Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19 | The Boneyard

Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Watched the route of Australia. Here is what I noticed.

1. My opinion of Azzi has changed. She is so unselfish, a definite pass-first player. She is one of the few on the team that does a nice job of defending the dribbler. I thought because of her shooting she would start for UConn. I think she will be fine with whatever role Geno has in mind.

2. Lauren Betts and Cameron Brink will be a dynamite tandem in Stanford. Betts has good hands, a nice touch and under control.

3, The last time I saw Peyton Verhulst in FIBA action, I thought she was the best player on that squad. She has either leveled off or others have passed her. Citron is a similar type of player but seemingly more impactful than Verhulst so far.

4. Clark broke open the game in the second quarter with a series of bombs. She is a shoot-first point guard which may annoy some UConn fans but I think Geno would love coaching her if she was a Husky.

5. I think Close has done a good job of getting them to play unselfishly. The teams they crushed aren't great but I think it will take a really good team to beat the USA.

6. Close wants to push it. I don't think DeBerry can handle the pace. Was happy to see her score off a nice feed.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with most of your observations.

I notice that (unlike yesterday against Italy) Azzi played nearly the entire game until garbage time in the middle of the 4th quarter. (Don't ask me why Caitlin Clark continued to play through even those minutes.) Her 3-ball wasn't falling, and I think she only had 4 points -- haven't seen a box score yet.

Actually, I am surprised that she played all those minutes without the obvious production to justify it. It seemed like she was playing because she was the guard least likely to make big errors -- she didn't turn the ball over and she was in the right position on defense. I notice that she handled the throw-ins whenever they were facing a full-court press. That seems to be the only plausible explanation for all those minutes.

Amari had a nice monster block near the end of the game as well as a nice score off a feed. She definitely needs work, but she is way ahead of Piath as a freshman from what I can see. But it's a good thing that Geno got Dorka.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I agree with most of your observations.

I notice that (unlike yesterday against Italy) Azzi played nearly the entire game until garbage time in the middle of the 4th quarter. (Don't ask me why Caitlin Clark continued to play through even those minutes.) Her 3-ball wasn't falling, and I think she only had 4 points -- haven't seen a box score yet.

Actually, I am surprised that she played all those minutes without the obvious production to justify it. It seemed like she was playing because she was the guard least likely to make big errors -- she didn't turn the ball over and she was in the right position on defense. I notice that she handled the throw-ins whenever they were facing a full-court press. That seems to be the only plausible explanation for all those minutes.

Amari had a nice monster block near the end of the game as well as a nice score off a feed. She definitely needs work, but she is way ahead of Piath as a freshman from what I can see. But it's a good thing that Geno got Dorka.
I think Geno will have a similar mindset that Close has regarding Azzi. Close trusts Azzi to make the right pass, work hard on defense and of course has the potential to be a big scorer. I am happy that Close is playing her so much. I detect a little rust in her game.

I also agree that Close's rotation is a little tighter than a lot of these FIBA tournaments. The minutes distribution is normally a little more equal. We could have seen Amari a lot earlier in the fourth quarter for example. The USA was up by 40.

Reaction Score
Clark (7) and Fudd (6) were responsible for half of the US's assists. Clark also had 9 rebounds, second to Bett's 12. Most of the team had one thought whenever they touched the ball ... score by themselves. Understandable because that has been their role in HS. Fudd looked to score too but she didn't force shots, resulting in 6 assists. She sees the floor and reads defenses. Clark just felt it in the 1st half but in the 2nd, when she missed a few 3's she became a driver and passer.

All in all a better game than the final score indicates.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that when Australia had the ball on
offense, whoever was covered by Azzi seemed to have a
"green" light to drive to the basket? There was rarely
any backside help. VERY IMPRESSED BY LAUREN BETTS!
... Stanford will be good this year and with her next year
there will be little need for a lot of development.
I enjoyed watching Amari and Wolfenbarger on the floor at
the same time. TWO additional 6' 5" players ; such a
luxury and a tall wall for the reserves of any opponent!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

1. My opinion of Azzi has changed. She is so unselfish, a definite pass-first player. She is one of the few on the team that does a nice job of defending the dribbler. I thought because of her shooting she would start for UConn. I think she will be fine with whatever role Geno has in mind.

2. Lauren Betts and Cameron Brink will be a dynamite tandem in Stanford. Betts has good hands, a nice touch and under control.

3, The last time I saw Peyton Verhulst in FIBA action, I thought she was the best player on that squad. She has either leveled off or others have passed her. Citron is a similar type of player but seemingly more impactful than Verhulst so far.

4. Clark broke open the game in the second quarter with a series of bombs. She is a shoot-first point guard which may annoy some UConn fans but I think Geno would love coaching her if she was a Husky.

5. I think Close has done a good job of getting them to play unselfishly. The teams they crushed aren't great but I think it will take a really good team to beat the USA.

6. Close wants to push it. I don't think DeBerry can handle the pace. Was happy to see her score off a nice feed.
Thanks Victor. I had to leave just as the game came on. Just got back. Didn’t see the game. I’m relying on the observations of you and others. I really wanted to see the game today. Hopefully I‘ll get to see a replay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the portion of the game that I watched, I thought there was way too many threes thrown up during the first 10 seconds of the clock from 5-6 feet behind the line, often while being guarded and a spin move thrown in. Not enough working of the ball for a better shot.

Reaction Score
I think Azzi will fit in well at UConn.. She did some great facilitating from the 2 guard position which is a mainstay of UConn basketball. It's something I wish Chrystin could do more of...

To tell you the truth, I think Close wants Azzi out there to facilitate and play defense since the rest of the 2 and 3 guards just want to score every time they get the ball and defense is just an after thought. It's great to see her whole bag of tricks. In highschool when I've seen her she has to be the scorer for them to win so you don't see all her game.

After the injuries, I was impressed with Azzi's defense on dribblers...

From what I saw, Deberry is going to have to improve her defense down low to get more minutes. Lateral foot movement.

Reaction Score
1. I AM IMPRESSED BY THE U.S. TEAM, IT WOULD SURPRISE ME IF ANY TEAM GIVES THEM A CHALLENGE.

2. BETTS IS IMPRESSIVE. ONLY QUESTION IS IF SHE WILL SUSTAIN A LONG CAREER BECAUSE SHE LUMBERS UP AND DOWN THE COURT.

3. Nice highlight reel blocks by Ware and Deberry. They are holding their own.

4. Lots of quality ball handlers on this team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the 2 UConn frosh to be. For all practical purposes, Azzi is being used primarily as a pg on this team, setting up her teammates while playing tough D. Who new?

Amari came in for limited minutes at the end of the game, but had 3 really nice plays in a row: a nice screen & roll that she scored on, another screen and roll that she passed to a teammate for a score and a really nice help rejection on D.

I’m looking forward to seeing both Azzi & Amari at UConn. We all know Azzi can score. Her game is more well rounded than I thought. Azzi will get PT right away at UConn.

Amari will take a little longer to develop, but I like her skill set. It’s just a matter of time before Jamelle works her magic on Amari to have her ready to play meaningful minutes, possibly towards the end of this coming season.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When is our next game in this competition? And against who?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When is our next game in this competition? And against who?
Vs Egypt tomorrow at 2:30 pm. The game will very likely be a complete blowout.

PvP

Reaction Score
Thanks Victor. I had to leave just as the game came on. Just got back. Didn’t see the game. I’m relying on the observations of you and others. I really wanted to see the game today. Hopefully I‘ll get to see a replay.
You can see a tape of the game anytime you choose. So if you missed it "live", you can always catch it later on YouTube. No need to rely on anyone.

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
The first two games of this tournament are the first time I have seen Azzi play actual games and I certainly recognize that two games are way too limited a means for any meaningful judgment particularly as she is playing under a completely different coach, but all that being said, I would have to say that what I saw disappointed me compared to what I expected. She didn't start the first game which surprised me and even though she did start in the second game and played very significant minutes, I agree she seemed like a "pass first" guard rather than the dangerous shooting guard I expected. She seemed quite passive in terms of seeking her shot and even when she took shots in the second game, she didn't shoot with the kind of precision I had expected, either from two point range or from beyond the arc, even tossing up an air ball on one of her three point tries.

I am certainly not making any assumptions, just posting my impression after my first direct exposure to her in game conditions.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with Azzi's defense in the Australia game. She had fast hands in High School and got a good number of steals, but she didn't seem to be that motivated to play defense. Her instincts on D in the FIBA game were great. I like how when she does get beat on the perimeter she immediately goes back out to cover a 3 point shooter to protect against a kick out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Vs Egypt tomorrow at 2:30 pm. The game will very likely be a complete blowout.

By transitivity we should win by 120+ pts

Well, for context, Italy beat Egypt 81-73 and we beat the Italians by nearly 60 points.
Catch the first few shifts.....

Reaction Score
The first two games of this tournament are the first time I have seen Azzi play actual games and I certainly recognize that two games are way too limited a means for any meaningful judgment particularly as she is playing under a completely different coach, but all that being said, I would have to say that what I saw disappointed me compared to what I expected. She didn't start the first game which surprised me and even though she did start in the second game and played very significant minutes, I agree she seemed like a "pass first" guard rather than the dangerous shooting guard I expected. She seemed quite passive in terms of seeking her shot and even when she took shots in the second game, she didn't shoot with the kind of precision I had expected, either from two point range or from beyond the arc, even tossing up an air ball on one of her three point tries.

I am certainly not making any assumptions, just posting my impression after my first direct exposure to her in game conditions.

I don't agree with any of this. I don't see her at all as a pass 1st guard. I just don't see how you (to be fair- others have too) drew this conclusion. You want her to keep hoisting shots even if she is off rather than also show off that she is one terrific passer?

In game 2 she was 3-9 from the floor. One shot almost broke the backboard - I saw one airball and I heard another was an airball too. You want her to keep hoisting and be a chucker rather than show off other parts of her game? That's not a UCONN player if so.

Reaction Score

to Clarke is a gunner and selfish player she shoots first and never looks to pass I agree with the assessment of Azzi she's comfortable in who she is and plays like it not like I'm Azzi Fudd the next big thing in basketball, I guess since most of these players are already in college she's deferring to them and playing with a pass and defend point guard who only takes the open shot instead of always looking for her shot as Clarke does

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom