NY Yankees 2019 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
Is Andujar being Wally Pipp'd?

Assuming Andujar can shake-off the rust at the plate, he's still going to struggle to find playing time on this team as he defense is atrocious while Urshela has a simply played better than him with the glove at 3rd and at the plate right now (a game-tying 2-run HR to deep center last night only emphasized this). At the the start of the season, I thought if Adujar struggled defensively at the hot corner, he would have a shot playing 1st, especially now with Bird seemingly on his way out of the Bronx (on a stretcher); but, Voit seems to have locked down that slot by proving his numbers (so far) from the end of last season were not a fluke. That really leaves DH as the only slot open for Adujar is Dan Hurley and the Yanks tend to use that roll to rest their big guns - Judge, Staton, and Sanchez.

Once everyone (hopefully) is healthy after the All-Star break, this is what I believe the Yank's line-up may look like:

1) LeMahieu 2B
2) Hicks CF
3) Judge RF
4) Stanton D H
5) Sanchez C
6) Voit 1B
7) Urshela 3B
8) Torres SS
9) Fraizer LF

That's a solid line-up with power in the middle and speed at the top and bottom. No easy outs as everyone has proven to be able to hit .260 or better. It's also less HR reliant than last year's team. I bumped Judge down to #3 to break-up the Yanks right dominant line-up with Hick's left (switch) bat.

On the bench, Maybin becomes the primary outfield substitute with Gardner (sadly) reduced to an in-game defensive replacement. Estrada would be the primary infield substitute with Wade as the in-game defensive replacement and/or speed base runner. Romine continues to be the back-up Catcher.

Thus, where does Adujar go? Train him to be a back-up 1st Baseman and fill-in DH when one of the Big 3 aren't using it? Or, assuming his shoulder is truly OK, can the Yanks use him as trade bait to land another starter as they will need a big arm, espeically in the playoffs. I am almost tempted to think that Didi could also be traded for the same once he comes off of IR.

Reaction Score
Assuming Andujar can shake-off the rust at the plate, he's still going to struggle to find playing time on this team as he defense is atrocious while Urshela has a simply played better than him with the glove at 3rd and at the plate right now (a game-tying 2-run HR to deep center last night only emphasized this). At the the start of the season, I thought if Adujar struggled defensively at the hot corner, he would have a shot playing 1st, especially now with Bird seemingly on his way out of the Bronx (on a stretcher); but, Voit seems to have locked down that slot by proving his numbers (so far) from the end of last season were not a fluke. That really leaves Dan Hurley as the only slot open for Adujar is Dan Hurley and the Yanks tend to use that roll to rest their big guns - Judge, Staton, and Sanchez.

Once everyone (hopefully) is healthy after the All-Star break, this is what I believe the Yank's line-up may look like:

1) LeMahieu 2B
2) Hicks CF
3) Judge RF
4) Stanton D H
5) Sanchez C
6) Voit 1B
7) Urshela 3B
8) Torres SS
9) Fraizer LF

That's a solid line-up with power in the middle and speed at the top and bottom. No easy outs as everyone has proven to be able to hit .260 or better. It's also less HR reliant than last year's team. I bumped Judge down to #3 to break-up the Yanks right dominant line-up with Hick's left (switch) bat.

On the bench, Maybin becomes the primary outfield substitute with Gardner (sadly) reduced to an in-game defensive replacement. Estrada would be the primary infield substitute with Wade as the in-game defensive replacement and/or speed base runner. Romine continues to be the back-up Catcher.

Thus, where does Adujar go? Train him to be a back-up 1st Baseman and fill-in Dan Hurley when one of the Big 3 aren't using it? Or, assuming his shoulder is truly OK, can the Yanks use him as trade bait to land another starter as they will need a big arm, espeically in the playoffs. I am almost tempted to think that Didi could also be traded for the same once he comes off of IR.

I never liked Judge batting 2nd as a rookie it was fine but not long term. I think with Andujar right now you play it by air, continue to have him DH or PH, with no Judge or Stanton for now. On days Urshela needs off you could have Estrada play 3B. DJ can play 1B on days Voit needs off and Estrada could play 2B. Gardner sticks around because he is always healthy (knock on wood), Hicks and Frazier are injury prone. Frazier does need to work on the fundamentals like fielding and base running (thats how he got hurt). Frazier does play reckless I love effort but you do have to be able to stay on the field. Can use the DH slot between Andujar, Voit, DJ, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez and Frazier.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I never liked Judge batting 2nd as a rookie it was fine but not long term. I think with Andujar right now you play it by air, continue to have him Dan Hurley or PH, with no Judge or Stanton for now. On days Urshela needs off you could have Estrada play 3B. DJ can play 1B on days Voit needs off and Estrada could play 2B. Gardner sticks around because he is always healthy (knock on wood), Hicks and Frazier are injury prone. Frazier does need to work on the fundamentals like fielding and base running (thats how he got hurt). Frazier does play reckless I love effort but you do have to be able to stay on the field. Can use the Dan Hurley slot between Andujar, Voit, DJ, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez and Frazier.

Statistically it’s most efficient to bat your best hitter second.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise, my only hope is that Judge, Stanton, and Severino don't follow Andujar down the same path...

Credit to German, Frazier, and Urshela really stepping-up while a lot of guys have been rotating through the trainer's room.

While looking-up German's numbers, I did catch this article, too. This could be why the Yanks don't seem to be in a hurry to trader for rentable starting pitching.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can’t see trading a healthy Didi. Great fielder and a lefty. I’d prefer LeMahieu being a more or less rotating infielder to rest the others once a week. Andujar is the bigger question mark. I hate to trade a good bat like his at such a young age unless you get a very high quality starting pitcher. Yankees seem to be stacked with designated hitter types. Is Bird part of any future and/or what is his trade value?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a surprise, my only hope is that Judge, Stanton, and Severino don't follow Andujar down the same path...

Credit to German, Frazier, and Urshela really stepping-up while a lot of guys have been rotating through the trainer's room.

While looking-up German's numbers, I did catch this article, too. This could be why the Yanks don't seem to be in a hurry to trader for rentable starting pitching.

I hope to see him against the Yardgoats. The Yankees should just sign Dallas Keuchel once the draft is over June 2nd I believe, you wouldnt lose a draft pick, just go with a 6 man rotation you have to be prepared for Severino not to be back this year, guy is an innings eater and is a ground ball pitcher fits right in with the defense of Urshela, Gleyber, Didi and DJ.

the Q

Reaction Score
I hope to see him against the Yardgoats. The Yankees should just sign Dallas Keuchel once the draft is over June 2nd I believe, you wouldnt lose a draft pick, just go with a 6 man rotation you have to be prepared for Severino not to be back this year, guy is an innings eater and is a ground ball pitcher fits right in with the defense of Urshela, Gleyber, Didi and DJ.

It would take him at least 3ish weeks to really be ready. You’re pushing up against the AS break.

It’s fine, just the reality of it

Reaction Score
yankees are absolutely, positively not trading didi.
He's a free agent after this season, so even if they wanted to, there wouldn't be much point to it. You're not getting squat in return for a half season rental of a player coming off a major injury

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bauer would be a terrific add to the rotation...just not sure the Yanks have the pieces to pull it off without subtracting from the MLB club. I'm going to guess that the Indians would want Frazier back and I'm not sure I'd do that given the Yanks twin tower OFs are suspect to injury. I know Frazier hasn't been a beacon of health either, but he's definitely shown himself to be a future All-Star caliber talent during his opportunity this year.

Down on the farm, Florial hasn't really elevated his stock. Deivi Garcia could be a nice piece to a package but they'd have to add a few more high level pieces to make that work. We all know the Yanks have quite a few high end talents in the lower levels and instructs, but they're waaaay too far away to entice Cleveland.

One more thing: the Yanks have 2 picks in the top 38 in the upcoming draft, thanks to the Sonny Gray trade. That bonus comp pick can be used to replenish what it is needed to acquire a SP like Bauer.

Reaction Score
It would take him at least 3ish weeks to really be ready. You’re pushing up against the AS break.

It’s fine, just the reality of it

That would give him enough time to shave that beard.;)

Reaction Score
Looks like Didi might be the next Yankee back. Assuming they reinsert him at shortstop and move Gleyber back to 2nd base, how do you see the rest of the lineup shaping up? Gio has earned the starting 3B position, but LeMahieu has earned his at-bats as well. Maybe more DJ at 1st base and have Voit as the designated hitter? That might work, at least until Stanton comes off the DL. I suppose these are good problems to have.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Looks like Didi might be the next Yankee back. Assuming they reinsert him at shortstop and move Gleyber back to 2nd base, how do you see the rest of the lineup shaping up? Gio has earned the starting 3B position, but LeMahieu has earned his at-bats as well. Maybe more DJ at 1st base and have Voit as the designated hitter? That might work, at least until Stanton comes off the DL. I suppose these are good problems to have.

Gio is the third baseman for the season with Andujar out.
Didi returns and eventually starts at short with Torres moving to second. Didi can also DH.
Voit stays at first with LeMahieu as back up, DH, or second base. Voit can also DH. Don't know if LeMahieu has any experience at 1st.
Morales will most likely be released or traded in a package deal for a pitcher.
Estrada will probably go back to the minors or be part of a trade deal.
I think Severino is done for the season.
Not sure Betances returns either.
Log jam in the outfield. Frazier isn't going anywhere, nor is Hicks. Stanton's return and Judge's return are uncertain. The odd man out would be Maybin if both come back healthy.
Tulowitski will be a part-timer.
Greg Bird may also be part of a trade deal. I know is fielding is better than Voit but he can't stay healthy.

All in all, the Yankees are in a better position than most teams.

the Q

Reaction Score
Gio is the third baseman for the season with Andujar out.
Didi returns and eventually starts at short with Torres moving to second. Didi can also Dan Hurley.
Voit stays at first with LeMahieu as back up, Dan Hurley, or second base. Voit can also Dan Hurley. Don't know if LeMahieu has any experience at 1st.
Morales will most likely be released or traded in a package deal for a pitcher.
Estrada will probably go back to the minors or be part of a trade deal.
I think Severino is done for the season.
Not sure Betances returns either.
Log jam in the outfield. Frazier isn't going anywhere, nor is Hicks. Stanton's return and Judge's return are uncertain. The odd man out would be Maybin if both come back healthy.
Tulowitski will be a part-timer.
Greg Bird may also be part of a trade deal. I know is fielding is better than Voit but he can't stay healthy.

All in all, the Yankees are in a better position than most teams.

Urshela’s nunbers are heavily BaBip inflated.

DJL will be at worst getting a time share there soon enough.

Reaction Score

I think the Yanks will take it easy with Didi for the entire season once he is back, so I see a lot of Dan Hurley for him this season once he rejoins the team within the next 2 weeks. I see LeMahieu filling in for SS/2nd when Didi is resting. He's also insurance in case Urshela runs out of gas. The Bombers need Torres' bat, so he moves to 2nd, though may see time at SS when Didi rests, depending whose glove Boone prefers where. Voit is at 1st. The question is who fills in for him when he needs rest? Morales? Can LeMahieu or even Stanton, assuming the later returns, play 1st on a substitute basis?

In the outfield, it's going to be a mess for playing time. That said, I also suspect in light of all of the recent injuries, a 4th Outfielder, which I believe should be Frazier based on what he has to offer, especially getting on base to help create runs when the big bats arise, should be that guy. Gardner, who numbers are way down; but still has a solid glove and has earned this last season in the Bronx, is the defensive sub. Hicks with his reversible bat, great glove and brand new contract is not going anywhere. That leaves Maybin as the odd man out

Pitching is the big, big concern as CC is going to be a game-by-game starter based on what is left of his knee. I also agree that Severino may not be back this season and if Paxton does make it back, he'll be lucky to make it through the post-season. German, who has been fantastic, likely will struggle with the workload later in the season, similar to what happened with Severino last season. Plus, he's an unknown in the post-season. The bullpen looks OK as Green seems to have fixed his stuff and Betances looks to be back by the end of June. The depth there has also allowed Champan more rest than normal, which should help his 31 year-old arm in the post season.

Thus, while some may think I am insane for suggesting such, which I agree is open to debate, the Yanks can draw from their overload in the bullpen and outfield to land a long-term #1/#2 starter pitcher by packaging Stanton, who contract is huge; but, not as big as the recent Harper and Machado deals, and Betances to a team that needs a power bat and a closer. Maybe a team like the Nats, White Sox or Braves who lost out on the big bats over the winter. Just my 2 cents...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Well, they missed out on Keuchel which is a shame because I really wanted to see his face without a beard. Now it's on to the trade market. There are several bad teams who could use a bat like Clint Frazier's who have pitching to spare. And if the Yanks are willing to include Andujar, then I think the shopping list gets all the better.

Frazier and TBD for MadBum makes alot of sense for both clubs. And if the Mets/Yanks could ever come together on a deal, Frazier and TBD for Thor also makes some sense for both teams, although we all know that will never happen. Maybe Washington is willing to part with Strasburg or, dare I dream, Scherzer. Frazier might not be as valuable to them as they obviously already have Soto and Robles. But Andujar would be very valuable if they can't re-sign Rendon this winter. Another team/pitcher who I think is "Frazier worthy" is Cleveland and Trevor Bauer. The Indians desperately need an OF.

I don't buy into any of the Texas/Miami pitchers currently performing way over their heads. Not for Frazier anyway. And I wouldn't trade Frazier to bring in Greinke's contract. I'd rather the Yanks stay relatively liquid so they can pursue G Cole or another SP this winter.

But if we know Brian Cashman, he will likely trade a tin can for some 5th SP arm who will come in and perform quite well before deciding to make any kind of big moves that involve Frazier/Andujar/top prospects.

Reaction Score
While I hate to give up prospects for a rental like MadBum, I think Cashman is going to need to figure out what to do with all the assets he has right now. Even if they push Gardner out next year, you still have an outfield with Judge, Hicks & Stanton. Is Frazier willing to be a fourth outfielder? Andujar was brilliant last year, but how do you sit Gio after seeing what he can do with the glove and the bat? I suppose these are good problems to have and we've seen how depth has saved the Yankees this season, but I don't know if those guys will be satisfied with significantly lesser roles next year.

Reaction Score
What's Scherzers contract situation? That's my guy - take him in a split second. Hope thats what they are waiting for but in the meantime a losing streak is on the horizon that staff is a mess and the pen is already tired.

the Q

Reaction Score
What's Scherzers contract situation? That's my guy - take him in a split second. Hope thats what they are waiting for but in the meantime a losing streak is on the horizon that staff is a mess and the pen is already tired.

Very weird contract. Extremely backloaded with deferred money. But it still costs for luxury tax purposes.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Scherzer might be too much for the Yankees from a trade value standpoint. Would definitely have to deal Frazier and Andujar...then throw in 3-5 top 30ish prospects to boot. He's dominating and the face of the franchise. Trading him after losing Harper would be tough for ownership to justify to that fanbase which already isn't all that great to begin with. Definitely should kick the tires though!

I am completely fine with trading "less" by targeting MadBum. No, he's not the same pitcher as he was a few years ago from the mileage he has on his arm. But industry said the same thing about Verlander and now look at him. Yanks and Astros are two of the most analytic driven franchises in the game. If any team other than Houston can unlock vintage MadBum, I'd bet on the Yankees. Plus, man oh man, that postseason pedigree is so goddam tantalizing.

the Q

Reaction Score
Scherzer might be too much for the Yankees from a trade value standpoint. Would definitely have to deal Frazier and Andujar...then throw in 3-5 top 30ish prospects to boot. He's dominating and the face of the franchise. Trading him after losing Harper would be tough for ownership to justify to that fanbase which already isn't all that great to begin with. Definitely should kick the tires though!

I am completely fine with trading "less" by targeting MadBum. No, he's not the same pitcher as he was a few years ago from the mileage he has on his arm. But industry said the same thing about Verlander and now look at him. Yanks and Astros are two of the most analytic driven franchises in the game. If any team other than Houston can unlock vintage MadBum, I'd bet on the Yankees. Plus, man oh man, that postseason pedigree is so goddam tantalizing.

Frazier for sure. Doubtful on Andujar.

You can withstand dealing one of Frazier or Florial. But it’s gonna take another few arms too.

Garcia for sure.

Reaction Score
Well, they missed out on Keuchel which is a shame because I really wanted to see his face without a beard. Now it's on to the trade market. There are several bad teams who could use a bat like Clint Frazier's who have pitching to spare.

My primary concern trading a guy like Frazier, and yes I know he has defensive issues, is that he and a lot of the new guys this season get on base versus a HR or K. I can't find the state; but, I vaguely recall seeing that 60% of Yankee runs were pushed in via the long ball. That made the team very vulnerable to a cold strak and/or a lock-down pitching staff, like they saw in the playoffs in 2018. I think the number is sub 40% this year, which does mean they can't hit the bomb; but, its a testmant to their ability to generate runs in a range of ways. Makes them a tough team to beat. Fraizer, LeMahieu, and Urshela have been those bats.

the Q

Reaction Score
My primary concern trading a guy like Frazier, and yes I know he has defensive issues, is that he and a lot of the new guys this season get on base versus a HR or K. I can't find the state; but, I vaguely recall seeing that 60% of Yankee runs were pushed in via the long ball. That made the team very vulnerable to a cold strak and/or a lock-down pitching staff, like they saw in the playoffs in 2018. I think the number is sub 40% this year, which does mean they can't hit the bomb; but, its a testmant to their ability to generate runs in a range of ways. Makes them a tough team to beat. Fraizer, LeMahieu, and Urshela have been those bats.

I’m the playoffs extra base hits win baseball games. I subscribe to joe Sheehan’s newsletter and he broke it down the last few postseasons.

Reaction Score
I mistakenly recorded the first game of yesterday's double header with the Met's feed instead of the Yankees' feed. I must say that the Mets' broadcast team is really good. They not only had good rapport with each other, but they mixed in quite a bit of knowledge about the game to go along with their anecdotes. I have tons of goodwill for Paul O'Neill and David Cone, but I don't find them to be particularly riveting as color guys. I think Michael Kay is OK, but I have never found him to be a very likable character. The Yankees' crew isn't terrible, but the Mets' crew shows that the Yanks have room for improvement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom