Of the 5 incoming freshmen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Of the 5 incoming freshmen

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Castle is a good shooter.

If you only look at his percentages, you might get the impression that's not the case.

That would be wrong.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised Diarra is staying I would think he would transfer if he wants more minutes. If even one of these freshman take off besides Castle then he’ll be lucky to see the floor
He'd have to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued with all and heck I’ve never seen anything but what people post here on video. But there’s something about Stewart’s game highlights that really have me thinking diamond in the rough. Just the post up and fade away jumpers, score in traffic, range along with his ability to handle for a big guy. Excited about them all though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Question, let’s say Newton and AJ come back.

If Castle has been told he’s the PG and will start, and we saw Newton struggle when playing off ball last year before switching his and Andre’s role, and Timberlake is suppose to be the natural replacement for Hawkins, how does all of that work?

Reaction Score
Question, let’s say Newton and AJ come back.

If Castle has been told he’s the PG and will start, and we saw Newton struggle when playing off ball last year before switching his and Andre’s role, and Timberlake is suppose to be the natural replacement for Hawkins, how does all of that work?
People get hung up on starting lineups, but after the first 5 minutes it doesn't matter and all 6 guys can get their 25+ minutes easily.

As for Newton, I don't think it was so much that he struggled off ball, as he just struggled figuring out how to adapt to the new role. He was still playing off the ball some, he just learned to play way more aggressive and attack the basket within that role

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
People get hung up on starting lineups, but after the first 5 minutes it doesn't matter and all 6 guys can get their 25+ minutes easily.

As for Newton, I don't think it was so much that he struggled off ball, as he just struggled figuring out how to adapt to the new role. He was still playing off the ball some, he just learned to play way more aggressive and attack the basket within that role
We started succeeding when Newton ran the show more and Andre learned how to play off ball though. Newton was essentially Steph in the offense and Andre became Draymond.

Even if we’re not talking about the starting lineup, who’s the finishing lineup in this case?

Reaction Score
We started succeeding when Newton ran the show more and Andre learned how to play off ball though. Newton was essentially Steph in the offense and Andre became Draymond.

Even if we’re not talking about the starting lineup, who’s the finishing lineup in this case?
In the last 15 game stretch where we went 13-2, Newton averaged 5.5 assists per game and Jackson averaged 6.3 assists per game. Both of them were getting a lot of opportunities to run the offense, and Castle isn't a prototypical small PG where he can't split time on and off ball the same way. It won't be an issue

Finishing lineup is hard to say because it'll constantly change depending on what we need. Down 3 you bring Timberlake in for Jackson on offense. Need a stop? You bring in Jackson or even Diarra for Timberlake and/or Castle depending on how their defense is

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Spot on.

I had a response typed up to that post as well, I just don't see it as an issue. Jackson, Castle and Newton are all capable of running our offense, especially when 2 or 3 are on the court simultaneously.

Castle can shoot enough, and Karaban and Newton are both snipers. I wouldn't be worried about that specific lineup's shooting ability.

Timberlake will be our 3rd sniper out of our top 6. That's plenty of shooting.

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued with all and heck I’ve never seen anything but what people post here on video. But there’s something about Stewart’s game highlights that really have me thinking diamond in the rough. Just the post up and fade away jumpers, score in traffic, range along with his ability to handle for a big guy. Excited about them all though.
He isn't a diamond in the rough, he is ranked in the 60s, I think that almost every program in the country would be planning on either starting him or having him be their 6th man

Reaction Score
Spot on.

I had a response typed up to that post as well, I just don't see it as an issue. Jackson, Castle and Newton are all capable of running our offense, especially when 2 or 3 are on the court simultaneously.

Castle can shoot enough, and Karaban and Newton are both snipers. I wouldn't be worried about that specific lineup's shooting ability.

Timberlake will be our 3rd sniper out of our top 6. That's plenty of shooting.

In this lineup, we will be relying on Castle to be a decent or better shooter a lot of the time. You really can't have a starting lineup with 2 shooters in 2023 and expect to have the level of success we should be aiming for. He is an okay shooter now but has rapidly improved over the last 18 months. With better shot selection and an off-season in the gym, I would expect 35% or better from him on a couple-few attempts per game.

I'm most excited about having multiple guys that can catch a body and draw fouls at the rim. We really only had one last year (Newton) and it showed during our bad stretch mid-season. Castle, Ball, Stewart all absorb contact really well. Clingan is going to get fouled a lot (and even more if he doesn't improve his foul shooting). I wouldn't be surprised if we were close to leading the nation in fouls drawn per game. We're going to have opponents on their heels A LOT.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In this lineup, we will be relying on Castle to be a decent or better shooter a lot of the time. You really can't have a starting lineup with 2 shooters in 2023 and expect to have the level of success we should be aiming for. He is an okay shooter now but has rapidly improved over the last 18 months. With better shot selection and an off-season in the gym, I would expect 35% or better from him on a couple-few attempts per game.

I'm most excited about having multiple guys that can catch a body and draw fouls at the rim. We really only had one last year (Newton) and it showed during our bad stretch mid-season. Castle, Ball, Stewart all absorb contact really well. Clingan is going to get fouled a lot (and even more if he doesn't improve his foul shooting). I wouldn't be surprised if we were close to leading the nation in fouls drawn per game. We're going to have opponents on their heels A LOT.

Yep, that's basically what I was saying. Castle is no sniper but he's not inept and he will only get better. He will get to the rack and provide that aspect of our offense, for himself and others.

At any given point, we will have lineups with 2 or 3 excellent 3 point shooters. We could run lineups with 4 good shooters if you went Newton, Timberlake, whoever, Karaban and Samson.

Overall, Hurley will be able to mix and match lineups where we always have 2 great and 1-2 solid shooters on the floor. I think that was mostly @navery12 point and I fully agree. Not worried in the least about our offense if that's our roster.

Reaction Score
Sampson Johnson is not a 5. His body and athleticism puts him as a 4.
His length allows him to play the 5. If he can add some muscle I'm sure he will be the backup 5 to Clingan. Singare is just too rough around the edges to backup at the 5. Either way we will see when they are on the court. I would think if Johnson is staying that he knows he can get the minutes and that will have to be at both the 4 and the 5 position to make it worth it.

Reaction Score
6'10 215-220 is just fine for a stretch 5, and if he can't back up clingan than who will? singare is more likely to RS than be our backup C.

Reaction Score
Yep, that's basically what I was saying. Castle is no sniper but he's not inept and he will only get better. He will get to the rack and provide that aspect of our offense, for himself and others.

At any given point, we will have lineups with 2 or 3 excellent 3 point shooters. We could run lineups with 4 good shooters if you went Newton, Timberlake, whoever, Karaban and Samson.

Overall, Hurley will be able to mix and match lineups where we always have 2 great and 1-2 solid shooters on the floor. I think that was mostly @navery12 point and I fully agree. Not worried in the least about our offense if that's our roster.
It’s a stretch to call Newton an excellent 3 point shooter, and a bigger stretch to call Samson good.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It’s a stretch to call Newton an excellent 3 point shooter, and a bigger stretch to call Samson good.

I disagree. But I could change it to "very good" and "potentially very good for his position." Point would remain, there's plenty of shooting and scoring in that roster.

Reaction Score
His length allows him to play the 5. If he can add some muscle I'm sure he will be the backup 5 to Clingan. Singare is just too rough around the edges to backup at the 5. Either way we will see when they are on the court. I would think if Johnson is staying that he knows he can get the minutes and that will have to be at both the 4 and the 5 position to make it worth it.
People said that Clingan was raw coming into this season and look how that turned out...I would be surprised if Singare isn't getting legit backup minutes at the 5. He's an elite rim protector too, and he's a lob threat. He can also shoot the 3...that's really all we need him to be this year behind Clingan

Reaction Score

It is not a stretch to call Newton an excellent 3 point shooter. He shot 37% from deep on the #3 offense in the country. He shot 41% beyond the arc in our last 18 games of the season. He had a shaky start and went absolutely bonkers when it mattered most.

I'll give you it on Johnson. Jury is still out so it's probably unfair to say he's either good OR not good. No one knows... he's essentially never played for us.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Sampson is still a huge question mark. Nobody actually knows what we’ll get. Hopefully he stays and puts in the work this off season. With that said, we have 3 bigs next season, two unproven and one will be a starter for the first time. Off season development is the beauty of the sport.

Reaction Score
I disagree. But I could change it to "very good" and "potentially very good for his position." Point would remain, there's plenty of shooting and scoring in that roster.
Newton's played 4 years and his best 3 point percentage in a season by far is 36.6%. Samson is 1/7 from 3 in his career. If these were random players on some other team with those stats you would never define them that way.

We'll see if there is plenty of shooting and scoring. Removing 2 first team all conference players, who took almost 40% of our shots, and were the top 2 guys on the other team's scouting report each game will have a massive impact on how easy offense is for the returning players. A lot of this will depend upon just what type of player Castle actually is, and whether Clingan can come back making the wide open 3's teams gave to Sanogo this year.

Reaction Score
His family pedigree suggests that he will be very prepared for college basketball. This could help him make an impact at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what his best position is, I expect he will come off the bench and play center when Clingan gets tired or in foul trouble. Knowing how crappy and biased Big East refs are I expect there will be a lot of games where Clingan is in foul trouble. Salmson will get about 15 minutes a game. He should be able to get some rebounds and defend opposing center, especially centers like Gold at Marquette that shoot 3s.

Reaction Score
I would expect Ross, Ball and Stewart to have an equal likelihood of playing. They all have experience ahead of them in the rotation right now. Whoever can defend(!), shoot the rock, and limit TOs will get minutes.

Singare strikes me as a redshirt candidate. Great size and strength, bit very raw.
Not to mention we have four bugs between Karaban, Springs, Johnson, and Clingan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom