Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Not to worry.
Since Nika will be the Point, Azzi & Paige being "Shooting" guards coming off screen's to shoot/score as the first option, and shuffling the ball off to a teammate in better scoring position the 2nd option. Don't worry.
;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
to Clarke is a gunner and selfish player she shoots first and never looks to pass I agree with the assessment of Azzi she's comfortable in who she is and plays like it not like I'm Azzi Fudd the next big thing in basketball, I guess since most of these players are already in college she's deferring to them and playing with a pass and defend point guard who only takes the open shot instead of always looking for her shot as Clarke does
If Caitlin Clark is a selfish player who never looks to pass, how did she get 7 assists in yesterday's game?

Do you remember that for much of last year, Geno was trying (with limited success) to get Paige to be less unselfish and more of a gunner, since she had the best jump shot on the team? I agree that Caitlin would not have needed that feedback from her coach, but that is a good thing as long as she hits a good percentage.

In the first half of yesterday's game, she was shooting 3's from Honolulu and they were going in the basket. As long as that is the case, she should keep shooting, because then the opponent will have to guard her at extreme distance from the basket, grievously distorting the defense. In the second half, when she stopped hitting, she probably should have dialed back her 3-point shooting attempts a bit more than she did, but by that time the game was in hand thanks to her first-half scoring.

I think that if Azzi had been shooting well in the first half and Caitlin's shot was not working, Caitlin would have passed to Azzi. That may have been the original game plan, but when it was apparent that Azzi's shot was not falling, Caitlin put the team's scoring on her back -- exactly what she should have done.

Reaction Score
Watched the route of Australia. Here is what I noticed.

1. My opinion of Azzi has changed. She is so unselfish, a definite pass-first player. She is one of the few on the team that does a nice job of defending the dribbler. I thought because of her shooting she would start for UConn. I think she will be fine with whatever role Geno has in mind.

2. Lauren Betts and Cameron Brink will be a dynamite tandem in Stanford. Betts has good hands, a nice touch and under control.

3, The last time I saw Peyton Verhulst in FIBA action, I thought she was the best player on that squad. She has either leveled off or others have passed her. Citron is a similar type of player but seemingly more impactful than Verhulst so far.

4. Clark broke open the game in the second quarter with a series of bombs. She is a shoot-first point guard which may annoy some UConn fans but I think Geno would love coaching her if she was a Husky.

5. I think Close has done a good job of getting them to play unselfishly. The teams they crushed aren't great but I think it will take a really good team to beat the USA.

6. Close wants to push it. I don't think DeBerry can handle the pace. Was happy to see her score off a nice feed.
Great observations and thanks for sharing. I have really come to enjoy Coach Close coaching style the more I watch her teams play. Clark is just a straight beast!!! 24/9/7 those are ELITE numbers. It is going to be interesting to see Azzi and her role with UConn. Heck it is going to be interesting to see everyone's role this season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that when Australia had the ball on
offense, whoever was covered by Azzi seemed to have a
"green" light to drive to the basket? There was rarely
any backside help. VERY IMPRESSED BY LAUREN BETTS!
... Stanford will be good this year and with her next year
there will be little need for a lot of development.
I enjoyed watching Amari and Wolfenbarger on the floor at
the same time. TWO additional 6' 5" players ; such a
luxury and a tall wall for the reserves of any opponent!
I agree mostly, but not completely on Azzi's defense. You stated that backside help was rare. But as a defender rule number one in the quarter court is not to get beat baseline. This U19 team has a skyscraper on defense in Betts, and as a defender it is your job to turn your mark into the defense. Now, if you get beat overplaying the pass, with so much length in the middle, that's explainable. That Azzi was beaten to the baseline any number of times was on her. But Close realizes, as did Berube, that Azzi rarely turns the ball over, is a team first player, and will make the pass and play that's necessary. Azzi is a natural for bringing the ball across the half court. However, during the first game Azzi seemed to be deferring to the upper classmen in the offensive end. This game she hit her first shot, then seemed to lose confidence in her shot when she missed two open pull ups. That however didn't stop her from playing hard on offense and defense, nor did it stop her from moving the ball well on offense and making the good pass. This is why I've said a few times that on offense I believe that when Paige and Azzi are on the court together Azzi will be bringing up the ball.

What isn't there to say about Betts? I was a big fan of hers at her previous U's and I really wanted her in Storrs. Really wanted her. Her game is complete. She can hit the short jumper, finishes with both hands at the cup, runs the floor well, and is a beast on the boards. Stanford can match up against SCar's Boston and Cardoso very well with the killer B's, Belibi, Betts, and Brink. I still think UConn not getting Cardoso was a horrible missed opportunity.

Amari however seems a touch under conditioned, though she runs the floor better than I thought. I'd like to see more of her inside and whether she has anything beyond 8 feet. Egypt is a good game for Amari to get plenty of minutes.
to Clarke is a gunner and selfish player she shoots first and never looks to pass I agree with the assessment of Azzi she's comfortable in who she is and plays like it not like I'm Azzi Fudd the next big thing in basketball, I guess since most of these players are already in college she's deferring to them and playing with a pass and defend point guard who only takes the open shot instead of always looking for her shot as Clarke does

You can't be a player that "never looks to pass" and lead the team in assists. Simply not possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Caitlin Clark is a selfish player who never looks to pass, how did she get 7 assists in yesterday's game?

Do you remember that for much of last year, Geno was trying (with limited success) to get Paige to be less unselfish and more of a gunner, since she had the best jump shot on the team? I agree that Caitlin would not have needed that feedback from her coach, but that is a good thing as long as she hits a good percentage.

In the first half of yesterday's game, she was shooting 3's from Honolulu and they were going in the basket. As long as that is the case, she should keep shooting, because then the opponent will have to guard her at extreme distance from the basket, grievously distorting the defense. In the second half, when she stopped hitting, she probably should have dialed back her 3-point shooting attempts a bit more than she did, but by that time the game was in hand thanks to her first-half scoring.

I think that if Azzi had been shooting well in the first half and Caitlin's shot was not working, Caitlin would have passed to Azzi. That may have been the original game plan, but when it was apparent that Azzi's shot was not falling, Caitlin put the team's scoring on her back -- exactly what she should have done.

I don't think selfish is the right term. I know this word is in response to someone else, however I think it can be viewed from a different vantage point.

I recall there being articles and talk from BIG10 commentators that Coach Bluder had to work on Caitlin not feeling like she had to take on the load by herself. If my memory is correct, a lot was expected out of her with the AAU program and HS teams she played for. This is not an easy thing to change once you move to a different team.

There definitely was a change in her playing style as the season progressed. I think Clark now knows how to balance her playing style depending on the situation due to this.

Reaction Score

Well said. I think Caitlin is doing what is expected. She has always been that attacking player; junior high, high school, and college. I don't think she is selfish. It is like having Curry, Klay Thompson, Larry Bird, or any other great shooter on your team. If that rascal is in the zone, if you are smart, you are going to be looking to make sure that shooter is getting the touch. Clarke was just in that zone. Players were looking for her and she was just heat checking and nailing those shots.

Reaction Score
I agree mostly, but not completely on Azzi's defense. You stated that backside help was rare. But as a defender rule number one in the quarter court is not to get beat baseline. This U19 team has a skyscraper on defense in Betts, and as a defender it is your job to turn your mark into the defense. Now, if you get beat overplaying the pass, with so much length in the middle, that's explainable. That Azzi was beaten to the baseline any number of times was on her. But Close realizes, as did Berube, that Azzi rarely turns the ball over, is a team first player, and will make the pass and play that's necessary. Azzi is a natural for bringing the ball across the half court. However, during the first game Azzi seemed to be deferring to the upper classmen in the offensive end. This game she hit her first shot, then seemed to lose confidence in her shot when she missed two open pull ups. That however didn't stop her from playing hard on offense and defense, nor did it stop her from moving the ball well on offense and making the good pass. This is why I've said a few times that on offense I believe that when Paige and Azzi are on the court together Azzi will be bringing up the ball.

What isn't there to say about Betts? I was a big fan of hers at her previous U's and I really wanted her in Storrs. Really wanted her. Her game is complete. She can hit the short jumper, finishes with both hands at the cup, runs the floor well, and is a beast on the boards. Stanford can match up against SCar's Boston and Cardoso very well with the killer B's, Belibi, Betts, and Brink. I still think UConn not getting Cardoso was a horrible missed opportunity.

Amari however seems a touch under conditioned, though she runs the floor better than I thought. I'd like to see more of her inside and whether she has anything beyond 8 feet.

You can't be a player that "never looks to pass" and lead the team in assists. Simply not possible.
You do realize that Betts will be a senior in high school?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You do realize that Betts will be a senior in high school?
Yeah. You think Belibi and Brink will be gone by the time she gets there?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Brink and Betts, if my third grade math works, should have two years together.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

1. My opinion of Azzi has changed. She is so unselfish, a definite pass-first player. She is one of the few on the team that does a nice job of defending the dribbler. I thought because of her shooting she would start for UConn. I think she will be fine with whatever role Geno has in mind.

2. Lauren Betts and Cameron Brink will be a dynamite tandem in Stanford. Betts has good hands, a nice touch and under control.

3, The last time I saw Peyton Verhulst in FIBA action, I thought she was the best player on that squad. She has either leveled off or others have passed her. Citron is a similar type of player but seemingly more impactful than Verhulst so far.

4. Clark broke open the game in the second quarter with a series of bombs. She is a shoot-first point guard which may annoy some UConn fans but I think Geno would love coaching her if she was a Husky.

5. I think Close has done a good job of getting them to play unselfishly. The teams they crushed aren't great but I think it will take a really good team to beat the USA.

6. Close wants to push it. I don't think DeBerry can handle the pace. Was happy to see her score off a nice feed.
How can you judge, DeBerry can't handle the pace, she doesn't get playing time.

Reaction Score
o Clarke is a gunner and selfish player she shoots first and never looks to pass
Have to fervently disagree. She shoots a lot because she's often the first (and best) option for the team. She is a willing and able passer (if you examine her stats at all) and tallies a good number of assists. I really dislike it when posters make these character assassinations of teenagers just because they are fans of another team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That might happen once, after which Geno will have a meltdown, and it will never happen again.

PvP

Reaction Score
I don't agree with any of this. I don't see her at all as a pass 1st guard. I just don't see how you (to be fair- others have too) drew this conclusion. You want t her to keep hoisting shots even if she is off rather than also show off that she is one terrific passer?

In game 2 she was 3-9 from the floor. One shot almost broke the backboard - I saw one airball and I heard another was an airball too. You want her to keep hoisting and be a chucker rather than show off other parts of her game? That's not a UCONN player if so.
As Geno has often said, a shooter has to shoot. Azzi has been advertised as a shooter but even in the first game (when she hit 2 of 3 shots) she didn't appear to be looking for her shot. Perhaps she is just adjusting to others around her who were doing the shooting and/or perhaps she, as she has noted, is also quite a nervous individual and was just showing nerves when she took to looking to pass first.

The upshot was that in two games she has contributed 12 points which is not what several of us expected. No one is panicking, other than one responder who has already suggested that she not be a starter with UConn! We are just passing on our reaction to a shooter who wasn't shooting when she was hitting her shot (in the first game) and who wasn't hitting when she was shooting (in the second game.)

Reaction Score
I still go back to Close realizes that Azzi has more overall bball skills where most of the other guards can just shoot.

I feel like the team needs Azzi more to facilitate and play defense then they need her shooting so she is playing the role the team needs.

Seems like the perfect UConn player.

Reaction Score
I still go back to Close realizes that Azzi has more overall bball skills where most of the other guards can just shoot.

I feel like the team needs Azzi more to facilitate and play defense then they need her shooting so she is playing the role the team needs.

Also, with the make up of this team, the coaches may see a different role for her in comparison to how she'll be utilized at UCONN.

Combining the best players who may all have similar qualities is a juggling act. I do not envy these coaches when making their decisions, especially with the roster.

Reaction Score

Checking out the " stats" for the first two games. Who is tied for fewest
Turnovers over 2 games? Azzi Fudd! 24 minutes per game, tied for
last in turnover ( there are many players who are tied at # 71 in turnovers.
Also from the "stat line" who is averaging (approximately) a point
a minute? Lauren Betts 14.5 points per game in 15.3 minutes per game
The leading scorer is Shayeann Day Wilson 30pt average per game, 60points, for Canada. 5'6" Guard. 18yoa A player at SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY!!

Reaction Score
As Geno has often said, a shooter has to shoot. Azzi has been advertised as a shooter but even in the first game (when she hit 2 of 3 shots) she didn't appear to be looking for her shot. Perhaps she is just adjusting to others around her who were doing the shooting and/or perhaps she, as she has noted, is also quite a nervous individual and was just showing nerves when she took to looking to pass first.

The upshot was that in two games she has contributed 12 points which is not what several of us expected. No one is panicking, other than one responder who has already suggested that she not be a starter with UConn! We are just passing on our reaction to a shooter who wasn't shooting when she was hitting her shot (in the first game) and who wasn't hitting when she was shooting (in the second game.)
Azzi is tied for FEWEST turnovers in the tournament over two games. She
is being a "team" player, doing the quiet things that help the team to win.
I saw at least one BEAUTIFUL entry past into the low post by AZZI. ...Image
her having the option to shoot her mid range jumper or pass it down low
to Nelson-Ododa, Dorka J. , Aaliyah Edwarrds, Amari DeBerry, or Piath!
Wonderful anticipation!

Reaction Score

I understand your point - hell yeah I'm with ya over the next 4 years in big games we want her shooting (to a degree)! Though if Paige is hot and Cwill is hot and Azzi isn't - we don't want Azzi to keep chucking. This is the beauty of Azzi-

She is more than a shooter. She is showing that to us which just highlights how good she is. Anyone suggesting she is only a shooter or only very good at shooting would be wrong. She’s a triple threat. If her shot is off – she will not keep chucking if her team does not need her to. Geno wouldn't have her do that either. Just like with CWill he got her to do other things. With Azzi she naturally can do other things.

The same with Paige - if her shot is off- she can pass brilliantly. So can Azzi.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For all who seem disappointed that Azzi is not putting up 30 ppg in the U-19’s, please be reminded that between injuries and the pandemic, Azzi has played relatively little basketball over the past 2 years. Personally, I am delighted that Azzi appears healthy, moving well and displaying great poise and leadership on the court.

As for Azzi’s shooting, I’ll rely on Geno’s assessment from summer workouts. “She catches it the same way, and shoots it the same way. And because her footwork is always right, it always looks like it’s going in.” He went on to say, “Azzi just walks around like she’s good.”

I think that pretty much sums it up…..,,

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Take this with the two grains of salt it deserves, but a former boss is a former D1 player, has had multiple kids who've played in the DMV leagues and gone on to play college ball, and has known all the highly recruited DMV-area players, as he's still big in the youth basketball scene. He's seen Fudd play in person a number of times and thinks she is a bit overhyped (esp. post return from injury), and he believes Bueckers will be much more of the star for UConn than Fudd will. I was surprised he said it, but he's no UConn hater - he loves Bueckers and thinks she will be a "once in a generation" player. He just doesn't think Fudd will be. These U19 performances seem more in line with what he expects than what I think some of us were anticipating based on her earlier HS performances.

Fortunately for Huskies fans (and admirers), UConn still has Bueckers (and Geno), and nobody else does. =)

Reaction Score
The first two games of this tournament are the first time I have seen Azzi play actual games and I certainly recognize that two games are way too limited a means for any meaningful judgment particularly as she is playing under a completely different coach, but all that being said, I would have to say that what I saw disappointed me compared to what I expected. She didn't start the first game which surprised me and even though she did start in the second game and played very significant minutes, I agree she seemed like a "pass first" guard rather than the dangerous shooting guard I expected. She seemed quite passive in terms of seeking her shot and even when she took shots in the second game, she didn't shoot with the kind of precision I had expected, either from two point range or from beyond the arc, even tossing up an air ball on one of her three point tries.

I am certainly not making any assumptions, just posting my impression after my first direct exposure to her in game conditions.
Like Paige Bueckers, is just an old basketball soul........she has that special gift of just knowing what to do and where to be on the court at all times.........this is subtle stuff..........are there players who can do more spectacular things on the court? Absolutely but can they do it as part of a team effort? has a refined game that will simply fit right into the UConn team philosophy...............she's played very little basketball in recent months and has come back from several nagging injuries..............revisit some of her high school and AAU highlights and let us know what you think............if she can stay healthy I'm pretty confident you will see her name up on the wall along side with some other pretty special players..........

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I agree with your conclusion but not your premise. Azzi has played solid overall. However, I can't think of which of the guards "can just shoot."

Can't be Citron (tied with posts Betts and Ware for team lead in rebounds with 14).

Can't be Paopao (team-leading 11 ast, team-leading 6 steals).

Can't be Clark (13 reb, team-leading 11 ast)

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For some small sample size theater - here is the team ranked by FIBA's "efficiency" stat (don't ask me how this is calculated). I would say this matches the eye test fairly well:

1. Betts (38)
2. Clark (36)
3. Citron (33)
4. Paopao (30)
5. Johnson (23)
6. Fudd (22)
7. Ware (20)
T8. Spear (19*)
T8. Verhulst (19)
10. Feagin (14)
T11. DeBerry (6)
T11. Wolfenbarger (6)