NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NOW can we talk starting lineup? (Merged thread)

Who will the 5th starter be?

• Westbrook

• Adebayo

• Makurat

• Camara

• Griffin

• Irwin

• Bent

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Why do some of you think Westbrook will get a waiver?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Isn’t Adebayo a rebounder? She isn’t tiny. Anyway, the size thing isn’t an issue with 97% of our opponents and if ONO continues to develop, size is no issue at all. If Westbrook isn’t eligible, the scoring is more the unknown than the size. We have no idea how the new guards will handle college ball and we just graduated 40 points a game.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
If Westbrook is eligible next season, 2019-2020, it looks something like this:

PG: CD Bent
G: Westbrook Makurat
W: Williams Griffin
PF: Walker Adebayo Irwin
C: ONO Camara

The positions are interchangeable so in practice it will look different. For example, we know Williams can play the two or the point, and Westbrook of course can play the point. Potentially a deep team although positions, minutes, etc. will all get sorted out in practice. Let`s see how Makurat and Griffin adjust to WCBB.

If Westbrook plays in the 2020-2021 season, Bueckers and Muhl replace CD and Bent and the backups at PF and C are gone.

Could be wrong, but I would be surprised if UConn adds any more transfers at the current time. Against bigger teams, Adebayo will have to be a factor, and presumably Geno thinks she will be. Also worth noting that other players like Walker and Williams rebound well for their size. But it looks to be a talented roster capable of being a top level team and other teams, big or small, will have their own concerns trying to match up and keep up. Also worth noting that McGowan, Brown, Gustafson, Anigwe, and the ND bigs have all graduated, so the upper level teams may look different (less imposing) size wise.

The main recruiting priority at the current time is depth up front for the 2020-2021 season. A freshman coming in would have an opportunity for playing time and Walker would be a senior at that point.

Any way you look at it, UConn has had an enormously successful April and May. Despite the loss of Lou and Napheesa, the future looks bright!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The way Geno and staff coaches there is less emphasis on POSITIONS! They all can pass, shoot, rebound, etc. which is what makes UCONN so hard to defend! Granted a 6'4" girl like ONO will be depended on to get the majority of rebounds, and CW for example will take a bunch of 3's, but their rotating and speed/quickness at all postions will drive our opponents crazy! Their offense is based on reading and reacting so normal plays can't be used in scouting vs the Huskies!

Reaction Score
I think everyone is underestimating Ania Makurat’s ability! She has been playing
pro ball. She is definitely not a neophyte and is not going to be intimidated. She has been well coached and will pick up Geno’s offense and defense quickly.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t go so far as to undefeated, but should definitely be compete with Baylor, Oregon, etc. If 5 top-5 recruits can’t compete with anyone it’s either coaching (which it isn’t) lack of development (which it isn’t) or poor rankings. I will say Sabally and Hebard were grossly underrated.
Agree. Both will be very good. IF EW can play, she’ll need to learn the system and fit in to get the right results. Keeping my fingers crossed she gets that chance.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Come on - you didn't think I'd let this pass without putting a new poll on here!! :D

Who do you think? Again assuming the other 4 spots are locked up by Danger, Williams, Walker and ONO...

Reaction Score
Isn’t Adebayo a rebounder? She isn’t tiny. Anyway, the size thing isn’t an issue with 97% of our opponents and if ONO continues to develop, size is no issue at all. If Westbrook isn’t eligible, the scoring is more the unknown than the size. We have no idea how the new guards will handle college ball and we just graduated 40 points a game.
Yes, but the other 3% we meet in th F2F where size does matter.

Reaction Score
They still need a post for next year. I do not want Irwin playing 15 minutes because ONO gets in foul trouble.

I don’t think Geno recruited transfer Evelyn Adebayo to sit on the bench for the entire game.

I do not think he recruited her to play back-up center either. If they want to run they need to rebound. Last year rebounding was a big problem...a line-up of 4 guards and a power forward could get killed on the boards.

@bantamlaker simply replied to your primary question with another alternative. I agree with his comment, IMO between Adebayo, Irwin and Camara (Adebayo being first off bench...unless she's also in foul trouble) would more than likely share those 15 minutes you speak of.

From videos I have seen of Adebayo, she seems very capable at grabbing defensive rebounds (based on her stats, it's her specialty, 285 Def to 57 Off). What makes you believe Geno did not recruit Adebayo just for this reason we're talking about? On a Geno's team, I always hear about interchangeable players that can play multiple positions.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm still holding out hope that Batouly Camara recovers from her injuries and is able to provide meaningful minutes in her last year. Do I expect it, no, but I'm hopeful. If she's half the player that she was at Kentucky, she would help with rebounding. Team appears to have enough scorers, just need some players that will be physical down low and don't let teams get 2nd and 3rd chance scoring opportunities.

Reaction Score
I would move Williams to the wing instead of Westbrook. That would help to solve Williams defensive issues as well. Williams is a better shooter and Westbrook is quicker and better off the dribble.
Totally agree!

Reaction Score
A month ago, I thought Aubrey would be a starter, at least for much of the season. When we got Makurat, I thought she would be the starter. Now, I think Westbrook will be the starter--assuming Evina has immediate eligibility.

The HoopGurlz rankings in the starting lineup could be: #3, #1, #2, #1, #5. That's elite-level talent!
And don't forget Ono was a #1 before her injury.

Reaction Score
That's what Adebayo is for. Still not convinced we are done recruiting for the team that will be on the floor come this November.

Geno said not to worry about next year

Reaction Score
I could name quite a few coaching changes that have not equaled immediate eligibility. Quite a few players from Ole Miss last season. While there is a good chance, it is far from definite. Clay Kallam always says “If she’s rich, she will be playing next season” in regards to a transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I still don't think Geno is done recruiting for 19-20 season yet. A foreign player or a graduate transfer with size to pair along with Olivia on the front line is still needed.
Starters:
ONO
Player X
Walker
CW
CD III
Rotation :
Camara (4/5)
Adebayo/Irwin (4)
Griffin (3)
Makurat (2)
Westbrook /Bent(1)

Reaction Score
I still don't think Geno is done recruiting for 19-20 season yet. A foreign player or a graduate transfer with size to pair along with Olivia on the front line is still needed.
Starters:
ONO
Player X
Walker
CW
CD III
Rotation :
Camara (4/5)
Adebayo/Irwin (4)
Griffin (3)
Makurat (2)
Westbrook /Bent(1)
If you think Westbrook came to UConn to come off the bench you have lost your mind

Reaction Score
If Westbrook is granted the waiver, there is no way she is coming off the bench. Geno has talked about putting the 5 best players on the court, especially with their recent lack of height.
Unfortunately, Megan will continue to remain playing the 4 if Evina plays. Megan will be a wing player at the next level, so hopefully she can work on making her 3s more consistent, and working on her handle when driving the ball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom