October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I live in PHX and usually catch some games at the ‘normal’ Nike TOC right before Christmas (Dec 17-22 this year). The site for the special “Bubble TOC” going on right now says tickets are available for player families only, with “live streaming for fans and college coaches.” Maybe whoever from UConn is there is related to one of the players?
Is it an NCAA violation to adopt a recruit? :D

Reaction Score
From what I can see in the video. Azzi played well, other than forcing a layup in the closing seconds. She did hit a short jumper shortly after that, and Paul VI should have been called for a 5-second violation with 2.7 seconds to go. Keep in mind that was Azzi Fudd, the freshman.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again I think she’s KML 2.0 which btw is a tremendous college player. I just see soooo much xtra overhype for her than there really should be. Her lateral quickness and 1on1 D (ie staying in front of her man) are just ok imo. Her shooting splits will be thru the roof much like Kaleena and I think that will be the majority of her contributions (aside from being a seemingly great kid and teammate). We have the true transformational generational talent already on campus in PB. Again just one man in the minorities opinion

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again I think she’s KML 2.0 which btw is a tremendous college player. I just see soooo much xtra overhype for her than there really should be. Her lateral quickness and 1on1 D (ie staying in front of her man) are just ok imo. Her shooting splits will be thru the roof much like Kaleena and I think that will be the majority of her contributions (aside from being a seemingly great kid and teammate). We have the true transformational generational talent already on campus in PB. Again just one man in the minorities opinion
I think Azzi is like Kaleena, though better. Keep in mind that, if you look at Kaleena's career from 2011 to 2015, she was fabulous. She was our leading scorer 2 seasons, went to 4 Final Fours, won 3 championships, made All-American 2 times, finished tied for 3rd (now 6th) in UConn career scoring, and set an NCAA record for 3-pointers made. If not for injury, Kaleena would have been a 3-time All-American and pushed the 3-point record farther out. Kaleena's career may be tarnished by her lack of success in the pro ranks.

Azzi is a solid all-around player. As Geno and Doug Bruno say, basketball is about putting the ball in the basket. No one does that better than Azzi. As we saw in our losses last year, having a player who can get you a bucket anytime is extremely important. Here are the UConn career shooting splits for some players: Sue 48/46/89; Diana 47/39/82; Maya 53/40/80; Kaleena 49/45/88; Stewie 53/36/80. I think Azzi can shoot 55/45/90 or better. Azzi will make Paige even better, and Paige will make Azzi even better. I hope they get to play with each other.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I live in PHX and usually catch some games at the ‘normal’ Nike TOC right before Christmas (Dec 17-22 this year). The site for the special “Bubble TOC” going on right now says tickets are available for player families only, with “live streaming for fans and college coaches.” Maybe whoever from UConn is there is related to one of the players?

I believe they are watching online.

TOC in October instead of December? Which recruits are playing?

With UConn interest, I'm not sure yet. Digging into that.

Reaction Score
I think Azzi is like Kaleena, though better. Keep in mind that, if you look at Kaleena's career from 2011 to 2015, she was fabulous. She was our leading scorer 2 seasons, went to 4 Final Fours, won 3 championships, made All-American 2 times, finished tied for 3rd (now 6th) in UConn career scoring, and set an NCAA record for 3-pointers made. If not for injury, Kaleena would have been a 3-time All-American and pushed the 3-point record farther out. Kaleena's career may be tarnished by her lack of success in the pro ranks.

Azzi is a solid all-around player. As Geno and Doug Bruno say, basketball is about putting the ball in the basket. No one does that better than Azzi. As we saw in our losses last year, having a player who can get you a bucket anytime is extremely important. Here are the UConn career shooting splits for some players: Sue 48/46/89; Diana 47/39/82; Maya 53/40/80; Kaleena 49/45/88; Stewie 53/36/80. I think Azzi can shoot 55/45/90 or better. Azzi will make Paige even better, and Paige will make Azzi even better. I hope they get to play with each other.
Good post and I agree on all of it honestly especially the splits. I consider KML easily a top 10 all time for the program and although she’s 17 and uncommitted that’s the level I’d guess for Azzi. I feel like a lot of ppl are ready to add another face on UCONNs Mt Rushmore the day she commits and that’s where I slam on the brakes. Again this is just wild but fun premature speculation but I do see Paige ending her career in that Rushmore (imagine Tina Charles not being in the top 5 or 6 all time? Insane depth)

Reaction Score
I think Azzi can shoot 55/45/90 or better. Azzi will make Paige even better, and Paige will make Azzi even better. I hope they get to play with each other.

I am curious if she is even doing this in high school?

Reaction Score
I am curious if she is even doing this in high school?

I doubt it, those numbers are just ridiculous! To put things into perspective, in Maya Moore's Senior season she did NOT reach ANY of those averages at 52/38/84. KML, who is regarded as the greatest shooter EVER at UConn 51.8/48.8/89.5 was not able to reach 2 out of 3 of those during her best season at UConn.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have always said that Azzi is like KML and Maya Moore had a love child. She is the height and has the jump shot of KML but is more athletic and can shoot from anywhere to get points when needed like Maya.
:confused:

Reaction Score
But she's more atletic than KML.....the idea of love child is that I see her as in between them.
Agreed, but when we think of players that are in-between the athletic ability of KML and Maya we might be including 80% of the players. That is not exactly narrowing the comparison. I kinda think in terms of overall player KLS might be a better comparison. Azzi is probably a little better as a shooter (thus the KML comparisons), but while not spectacular on other things, I expect Azzi to be much better than KML on other aspects of her game, and I think she can get pull-up jumpers off the dribble better than KML or KLS.

To me the non shooting part of KML's game was in fact weak, and KLS's was close to average at least by Uconn standards. I think the rest of Azzi's game will be better than either, as will her ability to get off contested pull up jumpers off the dribble.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but when we think of players that are in-between the athletic ability of KML and Maya we might be including 80% of the players. That is not exactly narrowing the comparison. I kinda think in terms of overall player KLS might be a better comparison. Azzi is probably a little better as a shooter (thus the KML comparisons), but while not spectacular on other things, I expect Azzi to be much better than KML on other aspects of her game, and I think she can get pull-up jumpers off the dribble better than KML or KLS.

To me the non shooting part of KML's game was in fact weak, and KLS's was close to average at least by Uconn standards. I think the rest of Azzi's game will be better than either, as will her ability to get off contested pull up jumpers off the dribble.
I have to disagree on the KLS comparison after watching her many times. Azzi can create her own shot. I think folks get very touchy with UConn Mt. Rushmore player comparisons which leads to resistance and how dare yous....

After all the times I have watched Azzi and Maya, I'm never going to say they have exactly the same athleticism but Azzi has more than KML for sure.

Now where I see a direct comparison to Maya is Azzi's ability to take over a game, put her teammates on her back, shoot from anywhere when needed, and also get to the spot she wants to shoot from in a focused methodical determined way. Azzi is almost always all business and that reminds me a lot of Maya who to me was basically a professional the first day of practice at UConn.

I know envoking Maya's name is a sacrilege but its what I see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of comparisons, I can see Azzi as something of a cross between Maya and Kaleena. Maya has a big, strong body and big, strong hands. Until she became a pro, she could overpower the opposition. Maybe only Charles Oakley was more powerful. ;) She also had long arms and great vertical leap. Her straight-ahead speed was excellent, but Maya's "weakness" was that she had slow feet, especially moving laterally (CD said that). Maya was a very good shooter who became an excellent shooter. Her FT shooting was approaching 90% as a pro. Azzi is a better shooter than Maya.

Kaleena is almost exactly the same height as Azzi, though Azzi is trimmer and a little quicker. Kaleena has world-class hands. I think Azzi's may be comparable. Kaleena is stronger, but doesn't have the vertical that Azzi does. The Lewis Launch was well known when Kaleena was still in high school. She's one of the best shooters ever. Azzi's shooting form is different but classic and very repeatable. Her 3-pointer is comparable to Kaleena's, her pull-up is a little better, and her driving scoop shot is something that Kaleena doesn't have. That scoop shot helps elevate her shooting percentage.

I've seen Azzi play 10 times, including a couple of bad games (one in the finals of the GEICO national championship tourney when she had a bad ankle). I also saw her put up 38 in the D.C. City Championship game (she still holds the scoring record at the Mystics' arena). I kept hard stats for a few games, but don't have overall stats for Azzi. I'm pretty sure she shot better than 50/40/90 in those games. One season, she reportedly shot 52% from the arc. Of her FTs, I'd say over 50% were straight swishes and about 40% grazed the rim. All the hoopla over Azzi is because she's already on the short list of greatest shooters ever. She beat ALL the teenage boys at the Steph Curry camp 2 years in a row and lost to only Steph.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I doubt it, those numbers are just ridiculous! To put things into perspective, in Maya Moore's Senior season she did NOT reach ANY of those averages at 52/38/84. KML, who is regarded as the greatest shooter EVER at UConn 51.8/48.8/89.5 was not able to reach 2 out of 3 of those during her best season at UConn.
Kaleena missed being a 50/40/90 shooter in 2 different seasons by something like 1 missed FT each season. Take Kaleena's 52/49/90 (rounded) and add in more layups and pull-up jumpers (Azzi has a fuller repertoire). That would increase her overall FT shooting. In terms of FT shooting, Azzi is beyond excellent. Look at what Diana and Jewell have done the last few years. EDD is the only FT shooter I've seen who is more accurate.

Reaction Score

A lot of your memories are doing KML a disservice as remembering her as only a shooter with little else to offer. She was a pretty good rebounder, particularly in her first two seasons (averaged 6.3 rebounds a game her sophomore year).

Reaction Score
Kaleena missed being a 50/40/90 shooter in 2 different seasons by something like 1 missed FT each season. Take Kaleena's 52/49/90 (rounded) and add in more layups and pull-up jumpers (Azzi has a fuller repertoire). That would increase her overall FT shooting. In terms of FT shooting, Azzi is beyond excellent. Look at what Diana and Jewell have done the last few years. EDD is the only FT shooter I've seen who is more accurate.

I will give you 10-1 odds that Fudd doesn't have a 55/45/90 season, you want to take that bet?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Echoing some others, 55% overall shooting for a mostly perimeter oriented player is a very, very high expectation.

Reaction Score
I will give you 10-1 odds that Fudd doesn't have a 55/45/90 season, you want to take that bet?

I don't know you and these type of stats are sort of boring to even bother to bet - and I wouldn't bet with someone I don't know. Nor would I bet on these type of stats.

I think she'll be close. For example if anyone takes your bet and she goes 54/40/90 - they lose. I don't think that's really the purpose of the post that another poster made.

Reaction Score

Maya Moore's outside shot was questioned coming into college. In fact some wondered if she was too small to play in the paint and not a good enough shooter to play outside. Can't say where I read that but it was in more than one place. Just goes to show how wrong some people can be.
I think some players see a college scholarship as a resting point as far as working while others see it as just another step on the ladder up.

Reaction Score
I think Fudd is closer to Katie Smith or Kara Lawson, she’s definitely more of a guard then KML or Maya, remember she played point guard on one the the USA teams she played one. Playing with a player like Paige I think it will be easy for Azzi to have a 50/40/90 season.

Reaction Score
Echoing some others, 55% overall shooting for a mostly perimeter oriented player is a very, very high expectation.

But you have to acknowledge that you are not a fan or follower much of UCONN, right? You post and follow them incidentally, right?

Moriah Jefferson has a career numbers of 54.8% overall from the floor, Her fg% from 2 was 61.6%, her fg% from 3 was 42%, her ft% was 82%.

But if MoJeff can have a high% -- are you going to discount Azzi Fudd from this?

Reaction Score
Maya Moore's outside shot was questioned coming into college. In fact some wondered if she was too small to play in the paint and not a good enough shooter to play outside. Can't say where I read that but it was in more than one place. Just goes to show how wrong some people can be.
I think some players see a college scholarship as a resting point as far as working while others see it as just another step on the ladder up.

I'm not sure who questioned Moore's jump shot heading into UConn, but she shot 42% from 3pt range as a freshman and led the team in 3 pt makes.

Reaction Score
But you have to acknowledge that you are not a fan or follower much of UCONN, right? You post and follow them incidentally, right?

Moriah Jefferson has a career numbers of 54.8% overall from the floor, Her fg% from 2 was 61.6%, her fg% from 3 was 42%, her ft% was 82%.

But if MoJeff can have a high% -- are you going to discount Azzi Fudd from this?

Jefferson was a tremendous player, but she is a totally different player than Fudd! Jefferson scored in basically 2 different ways, either a wide open jump shot or a fast break lay up on a run out or a steal. Her shooting % numbers where inflated because of this. Fudd is more of a volume shooter, and it will be significantly harder for her to put up the same efficiency numbers. This is NOT intended to be a knock against Fudd, I am just trying to point out just how hard it is to put up a 55%/45%/90% line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom