Now Look at us....... | The Boneyard

Now Look at us.......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well a few months ago many fans were concerned about UConn and Geno recruiting. Many thought UConn was not going to be a top 5 team this season. Many thought UConn would lose 5-7 games. Many wondered who would start. Many focused on all the top players going elsewhere instead of coming to UConn. Many thought UConn was in trouble this season and maybe wouldnt get past the first round of the NCAAs. Now look at us.

The team is developing very fast and is now ranked number 1. Many of our games have been on the road. I heard and read everything about how UConn isnt as good as past number 1 teams and how UConn hasnt played any really good teams yet and how UConn shouldnt be the number 1 team in WCBB. Well I differ from those comments and those of you who have been on the boards for the past 20+ years know I try to remain positive enthusiastic and unbeat all the time. Well you look at who UConn has played and some of the analysis other Boneyards have posted and you know what....UConn has played tuffer teams overall then most other teams.

UConn has developed into a very very good team. Just look at em. We were missing a force underneath last season and we lacked height. Now we have ONO, a force and we've seen signs of her becoming dominate. She was a top 5 player coming out of HS. If fact 4 of our starters were top 5 out of HS which means you can count on them when the going gets tuff. We have two very very good guards who are still improving. We have Megan imo a 1st team AA. How many other teams have that? How many other teams have 4 players who can put up 20 pts at any time? How many other teams have underclassman that can play like UConn's underclassman? What we have is a solid cohesive team that can perform at the highest level and they do it together. With that said we have flaws which come with youth and inexperience but we have gamers who in crucial situations in a game can excel.

Comparing this UConn team to Stewies team is not real. Stewies team was one that you see very seldom. However compare this UConn team to all the other teams in WCBB and you know what? We're pretty good. Our defense has improved and is getting better but we're not there yet. We have great outside shooters and a great shot blocker who has learned how not to get into foul trouble and their not there yet. Alot of early and preseason questions have been answered and some fans still have their doubts and thats ok.

I see things differently then most. I see a NC every year and I see undefeated seasons almost every year. An ole saying "You shoot for the moon, and if you miss you end up with the stars" The reason we are so good is because of Geno. His mentality and attitude is contagious. His recruiting qualifications to play for him are in resume form. He is looking for a certain type player and each recuit must meet his standard qualifications. Everybody on this UConn team is on the same page. You play by Genos rules or you dont play. You can call it tuff love and its really discipline but thats what makes UConn great and thats what attracts the great ones to come to UConn. The great ones come here to get better to be great to win NC's. Genos results are mindboggleing. He continues to win and set records with his teams every year. His teams are feared by all even if they wont admit it. Before the game is played UConn is already in their heads. Everybody in the world who follows WBB knows the name Geno. Just like everybody who follows baseball knows the name "Babe". No last name needed for either. Geno has the ability to maintain his teams greatness as players come and player graduate. He doesnt win all the time but he wins enough to continue to be the program every other team aspires to be. Some coaches have a great season of two, but non maintain the longivtiity that Geno has at UConn.

So here we are in December undefeated and ranked number 1 in the country...again. Just when others thought UConn would have a down year we're number 1 again. That says somethin. How does Geno continue to do it? IMO its his love for what he does. Its his short term and long term goals every year. His ability to look at his team as it is and to be able to make it as he sees it in the future. Youve heard me say this before...there are two kinds of people in the world...those who think they can and those who think they cant..and theyre both right. Well when recruiting your looking for values, your looking for team players because at this level everybody is good and at UConn everybody is really really good.

So what makes UConn so different? You can define the recruits Geno goes after as eagles. You can work with eagles and make them great. Some get it quicker then others and thats ok so long as they dont disrupt the team. Eagles compete with each other and strive to follow the leader. However you cant take a duck and make them an eagle. Geno looks for eagles and he gets most of them.. You surround eagles with eagles and youve got a great team that pulls together. You surround an eagle with ducks and youve got........ That begin said teh strength of teh team is each individual member and the strength of each memeber is teh T.E.A.M Together Everyone Acheives More.

Its the holiday season and God Bless you all. This is kinda long so let me end on this note. Sucess is like anything worthwhile. It is the price you pay in advance to belong to this UConn team. Belonging has a price. You have to pay the price everyday to win and you have to pay the price to get to the point where success is possible most important you must pay the price to stay there.

Reaction Score
A great post, Tonyc, as usual. In fairness to the doubters, however, this team seems to have surprised even Geno. If I recall correctly, Geno said something like, "We have pieces I didn't know we had." I don't know what pieces he might be referring to, but my guess is Molly and Kyla. Kyla is starting! Not many saw that coming. And she is a steady contributor and even a threat from beyond the arc. Molly has established herself as the backup point guard, and a threat from beyond the arc. Wow! Also, the freshmen are contributing and growing rapidly. Aubrey is an unopened gift.We've only seen the outside of the package, but we know it holds diamonds. So, yes, we're #1 for Christmas and the New Year. Merry Christmas to all.

Reaction Score
If it walks like a duck.....it might be an eagle? I like the concept of surrounding eagles with ducks and ducks with eagles. That way, no one goes hungry. Excellent write-up. Thx. And may the eagles soar for you this Xmas season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The team is developing very fast and is now ranked number 1. Many of our games have been on the road. I heard and read everything about how UConn isnt as good as past number 1 teams and how UConn hasnt played any really good teams yet and how UConn shouldnt be the number 1 team in WCBB. Well you look at who UConn has played and some of the analysis other Boneyards have posted and you know what....UConn has played tuffer teams overall then most other teams.

UConn has developed into a very very good team. Just look at em. We were missing a force underneath last season and we lacked height. Now we have ONO, a force...

Comparing this UConn team to Stewies team is not real. Stewies team was one that you see very seldom. However compare this UConn team to all the other teams in WCBB and you know what? We're pretty good.
Tony
Allow me to highlight 3 of your main points that are undeniable.
We've played at least as difficult as schedule as most ranked team and haven't fallen into the trap
of losing to a team thought of as well below our ability...actually haven't lost to anyone at all. :)

But it's still possible that we lose a game or even two (perish the thought) and still be very much in the hunt for a final-4 or even Natty.

The team is really coming along and Olivia is truly maturing into a potential superstar...that really aggressive move in the 2nd half; almost a scoop +1 and some of the defensive rebounds from behind w/o fouling showed how much she is profiting from CD's and Geno's coaching. Skies the limit.

Another player with a great deal of upside is Anna. Some of her passes are weird but as she becomes more comfortable with Geno's style and the way the team moves, she's going to be a huge contributor.

In my view, they are almost a very good team...It's not necessary to highlight the contribution of Danger, Walker, not even Kyla...terrif....expected in the first two, no surprise that Kyla's found a way to
contribute mightily...a real BB mind (coach in the making) and our youthful wild card Aubrey is something else.

What's holding this team back from potential all-world...our little problem... is our #2 Guard...I imagine in HS, everything revolved around her yet here she is, almost midway through her second season and she hasn't figured out how to be comfy in our offense and to contribute on every play. I know she has frustrated some fans but she is a monster talent and I'm hoping that she will come back from Christmas break with a renewed determination to excel. I remember Moriah had (what was for her) an ordinary Fall in her Soph or Junior year and was a monster after the break. And was very aware of her renewed concentration....spoke about it a lot.

And imagine; just imagine...if Evina was playing...It would be unfair.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great post, Tony!

Ducks, eagles, eagles, ducks.......just keep February 3 circled on the calendar, the prelude to the National championship game.

The UConn "Eagles" versus the Oregon Ducks!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know she has frustrated some fans but she is a monster talent and I'm hoping that she will come back from Christmas break with a renewed determination to excel. I remember Moriah had (what was for her) an ordinary Fall in her Soph or Junior year and was a monster after the break. And was very aware of her renewed concentration....spoke about it a lot.
I was just thinking about this the other day. And it was her Soph year. Seemed like a brand new player after Christmas break that year.

Reaction Score
By the way, every win this year has been by double digits. Yes, in a couple of games it has been close in the fourth quarter; but those tests of the team’s resiliency have been met big time.

I’ve had this team #1 from Day 1. I was the (1) in the first Boneyard top 25. It’s true we lost two great players from a really good team that almost went all the way with two starters going on one and a half wheels each. But, hey, everybody else lost somebody good also. And nobody, but nobody replaces graduated great players with new great players better than Geno and company.

That’s my story and I’m “stickin” with it!

Reaction Score
Tony
Allow me to highlight 3 of your main points that are undeniable.
We've played at least as difficult as schedule as most ranked team and haven't fallen into the trap
of losing to a team thought of as well below our ability...actually haven't lost to anyone at all. :)

But it's still possible that we lose a game or even two (perish the thought) and still be very much in the hunt for a final-4 or even Natty.

The team is really coming along and Olivia is truly maturing into a potential superstar...that really aggressive move in the 2nd half; almost a scoop +1 and some of the defensive rebounds from behind w/o fouling showed how much she is profiting from CD's and Geno's coaching. Skies the limit.

Another player with a great deal of upside is Anna. Some of her passes are weird but as she becomes more comfortable with Geno's style and the way the team moves, she's going to be a huge contributor.

In my view, they are almost a very good team...It's not necessary to highlight the contribution of Danger, Walker, not even Kyla...terrif....expected in the first two, no surprise that Kyla's found a way to
contribute mightily...a real BB mind (coach in the making) and our youthful wild card Aubrey is something else.

What's holding this team back from potential all-world...our little problem... is our #2 Guard...I imagine in HS, everything revolved around her yet here she is, almost midway through her second season and she hasn't figured out how to be comfy in our offense and to contribute on every play. I know she has frustrated some fans but she is a monster talent and I'm hoping that she will come back from Christmas break with a renewed determination to excel. I remember Moriah had (what was for her) an ordinary Fall in her Soph or Junior year and was a monster after the break. And was very aware of her renewed concentration....spoke about it a lot.

And imagine; just imagine...if Evina was playing...It would be unfair.
“Weird passes?” I just thought she could make passes other players couldn’t.

Reaction Score
It is nice to hear something somewhat positive about UConn from someone who is normally Mr. Doom and Gloom.

The unexpected pieces have to be Kyla and Molly. The pass that Kyla made to Ono for a layup was absolutely astounding

Reaction Score
Well a few months ago many fans were concerned about UConn and Geno recruiting. Many thought UConn was not going to be a top 5 team this season. Many thought UConn would lose 5-7 games. Many wondered who would start. Many focused on all the top players going elsewhere instead of coming to UConn. Many thought UConn was in trouble this season and maybe wouldnt get past the first round of the NCAAs. Now look at us.

The team is developing very fast and is now ranked number 1. Many of our games have been on the road. I heard and read everything about how UConn isnt as good as past number 1 teams and how UConn hasnt played any really good teams yet and how UConn shouldnt be the number 1 team in WCBB. Well I differ from those comments and those of you who have been on the boards for the past 20+ years know I try to remain positive enthusiastic and unbeat all the time. Well you look at who UConn has played and some of the analysis other Boneyards have posted and you know what....UConn has played tuffer teams overall then most other teams.

UConn has developed into a very very good team. Just look at em. We were missing a force underneath last season and we lacked height. Now we have ONO, a force and we've seen signs of her becoming dominate. She was a top 5 player coming out of HS. If fact 4 of our starters were top 5 out of HS which means you can count on them when the going gets tuff. We have two very very good guards who are still improving. We have Megan imo a 1st team AA. How many other teams have that? How many other teams have 4 players who can put up 20 pts at any time? How many other teams have underclassman that can play like UConn's underclassman? What we have is a solid cohesive team that can perform at the highest level and they do it together. With that said we have flaws which come with youth and inexperience but we have gamers who in crucial situations in a game can excel.

Comparing this UConn team to Stewies team is not real. Stewies team was one that you see very seldom. However compare this UConn team to all the other teams in WCBB and you know what? We're pretty good. Our defense has improved and is getting better but we're not there yet. We have great outside shooters and a great shot blocker who has learned how not to get into foul trouble and their not there yet. Alot of early and preseason questions have been answered and some fans still have their doubts and thats ok.

I see things differently then most. I see a NC every year and I see undefeated seasons almost every year. An ole saying "You shoot for the moon, and if you miss you end up with the stars" The reason we are so good is because of Geno. His mentality and attitude is contagious. His recruiting qualifications to play for him are in resume form. He is looking for a certain type player and each recuit must meet his standard qualifications. Everybody on this UConn team is on the same page. You play by Genos rules or you dont play. You can call it tuff love and its really discipline but thats what makes UConn great and thats what attracts the great ones to come to UConn. The great ones come here to get better to be great to win NC's. Genos results are mindboggleing. He continues to win and set records with his teams every year. His teams are feared by all even if they wont admit it. Before the game is played UConn is already in their heads. Everybody in the world who follows WBB knows the name Geno. Just like everybody who follows baseball knows the name "Babe". No last name needed for either. Geno has the ability to maintain his teams greatness as players come and player graduate. He doesnt win all the time but he wins enough to continue to be the program every other team aspires to be. Some coaches have a great season of two, but non maintain the longivtiity that Geno has at UConn.

So here we are in December undefeated and ranked number 1 in the country...again. Just when others thought UConn would have a down year we're number 1 again. That says somethin. How does Geno continue to do it? IMO its his love for what he does. Its his short term and long term goals every year. His ability to look at his team as it is and to be able to make it as he sees it in the future. Youve heard me say this before...there are two kinds of people in the world...those who think they can and those who think they cant..and theyre both right. Well when recruiting your looking for values, your looking for team players because at this level everybody is good and at UConn everybody is really really good.

So what makes UConn so different? You can define the recruits Geno goes after as eagles. You can work with eagles and make them great. Some get it quicker then others and thats ok so long as they dont disrupt the team. Eagles compete with each other and strive to follow the leader. However you cant take a duck and make them an eagle. Geno looks for eagles and he gets most of them.. You surround eagles with eagles and youve got a great team that pulls together. You surround an eagle with ducks and youve got........ That begin said teh strength of teh team is each individual member and the strength of each memeber is teh T.E.A.M Together Everyone Acheives More.

Its the holiday season and God Bless you all. This is kinda long so let me end on this note. Sucess is like anything worthwhile. It is the price you pay in advance to belong to this UConn team. Belonging has a price. You have to pay the price everyday to win and you have to pay the price to get to the point where success is possible most important you must pay the price to stay there.

With the few words remaining in the universe, Tony, I suggest that this season is analogous to the season when Stewie (Tuck, MoJ) graduated/left. Then the team with "only" 'Pheesa and Lou (undersized team with a short bench) was predicted to lose those 7-8 games. Well, during the regular season they lost NONE. Remember the scare we got at FSU at the beginning of the season? It appeared that the naysayers were in the ascent. But they weren't right. We had a great year, and may this one be as good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As of today - UConn, Oregon State and UCLA are the only 3 top 10 teams that have not played another top 10 team yet. Thanks Lo Trader.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but I guess I'm wondering who all these "many" people are? UConn started the year ranked #4/5--meaning the "experts" expected UConn to get back to the Final Four going into the season.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
@Tonyc One salient point that will add a log to your fire. The great unopened package that is Aubrey. I've heard a couple of coaches say, "In March, there are no freshmen." With the grueling January/February schedule and all the opportunity to grow, I am very excited to see this lady blossom into a powerful force. My prediction that come February she will be a dynamo off the bench; both an offensive and defensive spark of energy that ignites runs to bury the opposition.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but I guess I'm wondering who all these "many" people are? UConn started the year ranked #4/5--meaning the "experts" expected UConn to get back to the Final Four going into the season.
Not everyone thinks UConn should be so highly ranked. Several power rankings and other analyses have put them in the 6-8 range.

There was an interview with Chris Daily after the ND game and she was asked something like, “How have you been so successful in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year?”. She laughed out loud. “Rebuilding, really? That’s not how we’re thinking of this year”, she replied.

Team’s got a bit of a chip on its shoulder and I, for one, am glad.

Reaction Score
“Weird passes?” I just thought she could make passes other players couldn’t.
I agree. I love watching her passing! Very tricky and surprising, but notably the recipient typically handles the ball in stride. So she really is playing to make the pass that is productive.

Reaction Score
I'm very pleased with these early season wins but I'll be beyond impressed if UConn gets by Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina unscathed................if they can accomplish that then nobody can deny them the number one ranking.......

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not everyone thinks UConn should be so highly ranked. Several power rankings and other analyses have put them in the 6-8 range.

There was an interview with Chris Daily after the ND game and she was asked something like, “How have you been so successful in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year?”. She laughed out loud. “Rebuilding, really? That’s not how we’re thinking of this year”, she replied.

Team’s got a bit of a chip on its shoulder and I, for one, am glad.

Fair enough, though given that UConn is the only team in the nation with two #1 prospects on their team, (and two other starters ranked in the top 5), I think any "rebuilding" analysis was pretty lame. That being said, the leap forwards this year from both Walker and ONO have been very impressive and perhaps unpredicted.

I think the only sure-fire prospect coming into this season was Oregon, followed closely by Baylor (though Brown and Jackson were huge losses) and Stanford (lost their best player but returned nearly everyone else plus #1 recruiting class). Everything else was kind of a crap shoot, but given UConn's history and pedigree, I think putting them in the top 4 was a pretty easy choice.

Reaction Score
I could see Olivia continue her upward arc, Christyn hit a groove, Megan continue what she's doing, Crystal continue what she's doing, Aubrey settle in, Kyla, Molly and Anna continue what they're doing, the team get on a roll, cop an attitude, and run away with the whole ball of wax this year.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
IDK Tony, My assessment is we are a Top 10 team yes...Top 5 team more players need to emerge...No.1 in rank in AP world only...End of season No.1 seed is possible...Need a lot more consistency and more execution...lots of individual performances carrying the day not cohesive full team execution...Optimistically hoping team finds identity and grows in maturity over January and February...Happy New Year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom