Official Maim the Mustangs Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Official Maim the Mustangs Game Thread

Reaction Score
What do you plan to do about it then?

Since when did losing by 10 become "good

Edit: 8.

Also the line was 7 so SMU did a bit better than the experts predicted them to do.

Reaction Score
Purvis is having a bad shooting year. He was shooting 36% coming into the game from 2! Not 3. Now that will even go down amazingly.

Yes. Overall, a bad year. But as the announcers said repeatedly, his numbers are up the last several games. I believe Dedes said he was 53% from 3 the last 7 games. Which is why you want him shooting. His streak wasbound to end though, and it ended today.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Who else take shots? I'm not saying Purvis should turn his light completely off, everything is so black and white on this board.

Guys like Vital and Jackson were hitting their shots all game long, and Facey was doing damage in the midrange it's worth giving him a look when down 6 with 6 minutes or so to go.

Purvis trying to play like Shabazz and pulling up off the dribble while rolling around high ball screens isn't going to work, it never has that's just not his game. If Purvis' feet aren't set for a 3pter that shot's percentage is shockingly low.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of this, but at some point this program's reputation has to become more than "keeps playing hard through adversity".

But that's what I'm alluding to in the post. The expectations for this year's team vary drastically with the expectations for the program as a whole- and that's okay. If we have a full healthy roster next season and the results are similar the reaction here will be a lot different. With what has happened this season at this point it is about supporting the kids and the team however far they are able to go

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Since when did losing by 10 become "good"
Who said it was?

It is possible for something to be neither good nor bad. It just is. That's what this is.

Losing players is bad. Losing games when you have lost this many players just is what it is. Expected.

H

huskymagic

"Battling through adversity" is the new Olliesm. That explains the Ollie suit he is battling through adversity so he needed something to cheer up the crowd.

Reaction Score
But that's what I'm alluding to in the post. The expectations for this year's team vary drastically with the expectations for the program as a whole- and that's okay. If we have a full healthy roster next season and the results are similar the reaction here will be a lot different. With what has happened this season at this point it is about supporting the kids and the team however far they are able to go

Again, agreed.

I just get tired of people (not you) already building in excuses for next year, as if they're OK with this program having mediocre expectations going forward.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nah, should have made an effort to go to Facey. He had those two great takes and then I don't remember him touching the ball for the next 5 minutes.
We did. They sent a hard double at Facey any time he caught the ball with 10 minutes left. He made one nice play out of it – a kick out to the top of the key for an open Purvis (or Jackson, i don't remember exactly) three.

SMU's a very good defenisve team. They don't let you beat them with the same stuff every time down the court, and our guys didn't quite execute well enough to get over the hump.

Reaction Score
Again, agreed.

I just get tired of people (not you) already building in excuses for next year, as if they're OK with this program having mediocre expectations going forward.

This is exactly what I was trying to say with my last post. People here are complacent and ok that we didn't get "blown out" and kept it semi-close. That's not Uconn basketball. We are a blue blood program.

Reaction Score
Yup, quite low indeed..But looking at it another way..with all the injuries, trials and tribulations, it could have been worse. Uconn could have easily folded like 10-18 texas, could have easily been blown out by 30.

Texas is in a much better conference than we are. We have a .500 record because of some pretty dreadful teams in the AAC. If we were in the Big 12 we would have a lot more losses than we currently do and our record would probably be worse than 10-18.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Nah, should have made an effort to go to Facey. He had those two great takes and then I don't remember him touching the ball for the next 5 minutes.
They doubled him consistently in the last 10 minutes, forced him to either move away from the paint or give up the ball.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I was trying to say with my last post. People here are complacent and ok that we didn't get "blown out" and kept it semi-close. That's not Uconn basketball. We are a blue blood program.

No, people here are level-headed enough to realize that UConn's been short-handed all year long and are doing their best to win games with who they have left on the roster THIS year. Also that SMU is very good and beating them today, although not glamorous in the perspective of our signature victories the last 25-30 years, would have been a very impressive win. But nobody could hit a shot from outside, so no dice.

And nice of you to show up and take a dump on the game thread after the game is over.

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me some posters keep trying to discount SMU with the "how far have we fallen" bs. We just battled a legit top 25 (in my opinion top 15) team in the country with virtually nobody left on the roster and our leader getting hurt halfway through. It's okay to be proud of this team for fighting and not giving up without meaning we're lowering our standards for success. SMU is a good if not great team. Deal with it.
Who will get knocked out early in the tourney. Ugh!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They sagged on him. Left Brimah alone. Easy call to make.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of this, but at some point this program's reputation has to become more than "keeps playing hard through adversity".
I'm hoping that happens when adversity ends. This has been a shti show of bad things happening since JC left and part of that is a vendetta Emmert had with JC. Not KO's doing.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a special defensive talent. I feel bad for Brimah and Facey that coaching and guard play has let them down. They deserve better.
No, he's a good shot blocker only. Defensive rebounding also counts. Because he leaves his man to attempt a shot block, it opens up under the basket for the opponents' offensive rebound and they score pretty often. As others have pointed out, guards that drive the middle get their shots off against him or drive by him easily. Give me Jake Voskuhl instead!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom