NY Yankees 2019 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I mistakenly recorded the first game of yesterday's double header with the Met's feed instead of the Yankees' feed. I must say that the Mets' broadcast team is really good. They not only had good rapport with each other, but they mixed in quite a bit of knowledge about the game to go along with their anecdotes. I have tons of goodwill for Paul O'Neill and David Cone, but I don't find them to be particularly riveting as color guys. I think Michael Kay is OK, but I have never found him to be a very likable character. The Yankees' crew isn't terrible, but the Mets' crew shows that the Yanks have room for improvement.

The Mets broadcast crew is outstanding. Definitely my favorite of the local 3 and one of my favorites across all of baseball (I have MLB TV).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is it Cashman or the Steinbrenner kids imitating daddy George? Stockpiling guys like Encarnacion and optioning Frazier, a key to the success this year, while starting pitching is as shallow as a kiddie pool. If they don’t have a trade for a top pitcher up theirs sleeves, Encarnacion makes no sense with Judge and Stanton about to return.

Reaction Score
Is it Cashman or the Steinbrenner kids imitating daddy George? Stockpiling guys like Encarnacion and optioning Frazier, a key to the success this year, while starting pitching is as shallow as a kiddie pool. If they don’t have a trade for a top pitcher up theirs sleeves, Encarnacion makes no sense with Judge and Stanton about to return.

Completely agree. Unless there is something wrong about Fraizer physically or mentally, I do not get this trading for Encarnacion and demoting Fraizer (again). A that a team can win by simply out slugging another team is not a good strategy. Championship teams win with good pitching and offenses that can score in a variety of ways. I can't remeber the game; but the Yank announcers were ripped when the team was tied with a runner with speed (Maybin?) on 3rd and 1 out and the batter (Viot) was swining for the fences. They are addicted to the big hit (or K) and have forgotten some Baseball 101, such as bunting. To be fair, a lot of today's MLB teams are the same.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think they have analytics thay say swinging for the fences is better than small ball.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think they have analytics thay say swinging for the fences is better than small ball.
Which is what the opposition is doing to their starters.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Unless there is something wrong about Fraizer physically or mentally, I do not get this trading for Encarnacion and demoting Fraizer (again). A that a team can win by simply out slugging another team is not a good strategy. Championship teams win with good pitching and offenses that can score in a variety of ways. I can't remeber the game; but the Yank announcers were ripped when the team was tied with a runner with speed (Maybin?) on 3rd and 1 out and the batter (Viot) was swining for the fences. They are addicted to the big hit (or K) and have forgotten some Baseball 101, such as bunting. To be fair, a lot of today's MLB teams are the same.
Isn’t bunting using things like flags from the top of buildings as decoration? Yeah, bunting is for sissies. Mickey Mantje was a great bunter, but 65 years ago (holy crap) is ancient history.

Reaction Score

That's what I have heard. But, with a player who knows how to bunt, I would assume the % chance of the player laying down a good 1st Base side bunt to score the run has to be higher than hitting a home-run on any given pitch. But, of course, its effective baseball, not exciting. MLB wants exciting.

I know high school players bunt a lot in such situations; but, do college teams?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Most of the runs scored the past 3 post seasons came on extra base hits.

That said, defense is also vitaly important.

But Stanton hasn’t been a bad of historically.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the Encarnacion acquisition had more to do with blocking a potential move to Tampa than it was to address a team need. The Yanks have done this in the past; acquiring guys away from division competitors.

Reaction Score
I think the Encarnacion acquisition had more to do with blocking a potential move to Tampa than it was to address a team need. The Yanks have done this in the past; acquiring guys away from division competitors.

Possible. The local paper has quoted 'inside' sources that Encarnacion was aquired for insurance purposes as there are concenrs that Judge and/or Stanton may not be able to stay healthy for the entire season. The paper also stated that Frazier was demoted to AAA to keep him playing as they are shopping his bat as part of a package to land Bumgarner (the Twins may now also be in the running for him) or another top-line pitcher.

Reaction Score
Possible. The local paper has quoted 'inside' sources that Encarnacion was aquired for insurance purposes as there are concenrs that Judge and/or Stanton may not be able to stay healthy for the entire season. The paper also stated that Frazier was demoted to AAA to keep him playing as they are shopping his bat as part of a package to land Bumgarner (the Twins may now also be in the running for him) or another top-line pitcher.
I can definitely see this. Stanton and Judge's injuries are "retweakable" and I can see one or both having issues throughout the year. Encarnacion also seemed like a free player. They didn't give up a lot and didn't even add to their payroll.

I don't know what to think of Frazier. Awesome bat speed, but he looks like someone that should swing more for the gaps than trying to pull everything. His fielding has sucked (at least it did in that one game) and his attitude about it was crap. I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of the trade bait to get that deadline starter. Could they regret it? Maybe, but sometimes you need to take that chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Encarnacion was a steal of a pickup so why not it also means your relying less on Stanton, batting 5th and in front of Encarnacion hes not as much of a rally killer. The defense is noticeably better with no Frazier in RF, Stanton is a way better fielder, having a DH spot tied up to one guy like it was with Andujar and Frazier hurts the team you dont have to be a gold glover to play D but you do have to be serviceable which Frazier is anything but that. I do feel bad for Frazier because he has worked really hard through his past concussion symptoms and learning a new position, but something there just doesn't seem right,he does have that Odell personality just un yankee like, he can definitely help you win a world series but he can also get in the way of winning one too, dont know if you can trust him. Him ducking the media, having his teammate answer questions for him and then not having any accountability just isnt a good look for him, gotta deal him for a top of the line starter.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Yanks now have a 5.5 game leead in the NL East just when they welcome back Stanton and Judge. They are about to sweep a 4-game series against the 'stros, too!!

The Yankees have won 8 in a row.
The 'stros have lost 7 in a row.
The Sox are 8-2 in last 10

Yesterday the red-hot duo of Sanchez and Torres got a night off. Sooooo....Romine and Urshela hit home runs.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Stanton back on IL. Would Mickey Mantle with his horrible knees ever play a game in modern baseball?

Reaction Score
Just read that the temp diamond built over (shipped several tons of clay from PA and dirt from WI) West Ham's football pitch at West London Stadium will be hitter friendly with the corners at 330' and center at 385'. Judge, Sanchez & co. haven't seen those numbers since college. They must be drooling, especially if the juiced 2019 MLB baseball make the trip, too. Pitchers on the other hand may feel like its batting practice. This should be an advantage for the Yanks.

West London.JPG

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just read that the temp diamond built over (shipped several tons of clay from PA and dirt from WI) West Ham's football pitch at West London Stadium will be hitter friendly with the corners at 330' and center at 385'. Judge, Sanchez & co. haven't seen those numbers since college. They must be drooling, especially if the juiced 2019 MLB baseball make the trip, too. Pitchers on the other hand may feel like its batting practice. This should be an advantage for the Yanks.

View attachment 44290
big fun. yanks/sox in London? too cool.

Reaction Score

View attachment 44290
Could go either way. It could help the Sox that have warning track power. Apparently the dark part in center is a 16+ foot wall. It's also the first Yanks Sox game that will be played on turf. I wonder what's better. Watching baseball in a soccer stadium, or soccer in a baseball stadium (NYCFC)?

Reaction Score
Could go either way. It could help the Sox that have warning track power. Apparently the dark part in center is a 16+ foot wall. It's also the first Yanks Sox game that will be played on turf. I wonder what's better. Watching baseball in a soccer stadium, or soccer in a baseball stadium (NYCFC)?

I'm wondering if stadium officials will allow fans to bring beer to their seats for this game. I've been to a few Arsenal matches at Emirates Stadium in London and you can't bring the beer you in the coucourse to your seats, it has to be finished there.

Reaction Score
Stanton back on IL. Would Mickey Mantle with his horrible knees ever play a game in modern baseball?

The flip side is whether modern surgical techniques could have made his great career even greater.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The flip side is whether modern surgical techniques could have made his great career even greater.
Possibly. But with all the modern training programs and understanding of orthopedics, we are seeing a lot of players going on the IL for things that wouldn’t have not all that many years go. Of course, maybe playing through some of those injuries shortened some careers. The players are paid so much now that they are viewed as investments to be protected. I’m not saying don’t be concerned for the players’ health, but the average players in Mantle’s day played with some of the muscle related injuries that sideline a player today. Kind of counterintuitive. The more you are paid the more you are babied.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Possibly. But with all the modern training programs and understanding of orthopedics, we are seeing a lot of players going on the IL for things that wouldn’t have not all that many years go. Of course, maybe playing through some of those injuries shortened some careers. The players are paid so much now that they are viewed as investments to be protected. I’m not saying don’t be concerned for the players’ health, but the average players in Mantle’s day played with some of the muscle related injuries that sideline a player today. Kind of counterintuitive. The more you are paid the more you are babied.
amphetamines and alcohol. pretty amazing what you can do when you're 'not yourself' or in your 'right mind.' cf. "lawrence taylor on coke"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
amphetamines and alcohol. pretty amazing what you can do when you're 'not yourself' or in your 'right mind.' cf. "lawrence taylor on coke"
I’m no expert, but I’m guessing that most major leaguers wouldn’t hit major league pitching in a. haze. Football is a whole other thing. A linebacker playing with broken hand in weaponized hard cast is just an added tool.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’m no expert, but I’m guessing that most major leaguers wouldn’t hit major league pitching in a. haze. Football is a whole other thing. A linebacker playing with broken hand in weaponized hard cast is just an added tool.
sorry friend, but im guessing you haven't experienced putting 50 points up after having a puff pregame. or two hr's in a game when you almost never hit any. let's be clear here. drugs, both legal and illegal, are bad for you, mostly because that artificial input is unsustainable, along with messing up your biochemistry. having said that, wes mathews (a pretty good guy and father of wm2, currently in nba) landed a solo spot on the cover of Sports Illustrated way back. something about 'fastest baller in america.' hmmm.
my point about athlete's way back was that drugs were one reason why they seemed to overcome many injuries. and, guess what? often they were right that the injury was not that big of a deal. again, not a good way to live methinks, just a point about 'what is', and not 'what should be.' on the other hand, soon will be the day when some opeepo will rejoice the day when cannabis is kosher, due to eating and sleeping better in the electronically overstimulated and too fast paced world of now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
sorry friend, but im guessing you haven't experienced putting 50 points up after having a puff pregame. or two hr's in a game when you almost never hit any. let's be clear here. drugs, both legal and illegal, are bad for you, mostly because that artificial input is unsustainable, along with messing up your biochemistry. having said that, wes mathews (a pretty good guy and father of wm2, currently in nba) landed a solo spot on the cover of Sports Illustrated way back. something about 'fastest baller in america.' hmmm.
my point about athlete's way back was that drugs were one reason why they seemed to overcome many injuries. and, guess what? often they were right that the injury was not that big of a deal. again, not a good way to live methinks, just a point about 'what is', and not 'what should be.' on the other hand, soon will be the day when some opeepo will rejoice the day when cannabis is kosher, due to eating and sleeping better in the electronically overstimulated and too fast paced world of now.
No problem with weed.

Did you hit two hr in a game against a 95 mph fastball or a good 89mph slider when you were loaded enough to ignore an injury? There were ML pitchers who went out there drunk, but it had nothing to do with killing pain. And they weren’t known for their control.

There are definitely hoopsters who can play a bit high, no pun intended Hitting a stationary target is a little easier than hitting a good major league pitch. I think we were talking about more than just getting a buzz on. It was drugging or drinking to reduce the effect of an injury.

Do you think modern baseball players are put on the IL too readily for certain levels of muscle injuries? Seems like a little discomfort does the trick. A little buzz might be the solution for them.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
listen bro. I think our whole society is oversensitive and childish when it comes to injury, pain, and sickness. last time I checked, they are fairly common experiences, especially as we age. as far as athletes go, im a big fan of getting back on the horse sooner rather than later, which is finally dawning on the medical community. pain? grandma's adage for her kids resonates today 'it hurtz? rent a car! (hertz)' no one can tell anyone about what hurts, as pain is totally a personal reality, but we can say 'relax, it will probably get better.' cuz it usually does. use it or lose it, take two aspirin or ibuprophen, and call in the a.m. gotta roll now, broken parts and all. lol.
(ps. it was a massive fail by medical bozo's to tell KD it was ok to play, given the nature of his then current injury. epic insanity. as a big fan of him, I was astounded anyone 'cleared' him to play. the risk was too great, and here we are. disgusting.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom