NY Yankees 2019 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
The Washington Post is reporting that Corbin will sign with the Nats for a 6 year deal, money not yet known.

Patrick Corbin to sign with Nationals despite Yankees rumors, per reports

Damn, it. I hope his bother gives him a godo verbal lashing. That said, 6 years is a lot for a pitcher who will be 30 this summer and at least he's going to the Nats instead of an AL team. His signing may open the food gates for other singinings. The question for the Yanks is who is next next as they still need a second top half of the rotation starter.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jon Heyman tweeted out 6 yrs/$140M. If that is accurate, I actually think the Yanks were smart to pass. That's HUGE money. I was hoping for a 5 year deal but can't blame Corbin for taking a guaranteed 6th year at that money. Yanks will now pivot to Happ or Keuchel or Eovaldi...maybe explore another trade?

Reaction Score
Jon Heyman tweeted out 6 yrs/$140M. If that is accurate, I actually think the Yanks were smart to pass. That's HUGE money. I was hoping for a 5 year deal but can't blame Corbin for taking a guaranteed 6th year at that money. Yanks will now pivot to Happ or Keuchel or Eovaldi...maybe explore another trade?

While the Yanks could really use Corbin, I would also pass on 6 years/$140 Million. Just too much risk. Yapp makes the most sense going forward; but, Cashman does like his surprises.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Whle the Yanks coudl really use Corbin, I would also pass on 6 years/$140 Million. Just too much risk. Yapp makes the most sense going forward; but, Cashman does like his surprises.

I have zero problem giving Happ a 2 or 3 year deal. He showed very well in his time in New York. I would sign him before Keuchel, to be honest.

Another idea: I wonder if the Yanks/Snakes will explore a Goldschmidt/Greinke combo pack. Yanks certainly have the prospects and luxury tax room to make it happen. Would mean no pursuit of Machado or Harper but 1B and SP are more of a weakness. Goldschmidt is a free agent after the year so the price, along with Greinke's 3 years, might be fairly reasonable.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Whle the Yanks coudl really use Corbin, I would also pass on 6 years/$140 Million. Just too much risk. Yapp makes the most sense going forward; but, Cashman does like his surprises.

6 years is long.

Darvish is scary.

Too many injuries to starters.

Yanks sound like they’re after Happ and Eovaldi now. Which makes some sense.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Happ and Eovaldi make sense too. If Keuchel now gets 5+ years, that's too long too. I think Happ will get his extra 3rd year which makes more sense to me. Guy pitched well in New York and after Sonny Gray, that means something to me. Eovaldi's agent would be really happy to engage a Yanks/Sox bid war.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Happ and Eovaldi make sense too. If Keuchel now gets 5+ years, that's too long too. I think Happ will get his extra 3rd year which makes more sense to me. Guy pitched well in New York and after Sonny Gray, that means something to me. Eovaldi's agent would be really happy to engage a Yanks/Sox bid war.

Every agents dream.

As I said before, I thought everyone’s predictions for eovaldi were low.

Like what he would’ve gotten if Tampa never traded him.

I can’t imagine him getting less than Cobb got. And if the Sox/yanks get involved and he’s 28. 5 years isn’t out of the question

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I want da Bum!!! And Happ.

Bumgarner
Severino
Tanaka
Paxson
Happ

Sorry CC...you're just insurance in case the above can't happen.

I was never ga ga over Corbin. Yes, a serviceable starter but what the hell did he do to merit 140 million clams?

Reaction Score
Corbin’s numbers last year were outstanding.
He had the best year by far of all of the SP’s out there - if you don’t include Eovaldi’s great postseason with his solid regular season.
Question is whether that was just one great year as he was hitting the market or he finally figured something out.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He had the best year by far of all of the SP’s out there - if you don’t include Eovaldi’s great postseason with his solid regular season.
Question is whether that was just one great year as he was hitting the market or he finally figured something out.
At age 26 and 27 (2016 and 17) he pitched 345 innings giving up 385 hits. And the k/9 was meh.

Last year is so out of left field I find it hard to see giving 6 years. Or 5. The Nats are paying steeply for their #3 pitcher.

the Q

Reaction Score

I believe at least some of it is real because he’s throwing his slider more, and it has always been a grade a weapon.

But it’s a double edged sword cause throwing it that much is a health risk.

Don’t forget that Arizona is like the best hitters park not named Coors field.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Don’t forget that Arizona is like the best hitters park not named Coors field.

And Arizona added a humidor before the 2018 season, which could also speak to Corbin's career year.

He's a good pitcher and would have been a great #3 or #4, but the Yanks (and Phils) were wise to pass on the guaranteed 6th year at those dollars.

the Q

Reaction Score
And Arizona added a humidor before the 2018 season, which could also speak to Corbin's career year.

He's a good pitcher and would have been a great #3 or #4, but the Yanks (and Phils) were wise to pass on the guaranteed 6th year at those dollars.

I think the extra use of his slider makes it legit.

He’s quite good. Obviously some regression moving to the AL would happen. But I get not going 6 years for a pitcher

Reaction Score
The Nats got Gomes from Cleveland, who appear to be going into full re-build mode. That's one less team to consider for Realmuto.

Indians deal All-Star catcher Gomes to Nationals

Should the marlins make Realmuto available, scratch another potential landing spot off the list as the Astros have signed Chirnos. The Braves also previously signed McCann, who I think will really help their young pitching staff, though he does not offer much with a bat anymore.

Veteran C Chirinos, Astros reach 1-year deal

the Q

Reaction Score
Should the marlins make Realmuto available, scratch another potential landing spot off the list as the Astros have signed Chirnos. The Braves also previously signed McCann, who I think will really help their young pitching staff, though he does not offer much with a bat anymore.

Veteran C Chirinos, Astros reach 1-year deal

I dont think that stops them. But it gives them leverage.

Frankly until Grandal signs this market will be hard to gauge.

Boston really needs to say F it and go get grandal

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think the extra use of his slider makes it legit.

He’s quite good. Obviously some regression moving to the AL would happen. But I get not going 6 years for a pitcher

I like Corbin. Trust me, I was hoping the Yanks could sign him to a 5 year deal. Don't blame him at all for taking the extra year and money. He'll put up very good stats in Washington. Pretty good pitcher's park and the slider plays anywhere.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie I really wanted Corbin here but can't blame Cashman for signing him to 6 years or Corbin for taking an extra 40 mill. Being close to family isnt the best situation to be in too many distractions kind of like Carl Pavano (Yankee fan and from Southington btw). If the Yankees didnt make a deal for Paxton already then I would be pissed.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If the Yanks enter 2019 with Severino, Paxton, Tanaka, Happ as their SP1-4, that's pretty solid. They still have a deep farm that could land a SP at the trade deadline if they need to.

Food for thought - the Yanks could improve their pitching by upgrading their catcher defense. Sign a 3B and trade Andujar for Realmuto? Would love to see the impact that would have on a guy like Severino who could then throw his slider with far more confidence than he does with Sanchez back there.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie I really wanted Corbin here but can't blame Cashman for signing him to 6 years or Corbin for taking an extra 40 mill. Being close to family isnt the best situation to be in too many distractions kind of like Carl Pavano (Yankee fan and from Southington btw). If the Yankees didnt make a deal for Paxton already then I would be pissed.

Agree. I was loving the thought of Corbin as a SP3 or SP4 but also agree with holding firm at 5 years. I'd much rather give Happ 3 years than give Corbin 6. Plus, we know Happ can pitch in New York and at Yankee Stadium. Those are very big plusses in Happ's column, in my opinion.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agree. I was loving the thought of Corbin as a SP3 or SP4 but also agree with holding firm at 5 years. I'd much rather give Happ 3 years than give Corbin 6. Plus, we know Happ can pitch in New York and at Yankee Stadium. Those are very big plusses in Happ's column, in my opinion.

I’m not sure happ will even require 3 years. 2 years should be enough. ESP if you just wont get outbid at 2

Dooley

Reaction Score
I’m not sure happ will even require 3 years. 2 years should be enough. ESP if you just wont get outbid at 2

I hope so. There were reports about the Phils willing to go 3. The Yanks have held firm on duration so far, so it will be interesting to see what the length will be on Happ. I think Happ or Morton *could* be signed to 2 years especially if they're willing to tack on a few dollars to the AAV.

the Q

Reaction Score
I hope so. There were reports about the Phils willing to go 3. The Yanks have held firm on duration so far, so it will be interesting to see what the length will be on Happ. I think Happ or Morton *could* be signed to 2 years especially if they're willing to tack on a few dollars to the AAV.

Man Morton would be a great get. Dude is gonna retire soon. Problem is you have to wonder how much he’s into it each year.

But he’s a local boy (Joel Barlow hs grad, I was 1 round from facing him in the state tourney one year) and he is good with a sinker that will play in the launching pad known as Yankee stadium

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom