Off-season threads | The Boneyard

Off-season threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sadly, the fabulous season we've all come to love (although some of you had your doubts earlier, right? Fess up....) has come to an end. Here on the Boneyard we do welcome off-topic threads during this time. In the past we've discussed our education and our professions, kids, food - you name it. If you just want to chat, go ahead but please do mark the threads as OT.

Threads can wander into controversial topics but I don't encourage such forays unless we can directly link them to women's basketball. And politics is never allowed here.For that, there is the aptly named Cesspool.

Of course, we still discuss basketball. Any of youse guys that want to ask questions about bball but might have been embarrased to ask, go right ahead. Want to know the difference between a small forward and a power forward or blocking foul vs a charge? Speak up! These questions have sparked lively conversations in the past.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This reminds me--

When's the next 'Lurker Day'?

:)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Sadly, the fabulous season we've all come to love (although some of you had your doubts earlier, right? Fess up....) has come to an end. Here on the Boneyard we do welcome off-topic threads during this time. In the past we've discussed our education and our professions, kids, food - you name it. If you just want to chat, go ahead but please do mark the threads as OT.

Threads can wander into controversial topics but I don't encourage such forays unless we can directly link them to women's basketball. And politics is never allowed here.For that, there is the aptly named Cesspool.

Of course, we still discuss basketball. Any of youse guys that want to ask questions about bball but might have been embarrased to ask, go right ahead. Want to know the difference between a small forward and a power forward or blocking foul vs a charge? Speak up! These questions have sparked lively conversations in the past.
Husky Nan- I would love to know how so much really dangerous tripping and leg whipping goes on without a call - especially in the paint. there are a lot of "subltle" knees and leg whipping that doesnt get called. When I watch and watch the replays, I see stuff that is really dangerous possibly career ending things that go on with no calls during the game. I hope the officials review, notice this stuff, and notify the teams and players of the incidents. I never hear anything about these things- but I have seen alot potentially dangerous things that really should have been addressed. And they very well may have! Also-As a new member, it's nice to be among fellow fanatics! it makes me feel more normal than when I'm with my "other" friends that just don't get this!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Husky Nan- I would love to know how so much really dangerous tripping and leg whipping goes on without a call - especially in the paint. there are a lot of "subltle" knees and leg whipping that doesnt get called. When I watch and watch the replays, I see stuff that is really dangerous possibly career ending things that go on with no calls during the game. I hope the officials review, notice this stuff, and notify the teams and players of the incidents. I never hear anything about these things- but I have seen alot potentially dangerous things that really should have been addressed. And they very well may have! Also-As a new member, it's nice to be among fellow fanatics! it makes me feel more normal than when I'm with my "other" friends that just don't get this!
I don't think most people consider this particularly dangerous and I am not sure I see that much of it. The most dangerous action (beyond total takeouts) around the basket is undercutting of players when they are either going for rebounds or layups. And often this is really unintentional on rebounds - a result of two players pushing against each out and then on player jumping while the other is not expecting the sudden loss of resistance and overbalancing under the jumper. The danger comes when the player comes down on their head/shoulder/torso from four or five feet without being able to use their arms to break the fall. On the tripping, I think most of it is an unintentional result of players keeping a wide defensive stance. And of course players trying to block a pass using their legs. I really do not see much intentional tripping or any leg whips. Players do get their feet tangled a lot, but that is common anytime you have two or more people running in close proximity and changing directions.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
..when you figure out the difference between a blocking foul and a charge, please let us know..and let Bonita Spence know..and Dee Katner know..and all dem other officials!:rolleyes:
Took the words right out of my mouth.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm looking forward to the first "Who will the starting point guard be?" thread. :rolleyes:
Is there really even any debate on that one?!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Dolson fighting thru the pain to be a factor in the tournament and looking forward to even better things next year from her.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think at this point anyone on the team is a candidate to be point guard.... Except Morgan perhaps. :)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is the exact place for this...But I was wondering about the 3 second rule. I run the clock to intramural basketball at my school and the refs (who are fellow students) call the 3 second rule and I've never been confused by it. But today they called it and someone on the side said to the person next to him something along the lines of "He had the ball in his hands and they called it on him" So if anyone could explain this rule to me that would be great.

Also, is this the rule they just added to the WNBA?

Reaction Score
..when you figure out the difference between a blocking foul and a charge, please let us know..and let Bonita Spence know..and Dee Katner know..and all dem other officials!:rolleyes:

Today it's very confusing.As an old timer who played thru high school , boys club and in the service it was if you beat your man to the spot and they did not have their lead shoulder past the defender, it was a charge.What is it now ?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is the exact place for this...But I was wondering about the 3 second rule. I run the clock to intramural basketball at my school and the refs (who are fellow students) call the 3 second rule and I've never been confused by it. But today they called it and someone on the side said to the person next to him something along the lines of "He had the ball in his hands and they called it on him" So if anyone could explain this rule to me that would be great.

Also, is this the rule they just added to the WNBA?

The rule they just added in the WNBA is the defensive 3-second rule (I haven't seen details).

The 3-second rule is generally only called on (offensive) players who are posting up waiting for the ball, or loitering in the lane but have not yet received the ball. Technically they are supposed to either A) exit the lane completely or touch their feet (foot?) outside the paint within 3 seconds before going back in, or B) receive the ball and make a field goal attempt, or at least a move toward an attempt. If not, they are called for a violation. In practice, players will often be in the lane for 3 seconds or longer, then receive the ball, then attempt to pivot, dribble, pick the ball back up, etc. before shooting or driving to the hoop. Only a shot or a move toward the hoop is supposed to 'suspend' the 3 second count, not the other stuff.

In reality, 3 seconds is rarely called unless a post player is lingering for a noticably long time without receiving the ball. Very rarely, if a player is trying to get a shot off around the basket but is really being defended well so that they have to pump fake several times, or pivot several times, etc., they will get whistled for 3 seconds. That hardly ever happens. More often, like the person you heard said, when the player gets the ball and is at least doing something with it, the refs are very unlikely to call 3 seconds.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation VAmike! I kind of felt like that's what it was but after hearing that side comment I second guessed myself.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation VAmike! I kind of felt like that's what it was but after hearing that side comment I second guessed myself.

no prob -

Sometimes refs will call 3 seconds when the player in the lane receives the ball because it all of a sudden focuses their attention on the fact that that particular body has been there 'awhile' - usually in the same spot or thereabouts.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

........"I know it when I see it."

Oliver_Wendell_Holmes.jpg

................- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO based how the season went, UConn stole this years Championship and it makes up for the one they lost two years ago. I say they stole it because the overall dominating favorite at the end of the Regular Season was Baylor would win the Championship. Even after Baylor was eliminated many "Experts" thought Notre Dame was now in the Driver's Seat. How wrong they were. As the tournament progressed, many "Experts" started to change their opinion and UConn started to become a slight favorite. Still many were surprised on how easily UConn dominated Notre Dame and knew UConn would win after that happened. Through the Regular Season, Big East Tournament and the NCAA tournament only "Tony C" and some other UConn fans knew without a shadow of a doubt that UConn would win it all. I was one of the doubtful until the team beat Notre Dame.

I say this makes up for the one they lost two years ago, because then UConn was the Overwhelming Favorite especially when Baylor was eliminated. Even if Baylor wasn't eliminated, the "Experts" had UConn as the overwhelming favorite because of Maya being the best player in the country.

Reaction Score

Actually it's an epidemic.

Jay bilas and others have been complaining about it in MCBB as well. He says about 90% of charges are actually blocks.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Icebear, "point center" is a brilliant call...!! perfect....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom