NY Yankees 2019 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
I’d let betances walk.

Yanks have abused him. Soaked up all his best years.

Find the next Robertson or Chad green to replace him.

Not sure I agree. Betances seemed to have figured it out towards the end of last season and was pitching at a high All-star level. Not sure how much more contact he has, but the one I'd let go is Chapman. Scares me how much he's started to rely on his slider as opposed to the overwhelming heat, which is frankly, not so overwhelming these days.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just before his first start of the Spring. And remember last season's 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Just before his first start of the Spring. And remember last season's 2nd half.

That's scary. He's the reason I believe we needed another starter would love for Dallas or Gio to be added for depth anyway. But the way he finished concerns the hell out of me and while I do believe tipping pitches was part of it, it wasn't all of it because his ball wasn't moving like the 1st half, add the so many less swings and misses. This may be a lot more than a quick couple weeks off I'm afraid. Hope not.

Reaction Score
That's scary. He's the reason I believe we needed another starter would love for Dallas or Gio to be added for depth anyway. But the way he finished concerns the hell out of me and while I do believe tipping pitches was part of it, it wasn't all of it because his ball wasn't moving like the 1st half, add the so many less swings and misses. This may be a lot more than a quick couple weeks off I'm afraid. Hope not.

I am concered, too. Will the Yanks do any last minute shopping to add a veteran hurler?

Reaction Score
I am concered, too. Will the Yanks do any last minute shopping to add a veteran hurler?

I think their next moves will tell us everything we need to know about the severity of Severino's injury. This regime is not as quick to make the panic moves as they used to be. I'm guessing we'll see Loisiga or German step up. If we see them chasing Keuchel, then we may need to start worrying about Severino.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Heading they like Gio and were still in touch prior anyway. Price just went up I’m guessing if there’s real interest.

Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think either Gio or Keuchel are a good fit in new Yankee. Both are contact pitchers who rely on GB rate to get outs. Andujar is already on the left side of the diamond and Didi is out for at least half the season. Needless to say, left-side INF defense is not as good as it is in Washington or Houston. Worse yet, if either guy's breaking stuff is off and they leave pitches hanging, those pitches will get murdered into the retired numbers back wall.

My guess is that they'll see how spring plays out first. Perhaps add a veteran on a cheap 1-year deal. But it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give Loasiga some SP5 innings in April/May to see what he has. Get Severino's shoulder back to 100% with some rest and maybe even bullpen a game or two.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Luis Severino is out all of April
CC is out mid to late April.
Aaron Hicks will miss time, too.

Reaction Score
Luis Severino is out all of April
CC is out mid to late April.
Aaron Hicks will miss time, too.

Better now then later (knock on wood). Severino is the one that worries me hopefully he only misses a month, CC might as well make his season debut in June given his age. Gonna be some very tough decisions to make have a feeling Bird and Voit both make the opening day roster, and Tyler Wade makes the roster as well. Can live with German and/or Cessa in the rotation for a month.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Have you not moved on from Luis Cessa? That guy blows as a starter. German first then Loiasiga (sp?).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Apparently Cessa has been the best of the three guy who might fill the two open spots. He is out of options and has a confidence that is helping.

Reaction Score
There's talk that the Yanks have made an offer to Gio, which makes me very concerned about Severino (less so about CC as the 5th starter roll can be adequately filled by Cessa, German, etc.)

MLB rumors: Yankees make offer to Gio Gonzalez?

It also looks like with Hick's injury that both Bird and Voit, who are doing well in Spring Training, will stick with the big team and so will Wade as the jack-of-all-trades fill-in. Fraizer will be send to the minors to get more reps in light that he missed nearly all of 2018. Another concern is Sanchez as his defense looks better; but, he's still struggling at bat.

What we learned about Yankees heading into final week of spring training | Clint Frazier vs. Tyler Wade?

Losing Florial is a broker wrist is tough, too, as he has had a very good spring.

Yankees, Estevan Florial react to fractured wrist

In 2 years, I still think the Yank's outfield will be Fraizer in LF, Florial in CF, and Judge in RF with Staton as primarily the DH and Hicks will be traded.

Reaction Score
Great battle going on between Bird and Voit to be the everyday first baseman. Great to see both guys stepping up to accept the challenge. I'm partial to Bird as he's the better fielder and his lefty bat breaks up the righty-heavy lineup better, but Voit is proving that last season was not a fluke.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yanks closed the deal with Gio Gonzalez. Minor league contract. If Gio makes the team he will be paid $3 million. Gio can opt out of the contract if he doesn't make the big club by April 20.

Reaction Score
Add another to the DL as it looks like Betances loss of velocity was not just off-season rust. Bad omen to the start of the season; but, I rather this happen now and not later in the season. Thank heaven for a deep roster.

Yankees drop Dellin Betances injury stunner | What it means

In light of Harper's and Trout's new contracts, also talk about the need for the Yanks to hammer out a new contract with Judge now...

MLB rumors: Angels’ Mike Trout’s record deal means Yankees need to pay Aaron Judge ... now | How much and for how long?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Add another to the DL as it looks like Betances loss of velocity was not just off-season rust. Bad omen to the start of the season; but, I rather this happen now and not later in the season. Thank heaven for a deep roster.

Yankees drop Dellin Betances injury stunner | What it means

In light of Harper's and Trout's new contracts, also talk about the need for the Yanks to hammer out a new contract with Judge now...

MLB rumors: Angels’ Mike Trout’s record deal means Yankees need to pay Aaron Judge ... now | How much and for how long?

Yup. Look at the Bregman deal. Go up from there

Reaction Score
Was not a big fan of this trade with both the prospect that the Yanks are giving-up and the the guy that we are getting back in return. Naturally, another big concern here is that Hicks' injury is a lot worse than what has been reported.

MLB trade rumors: Yankees, Rockies make deal | What it means

Of course, there was one guy that was even less happy with this trade. Can't fault him for being a tad angry as he busted his but in Spring Training and did everything that was asked of him

Tyler Wade ‘blindsided,’ very upset about being Yankees’ final spring training cut

PS - I am glad that Mazzilli is OK.

Yankees instructor hit in head with batted ball ‘looks a lot worse than he is’

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was not a big fan of this trade with both eth prsoepct that the Yanks are giving-up and the the guy that we are getting back in return. Naturally, my big conerne here is that Hicks' injury is a lot worse than what has been reported.

MLB trade rumors: Yankees, Rockies make deal | What it means

Of course, there was one guy that was even less happy with this trade. Can't fault him for being a tad angry as he busted his but in Spring Training and did everything that was asked of him

Tyler Wade ‘blindsided,’ very upset about being Yankees’ final spring training cut

PS - I am glad that Mazzilli is OK.

Yankees instructor hit in head with batted ball ‘looks a lot worse than he is’

This is a move that has the Yankees analytics team all over it, I get having analytics to a degree the game evolves but to have an analytics team in the tunnel is laughably ridiculous and it really does make Boone look like a puppet.

I feel bad for Tyler Wade he's busted his butt for the team and played different positions, he has every right to be frustrated.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is a move that has the Yankees analytics team all over it, I get having analytics to a degree the game evolves but to have an analytics team in the tunnel is laughably ridiculous and it really does make Boone look like a puppet.

I feel bad for Tyler Wade he's busted his butt for the team and played different positions, he has every right to be frustrated.
I was watching a Rays game last week. They have an analytics guy in the dugout to talk to players and coaches. He was in uniform and was dubbed "Analytics Coach."

Reaction Score
Great opening day win for the Yanks. Granted, it was against a terrible Orioles team, but you need to beat the bad teams. Strong effort from Tanaka and Ottavino lived up to the hype. Judge scored three runs and Homer's from Voit and Bird.

When Hicks returns, they've been saying that either Voit or Bird will be sent down. I wonder if they would consider keeping Stanton in left and playing Voit/Bird at 1B/DH and let Gardner come off the bench.

Reaction Score
Great opening day win for the Yanks. Granted, it was against a terrible Orioles team, but you need to beat the bad teams. Strong effort from Tanaka and Ottavino lived up to the hype. Judge scored three runs and Homer's from Voit and Bird.

When Hicks returns, they've been saying that either Voit or Bird will be sent down. I wonder if they would consider keeping Stanton in left and playing Voit/Bird at 1B/Dan Hurley and let Gardner come off the bench.

I dont understand why Stanton needs to be a full time DH hes fine in left field hes not a fat or old guy who can't run, platoon the DH spot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I dont understand why Stanton needs to be a full time Dan Hurley hes fine in left field hes not a fat or old guy who can't run, platoon the Dan Hurley spot.
This is pretty funny. Apparently the initial-hating moderator has programmed the initials for Designated Hitter to display as Dan Hurley.

Reaction Score
The Yanks at this rate maybe able to form an very competitive team from players on the DL right now.
Andujar's injury could be really devastating (Bird to spend time at 3rd). Not a great start to the season, especially after Chapman blew a save tonight to the Tigers and they are now 2-3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom