Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Never heard of her..... but look who made her top 12

MY AGGIES !!!

agg.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She transferred from TN to Villanova. She was never the same player after her boyfriend abused her before she arrived at TN.
Thank you Coco. That was an interesting but sad story. She is really a very tough woman to survive what she went through. Just thinking how good she might have been is enough to keep her down but, it did not.

Reaction Score
Thank you Coco. That was an interesting but sad story. She is really a very tough woman to survive what she went through. Just thinking how good she might have been is enough to keep her down but, it did not.
Tucker seems like she's been around forever. She was in the 2013 class. I hope she gets her waiver.

Reaction Score
This conversation is really jumping around (that's NEVER happened before on a message board :rolleyes:). Close has been hands down much better than Olivier at UCLA, that was my starting point. Her not winning a Championship is duly noted, but does not distinguish her from more than 300 other coaches in D1 in that regard.

I doubt any UCLA fans or wbb fans would contest that Close is a level better than Olivier, who is now unemployed after underachieving at UNLV. But it is factual that she has never won the conference, nor the conference tournament. In fact, a Close coached team never even made the finals, whereas Olivier's team won the tournament and also tied for first in the conference. But look past the #1 team and look at the rankings of her other recruits. She has had a history of 4 and 5 star players until the past few seasons. For a long time, the benchmark of a UCLA wbb was can they beat Stanford. Olivier did it at the tournament and even though it was a fluke, she saved her job for a few more seasons.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I doubt any UCLA fans or wbb fans would contest that Close is a level better than Olivier, who is now unemployed after underachieving at UNLV. But it is factual that she has never won the conference, nor the conference tournament. In fact, a Close coached team never even made the finals, whereas Olivier's team won the tournament and also tied for first in the conference. But look past the #1 team and look at the rankings of her other recruits. She has had a history of 4 and 5 star players until the past few seasons. For a long time, the benchmark of a UCLA wbb was can they beat Stanford. Olivier did it at the tournament and even though it was a fluke, she saved her job for a few more seasons.
I think people over-fixate on the ranking of a single class in evaluating Close's results and tagging her with the underachiever label. I don't think she's a great coach or a horrible coach; I've seen better and I've seen worse.

First of all, would the 2014 class have even been ranked #1 if Caldwell had been subtracted from the equation? Food for thought.

Just as important as one strong recruiting class is how well you recruit around it, and the recruiting in the surrounding years was simply not very good. That's the difference between being a top 8 or top 16 type team and a Final Four team. I believe Fields and Burke were the only recruits within two years before or after the 2014 class who materialized into strong impact players. That's just not enough if the expectation is to win titles.

Reaction Score
I think people over-fixate on the ranking of a single class in evaluating Close's results and tagging her with the underachiever label. I don't think she's a great coach or a horrible coach; I've seen better and I've seen worse.

First of all, would the 2014 class have even been ranked #1 if Caldwell had been subtracted from the equation? Food for thought.

Just as important as one strong recruiting class is how well you recruit around it, and the recruiting in the surrounding years was simply not very good. That's the difference between being a top 8 or top 16 type team and a Final Four team. I believe Fields and Burke were the only recruits within two years before or after the 2014 class who materialized into strong impact players. That's just not enough if the expectation is to win titles.

What would have happened if Gottlieb signed Kelsey Plum or Ionescu did not commit to Oregon?

And therein lies the argument: Did Fields and Burke materialize into strong impact players because or Close, despite her or a combination? Or were the rankings simply wrong? It's hard not to remember the article in the Daily Bruin where she and the coaches were so unhappy at their players effort that they walked out of the gym. Kari Korver took over the practice the afternoon. That was when people were thinking that the players were running the program, not the coaches.

In the end, Close isn't going anywhere unless another strong school signs her away. She's promoted a strong culture at the school, has a respectable record, loves UCLA and the administration (reciprocal for the administration) and hasn't had a whiff of scandal, super important that her name was nowhere near athlete gate.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What would have happened if Gottlieb signed Kelsey Plum or Ionescu did not commit to Oregon?

And therein lies the argument: Did Fields and Burke materialize into strong impact players because or Close, despite her or a combination? Or were the rankings simply wrong? It's hard not to remember the article in the Daily Bruin where she and the coaches were so unhappy at their players effort that they walked out of the gym. Kari Korver took over the practice the afternoon. That was when people were thinking that the players were running the program, not the coaches.

In the end, Close isn't going anywhere unless another strong school signs her away. She's promoted a strong culture at the school, has a respectable record, loves UCLA and the administration (reciprocal for the administration) and hasn't had a whiff of scandal, super important that her name was nowhere near athlete gate.

Just out of interest? What is Kari Korver doing now? Playing overseas?
The reason I ask is that I could see her running a practice -- she struck me as a person who saw the whole picture when she played. Jordin Canada was a huge fan of hers.

Same thing applied to Michaela Mabrey at ND. Muffet told stories that Mabrey would stop drills so often to talk to her peers that she and Niele let her run them. Of course, she's now an assistant coach there....

Could coaching be in Korver's future?

Reaction Score
Just out of interest? What is Kari Korver doing now? Playing overseas?
The reason I ask is that I could see her running a practice -- she struck me as a person who saw the whole picture when she played. Jordin Canada was a huge fan of hers.

Same thing applied to Michaela Mabrey at ND. Muffet told stories that Mabrey would stop drills so often to talk to her peers that she and Niele let her run them. Of course, she's now an assistant coach there....

Could coaching be in Korver's future?
She’s with the LA Sparks:

Reaction Score

Does anyone know how good she is? I saw 2 Crestwood games this year to watch Edwards. When Lattimore got into foul trouble, they just moved Edwards to the 5 and brought in another guard. They didn't put this girl into the game....

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how good she is? I saw 2 Crestwood games this year to watch Edwards. When Lattimore got into foul trouble, they just moved Edwards to the 5 and brought in another guard. They didn't put this girl into the game....
Here are some of her highlights (h/t to @Stoli for sharing):

Seems raw but a lot of upside. Oregon and Texas seem to be making big pushes, with multiple players from each school trying to persuade her.

I believe this will be her first year at Crestwood. A few of their top players transferred out.

Reaction Score
Here are some of her highlights (h/t to @Stoli for sharing):

Seems raw but a lot of upside. Oregon and Texas seem to be making big pushes, with multiple players from each school trying to persuade her.

I believe this will be her first year at Crestwood. A few of their top players transferred out.

Oregon trying to pad their bench even more with yet another big...ok, I get it, but why would she be much interested knowing they have up to 4 potential all stars at F/C already who have not even played yet (at least not yet at Oregon anyway). I don't get it.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What bigs do Oregon have? I thought Oregon State had all the big players.

Reaction Score
What bigs do Oregon have? I thought Oregon State had all the big players.
Oregon has:
NYARA SABALLY 6'5" (redshirt soph)
ARIELLE WILSON 6'6" (jr)
LYDIA GIOMI 6'6" (sr)
KYLEE WATSON 6'4" (fr)
ANGELA DUGALIC 6'4" (fr)
SEDONA PRINCE 6'7" (redshirt soph)

Oregon State has:
ANDREA AQUINO 6'9" (redshirt soph, but won't play this year, so doesn't really count)
TAYA COROSDALE 6'3" (redshirt jr)
JELENA MITROVIC 6'9" (redshirt fr)
ELLIE MACK 6'3" (redshirt sr)
JOVANA SUBASIC 6'4" (redshirt sr)
KENNEDY BROWN 6'6" (soph, but probably won't play this year, so doesn't really count)
TAYLOR JONES 6'4" (soph)

So, if you subtract the 2 OSU gals who won't play this season, Oregon is just as tall as OSU if not taller.

Reaction Score
She went to Father Lacombe HS in Calgary last season. She wore #15. Obviously she is a rim protector. She has good agility getting up and down the court. From what I saw, she has no offensive game whatsoever. However, the one thing I saw that was impressive, when she gets the ball in the low post, she is really good at passing it out to an open teammate for a basket. She is a project. This screams Texas to me because her game is so similar to Teaira McCowan.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Oregon has:
NYARA SABALLY 6'5" (redshirt soph)
ARIELLE WILSON 6'6" (jr)
LYDIA GIOMI 6'6" (sr)
KYLEE WATSON 6'4" (fr)
ANGELA DUGALIC 6'4" (fr)
SEDONA PRINCE 6'7" (redshirt soph)

Oregon State has:
ANDREA AQUINO 6'9" (redshirt soph, but won't play this year, so doesn't really count)
TAYA COROSDALE 6'3" (redshirt jr)
JELENA MITROVIC 6'9" (redshirt fr)
ELLIE MACK 6'3" (redshirt sr)
JOVANA SUBASIC 6'4" (redshirt sr)
KENNEDY BROWN 6'6" (soph, but probably won't play this year, so doesn't really count)
TAYLOR JONES 6'4" (soph)

So, if you subtract the 2 OSU gals who won't play this season, Oregon is just as tall as OSU if not taller.
Thank you for the information. I had no idea Oregon had so many tall players.

Reaction Score
She went to Father Lacombe HS in Calgary last season. She wore #15. Obviously she is a rim protector. She has good agility getting up and down the court. From what I saw, she has no offensive game whatsoever. However, the one thing I saw that was impressive, when she gets the ball in the low post, she is really good at passing it out to an open teammate for a basket. She is a project. This screams Texas to me because her game is so similar to Teaira McCowan.

Fair assessment, however I think she'll develop a lot more than expected working with the HC from Crestwood. It's been hard to gauge her development the last few years when she's competed at Canadian Nationals as she's be in the post primarily.

The other question is whether her team will have a chance to compete. The OSBA league Crestwood plays out of has delayed the start of competition until January 2021 due to COVID protocols. Seeing her play against some of the talent in this league would provide a better sense as to how she's progressed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you speaking from what you saw in the video above or elsewhere? The agility was what stood out to me from that video especially when she was changing direction. You don't see that kind of agility in girls basketball players that size. That kind of agility would be a great foundation to developing better basketball skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom