Of the 5 incoming freshmen | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Of the 5 incoming freshmen

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Newton's played 4 years and his best 3 point percentage in a season by far is 36.6%. Samson is 1/7 from 3 in his career. If these were random players on some other team with those stats you would never define them that way.

We'll see if there is plenty of shooting and scoring. Removing 2 first team all conference players, who took almost 40% of our shots, and were the top 2 guys on the other team's scouting report each game will have a massive impact on how easy offense is for the returning players. A lot of this will depend upon just what type of player Castle actually is, and whether Clingan can come back making the wide open 3's teams gave to Sanogo this year.

I mean…Newton is a very good 3 point threat and shooter, I guess we disagree there.

Samson is unproven, but that doesn’t mean we can’t opine that he would be a “good” 4th shooter in a lineup as a 4/5. He’s been touted as having that ability for 2+ years now. We can’t make educated opinions just because he hasn’t played yet?

Reaction Score
People said that Clingan was raw coming into this season and look how that turned out...I would be surprised if Singare isn't getting legit backup minutes at the 5. He's an elite rim protector too, and he's a lob threat. He can also shoot the 3...that's really all we need him to be this year behind Clingan
Clingan was still a top 60(56 24/7 composite and 51 ESPN) where Singare is rated a lot lower and not even in the top 100. Clingan always had the skills and rated high because of it. People just questioned his competition and athletic ability. Singare also isn't 7'2" with those skills. He is really just a shot blocker at this time. I think Samson will see more time as backup center but we will see.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Well with Andre declaring it seems we might have room for Castle and Timberlake to start, who woulda known?

Reaction Score
Question, let’s say Newton and AJ come back.

If Castle has been told he’s the PG and will start, and we saw Newton struggle when playing off ball last year before switching his and Andre’s role, and Timberlake is suppose to be the natural replacement for Hawkins, how does all of that work?
If you have four players sharing three positions, does it really matter who starts? Until you try to make room for Ball, that's still 30 minutes per player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newton shot it 37% from deep this season and he would get to play even more off the ball. Karaban is a knock down open shooter, who showed more and more versatility with his shooting as the season got older. Castle only shot 31% from deep his senior season but it was on crazy high volume with a ton of deep and contested threes. Timberlake will play big minutes as 6th man and hits shots from all over.
Clingan is going to shoot 3s too. Johnson can shoot when he's in. I suspect Castle will take and make 3s. If not, he won't be a lottery pick like you said. Low volume perhaps, but he has to have that in his game. Always hope Andre gets better too.

Reaction Score
He isn't a diamond in the rough, he is ranked in the 60s, I think that almost every program in the country would be planning on either starting him or having him be their 6th man

I don't see 60s as diamonds or 4 stars I guess. Those are more 1-20/25 for me but what do I know. Just think he may rise above many of those ranked much higher than him within a short amount of time with his game.

Reaction Score
I don't see 60s as diamonds or 4 stars I guess. Those are more 1-20/25 for me but what do I know. Just think he may rise above many of those ranked much higher than him within a short amount of time with his game.
I think that if you look at a random selection of guys in the 60s, I bet about 30% of them play in the NBA and well over half of them are good college players. To me with a guy at that recruiting level and with Stewart's skill set, I fully expect him to come to UConn, play 2/3 years and then go to the NBA

Reaction Score
I think that if you look at a random selection of guys in the 60s, I bet about 30% of them play in the NBA and well over half of them are good college players. To me with a guy at that recruiting level and with Stewart's skill set, I fully expect him to come to UConn, play 2/3 years and then go to the NBA

I would like to see that info somewhere. Again he’s a 4 star so while there’s no doubt he could be as good as 5 stars or better eventually, they don’t consider him to be a diamond right now. I expect he will be a good college player, NBA who knows lots of work to be done. Think he looks to have the tools.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We started succeeding when Newton ran the show more and Andre learned how to play off ball though. Newton was essentially Steph in the offense and Andre became Draymond.

Even if we’re not talking about the starting lineup, who’s the finishing lineup in this case?
The guys that can make free throws in crunch time. It's a thing of beauty and a Uconn trademark.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Latest and final ESPN rankings update for the 2023 Class - posted in another thread but relevant here as well

Stephon Castle #12
Solomon Ball #32
Jayden Ross #80
Jaylin Stewart #91

Reaction Score
Latest and final ESPN rankings update for the 2023 Class - posted in another thread but relevant here as well

Stephon Castle #12
Solomon Ball #32
Jayden Ross #80
Jaylin Stewart #91

Ross ranked ahead of Stewart is not what I expected to see. Great find by the staff to identify him early, despite the questions from the board when he committed

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ross ranked ahead of Stewart is not what I expected to see. Great find by the staff to identify him early, despite the questions from the board when he committed
After watching a complete game of Team Melo where they were losing big and time was running out both Ball and Ross were playing D like the game was tied.

Ross was a pg until a rapid 5 to 6 inch growth spurt caused a switch to wing. I was very high on this kid two years ago and still think people are undervaluing him.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Well said. Ross’ climb is well deserved. He showed out all season against national powerhouse programs.

Doesn’t seem like ESPN has seen much of Jaylin Stewart and he’s underrated due to the level of competition he’s playing against much like Donovan Clingan.

Reaction Score
I've seen close to a dozen full games Castle has played. I think he'll most likely be a lottery pick after next season.

Castle is 1 and done for sure. Its a weird comparison, but he plays with the same pace and vision of Marcus Williams. Probably not as good of a passer, but a better scorer due to his size.

Castle is a supersized, right-handed Marcus Williams. He's going to be so much fun and will start and play 25+ mpg

Solo Ball is an interesting piece - seems like a bouknight type - athletic strait-line drive and decent long range shooter. First guard off the bench 15mpg

Jaylin Stewart & Jayden Ross - Jaylin Stewart has a bit of daniel hamilton to him, whereas Jayden seems much more like a 3 & D guy. Ultimately they will both probably get their shot and whoever plays D and is consistent will win more minutes. Both different guys.

Sinare - if he's playing major minutes next year that will not be good for us. Either Samson Johnson will have not developed or Clingan is having conditioning issues.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
After watching a complete game of Team Melo where they were losing big and time was running out both Ball and Ross were playing D like the game was tied.

Ross was a pg until a rapid 5 to 6 inch growth spurt caused a switch to wing. I was very high on this kid two years ago and still think people are undervaluing him.
You can tell from the way he moved last summer he was still growing into his body. It seems like he’s getting more comfortable recently and he looks explosive. To go along with having the skills of a guy who used to be a 6’2-6’3 PG.

Him and Solo both were amazing finds.

Reaction Score
Solo Ball is an interesting piece - seems like a bouknight type - athletic strait-line drive and decent long range shooter. First guard off the bench 15mpg

His game is nothing like Bouknight. The best UConn comparison is probably Dyson. Handles aren't as good as either, but he's a much stronger player. He'll probably be 6'4 200 after a couple strong off-seasons of S&C

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Castle is 1 and done for sure. Its a weird comparison, but he plays with the same pace and vision of Marcus Williams. Probably not as good of a passer, but a better scorer due to his size.

Castle is a supersized, right-handed Marcus Williams. He's going to be so much fun and will start and play 25+ mpg

Jaylin Stewart & Jayden Ross - Jaylin Stewart has a bit of daniel hamilton to him, whereas Jayden seems much more like a 3 & D guy. Ultimately they will both probably get their shot and whoever plays D and is consistent will win more minutes. Both different guys.

Sinare - if he's playing major minutes next year that will not be good for us. Either Samson Johnson will have not developed or Clingan is having conditioning issues.
Ball is a tenacious defender. Was assigned Castle when they went head to head. He will get playing time just for his defense especially if Jackson goes pro.

Ross is still getting comfortable with his body but I expect he will be an above average defender as well.

Reaction Score
Ball is a tenacious defender. Was assigned Castle when they went head to head. He will get playing time just for his defense especially if Jackson goes pro.

Ross is still getting comfortable with his body but I expect he will be an above average defender as well.

When did they play each other? They aren't on the same circuit in AAU, and didn't play in HS that I saw.

Reaction Score

It's a good call IMO. Stewart has a much bigger bag and is stronger, but Ross is a much better defender and shooter at this point. I think Ross's game probably translates to immediate contributions faster. Stewart right now is a very high usage player and will need to change how he plays. Ross is stepping into the exact same role he has a LuHi: Play defense, hit 3s.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
When did they play each other? They aren't on the same circuit in AAU, and didn't play in HS that I saw.
I read here they played against each other. Not sure if it was at the Peach Jam.

Reaction Score
I read here they played against each other. Not sure if it was at the Peach Jam.

Someone was wrong or you're misremembering. Castle didn't play at Peach Jam--he played on the UA circuit. They have their own summer playoffs.

Reaction Score
His game is nothing like Bouknight. The best UConn comparison is probably Dyson. Handles aren't as good as either, but he's a much stronger player. He'll probably be 6'4 200 after a couple strong off-seasons of S&C
He also has a 6’10” wingspan and, if I remember correctly, a 45” vertical. It is crazy to say a longer, more explosive Dyson, but that’s what it seems like

Reaction Score
He also has a 6’10” wingspan and, if I remember correctly, a 45” vertical. It is crazy to say a longer, more explosive Dyson, but that’s what it seems like

It's a fair thing to say as long as you recognize the chance of Solo being as good as Dyson was as a freshman are low.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom