Odds of winning the 2012 national championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
At least, how I see it...

1. Baylor-45%

Kim Mulkey has proven that she can win a national championship, and now she has two of the best players in the game in Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims. Griner is a game-changer on both sides of the ball; she has the ability to both block/alter shots defensively and score at will in the paint offensively. She is also a capable free throw shooter, unlike some of the superstar posts you'll find in the men's game. Sims, meanwhile, is one of the best on-ball defenders in the game and has quick hands. These two combine to give Baylor a fierce defense and go-to weapons offensively.

Their other starters are beginning to develop in their own right. Madden is a solid player and Destiny Williams, who struggled in Connecticut last year, has turned in some solid games recently as well. She had great games against Texas and Texas Tech this year and may have been the difference between Baylor winning and losing those games.

With that said, Baylor has some weaknesses. For starters, they have been vulnerable away from home at times, struggling to fight off the likes of Texas Tech and Iowa State. As great as Brittney Griner is, she isn't as good at rebounding as she should be considering her talent. She showed measurable progress in her shooting touch this offseason; next offseason she should work on her box-outs in my uneducated opinion. Also, like UConn last year, Baylor is not very deep. They only played 7 players against UConn this year. If either Griner or Sims gets into foul trouble, Baylor doesn't have as much depth as some of the other contenders do. Finally, they are not a great shooting team from beyond the arc (though they aren't bad at it, either, ranking 55th in the country in 3 point percentage). Overall, Baylor is a really good team, and with a proven coach and a ton of quality wins both in and out of conference, is a clear contender for the national championship. With that said, they have too many weaknesses to be considered a runaway favorite.

2. UConn-25%

I am saying there's a chance.

In my clearly unbiased opinion, Geno is the best coach in women's basketball today. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for us, yet we are clearly one of the best teams in the country. We do a great job of contesting without fouling and defending the three, which is why we have the #1 scoring defense in the country. We are also a powerhouse offensively and can score in the paint and from beyond the arc. But you guys know this already.

We don't have many weaknesses, but our lack of a dominant scorer down low will hurt us. Dolson is a very good player and can shoot the ball well for a post, but she isn't guaranteed 12+ points per game like Griner and the older Ogwumike sister is. Stokes is a great defender but still has work to do offensively. Also, one cannot discount our youth. We are still very, very young, though not that inexperienced.

3. Notre Dame-22%

Like Mulkey, McGraw is a proven coach, having won a national championship in 2001. This is her best team since then if you ask me. They have the #1 offense in the country and have a legitimate top 20 level defense. Unlike Baylor, all 5 of their starters are threats to score, and Diggins/Novosel are two of the best offensive players in the game. Peters is also very good.

With that said, they do not have dominating interior presence that Baylor has, nor do they have quite the defensive capabilities that UConn has. We will see if this "jack of all trades" team has the ability to win 6 games in a row. Their close game against Duke gives me pause, but they played well against both UConn and Baylor this year and have dominated vastly inferior competition in the way great UConn teams have done (they won 120-44 against Pitt!)

4. Stanford-6%

They have occasionally struggled against weaker Pac-12 team, including California who they needed overtime to beat. They were competitive at UConn but never really made a serious push late to win that one...that game is the only measure we have to compare them to the top teams in WBB, so they are a little bit of an unknown at this point. They have looked great at times (Tennessee, Texas, Arizona) and poor at others (USC, Xavier, Oregon State). They don't force many turnovers and are average from beyond the arc.

With that said, they are a threat to Baylor. Both Ogwumike sisters can challenge Griner and Stanford rebounds well enough to stay with Baylor on the boards (they are 5th in the country in that regard). They do not have a counter for Sims, so to upset Baylor, they will need her to have an off game. Stanford has the pieces to pull off an upset of one of the three teams above, but I don't feel they are consistent enough to win the national championship. They just have too many flaws.

5. The Field-2%

If someone from this category wins the national championship, we would all be shocked. Kentucky can force turnovers, but doesn't shoot that well and doesn't have a good enough interior presence to beat Baylor or Stanford. They could give UConn or Notre Dame a decent game though. Duke is very young and shoots like a high school team. I'm not sold on McCallie's coaching either. Miami doesn't play great defense. Maryland is flawed all around. UW-GB is unproven and needed overtime to beat the only top 25 team they've seen in Georgia Tech. Tennessee's problems have been dissected to death already so I won't go into them. Delaware has struggled against some of their conference foes and lost to a flawed Maryland team. Other mid-major sweethearts like Middle Tennessee and Marist are not quite as good as they normally are. I doubt any of these teams will make a serious run at the national championship.

In my opinion, WBB seems to be a 3 horse race this year. I am curious to see if an underdog like Delaware or Wisconsin-Green Bay can make the Final Four this year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Would you translate that to something like Baylor, 3-2; UConn, 3-1; Notre Dame, 7-2; Stanford, 18-1; and the field, 100-1 (with maybe a couple exceptions like Tennessee and Duke at 50-1 or Maryland and Georgetown at 75-1).

Place your bets.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I have to place ND ahead of UConn with a percentage of around 33%. Then I would have Stanford and UConn neck and neck with a slight advantage to UConn because of defense. IMHO the only team that could take the title away from one of the top 4 teams is Tenn and I don't think they will. They have the talent to do it but so far haven't been able to string together 6 great games in a row which is what would be required to win the National Championship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The biggest threats to UConn's ability to win the whole thing are belief and urgency. We have a score by committee approach that works well against most teams. The problem is that, in a close game, we don't have a clear identity down the stretch. It's cost us twice against two teams UConn's likely to face again.

UConn should be able to breeze into the Elite Eight and probably win at that stage as well. The problem is Baylor has the dominant player, and ND has the urgency of knowing this group of starters will not win it all if they font do it this year.

I will say that, as of late, Tiff is playing like she wants it. She has always been a high energy player, but I'm seeing a fire there that's above anything she's shown before. She's a wild card in all of this because if she just decides she's not going out anything but on top and has one of those games where she just doesn't miss, it changes everything. Very curious to see how she does against ND on the 27th and in the BET.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I have to place ND ahead of UConn with a percentage of around 33%. Then I would have Stanford and UConn neck and neck with a slight advantage to UConn because of defense. IMHO the only team that could take the title away from one of the top 4 teams is Tenn and I don't think they will. They have the talent to do it but so far haven't been able to string together 6 great games in a row which is what would be required to win the National Championship.
Notre Dame and UConn have played very similar schedules and performed similarly. Notre Dame beat UConn in overtime in their gym. Until I see them beat UConn in Connecticut, I'm saying the two teams are neck and neck on a neutral court.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Your first paragraph is why I have ND ahead of UConn:

The biggest threats to UConn's ability to win the whole thing are belief and urgency. We have a score by committee approach that works well against most teams. The problem is that, in a close game, we don't have a clear identity down the stretch. It's cost us twice against two teams UConn's likely to face again.

Now if UConn beats ND by double digits at home, then I'd be willing to say ND and UConn would be evenly matched on a neutral court. UConn has to forget last years loss in the semi-finals and this years ND loss, both games they could have won.

Notre Dame and UConn have played very similar schedules and performed similarly. Notre Dame beat UConn in overtime in their gym. Until I see them beat UConn in Connecticut, I'm saying the two teams are neck and neck on a neutral court.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
This will be an exciting NCAA tourney.

I am happy to enjoy seeing our team play its best in as many games as they get a chance to perform in - one game at a time, improvement and change coming each game. A challenge that those of us who bleed blue (woof, woof) look forward to!!!:)
ChaCha is rooting for Uconn.

Attachments

• ChaChaPoster.jpg
    ChaChaPoster.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 76
Reaction Score
I would also put ND ahead of UConn. I attended both games against RU and have seen both teams play against other teams. At this point in the season and barring any injuries, I think ND plays a little better as a team than UConn. UConn has more raw talent, but IMO, Skylar Diggins is the best floor leader in the country (even though she is a bit of a diva). I also think they play more physical than UConn. I am very interested to see the rematch(s). If there are two, I think ND will win at least one, if not both of them, but they will be close, hard fought games and it could come down to how tightly the games are called.

While I think Baylor is the definite favorite, I would put them at more at 3-1, as I don't think they can beat either ND or UConn if Griner gets into foul trouble (or, God forbid) gets injured.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think I would probably run with:
Baylor 40%
Uconn/ND 24%
Stanford 10%
Field 2%
I can't give ND or Uconn an edge until we see what happens in Hartford. I think a super star can make the difference in the NCAAs and while I do think Stanford (with their injuries especially) is the weakest #1 seed at this point. they have 1.5 super stars.
The rest of your analysis I like. One minor quible on Griner's rebounding: she is a shot blocker who because of her exceptional length and athleticism challenges a lot of shots out to 15+' so she loses out on being in position to get a lot of defensive rebounds - you can't do both. On the offensive end, it may well be coaching - if I am her coach, I do not want her fighting to hard for offensive rebounds and picking up occasional fouls - she is too important to the team overall - I would rather lose two offensive rebounds a game than have her pick up a single foul fighting for one.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The one thing that's kind of to Baylor's detriment is how front-loaded their schedule was. They played two contenders at home, a solid team (Tennessee) on the road (and didn't play all that well), and the rest of their OOC schedule was pretty terrible. Meanwhile, the second-best team in the Big XII is probably A&M. So they're kind of in a similar position as Stanford, i.e., playing a bunch of teams that don't really make them better or better prepared for the Tourney. And before anyone starts talking about conference RPI, yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the Big XII is well-rated, but the problem with that is it doesn't really matter to a legit contender that the middling conference teams are better than other conferences' middling teams. What matters is having other contenders or fringe contenders to play.

Mind you, I'm not making any argument here that should imply Baylor isn't the clear favorite. I just wonder what happens when they haven't faced a really good team since December and suddenly they're on a neutral court with immense pressure having to do just that.

Back to the UConn-Notre Dame question. For all of ND's perceived identity/experience/urgency advantages, I have to go back to the fact that UConn should have beaten them in South Bend in January. I don't say that too often; I hate making excuses for losses, and UConn has way too rich a history of actual winning to start tabulating moral victories. But that specific game is one they should have lost and almost certainly would have lost on a neutral or road venue. For that reason, I'm not ready to put them clearly ahead of UConn. I see the two teams as neck and neck, and on any given night on a neutral court (or even each other's home courts), either team can win.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Reflect on last year, we beat Notre Dame three times in hard fought games and lost the fourth. The same scenario, or a variation thereof might very well occur this season; in reverse of course.

Though I do think that Notre Dame gets the most out of their talent. a really well coached team.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I think I would probably run with:
Baylor 40%
Uconn/ND 24%
Stanford 10%
Field 2%
I can't give ND or Uconn an edge until we see what happens in Hartford. I think a super star can make the difference in the NCAAs and while I do think Stanford (with their injuries especially) is the weakest #1 seed at this point. they have 1.5 super stars.
The rest of your analysis I like. One minor quible on Griner's rebounding: she is a shot blocker who because of her exceptional length and athleticism challenges a lot of shots out to 15+' so she loses out on being in position to get a lot of defensive rebounds - you can't do both. On the offensive end, it may well be coaching - if I am her coach, I do not want her fighting to hard for offensive rebounds and picking up occasional fouls - she is too important to the team overall - I would rather lose two offensive rebounds a game than have her pick up a single foul fighting for one.

Fair enough on Griner. I'm not sold on Stanford's guard play at all, which is why I have them lower than you do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn is brimming with young, raw talent and the Huskies can beat any team on any given night, even ND and Baylor. However, in order to win an NCAA championship, a team needs to win 6 consecutive victories, under the spotlights and against a variety of opponents. That's why I would give ND the edge over the Huskies to win the championship. They have talent, experience and great coaching - a formidable combination. I think the Irish's experience (they have a couple dozen fifth year seniors) give them an intangible asset the Huskies do not have.

That being said, I do expect the Huskies to prevail in Hartford at the end of the month :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My rough take:

Baylor: 35% (The obvious choice, but not unbeatable)

UConn: 25% (We need to make shots)

Notre Dame: 20% (I don't think they can get by Baylor, but they play very well)

Stanford: 15% (The sisters will both need their A+ games)

Field: 5% (Someone needs to get really lucky and hope the 1 seeds get upset early)

Reaction Score
UConn is brimming with young, raw talent and the Huskies can beat any team on any given night, even ND and Baylor. However, in order to win an NCAA championship, a team needs to win 6 consecutive victories, under the spotlights and against a variety of opponents. That's why I would give ND the edge over the Huskies to win the championship. They have talent, experience and great coaching - a formidable combination. I think the Irish's experience (they have a couple dozen fifth year seniors) give them an intangible asset the Huskies do not have.

That being said, I do expect the Huskies to prevail in Hartford at the end of the month :)

They have two 5th year seniors, it's not like they were last years DePaul team. What did they have five 5th year seniors and I think even one 6th year? What ND does have is the right blend of leadership. Diggins has the shear will to get them a win. Diggins and Peters have the attitude and aggression. Mallory is the calming force. Novosel is the "lead by example" force. I'd be shocked if ND wins at UConn or the BET. UConn just doesn't lose in their home gyms. Think the F4 could be wide open between Baylor, ND and UConn. Baylor has shown it can win at home, but so have ND and UConn. The unfortunate part is that UConn and ND are likely to be on the same side of the bracket. I'm sure UConn fans can attest to the difference in pressure to continue an unbeaten streak on the road. Baylor doesn't know what that pressure is like yet. If I had to handicap it I'd go Baylor 40%, ND/UConn 30%, 0% for the field.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As many of you say, why bother comparing ND and UConn before our home game vs. them? But no one has mentioned glimpses of improvement of ND players, since our early game in their house. If any have such observations, I'm sure we'd be interested.
What we know about our team is Tiff has been playing out of her mind, and we have every reason to believe we've added a force in Kiah. Peters and Achowa will see a different animal in the post.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Baylor 35 %

ND 31.5 %

UCONN 31.5 %

Stanford 0%

Field 2%

Reaction Score
At this time, I also would place ND ahead of Uconn. However, I will wait and see how these 2 fare against each other on Feb, 27th, and in the BE tourney.

Reaction Score
I have to give NAN*,uconnbaseball_*<uconn for starting the thread and spending considerable time on it>,Alex,Milford and just about everyone else <including ICE:),>Kibbitzer who manages to do just that<Kibbitz and inform>credit for what has already turned into an excellent thread. We head into the home stretch of the regular season with the 4 top teams a distance above the rest of the field.Baylor has got to be #1 with Mulkey,Griner,Simms but a short bench which could be a problem if they get into foul trouble,I also agree their tough games have been on the front end of their schedule could end up being subject material,as a Basketball fan ya gotta like the veteran team Note Dame with the Social Security Eligible 3 Srs,the Jr Sassy/Diva,and the 2 Sophmoric kids. The comments regarding Belief and Urgency seem to be Poetic and could very well be Prophetic. One would have thought that would have us include Tenn in this discussion,but those 2 words would not be included in where this team is at! Back to ND,what could be the 3 most exciting games over the next 2 months for me I think will be the final regular season game ND playing us at our house in which I believe we will win,confusing the "Experts" and those who play with odds:) the Big East Final which should be a Battle to the Buzzer,and the 3rd game of this group <match #4 for the season for these 2 teams for the 2nd year in a row,the Final Four Game either the 1st game or Sparticus vs the Romans for the NationalChampionship.They have me unsure as to who plays who in the Final Four<confusion over conviction. Now this game will really confirm whether Belief and Urgency prevails over Shock and Awe<Please do not confuse this with a former President> that yes this team which was the transistion team/a year away/6+/7/8 or 9 ? could IMHO for the 2nd year in a row got further than I believed and made me an even bigger believer that Geno,Cdsr, the staff are unmatched in putting together teams, that have it all,are missing a piece or pieces,are a year away,finding ways and the type of kids that can be transformed into legitimate NC contenders. The 1st game was ours,on their court with the grown ups against the kids,but experience prevailed with them winning in OT,#2 2/27 no way they beat us on that day,#3 how far have we come vs experience,#4 Blood and Guts Leave It All On The Court!
In this scenerio Baylor may win it all or end up being the preview to the legendary 2nd,3rd,4th battles of 2011-2012. Stanford is a role player in this play,with 1 Super Star,1 Star with very similar DNA,and a great coach. Their conference has not provided the competition. 21 of approx the last 22 games through the PAC12 Tounament will have been against very inferior competition. Do they have the Players This Year to take it all, Nope! Recently it has just been the wrong year for them to go all of the way.
Oh, being a Huskie,if Tiffanie,continues to play the way she has,our chances for a Championship increase. There are a # of ifs on this wonderful team,can they really beat in deciding ganes the 2 teams we lost to when they were younger;) Right Now!!! Baylor deserves to be ranked #1
Notre Dame #2
Conn #3
Stanford #4
Tournament Time WOW
Baylor favorite,but the wars between ND and Conn
are going to prepare these teams to upset Griner and Simms
The ND/Conn games are what is going to be the story of the year
ND the favorite,but like the famous Horse Races of 24? years ago between
Affirmed and Aylidar The games will be like those races
Stanford a year late a dollar short,but ya never know

Reaction Score
Baylor=UConn=ND. Why? Because these teams have only beaten each other this year when at home, and the games have been competitive. Otherwise the big 3 are playing other teams at a very high level and blowing most of them out. Let's say Stanford is a bit behind the big 3.
So it comes down to seeding. If I'm UConn and I only have to go through either Baylor or ND in the NC game, and not both teams sequentially, I like our chances. Does anyone understand the bracketology enough to predict who we would play first in the final four?

Reaction Score
Baylor=UConn=ND. Why? Because these teams have only beaten each other this year when at home, and the games have been competitive. Otherwise the big 3 are playing other teams at a very high level and blowing most of them out. Let's say Stanford is a bit behind the big 3.
So it comes down to seeding. If I'm UConn and I only have to go through either Baylor or ND in the NC game, and not both teams sequentially, I like our chances. Does anyone understand the bracketology enough to predict who we would play first in the final four?
In theory if Baylor is 1 ND and Uconn are 2 and 3 and than Stanford is 4 and alll 4 teams get to the final 4 the games will be Baylor against Stanford and Uconn against ND so UConn will need to win against both ND and Baylor to get the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom