NY Yankees 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Update: the reds hired Johnson away from the brewers.

Gray is probably less of a landing spot there

Good hire for their roster depth.

So taking a look at whether or not Cincinnati and the Yanks line up, I suppose Jose Peraza could be available. He had a pretty good 2018 at the plate but made 22 errors last year at SS. Not exactly what the Yanks need defensively. I think the Reds like Peraza alot so the price is probably way too high to engage there.

If the Yanks decide to pivot away from Sanchez's defense, Tucker Barnhart would be quite an upgrade behind the plate. He can hit a little too and is a SH to give the lineup more flexibility. I don't think the Reds would trade him straight up for Gray though.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Good hire for their roster depth.

So taking a look at whether or not Cincinnati and the Yanks line up, I suppose Jose Peraza could be available. He had a pretty good 2018 at the plate but made 22 errors last year at SS. Not exactly what the Yanks need defensively. I think the Reds like Peraza alot so the price is probably way too high to engage there.

If the Yanks decide to pivot away from Sanchez's defense, Tucker Barnhart would be quite an upgrade behind the plate. He can hit a little too and is a SH to give the lineup more flexibility. I don't think the Reds would trade him straight up for Gray though.

I doubt the reds are interested in gray. They aren’t ready yet

Dooley

Reaction Score
I doubt the reds are interested in gray. They aren’t ready yet

Agreed. He still makes sense for the Brewers but the interest meter might be down. Or not.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agreed. He still makes sense for the Brewers but the interest meter might be down. Or not.

Yes. Agreed all around. They need to add some innings to that staff.

And I’m sure they’d be willing to deal thames somewhere as well.

They should’ve sold high on Domingo Santana for pitching.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes. Agreed all around. They need to add some innings to that staff.

And I’m sure they’d be willing to deal thames somewhere as well.

They should’ve sold high on Domingo Santana for pitching.

Brew Crew and Yanks line up for a swap of Gray for INF depth. Some of their depth are certainly worthy of adding a prospect or two to the deal if needed.

the Q

Reaction Score
Brew Crew and Yanks line up for a swap of Gray for INF depth. Some of their depth are certainly worthy of adding a prospect or two to the deal if needed.

Not sure how much depth they have with moose a fa.

If you’d buy low on schoop I’m sure there would be some interest in a deal.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
I have no problem with CC deal. Probably could give him a lifetime "Tim Wakefield" contract at this point. He's great for the clubhouse and he eats up pretty good quality innings. I know we're not supposed to celebrate when pitchers hit batters, but his leadership was on full display down in Tampa forgoing incentives pay in order to protect his teammates.

That said, I'd like CC even more if he was a 6th / spot starter. Or as one of those innings 2-6 guy in the event the Yanks decide to try out one of those "Opener" type of games.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Looks like the Yanks have checked in on Kluber, Carrasco and James Paxton. All three are interesting names. Seattle is entertaining a full rebuild and boy they have a few players that could net a haul. Will be interesting to see if they could convince a team to take on some of their bad contracts or if they try to maximize trade value for Paxton, Diaz, Segura, etc without lowering by attaching a bad contract.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There's talk in the local paper that the Yanks may try to sign Dan Murphy for a left bat, infield depth and to help with 2B, especially with Didi out. I actually like the idea as I see such a move as an upgrade over Niel Walker, especially as a lefty bat, can provide insurance at 1B if Voit and/or Bird have issues and even fill in at 3B on rest days for other players. That talk is that the Yanks will go after him even if the Yanks go after Manny Machado.

Thus, the Yank's 'regular' 2019 infield would be 1B Voit/Bird, 2B Murphy, SS Torres, 3B Machado. Andujar would thus become a key part of a trade to land another starting pitcher.

My primary concern is with player management. Do the Yanks want to deal with 2 players in Machado and Sanchez that seem to have work ethic challenges.

Don't see the Yanks going for Machado. To trade Andujar it would have to be a blockbuster deal. Andujar can improve his fielding. He is not "work ethic" challenged. And his bat is as good as Machado and I believe he is younger.

Murphy could be a decent pickup for one year.

the Q

Reaction Score

the Q

Reaction Score
Don't see the Yanks going for Machado. To trade Andujar it would have to be a blockbuster deal. Andujar can improve his fielding. He is not "work ethic" challenged. And his bat is as good as Machado and I believe he is younger.

Murphy could be a decent pickup for one year.

I don’t think that last part is true. Not yet anyway. We’ll see if he can keep this up.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Could very well be posturing, but it seems like every indication is the Yanks will prefer to stay under the luxury tax limit. Harper to the Yankees "is not happening" according to a bunch of website reports, which is fine by me since Harper doesn't play CI or pitch. I'm hoping he doesn't sign with the Giants either as I'm selfishly hoping that Cashman can extract Bumgarner out of the Bay area.

Viva The Hot Stove!

the Q

Reaction Score
Could very well be posturing, but it seems like every indication is the Yanks will prefer to stay under the luxury tax limit. Harper to the Yankees "is not happening" according to a bunch of website reports, which is fine by me since Harper doesn't play CI or pitch. I'm hoping he doesn't sign with the Giants either as I'm selfishly hoping that Cashman can extract Bumgarner out of the Bay area.

Viva The Hot Stove!

Dodgers told investors that they plan on staying under the tax for the next 4 years or so.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also of consideration for the Yankees now that they are under luxury tax threshold, when do they lock up Aaron Judge? He's still in pre-Arb years but I think everyone in and out of baseball can see he's worth FAR more than $600K/yr. (The next CBA will need to address this but I digress.) Anyway, I would like to see the Yanks buyout Judge's upcoming arb years and perhaps 1 or 2 FA years (if they can). 5 yrs / $100M? That takes Judge through his age 32 season if he wants to play the free agent market. That also keeps the twin towers in pinstripes during their prime years for when the Yankees' deep system starts being promoting upward. I'd also have zero issue going longer. More injury risk, especially with that big body, but I think locking up the face of the franchise over the long haul sends a strong message to the talent on the farm and even outside the organization.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather see the Yanks play "frugal" this offseason. Use some excess cash for Corbin/Happ/pitching and to buy out some arb/FA years for their own homegrown talent. They'll eventually need to do the same with Severino, Torres, Andujar, Sanchez (if they don't move on from C), etc, but I think we all agree that Judge is a huge star in the game and should be compensated at a (MUCH!) higher level than $600K/yr.

the Q

Reaction Score
Also of consideration for the Yankees now that they are under luxury tax threshold, when do they lock up Aaron Judge? He's still in pre-Arb years but I think everyone in and out of baseball can see he's worth FAR more than $600K/yr. (The next CBA will need to address this but I digress.) Anyway, I would like to see the Yanks buyout Judge's upcoming arb years and perhaps 1 or 2 FA years (if they can). 5 yrs / $100M? That takes Judge through his age 32 season if he wants to play the free agent market. That also keeps the twin towers in pinstripes during their prime years for when the Yankees' deep system starts being promoting upward. I'd also have zero issue going longer. More injury risk, especially with that big body, but I think locking up the face of the franchise over the long haul sends a strong message to the talent on the farm and even outside the organization.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather see the Yanks play "frugal" this offseason. Use some excess cash for Corbin/Happ/pitching and to buy out some arb/FA years for their own homegrown talent. They'll eventually need to do the same with Severino, Torres, Andujar, Sanchez (if they don't move on from C), etc, but I think we all agree that Judge is a huge star in the game and should be compensated at a (MUCH!) higher level than $600K/yr.

Boras clients tend to not do this.

I think Corbin has to be the guy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Boras clients tend to not do this.

I think Corbin has to be the guy.

Good thing Judge is not a Boras client. :) I think Sanchez is though...but that's not a big deal. Zero need to buy out his arb years until he improves defensively.

Agree - Corbin is target #1.

the Q

Reaction Score
Good thing Judge is not a Boras client. :) I think Sanchez is though...but that's not a big deal. Zero need to buy out his arb years until he improves defensively.

Agree - Corbin is target #1.

I was just Saying in general. I thought severino was a Boras client too. But apparently he’s not.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I was just Saying in general. I thought severino was a Boras client too. But apparently he’s not.
If I were the GM, I would state it plainly:
If you are represented by Boras, don't bother considering playing for us, we will not speak to you, we will not consider you, we will not sign you. Don't care who it is or how desperately we need a player in a given position. If Boras is the agent, then the player is persona non grata. It would certainly change the dynamics of negotiations for the entire MLB and most definitely improve the landscape.

the Q

Reaction Score
If you are represented by Boras, don't bother considering playing for us, we will not speak to you, we will not consider you, we will not sign you. Don't care who it is or how desperately we need a player in a given position. If Boras is the agent, then the player is persona non grata. It would certainly change the dynamics of negotiations for the entire MLB and most definitely improve the landscape.

And the players you draft?

Also, boras poaches up and coming minor leaguers like a mofo.

and....agents can be fired at any time basically at will. Are you gonna trade any player/prospect who hires him?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's wrong with a guy who get his clients paid? Jim Bouton said it best when he was asked if players deserve all that money. He said, "No, but they deserve it more than the owners."

Reaction Score
What's wrong with a guy who get his clients paid? Jim Bouton said it best when he was asked if players deserve all that money. He said, "No, but they deserve it more than the owners."

The problem with Boras is not the money. The problem is that he makes negotiations about him, and not the player.

the Q

Reaction Score
With the giants new gm hire, I think a bumgarner trade just became more likely.

the Q

Reaction Score
The Yankees need top of the order on base players. They have to have contact hitters at the top of the lineup who can take pitches and hit with 2 strikes.

So Cutch...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom