NY Yankees 2019 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
Interesting rumor. Not sure about getting Cueto. Doesn't help the pitching until late in the season provided the arm is healthy.

Its good if Cashman is talking ot the Giants. Maybe some one else besides Cueto emerges.

The Yanks may need pitching help (again) in 2020 with CC retiring and Tananka a pitch away from Tommy John himself. At this rate, I would take a just about anything to get rid of Ellsbury.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Have to really be impressed with the level of ineptitude from the Marlins. Joel Sherman made an excellent point - a few months ago, there was talk about a 3-team trade that involved Thor, G Sanchez and Andujar with Realmuto going to the Mets. They somehow went from that to accepting an offer that netted them a SP with durability concerns and no real secondary pitches and a AAAA catcher.

"I thank the Good Lord for not making me a Marlins fan," - Joe DiMaggio, probably.

Reaction Score
And out of left field, there's a rumor circulating that the Yankees have offered Machado $220 Million; but the duration of the offer and any opt-outs are not known. If this is true and Manny takes it, they Yanks are not done making deals as they would have a logjam at 3B or 1B (assuming their long-term plan is not to play Machado at SS), depending what the Yanks see as the future for Andujar.

MLB rumors: Yankees offer Manny Machado $220 million? What it means

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And out of left field, there's a rumor circulating that the Yankees have offered Machado $220 Million; but the duration of the offer and any opt-outs are not known. If this is true and Manny takes it, they Yanks are not done making deals as they would have a logjam at 3B or 1B (assuming their long-term plan is not to play Machado at SS), depending what the Yanks see as the future for Andujar.

MLB rumors: Yankees offer Manny Machado $220 million? What it means

It’s too much of a discount to not consider.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agree. A 7 or 8 year deal with a higher AAV makes sense for the club. Doesn't seem like anyone is willing to do a decade contract for either Manny or Harper. If the offers are all in the 7/8 year range, it'll come down to where Harper/Manny want to play, not where whoever offers the most dollars. Of course, if Philadelphia or the White Sox give in and offer 10 years, they'll sign there.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree. A 7 or 8 year deal with a higher AAV makes sense for the club. Doesn't seem like anyone is willing to do a decade contract for either Manny or Harper. If the offers are all in the 7/8 year range, it'll come down to where Harper/Manny want to play, not where whoever offers the most dollars. Of course, if Philadelphia or the White Sox give in and offer 10 years, they'll sign there.
I think teams want value for each season signed. Why pay a guy 22 million in year 6 if you project 22 homers and 80 rbi? That is probably, by today's measures, a 14 million value.

Thanks Albert Pujols.

Reaction Score
Good move for all parties, $40 million over 4 years with a 5th year option for $12.5 million taking Severino to age 29. He's a rising star; but, still needs to prove he can be the #1 starter for an entire season and through the playoffs. It's reasonable money and avoid an ugly fight.

Yankees, Luis Severino agree to contract | How much money? What it means

The rotation overall will likely look different in 3 years with CC likely retired and Tanaka's contract expiring in 2 years. So, the guys down on the farm have 2 years to prove themselves or the Yanks will go shopping again.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Good move for all parties, $40 million over 4 years with a 5th year option for $12.5 million taking Severino to age 29. He's a rising star; but, still needs to proce he can be the #1 starter for an entire season and trhough the playoffs. It's reasonable money and avoid an ugly fight.

Yankees, Luis Severino agree to contract | How much money? What it means

The rotaion overall will likley look different in 3 years with CC likley retired and Tanaka's contract expiring in 2 years. So, the gusy down on the farm have 2 years to prove themselves or the Yanks will go shopping again.

That convo will happen in 2 years.

Don’t forget Paxton will be a fa by then too

Reaction Score
CC announced that he is retiring after the season. He should be finish the season with over 3000 strikeouts and 250 wins along with a Cy Young and World Series championship. Sure fire Hall of Famer?

The number are close; but, his dominance in the playoffs and his ability at the end of his carer to transformer himself from a flamethrower to a finesse pitcher speaks of his longevity and baseball IQ, so I say yes It won't be the first ballot, though.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Very team friendly deal for Severino considering the Yanks are buying a free agency year at what could provide plenty of surplus value. On the heels of Severino and Nola signing extensions, I wonder if the MLBPA will begin to be proactive and advise their members not to negotiate these types of team friendly deals like Severino's. At least not while there are dozens of MLB quality free agents who can't find jobs outside of clubs' algorithms.

CC - definitely a HOF career but I agree with @Mr. Conehead, not a first ballot (I think).

the Q

Reaction Score
Very team friendly deal for Severino considering the Yanks are buying a free agency year at what could provide plenty of surplus value. On the heels of Severino and Nola signing extensions, I wonder if the MLBPA will begin to be proactive and advise their members not to negotiate these types of team friendly deals like Severino's. At least not while there are dozens of MLB quality free agents who can't find jobs outside of clubs' algorithms.

CC - definitely a HOF career but I agree with @Mr. Conehead, not a first ballot (I think).

I’m far more curious about guys like Arenado.

I don’t blame pitchers getting their money ASAP. They’re one injury away from being almost worthless or at least just vagabonds.

See a guy like Tyson Ross who had thoracic outlet in his walk year and missed out on any high 8-9 figure deal.

Or even Matt Harvey.

Dooley

Reaction Score
What's also news is the fact that the Yanks never submitted an offer at all. Ownership clearly didn't want to risk handing "Johnny Hustle" $300M and I can't blame them. Honestly, I think Machado ended up where he needed to be. West coast team with far less fanbase pressure but a franchise that has dozens upon dozens of elite prospects that will soon join him and turn them into a contender.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Whew!! Last October I publicly stated that if the Yanks signed Machado I would convert my New England to Red Sox Nation.

Reaction Score
What's also news is the fact that the Yanks never submitted an offer at all. Ownership clearly didn't want to risk handing "Johnny Hustle" $300M and I can't blame them. Honestly, I think Machado ended up where he needed to be. West coast team with far less fanbase pressure but a franchise that has dozens upon dozens of elite prospects that will soon join him and turn them into a contender.

And better yet, no direct imapct to the Yankees unless the two teams meet in the World Series, which from the Pardes standpoint, looks to be many years away. if he had signed with White Sox or another AL team, that would have been more problematic.

While He would have been a good addtion to the team, there are questions about his mentality and the Yanks appear to have had it with the 10-year, mega deals.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
And better yet, no direct imapct to the Yankees unless the two teams meet in the World Series, which from the Pardes standpoint, looks to be many years away. if he had signed with White Sox or another AL team, that would have been more problematic.

While He would have been a good addtion to the team, there are questions about his mentality and the Yanks appear to have had it with the 10-year, mega deals.

Yup. I can't see the Yanks handing anyone a 10 year deal unless Trout somehow someway became available. Not with Stanton on the books and Judge/Didi needing extensions soon.

That "Johnny Hustle" interview likely sealed the unwillingness of the Yankees' ownership brass to commit to mega dollars over a long term deal. Northeast fans expect hustle and effort on every play in every game, regardless of what the score is. Gary Sanchez didn't run out a ground ball in Tampa last year and it cost the team a win and he was crushed for it (rightfully so). Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Mets fans don't forget that kind of stuff. If Machado did that in pinstripes - especially in the postseason! - I don't think Yankee fans would ever have forgiven him.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yup. I can't see the Yanks handing anyone a 10 year deal unless Trout somehow someway became available. Not with Stanton on the books and Judge/Didi needing extensions soon.

That "Johnny Hustle" interview likely sealed the unwillingness of the Yankees' ownership brass to commit to mega dollars over a long term deal. Northeast fans expect hustle and effort on every play in every game, regardless of what the score is. Gary Sanchez didn't run out a ground ball in Tampa last year and it cost the team a win and he was crushed for it (rightfully so). Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Mets fans don't forget that kind of stuff. If Machado did that in pinstripes - especially in the postseason! - I don't think Yankee fans would ever have forgiven him.

I really thought the yanks might’ve non tendered didi and signed Machado at ss for a year and figure everything else out after that

Dooley

Reaction Score
I really thought the yanks might’ve non tendered didi and signed Machado at ss for a year and figure everything else out after that

That was certainly an option after Didi's injury. I think we all found out just how much the Yanks love Didi. At this point, I'd be surprised if they didn't hammer out an extension this summer.

I think the Yanks are going to be closely following Mr Arenado this year. It would be hard to blame him for signing an extension given the last 2 slow winters. But if he does make it to free agency, the Bombers will definitely have the money and the position need to offer him big money. If Arenado is extended by Colorado, then the Yanks can use some of the financial flexibility to try and extend Judge and pay him properly.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rockies looking to be extending Nolan Arenado 8 years for a mere $260M-ish.

Eh, maybe the Yankees get him in a trade. ;)

Reaction Score
So much depends on whether Andujar can learn to become an adequate defender. Not expecting him to reach Arenado's level, but just be adequate. If he can do that, then the Yankees will have a solid infield and more money to pay Judge, Betances and Sanchex.

the Q

Reaction Score
So much depends on whether Andujar can learn to become an adequate defender. Not expecting him to reach Arenado's level, but just be adequate. If he can do that, then the Yankees will have a solid infield and more money to pay Judge, Betances and Sanchex.

I’d let betances walk.

Yanks have abused him. Soaked up all his best years.

Find the next Robertson or Chad green to replace him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom