Nych Smith (Committed to Fordham) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nych Smith (Committed to Fordham)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sam should lose some weight and get stronger and he can be better. I expect that he will, unless he is a Marcus Williams type. Not that he is out of shape, he's just a step slow and I think that can be drastically improved with some serious conditioning. I have high hopes that he can be a much improved player.

Throwing passes off the opposing baskets has nothing to do with conditioning. He's strong and in great shape, big kid and a 2G with no shot. He's an excellent 4th guy, really good because he's okay at everything. But not capable of handling a good press and not capable of starting the offense closer to the basket. The handle and the passing just isn't going to be that much better at this point.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Cassell Jr. was passing pretty well and he doesn't turn it over much at all, but he needs to make his threes because he doesn't finish at the rim like TSam does. That being said, I think he has it in him and can play the 1 for stretches. But he hasn't proven himself or stayed healthy, so it's logical to find a backup for next year.

TSam may not have a refined set of skills, but I wouldn't question his conditioning or strength. He's pretty damn built.

Another PG recruit is just insurance. We need it.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Sam should lose some weight and get stronger and he can be better. I expect that he will, unless he is a Marcus Williams type. Not that he is out of shape, he's just a step slow and I think that can be drastically improved with some serious conditioning. I have high hopes that he can be a much improved player.

Tsam is muscular and conditioned. Hopefully he and Lubin could get Sam Jr.
In the weight room. If Sam jr. had Tsams physique and conditioning he'd play
Better. The skills are there.

Reaction Score
Throwing passes off the opposing baskets has nothing to do with conditioning. He's strong and in great shape, big kid and a 2G with no shot. He's an excellent 4th guy, really good because he's okay at everything. But not capable of handling a good press and not capable of starting the offense closer to the basket. The handle and the passing just isn't going to be that much better at this point.

I think he's talking about Cassell. I'm not sure if it's his body type or what, but he definitely looks like he could stand to drop some lbs, and I doubt it would be a bad thing for his complete lack of foot speed.

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
I think he's talking about Cassell. I'm not sure if it's his body type or what, but he definitely looks like he could stand to drop some lbs, and I doubt it would be a bad thing for his complete lack of foot speed.

Yep. Sam, not TSam. The gym is what Sam Jr needs. He's not where he needs to be physically. Some strength and a leaner physique can bridge the gap. He has skills.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Exactly. For a kid that grew up with a wealthy, beloved NBA player as his dad you would think he'd enter college in better condition.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case.

He's in good shape - not overweight, not out of condition.

Reaction Score
I like Sam jr's game. He just needs to make his shots, but I think he can run the team. He just has the wrong mindset and wants to score and be the man when he isnt. His foot speed is not great but I think with coaching he is a good back up once he learns his role.

Reaction Score
Worth remembering, re: Cassell, that he played most of the season with a leg injury. That killed his lateral quickness and jump shot.

I don't think he's the long-term answer at any spot for us, but he's certainly not the raging dumpster fire he appeared to be for most of the season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When a decent team presses us and Boat (or next year Adams) gets double teamed, we need a guy who can handle the ball w/o turning it over. I thought TSam was that guy. He has not been. Don't see the slow Sam Jr. doing it. Plus his tendency is not to pass.
We can't have 1 player we are comfortable with to handle the press. Especially when the player will be a freshman. Ideally, we would have an upperclassman to help to break Adams in. We don't, so we at least need an outlet for him.

Reaction Score
He is now our No. 1 target for the backup PG position for next year? Some sites have Carter and Smith with the same grades (both 3 star players).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Carter is 4 stars on ESPN, Rivals, and TOS. If he ends up committing to Marquette, then I think attention will turn to Smith, who has 3 stars from each site. Hardnett has 3 from each as well, but Smith has a more palatable list of offers.

Reaction Score
Smith seems like he has a variety of skills but his jump shot isn't as pretty as Carter's. Regardless, it looks like he shoots pretty effectively. He does seem like more of a point guard whereas Carter looks great on video but I notice a ton of 3 pointer highlights but less impressive displays of ball handling. Really not sure who would be better for us.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's good opportunistic recruiting on Fordham's part.

It's not completely certain that both kids will become eligible - if they get one, great. If they get two, even better.

If neither of them make it, they didn't lose anything.

Reaction Score
Was this our last open undergraduate offer? (Other than Mack, but that doesn't count)

Reaction Score
Not shocked Smith went to a school where he can be the man as a sophomore after Mandell Thomas, their leading assist man and second leading scorer, graduates after this upcoming season. Their second leading assist guy graduated too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom