NY Yankees 2019 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The Yankee starters, when bad, are often bad early and then settle. Not a great playoff formula against teams that hit as well as they do and have better or more consistent starters. A great pen is okay when you have the lead They really should have gone after a front line guy this season. Obviously they thought Paxton fit the bill and that Severino would be there. If not for German who is usually a solid 5 inning starter, they would not have the cushion they have. And Urshela and Tauchmann have been immense, unexpected as opposed to LeMahieu and Torres.

Reaction Score
Yankees just look like a tired team right now the, the dog days of August. When you have starters who dont give you length it will takes its toll eventually on the whole team. I think Paxton is gonna be the key to an October run hes capable of throwing a gem, reminds me a lot of AJ Burnett when hes on hes nearly unhittable, he gets himself into trouble when he has a rough inning throwing 30 plus pitches in the 1st inning, if he cut that out he would easily pitch 6-7 innings every start. Happ is awful and shouldn't be on the playoff roster not even out of the pen, rotation would literally be better without him in it.

Reaction Score
Ryu at 1.62 ERA and they swing the bat like mad, where did that come from? Judge may slowly be getting it back which is a huge key as well as Sanchez.

That Paxton is the one that gives us a shot, without that we're cooked in almost any series I'm afraid. Nice win, get a sweep take the best record back - why not?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ryu at 1.62 ERA and they swing the bat like mad, where did that come from? Judge may slowly be getting it back which is a huge key as well as Sanchez.

That Paxton is the one that gives us a shot, without that we're cooked in almost any series I'm afraid. Nice win, get a sweep take the best record back - why not?
Mau...looks like Sevy is about 10 days away. Can you imagine if he was The Man come playoff time and all of our fears were eased?

Crossing fingers. I have no fear that this team is tired. Oaktown has the Yankees number. And to waltz into Chavez and crush like that...mommy! I think LA is 50-17 there.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not just about the Yankees but baseball generally. With every player and his brother hitting more homers and longer homers than ever this year, all the talk is justifiably about the ball being juiced. But what about the bats. For several recent seasons they were using bats that shattered into daggers when they broke. That doesn’t seem to be happening this year. Are the bats different, less brittle? In golf it’s taken a combo of the ball and the clubs to produce more distance. Maybe the same for MLB.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'This team will not win the east they are tremendously awful right now. This will be an epic collapse just short of the 14 1/2 gam lead of the Sox in 78.' said someone here...
how we doing?
BRONX BOMBERS: Yankees batters hit 3HR on Sun. at Los Angeles-NL, setting a new Major League record for home runs in a calendar month, with 61HR in 25G in August… broke the previous record of 58HR, set by Baltimore in May 1987 (28G) and Seattle in May 1999 (27G)… surpassed the previous club record of 54HR, done twice, in August 1998 (32G) and July 1940 (29G)… the next-most in the Majors this month is 45HR, by Houston and Toronto.
I guess ol' 'broken armed masa' pitches tonite. doomed. lol.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Must. be something wrong with Yankee training program. Way too many muscle injuries.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Severino's start tonight. The good news is that he only needs to be stretched out to 70-80 pitches as Boone would likely go to bullpen after four or five innings. Could be a real difference maker in the playoffs to add him to the starting rotation.

Reaction Score

ooooof

This obviously hurts as a Yankee fan as Betances was another potential power arm in the bullpen for the playoffs. But you really wonder how many high leverage situations he was going to be used in as I don't see him pitching in front of Green or Kahnle, let alone Britton or Ottavino. That said, you've got to feel sorry for Betances who worked so hard to come back in time to help the team, only to have it taken away after a couple of batters. Add in the fact that it's his free agent year and it makes it that much worse. Hope he can avoid surgery.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'one of the oddest things of this life is the inability of many to enjoy the 'good thing' while it's happening. 'good thing' being a product of reasonable judgement. it's mid august, and the bombers are like 80-40. last year, they won 100 games. seems consistent, no? some time ago, bullpens became a 'thing' and now we have 'openers' as a regular strategy. the yankees have had a dominant pen for years, and absolutely not one other team wants to pitch to our line-up with most of our assassins in there. if fully healthy, then I can't recall a similar offense ever. if we win the series, the historical record will simply say 'of course.'
arms, legs, feet, who cares? chicken little is just another way of saying 'more KFC, please. extra crispy.'
august 13, 2019.
savages!
ol' 'broken armed masa just held the mlb record home run twins to 1 run as the yanks take a 2-0 lead in the alds. enjoy the ride, it's a good great one.

Reaction Score
It will not happen; but, woudl the Yanks consider a sign & trade for Betts and say an addtional mid-level prospect with ethe Red Sox for Stanton (I belevee he has a no-trade clause), Hicks (same on the no-trade front) and Fraizer for him? That would give a Yankees an outfield of Maybin in LF, Betts in CF, and Judge in RF and culls sone of the logjam in the outfield. Just a crazy thought...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It will not happen; but, woudl the Yanks consider a sign & trade for Betts and say an addtional mid-level prospect with ethe Red Sox for Stanton (I belevee he has a no-trade clause), Hicks (same on the no-trade front) and Fraizer for him? That would give a Yankees an outfield of Maybin in LF, Betts in CF, and Judge in RF and culls sone of the logjam in the outfield. Just a crazy thought...

If the Sox trade Betts they will be cutting a huge portion of that salary. Not adding salary.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yanks aren't moving Stanton anywhere, anytime soon. his alds obp is 50% so far.

Reaction Score
If the Sox trade Betts they will be cutting a huge portion of that salary. Not adding salary.

I believe Betts' current contract (arbitration) is for roughly $20 Million per year and that contract expires after the 2020 season. He'll likely get Trout/Harper/Mancado salary numbers when he hits free agency, i.e. +$30 Million per year.

Henry, the Red Sox owner, has advised that 1) the Red Sox want to get below the MLB luxury tax number for 2020 (projected to be $208 Million in 2020 whereas it was $206 Million for 2019 and the Sox [one of 2 teams above the threshold, the other being the nationals] were at $238 Million [via ESPN]). he has already admitted that re-signing both Betts and JD Martinez (will likely opt for free agency 2020) will be very difficult.

Excluding Martinez's 2020 salary of $23.75 Million due to above noted pending free agency, the Sox already have $112 Million committed to just 5 players - Price, Sale, Bogaerts, Pedoria (ouch), and Evoldi. Subtract Pedroia's $13 Million if he retires (likely) and add in say $23.5 Million for another Bett's arbitration year plus $10 Million for an actual closer (desperation) and the Sox look to have $132.5 Million committed to 6 players. So, under a hypothetical 'blank slate roster beyond those 6, the Sox have to spend less than $2.15 Million on average for the remaining 35 active roster slots on the 40-man roster in 2020. Good luck! Plus, their farm system was trashed to win the title last year.

Thus, the talk that the Sox may trade Betts to A) avoid his 2021 +$30 million salary hit and B) he should yield more prospects for the farm system with 1 more year under arbitration than Martinez who can (will) hit free agency in 2020.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I believe Betts' current contract (arbitration) is for roughly $20 Million per year and that contract expires after the 2020 season. He'll likely get Trout/Harper/Mancado salary numbers when he hits free agency, i.e. +$30 Million per year.

Henry, the Red Sox owner, has advised that 1) the Red Sox want to get below the MLB luxury tax number for 2020 (projected to be $208 Million in 2020 whereas it was $206 Million for 2019 and the Sox [one of 2 teams above the threshold, the other being the nationals] were at $238 Million [via ESPN]). he has already admitted that re-signing both Betts and JD Martinez (will likely opt for free agency 2020) will be very difficult.

Excluding Martinez's 2020 salary of $23.75 Million due to above noted pending free agency, the Sox already have $112 Million committed to just 5 players - Price, Sale, Bogaerts, Pedoria (ouch), and Evoldi. Subtract Pedroia's $13 Million if he retires (likely) and add in say $23.5 Million for another Bett's arbitration year plus $10 Million for an actual closer (desperation) and the Sox look to have $132.5 Million committed to 6 players. So, under a hypothetical 'blank slate roster beyond those 6, the Sox have to spend less than $2.15 Million on average for the remaining 35 active roster slots on the 40-man roster in 2020. Good luck! Plus, their farm system was trashed to win the title last year.

Thus, the talk that the Sox may trade Betts to A) avoid his 2021 +$30 million salary hit and B) he should yield more prospects for the farm system with 1 more year under arbitration than Martinez who can (will) hit free agency in 2020.

Yes. Which is exactly why if they trade him it will he to cut salary, not take on other expensive veterans

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hitting, starting and relief pitching, defense, and management -- a perfect series. sanchez is a boss, and he nary had a hit. savages!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's happening!!!

1570535190509.png

That play by Didi...just wow!!

Reaction Score
I do like how the Yanks won last night's game without an avalanche of long-balls. They won with smart baseball. I'm hoping that the Rays win tonight and push that series to a Game 5 to help wear down the Astros' starters a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do like hwo the Yanks won last night's game without an avalanche of long-balls. They won with smart baseball. I'm hoping that the Rays win tonight and push that series to a Game 5 to help wear down the Astros' starters a bit.
Even if TB loses tonight, at least it takes Verlander out of consideration to start Game 1 of the ALCS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom