OT: - NY Giants | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: NY Giants

Reaction Score
Fine by me as well

If they actually do that 3 year BS they're insane, but nothing would surprise me at this point. The Giants have already been really bad for almost a decade (one good year mixed in), and it's only getting worse. It's brutal watching them deteriorate as the GM is actively thinking backwards and bragging about it.
Honestly I think the best, worst case scenario for this season is to start Eli until the bye, switch to Jones, finish 3-13, trade your top 5 2020 pick and grab more picks for 2021.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not a good comparison to use stats of a guy (Haskins)who plays at a great program with every player a highly sought recruit with a guy(Jones)who plays at Duke. Jones was not my guy. If he was their guy and they felt he is the QB of the future, you draft where you draft.
There is no way you draft him at 6, even if you like him more than Haskins you would have Jones at 17. Nobody else was taking quarterbacks. You take Josh Allen, you take Ed Oliver, you take Christian Wilkinson etc. These are all dire need positions for the Giants and these are all dynamic players at those positions. Giants don't take a QB last year in a stacked QB draft and they reach like crazy on a QB in a horrible QB draft.

Don't try and make sense of idiocy.

Reaction Score
There is no way you draft him at 6, even if you like him more than Haskins you would have Jones at 17. Nobody else was taking quarterbacks. You take Josh Allen, you take Ed Oliver, you take Christian Wilkinson etc. These are all dire need positions for the Giants and these are all dynamic players at those positions. Giants don't take a QB last year in a stacked QB draft and they reach like crazy on a QB in a horrible QB draft.

Not at all. Giants draft graded pretty well last few years.....never really translated on the field. Maybe the experts don't know as much. Saying he was rated the 59th best player is picking and choosing which reviewer you use. Not saying you said that. But heard some pundits saying that. I am not defending the pick...just playing devil's advocate. So posters act like they are experts because they watch morning sports talk, but do little or no research.

Reaction Score
Not a good comparison to use stats of a guy (Haskins)who plays at a great program with every player a highly sought recruit with a guy(Jones)who plays at Duke. Jones was not my guy. If he was their guy and they felt he is the QB of the future, you draft where you draft.

The underlying idiocy is that he's definitely not a sure-fire prospect. The Giants have admitted that, which is why they want to do the Aaron Rodgers/Mahomes plan and give him time to develop. The stats obviously back up that he wasn't can't miss, since he had pretty bad production. So the stats say it and the Giants say it.

So if he's a risky pick, you might as well take the risk that he'll be there later so you don't have to use as much draft capital and salary cap space on him.

To summarize: They were afraid their risky pick wouldn't be there later. It's not good draft strategy.

Reaction Score
Not at all. Giants draft graded pretty well last few years.....never really translated on the field. Maybe the experts don't know as much. Saying he was rated the 59th best player is picking and choosing which reviewer you use. Not saying you said that. But heard some pundits saying that. I am not defending the pick...just playing devil's advocate. So posters act like they are experts because they watch morning sports talk, but do little or no research.
Well neither the scouting reports or actual numbers, even adjusted for his team/situation, look favorable for Jones. He was taken at 6 on the faith of the front office, which holds very little weight in Giants fans’ eyes right now.

Reaction Score
But this has nothing to do with draft grades and player rankings. They took a player at 6 they very likely could have had at 17. That's mismanagement. Full stop.

Reaction Score
Don't listen to pundits, watch him play. Gettleman said he wouldn't reach, he reached terribly. Gettleman said he never watched Jones but then watched him play 3 series in the senior bowl (completely meaningless game) and got a superjohn for him. Gettleman says Jones could be watching Eli for 3 years and he wants to model it after what Green Bay did with Favre and Rodgers.

There is a chance the guy could turn out to be really good, average, or horrible but even if he turns out really good taking him at #6 is a horrible pick. There is no way around that.

Reaction Score
But this has nothing to do with draft grades and player rankings. They took a player at 6 they very likely could have had at 17. That's mismanagement. Full stop.
I think he would have been a second day pick.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This make WAAAYYY too much sense for Gettleman to do.....or take your 17 and and some of your other 10 picks and move up a few spots..

I thought I read that Dave Gettleman had never traded back in a draft. Incredible.

Nah, Dave, you're doing great, sweetie. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.

Reaction Score
I thought I read that Dave Gettleman had never traded back in a draft. Incredible.

Nah, Dave, you're doing great, sweetie. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.
I believe it's true. He's never traded back in his career as GM

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a mind boggling trade. Draft is a gamble. More chances you get, the better your odds of landing somebody. wtf trade

Reaction Score
Either way, bottom line is Gettleman better be right. Only time will tell.
Last year the Browns to Denzel Ward and they were widely criticized. He had a pretty good rookie year. You pick where you pick. If they waited till 17, he might have been there...or he might not have. He is either the heir apparent or a bust. We can all guess on that one.

Reaction Score
Gettleman says Jones could be watching Eli for 3 years and he wants to model it after what Green Bay did with Favre and Rodgers.

Rodgers was the 24th Pick...not 6th....and Brett was 36, not 38....and a much better QB

Reaction Score

It's like saying we really like this house...We can buy it for 500k, but since we really like it, let's pay 750k so we get it.

Instead of paying a QB second round money, you have to pay him #6 money..along with paying Eli 25m this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want them to give Jones, and by extension Gettleman, a trial by fire this year. If Jones looks terrible, get rid of Gettleman and just draft Tua.

But that's not how Mara operates. He gave Reese way too long of a leash, then complimented that with a horrible hire to follow. Gettleman sucks, but I have no faith in the ownership anymore either.

I actually like Shurmur, but knowing the Giants he'll be the first scapegoat to go.

Not defending the pick or DG, but most QBs aren't ready year one, especially with no D to take the heat off.

Reaction Score
They were going through the last 25 years of the draft on the NFL network, naming who, in their opinion, ended up being the best player from each draft. More times than not the player who turned out to be the best was not selected in the first round. They stated that if this draft follows history, the best player in this draft will be selected today.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They were going through the last 25 years of the draft on the NFL network, naming who, in their opinion, ended up being the best player from each draft. More times than not the player who turned out to be the best was not selected in the first round. They stated that if this draft follows history, the best player in this draft will be selected today.

Good thing the Giants gave up 37 and a lot more and now don't draft until 95

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's like saying we really like this house...We can buy it for 500k, but since we really like it, let's pay 750k so we get it.

Instead of paying a QB second round money, you have to pay him #6 money..along with paying Eli 25m this year.

Independent of Jones, it's better to take a QB in the 1st, ideally at the end. You get 5 years of control before you have to break the bank. Taking him at the top mitigates it somewhat, given increased salary (but compared to franchise QBs, it's a bargain).

And that's assuming the QB is good.

Reaction Score
I'm a GMen fan
It's the Giants, what do you expect????????
The Mannings run the decisions on the team and they have a relationship with Jones so to appease the Mannings they wasted a great #6 on someone they could have drafted in round 3
You can bet your house on this - Haskins and the Redskins are going to embarrass the Giants very soon.
Hell, I would have taken the TE from Iowa before Jones
Loved the way some of the announcers on all 3 networks carrying the draft were struggling to say something nice about the Jones kid and figure some logic in the early choice
Even the Cuse QB had better stats in the ACC
Trade OBJ for social/team harmony and draft Jones so you can keep a Eli clone for another 10 years - I'm waiting for them to trade Barkley for a future 10th round choice
Stupid, Insipid and pure BS - That's the NYG football way lately
But I will still watch and root (maybe with a bag and two cutouts for eyes)
Absolutely the Skins will embarrass the Giants they traded up to get Sweat as well and already have Collins (overpaid yes) but they are going for it. The Eagles always had to their already solid oline and dlines. Team is gonna suck for a very long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom