Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19

Reaction Score
Take this with the two grains of salt it deserves, but a former boss is a former D1 player, has had multiple kids who've played in the DMV leagues and gone on to play college ball, and has known all the highly recruited DMV-area players, as he's still big in the youth basketball scene. He's seen Fudd play in person a number of times and thinks she is a bit overhyped (esp. post return from injury), and he believes Bueckers will be much more of the star for UConn than Fudd will. I was surprised he said it, but he's no UConn hater - he loves Bueckers and thinks she will be a "once in a generation" player. He just doesn't think Fudd will be. These U19 performances seem more in line with what he expects than what I think some of us were anticipating based on her earlier HS performances.

Fortunately for Huskies fans (and admirers), UConn still has Bueckers (and Geno), and nobody else does. =)
I'm simply not buying that line of thinking.............as long as she's healthy, there's very little Azzi Fudd can't do on a basketball court.........just a matter of whether Bueckers or Fudd records the first 30 point, 10 assist game of the season.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Take this with the two grains of salt it deserves, but a former boss is a former D1 player, has had multiple kids who've played in the DMV leagues and gone on to play college ball, and has known all the highly recruited DMV-area players, as he's still big in the youth basketball scene. He's seen Fudd play in person a number of times and thinks she is a bit overhyped (esp. post return from injury), and he believes Bueckers will be much more of the star for UConn than Fudd will. I was surprised he said it, but he's no UConn hater - he loves Bueckers and thinks she will be a "once in a generation" player. He just doesn't think Fudd will be. These U19 performances seem more in line with what he expects than what I think some of us were anticipating based on her earlier HS performances.

Fortunately for Huskies fans (and admirers), UConn still has Bueckers (and Geno), and nobody else does. =)
Your source wouldn’t be Coach Jumper?

Reaction Score
Have to fervently disagree. She shoots a lot because she's often the first (and best) option for the team. She is a willing and able passer (if you examine her stats at all) and tallies a good number of assists. I really dislike it when posters make these character assassinations of teenagers just because they are fans of another team.
bcuz I said she's a gunner is not character assassination I don't her to comment on her character but from I see in basketball she's a gunner period as for being the best option on her team that can fly for Iowa maybe I don't follow Iowa but on team USA i'm sure there are a lot options than her so if's she's such a good passer then her assist should be better than what she's average in college. so sir don't try and assassinate the character of other BY'ers who offer their opinions I think that's what the forum is for

Reaction Score
I agree with your conclusion but not your premise. Azzi has played solid overall. However, I can't think of which of the guards "can just shoot."

Can't be Citron (tied with posts Betts and Ware for team lead in rebounds with 14).

Can't be Paopao (team-leading 11 ast, team-leading 6 steals).

Can't be Clark (13 reb, team-leading 11 ast)
I tend to go with DePup more than what you're saying in terms of context (they all can't both be significantly good passers and shooters otherwise we'd be having 5/6/7 All-American college players on this team.). I don’t know enough about the other players and you and many others have a ton more knowledge of all these players- but I sort of focused on 2 players other than Azzi. with the 1st game I was cracking up when Azzi was in there with Clark and Johnson. Don't get me wrong -- these are two amazing players. And ofc Clark is off-the-charts.

But sticking to Johnson-- she's a reluctant passer. I just want to make it clear - I think she's terrific - but just look at her stats when she was at RU. She is 5'5? And she averaged nearly 13 shots a game - and averaging 33.5 mpg, she only averaged a little above 2.5 assists with a not so hot assist to turnover ratio of 1.4. All in al not bad for a frosh but she did average over 40% more shots taken than the 3rd and 4th players on her RU team (which she is leaving now.). - But now let's look at this team.

She's 2nd on the team with 20 shots taken so far. Her assist to turnover ratio is 2nd worst on the team even though she is a 5'5 uber quick guard. She has been terrific a very efficient scorer for a guard but man, she is a gunner like Clark.

That 1st game it was pretty comical in 2nd half Johnson is bringing the ball up and either she is going to make a move on her own or she is going to pass it to the team's 1st option - which is Clark. By the way, I think with that lineup Betts was in. It's comical because it seemed so futile that Azzi was going to get many touches.

So yeah Johnson and Clark can pass. But that's not what they are looking to do. If Azzi is going to play with Johnson, Clark and Betts (Betts is beast) - Azzi isn't going to get many looks even though the other players "can pass." :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As Geno has often said, a shooter has to shoot. Azzi has been advertised as a shooter but even in the first game (when she hit 2 of 3 shots) she didn't appear to be looking for her shot. Perhaps she is just adjusting to others around her who were doing the shooting and/or perhaps she, as she has noted, is also quite a nervous individual and was just showing nerves when she took to looking to pass first.

The upshot was that in two games she has contributed 12 points which is not what several of us expected. No one is panicking, other than one responder who has already suggested that she not be a starter with UConn! We are just passing on our reaction to a shooter who wasn't shooting when she was hitting her shot (in the first game) and who wasn't hitting when she was shooting (in the second game.)

Keep in mind that in the 2019 U19, it was Rhyne Howard who was the feature shooter and leading scorer and yet Paige won MVP.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score

Hopefully he's wrong but I can totally see it. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score

Hopefully he's wrong but I can totally see it. Only time will tell.

There's something to be said about a lot of the hype that comes with these athletes coming into their respective program. We see it on social media all the time....."This kids a problem", "Up next", "Top 50 of whatever class", etc. How many of these players actually end up being the next big thing? We're starting to rely too much on 30 - 60 second highlight videos and the social media machine that churns this out.

Fudd could end up being a legendary player and Bueckers could still outshine her. It happens all the time in all sports. And if this ends up being the case UCONN fans won't be complaining.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
For some small sample size theater - here is the team ranked by FIBA's "efficiency" stat (don't ask me how this is calculated). I would say this matches the eye test fairly well:

1. Betts (38)
2. Clark (36)
3. Citron (33)
4. Paopao (30)
5. Johnson (23)
6. Fudd (22)
7. Ware (20)
T8. Spear (19*)
T8. Verhulst (19)
10. Feagin (14)
T11. DeBerry (6)
T11. Wolfenbarger (6)

*Spear did not play vs. Australia.

Save for Betts, the +/- is pretty similar:

1) Spears - 36.0*
2) Citron - 32.5
T3) Clark - 26.5
T3) Paopao - 26.5
5) Fudd - 25.5
6) Johnson - 25.0
7) Verhulst - 24.5
8) Feagin - 24.0
9) Ware - 22.0
10) Betts - 18.0
11) Wolfenbarger - 3.5
12) DeBerry - 1.5

PvP

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that in the 2019 U19, it was Rhyne Howard who was the feature shooter and leading scorer and yet Paige won MVP.
Ok I will keep that in mind. So, with that in mind, are you suggesting that Azzi has been the MVP of the US squad over these first two games? If so, I'm not seeing it. If not, what is your point?

Reaction Score
Ok I will keep that in mind. So, with that in mind, are you suggesting that Azzi has been the MVP of the US squad over these first two games? If so, I'm not seeing it. If not, what is your point?
No I think what Alydar is saying is that being a hot shooter doesn't guarantee MVP at the end of the tournament. Doesn't mean it's Azzi, but just saying the FIBA voters look at more than just points.

Reaction Score
bcuz I said she's a gunner is not character assassination I don't her to comment on her character but from I see in basketball she's a gunner period as for being the best option on her team that can fly for Iowa maybe I don't follow Iowa but on team USA i'm sure there are a lot options than her so if's she's such a good passer then her assist should be better than what she's average in college. so sir don't try and assassinate the character of other BY'ers who offer their opinions I think that's what the forum is for
I still like the "GREAT CAITLIN CLARK"!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thank you for the link. Have it up and it's still pre-game, but it's interesting to see the coaches talking to the players before the game. Specifically, Close was talking to Fudd and Verhulst - both players were very attentive and nodding to the coach as she gave them some final instructions.

Not that any players on the team are divas, but it's nice to see the attention and attitude of these young players being very positive!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Today so far is "get the ball to Azzi". Starts the game off with a 3, catches and dishes for a great would-be assist to Clark who missed the 3, then ran the floor and scored on a nice lefty layup. USA up 5-1

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Betts, Johnson and Citron in after two minutes.

Citron draws fouls...two straight trips to the foul line (4-4)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Nice break with Citron dishing to Fudd, who hit a nice baseline jump. Clark's in the mood, too, whipping passes around. Citron to Fudd for the baseline, again; in between another Citron visit to the foul line.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The score not withstanding, the Egyptian kids understand the game and play decent BB.
It's like a decent HS team playing a college-all-star team.

I'm impressed with their understanding of the game and their poise.

The American kids are really proficient and relentless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom