Of the 5 incoming freshmen | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Of the 5 incoming freshmen

Reaction Score
We need a 40% 3 point shooter for next year off the bench. Who might Hurley now have in mind?

caw

Reaction Score
He also has a 6’10” wingspan and, if I remember correctly, a 45” vertical. It is crazy to say a longer, more explosive Dyson, but that’s what it seems like

Reminds me more of Purvis.

Reaction Score
Don’t kill me……Donovan Mitchell. But bigger
Aka Russell Westbrook. Westbrook was a worse recruit coming out of high school. It's not THAT crazy. That's his ceiling.

BUT for every Westbrook there's 10 Keon Johnson or David Johnson or most other Johnsons. He's gotta put in the work and have the right mentality.

Reactions: caw

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Aka Russell Westbrook. Westbrook was a worse recruit coming out of high school. It's not THAT crazy. That's his ceiling.

BUT for every Westbrook there's 10 Keon Johnson or David Johnson or most other Johnsons. He's gotta put in the work and have the right mentality.
Completely agree on the Russ comparison. He played SG at UCLA too.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's a fair thing to say as long as you recognize the chance of Solo being as good as Dyson was as a freshman are low.
The only reason it would be low is because he would (reasonably) not play nearly as much as Dyson did his freshman year. Who pretty much HAD to be the leading scorer on a very very young team at the time. He’s every bit as talented if not more.

Reaction Score
Spot on.

I had a response typed up to that post as well, I just don't see it as an issue. Jackson, Castle and Newton are all capable of running our offense, especially when 2 or 3 are on the court simultaneously.

Castle can shoot enough, and Karaban and Newton are both snipers. I wouldn't be worried about that specific lineup's shooting ability.

Timberlake will be our 3rd sniper out of our top 6. That's plenty of shooting.
Castle is no sniper. At all. Newton isn’t either. Karaban, Hawk and Joey were. We need more shooters.

caw

Reaction Score
Found this on Twitter and thought it’d be appropriate for this thread.

He looks way more athletic/coordinated in any recent highlights than he did this past summer. He is obviously still thin, but seems to have adjusted to his growth spurt.

Reaction Score
Suddenly lots of pt available. I always love watching young players grow. Looking forward to next year.
I love watching young players grow too but many don't have the stomach for it. Most fans say they love it until we are getting waxed by 15 at Marquette. Then they melt down and blame everyone from the waterboy to Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
If Jackson and Newton stay in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley gets some experienced portal players to somewhat fill the gaps and maybe one of them turns out to be star quality.

And maybe besides Castle, some of the other freshman outperform expectations.
Maybe, Samson and Singare give us decent minutes.

May not mean #6,

We'll just have to wait it out and see. Lots of ifs.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Castle is no sniper. At all. Newton isn’t either. Karaban, Hawk and Joey were. We need more shooters.

Never said Castle was. Already responded to Newton, we disagree but he’s no less than “a very good 3 point shooter.”

Also, responding to a post about having enough shooting that was wholly predicated on the guy who just did NOT commit is a little disingenuous, no?

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
His film excites me the most. My father and I drank beer and watched Solo film on repeat all weekend. I got a little too fired up. He's Versatile and tough as nails.
This is awesome on so many levels.

Reaction Score
Has there been a post that lists the senior year stats for the 5 incoming freshman? I am especially interested in shooting percentage stats. I have been looking here and on internet but having a hard time finding the stats. If anyone has them and can post here .. thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
After watching a complete game of Team Melo where they were losing big and time was running out both Ball and Ross were playing D like the game was tied.

Ross was a pg until a rapid 5 to 6 inch growth spurt caused a switch to wing. I was very high on this kid two years ago and still think people are undervaluing him.
Now you've got me thinking even more positively about Ross than I already was.

What other players in New England college basketball history were good ball handling guards in early high school days and had a growth spurt that took them to a new position?
Julius Erving and Marcus Camby.

Wouldn't that be something special.................?

Reaction Score
It's a good call IMO. Stewart has a much bigger bag and is stronger, but Ross is a much better defender and shooter at this point. I think Ross's game probably translates to immediate contributions faster. Stewart right now is a very high usage player and will need to change how he plays. Ross is stepping into the exact same role he has a LuHi: Play defense, hit 3s.
Heresy, I know, but here's a thought and question and some wishful thinking now that Timberlake has gone to his version of the promised land:

There were question marks about Hawkins as a defender and ball handler as a freshman.
If Ross is a great 3 point shooter and ball handler that plays good defense, could he be Hawkins' replacement by the end of the year? Just in time to help make it two in a row.........

Reaction Score
It's a fair thing to say as long as you recognize the chance of Solo being as good as Dyson was as a freshman are low.
1682015099829.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom