play games.

In recruiting, your rep is all you got. I've outlined the QB's that have been recruited to UCONN and made it through to graduation. Two NFL players. A record setter in the arena league, that unlike Kurt Warner, just didn't get his card pulled for the NFL, CEO's, Athletic Directors, high level academic and business administrators. Professional football? Graduate UCONN and you can do it. Highest level business careers? Graduate UCONN and youc an do it.

that's what a UCONN scholarship is.

You want to talk about competition - that's the competition.

I'm done entertaining this mess. And I am really looking forward to playing SMU.

Today is the day to celebrate the class of 2013. I hope they all kick ass on the field, and graduate.

Reaction Score
No, I think it's more likely (d): Taylor is an athlete providing depth at QB/WR/maybe others. In their review of the failed 2012 season they concluded they can't go into a season again with fewer than 4 QBs. They needed to land 2 QBs. Taylor is a QB if Lagow doesn't come and a receiver if he does. Either way they have 4 QBs, which is basically a minimum for a BCS school to function.

I also don't see any evidence they valued Boyle more than Lagow. They just needed to have 4 QBs.

Maybe Lagow isn't going to give UConn the opportunity to have 4 QBs including him. If so I'd be extremely disappointed because I think that's a losing outcome for both sides. Certainly for UConn it is.

The pursuit of Boyle (as well as the other kid who went to Or. St.) in the face of public comments from Lagow that he may reconsider if we take a second QB doesn't constitute "evidence"?

Anyway, (d) is a variation of (a), just (IMO) a less likely one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
BL's take doesn't seem consistent with Mr Lagow's posts. Mr Lagow has said nothing of UConn coaches giving Richard a deadline of any sort.

Taylor is presumably a safe offer because if they're short-handed at QB (ie if Lagow doesn't come) they can give him a chance to provide depth at QB and maybe he will develop into a player; if not or if they're well-stocked at QB, he has the athleticism to play receiver and has potential to be a playmaker there. They had slots and he provides depth at several positions.

I can understand the confusion being very upsetting and disturbing to the Lagows. These dead periods must be very frustrating when you want an explanation. They understandably want to have confident knowledge of how they fit in UConn's plans.

I just hope that if UConn is the right spot for Richard, any misunderstandings are worked out and he ends up in Storrs.

The best player plays, regardless of experience, class, or if there are mutiple untested 18 year old quarterbacks in the same year. You make the best possible decision with imperfect information. Welcome to life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom