OT: - NY Giants | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: NY Giants

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I just hope this kid is good dispite Gettleman.

What gets under my skin is 2 different things.

1) Gettleman is a complete LIAR. Sites the whole staying true to your board/best player available stuff when taking Barkley, but then casually shifts to, oh we didn't want someone to take him before 17 stuff with Jones. If they say the had Jones rated higher than Allen or Oliver they are lying.

2) They let Snacks leave for basically nothing. Apple for basically nothing. Let Collins walk. Traded OBJ to replace all of them with unknowns or lesser players. Snacks (Lawrence) Apple (Baker) Collins (Peppers) and OBJ (Tate). Not to mention the timing of all these moves were questionable at BEST.

The other thing that gets me...how about an OL, Dave? Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford are still there...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm a GMen fan
It's the Giants, what do you expect????????
The Mannings run the decisions on the team and they have a relationship with Jones so to appease the Mannings they wasted a great #6 on someone they could have drafted in round 3
You can bet your house on this - Haskins and the Redskins are going to embarrass the Giants very soon.
Hell, I would have taken the TE from Iowa before Jones
Loved the way some of the announcers on all 3 networks carrying the draft were struggling to say something nice about the Jones kid and figure some logic in the early choice
Even the Cuse QB had better stats in the ACC
Trade OBJ for social/team harmony and draft Jones so you can keep a Eli clone for another 10 years - I'm waiting for them to trade Barkley for a future 10th round choice
Stupid, Insipid and pure BS - That's the NYG football way lately
But I will still watch and root (maybe with a bag and two cutouts for eyes)

Reaction Score
The issue isn't Jones vs. Haskins. If we weren't in love with Haskins, that's fine.

The issue is that nobody had Jones rated that highly and nobody would have taken him before #17 (or possibly even later than that). Gettleman reached to make sure he got "his guy", even though he almost certainly could have been taken later and the 6th pick used for an impact DL.
You don't know that, though. Maybe the broncos wanted him and that's why they traded back

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To takeaway here is that Gettleman is such a meathead that he feels like he has to prove that he can win going against the grain and doing things his way, just so he can have the last laugh.

Shows a ton of outward arrogance, but also probably a ton of insecurity.

I cannot stand this guy and the fact the Giant ownership hasn't seen enough at this point just shows how directionless they are as well.

If you like Jones, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have traded down to get more value. Worse case? You miss out and can take Lock, trade for Rosen, etc.

It's almost comical this guy is allowed to be in charge of an NFL team. Almost.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't Jones vs. Haskins. If we weren't in love with Haskins, that's fine.

The issue is that nobody had Jones rated that highly and nobody would have taken him before #17 (or possibly even later than that). Gettleman reached to make sure he got "his guy", even though he almost certainly could have been taken later and the 6th pick used for an impact DL.
You don't know that, though. Maybe the broncos wanted him and that's why they traded back
Yeah, it doesn't sound like he would've been available at 17: Why Giants took Duke QB Daniel Jones with sixth pick in NFL draft

And this one too:

Not saying I agree with the pick, but understandable why they took him at 6 if they felt he was their guy and wouldn't be available at 17.

Reaction Score
To takeaway here is that Gettleman is such a meathead that he feels like he has to prove that he can win going against the grain and doing things his way, just so he can have the last laugh.

Sounds like Chip Kelly in Philly a little. Doing things that no one else understands, hoping to throw it back in everyone's face. That one didn't work, hard to see this one working.

Similar situation over in Oakland. Firing your scouts before the draft, then taking 2 first rounders that are gambles. Gruden also likes to think he's smarter than anyone....even though he won once with Tony Dungy's team.

Reaction Score

I cannot stand this guy and the fact the Giant ownership hasn't seen enough at this point just shows how directionless they are as well.

If you like Jones, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have traded down to get more value. Worse case? You miss out and can take Lock, trade for Rosen, etc.

You pretty much nailed it....he has to prove he is the smartest guy in the room...that's fine if you really ARE the smartest guy in the room. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with Odell....but this just proves he's in over his head.

What has also become painfully clear over the past few years...John Mara is no Wellington...just because you were born into a business, doesn't mean you are qualified to run it!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

His moves are bad and his defensive justifications are worse.

He says he couldn't "risk" taking Allen at 6 and waiting to draft Jones at 17, even though he had them ranked the same. Huh?

Like you said, Rosen was there -- and for what? A second rounder?

I like Rosen more than Dave Brown 2.0.

Depressing.

Reaction Score

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you weren’t gonna take Allen, do a short deal down with a team like det and get another asset.

Reaction Score
If you weren’t gonna take Allen, do a short deal down with a team like det and get another asset.

Or draft Josh Allen or Oliver, gamble that your guy is there at 17. If he's not, trade down to the 2nd, trade that for Rosen, and pocket the asset difference.

Reaction Score
Or draft Josh Allen or Oliver, gamble that your guy is there at 17. If he's not, trade down to the 2nd, trade that for Rosen, and pocket the asset difference.

This make WAAAYYY too much sense for Gettleman to do.....or take your 17 and and some of your other 10 picks and move up a few spots..

Reaction Score
Sounds like Chip Kelly in Philly a little. Doing things that no one else understands, hoping to throw it back in everyone's face. That one didn't work, hard to see this one working.

Similar situation over in Oakland. Firing your scouts before the draft, then taking 2 first rounders that are gambles. Gruden also likes to think he's smarter than anyone....even though he won once with Tony Dungy's team.
Except a bunch of chips guys won the Superbowl...

Reaction Score

I still don't like it but at least they had enough conviction to take him with #6. The reality is that no one knows how he's going to be.

Reaction Score
I want them to give Jones, and by extension Gettleman, a trial by fire this year. If Jones looks terrible, get rid of Gettleman and just draft Tua.

But that's not how Mara operates. He gave Reese way too long of a leash, then complimented that with a horrible hire to follow. Gettleman sucks, but I have no faith in the ownership anymore either.

I actually like Shurmur, but knowing the Giants he'll be the first scapegoat to go.

Reaction Score
I want them to give Jones, and by extension Gettleman, a trial by fire this year. If Jones looks terrible, get rid of Gettleman and just draft Tua.

But that's not how Mara operates. He gave Reese way too long of a leash, then complimented that with a horrible hire to follow. Gettleman sucks, but I have no faith in the ownership anymore either.

I actually like Shurmur, but knowing the Giants he'll be the first scapegoat to go.
Give em two years and then trade the farm for Trevor Lawrence and get a new HC. Tua is gonna flop

Reaction Score

They've already set in the works Eli for another 3 years then Jones will take over. Giants fans are going to hate Eli and the whole Manning family at the end of this and the Giants have probably set themselves back for a decade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Give em two years and then trade the farm for Trevor Lawrence and get a new HC. Tua is gonna flop
Fine by me as well
They've already set in the works Eli for another 3 years than Jones will take over. Giants fans are going to hate Eli and the whole Manning family at the end of this and the Giants have probably set themselves back for a decade.
If they actually do that 3 year BS they're insane, but nothing would surprise me at this point. The Giants have already been really bad for almost a decade (one good year mixed in), and it's only getting worse. It's brutal watching them deteriorate as the GM is actively thinking backwards and bragging about it. The front office just puts out the dreaded Raiders vibe now.

Reaction Score
Not a good comparison to use stats of a guy (Haskins)who plays at a great program with every player a highly sought recruit with a guy(Jones)who plays at Duke. Jones was not my guy. If he was their guy and they felt he is the QB of the future, you draft where you draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom