Nych Smith (Committed to Fordham) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nych Smith (Committed to Fordham)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know we just won 2 NC, but can we get a couple more instant impact players. I know stars don't necessarily matter but can we please close the deal in a couple more top 100? How bout someone between 80 and 100. And why do we have to get a 3 star that's not over 6 ft? ....WTF!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Remember when everyone mocked Aquille Carr being a 5'7" point guard despite being a scoring machine? Now it seems the coaching staff has fallen in love with undersized players. Give me a 6'6" or 6'7" point forward like Magic Johnson or Penny Hardaway anytime. I'm hoping DHam becomes this for us once he gains maturity and reduces his turnovers and mental mistakes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'll do that as soon as you get a neck reduction like that 17 year old got a reduction.

I'm not losing any Hilton Units anytime soon. Nuh uh.

Reaction Score
I'm not losing any Hilton Units anytime soon. Nuh uh.

We'll I won't be giving our HC any suggestions anytime soon. He knows what the team needs. And I trust in him. As a fan who shouldn't be so invested in recruiting I'm just a tiny bit worried.

Reaction Score
As a fan who shouldn't be so invested in recruiting I'm just a tiny bit worried.
Why?

Getting our two top targets - Adams & Enoch - early gave us the chance to swing at some bigger names. We swung and missed, but we'll still have (at worst) six 4/5-star players and a number of tournament-proven three stars (Brimah & Samuel) in next year's rotation.

Also: each recruiting class under KO has had more high-level kids than the one before it.

2013: zero top-30, one top-100 (Facey)
2014: one top-30 (Hamilton)
2015: one top-30 (Adams), one top-100 (Enoch)

I get having some frustration, but the dramatics from some around here is out of proportion with reality.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He'll probably choose Bradley

Reaction Score
Good points. T Sam would be leading the UK attack if he went there and Stein, Towns, Lyles and Johnson would never see the court with Facey there. I agree, the rankings are meaningless.

What are you people thinking? We have been losing to these players all year. We need four or five guys who can play and will stick for 4 years. So, that when we get a star(DHam, Adams) we have a a team around them. We're not Kentucky or Duke. If we strike out with 5 stars and not take these guys while we can, we end up with Faceys and TSams. And remember rankings mean little because once they get the offer from UConn, their stock rises(a la Ali) and their ranking goes up and they start getting offers from other schools.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Good points. T Sam would be leading the UK attack if he went there and Stein, Towns, Lyles and Johnson would never see the court with Facey there. I agree, the rankings are meaningless.

Go find a bridge to hide under - I hear that's a much better environment for trolling.

Reaction Score
I drink the blue kool aid as much as the next guy, but this year's recruiting has been pretty disappointing. I think Adams will be a stud, but he's the kind of "local" recruit we should be reeling in yearly anyways. Enoch is a project big man joining a rotation anchored by a project big man. We lost out on Ali/Jackson and struck out on plans B-Y. Stone isn't coming here and we're down to scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel for another ball handler. We're fresh off a national championship, a new facility and we have a young coach that garnered NBA attention (the double edged sword that that is) and we don't seem to be cashing in on any of that.

I'm tired of hearing "we're not kentucky/duke/UNC/whoever" and having posters acting like we win championships with a roster full of lightly regarded recruits. Sure, integral members of some of our best teams have been low ranked recruits - like lamb - but we win because of our talent - Kemba, Oriakhi, Bazz, Boat, etc - all four stars or higher. Our team isn't winning this year because we're just not as talented as we usually are, and the recruiting class this year is, at best, a wash in terms of what we're losing (Adams hopefully steps in for Boat). Troublesome

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I think Adams will be a stud, but he's the kind of "local" recruit we should be reeling in yearly anyways.

I'll never stop being opposed to this sentiment. There are no "gimmes" in recruiting -- I don't care if the kid is starring for E.O. Smith or Tolland High. Adams was getting attention from significant nationwide programs and by no means did he not require a significant effort from KO and staff. When it comes to guards we've recruited, Kemba is the only one that comes to mind as being ranked higher. JA is just as great of a get being from MA as he would be if he were from Uzbekistan.

What's more, we often fail to realize one of Ollie's hugest disadvantages on the recruiting trail: his lack of experience. He's going up against coaches who have not only many more years of experience as head honchos, but also honed their craft as assistants for many years previously. And that's what it is -- a craft. Parents can rave and hoot and holler about how nice and genuine Ollie is. But how are his sales tactics? How is his pitch? Are his instincts telling him to close at the right time? So, so much goes into being able to land kids. Simply having ringing endorsements from former teammates and being a good guy doesn't equate to instant success.

Ollie has all of the tools to be a phenomenal recruiter in due time. His classes have improved every year since he's gotten the job. But he will not turn into a god overnight. Whether or not this fanbase has the patience for him to sharpen his tools, I have no idea. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Meyer & Messmer both just picked us for Smith on the crystal ball, joining Corey Evans. They both picked Carter to Marquette, and Hardnett to Murray State as well.

Put as much stock into any of this as you see/feel fit to.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Meyer & Messmer both just picked us for Smith on the crystal ball, joining Corey Evans. They both picked Carter to Marquette, and Hardnett to Murray State as well.

Works for me. Smith is a clear step up from Hardnett IMO.

You don't have to worry about his dribbling, and he's supposed to be a high IQ guy with good floor vision. His videos show he's got much better touch than Hardnett too. Good guy to have on your bench.

Carter is my first choice, but niether would be an absolute game changer at the end of the day.

Recent video:

Junior mixtape:

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score

I, personally, think they are just making guesses and hoping it sticks.

According to Smith's 247 profile, UConn offered him on 12/2/2012. That is back when Calhoun was coaching. That offer is, in all likelihood, still not standing.

To prove my point is this article here, written last month, where Nych Smith himself tells that site that he has offers from 3 schools (Memphis, UMass, and Bradley), as well as having interest from Tennessee and Saint Louis.

I could be wrong, of course, but the 247 guys probably don't have any intel regarding Smith and UConn.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There is a point of diminishing returns. We need an upgrade on TSam & SCJr, especially for ball handling and distributing the ball. We don't need more players that are unlikely to contribute much to the team.
When the talent level looks like TSam & SCJr, why bother? We already have them. My concern is that Hardnet & Smith are in that category.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a point of diminishing returns. We need an upgrade on TSam & SCJr, especially for ball handling and distributing the ball. We don't need more players that are unlikely to contribute much to the team. When the talent level looks like TSam & SCJr, why bother? We already have them. My concern is that Hardnet & Smith are in that category.

I think the fear is that if Adams gets in foul trouble or stubs a toe or, heaven forbid, has a long-term injury, we're out there without a point guard.

It took a lot to get to this point, but that's where they are and they gotta get someone.

Reaction Score
There is a point of diminishing returns. We need an upgrade on TSam & SCJr, especially for ball handling and distributing the ball. We don't need more players that are unlikely to contribute much to the team.
When the talent level looks like TSam & SCJr, why bother? We already have them. My concern is that Hardnet & Smith are in that category.

If they can handle, pass and help against the press, they're better suited than those 2. I mean Sam Jr has a nice handle but seems a little too slow and TSam isn't solid with he ball or passing it as we saw when SMU pressed us. As Fishy said they hopefully recognize one of these kids as potential help in these instances as well as back up to another frosh in Adams.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agree with both of you but there is a level where it is just wasting a scholarship. If they can dribble and pass at a D1 level it is a big improvement. If they are marginal, there is no net gain.

Reaction Score
Sam should lose some weight and get stronger and he can be better. I expect that he will, unless he is a Marcus Williams type. Not that he is out of shape, he's just a step slow and I think that can be drastically improved with some serious conditioning. I have high hopes that he can be a much improved player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom