November UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

November UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sluconn - I've neglected 2023 recruits.............is this recruit old news?

Me likey, but not over much. She starts her shot real low, and as you move up in level that can be an issue if your release isn't lightning quick

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Me likey, but not over much. She starts her shot real low, and as you move up in level that can be an issue if your release isn't lightning quick

Jayda Johnson – 2023 – Connecticut – Wiry and agile in the backcourt…Individual skills are there…Sharp passing takes care of teammates…Can create off the dribble…Low release on her jumper at this point…Finishes well on the interior…Quick hands and feet defensively…Plays with energy

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does Geno ever red-shirt anyone (other than transfers? If so, Gabriel probably should.
The only uninjured player I can remember 'redshirting' at Uconn was Jessica Moore in 2000-01 class on a team that was absolutely loaded (just checked and the media guide actually lists it as medical as well.) A few players have had medical issues that kept them off the court at the start of a season and could have joined the team later in the season but chose to not come back until the next year - Heather Buck being the one I can think of.

Redshirting healthy players in WCBB just isn't much of a thing - not many schools use the 15 scholarships allowed each year so it isn't 'needed'.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jayda Johnson – 2023 – Connecticut – Wiry and agile in the backcourt…Individual skills are there…Sharp passing takes care of teammates…Can create off the dribble…Low release on her jumper at this point…Finishes well on the interior…Quick hands and feet defensively…Plays with energy

I see others have noticed as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She is very raw and would only have 1 year behind ONO. I doubt she would be in the top 10 in 2020-2021. Then she might start for 2 or 3 years.
Redshirting Piath is an interesting idea that would be dependent on a number of factors. First and foremost, would she even be receptive to it? I know Louisville is doing it and I believe Amihere is being redshirted at SC for medical reasons, but kids want to be part of the team and play. When you’re redshirted you become a practice player who doesn’t travel with the team for road games. So tomorrow, for instance, Evina will be watching UConn’s game at tOSU in Storrs. That can’t be a lot of fun.

The second issue, in my mind, is will UConn need her next season? While UConn will be loaded with talented guards, wings and small forward type players, the graduation of Kyla, Touly & Evelyn seriously depletes the roster of players capable of banging in the paint. So the Huskies could clearly use another Big in the rotation to spell Liv & Megan.

Lastly, how much better does Piath get between now and her first game next year at UConn? Specifically, can she be counted on to come off the bench if Liv gets into foul trouble or just needs a break? She doesn’t have to be Liv, but if Piath can, at a minimum, provide a defensive presence in the paint and rebound, that would be invaluable to a UConn team that will otherwise be loaded next season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am confused by this red shirt talk. I think Geno views (regardless of his public assessment) Piath as a quality backup to Liv, What is wrong with that?

If DeBerry is more of a wing player, she might move into the starting position but even so, Geno will be looking to always upgrade the talent at every position so tossing the can down the road does not change the fact that she may always be a backup unless she herself pushes herself into the starting position

And strategic RS is just not a good look for a program imho. It points to poor planning and except under very unique circumstances should not be used.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's new to me and this board I believe. Do you know her?

no................ just happened to run across a mention of her............always fun to see locals that have some talent............can't say she's UConn good but she clearly has some ability and a fearless attitude........

Reaction Score
Redshirting Piath is an interesting idea that would be dependent on a number of factors. First and foremost, would she even be receptive to it? I know Louisville is doing it and I believe Amihere is being redshirted at SC for medical reasons, but kids want to be part of the team and play. When you’re redshirted you become a practice player who doesn’t travel with the team for road games. So tomorrow, for instance, Evina will be watching UConn’s game at tOSU in Storrs. That can’t be a lot of fun.

The second issue, in my mind, is will UConn need her next season? While UConn will be loaded with talented guards, wings and small forward type players, the graduation of Kyla, Touly & Evelyn seriously depletes the roster of players capable of banging in the paint. So the Huskies could clearly use another Big in the rotation to spell Liv & Megan.

Lastly, how much better does Piath get between now and her first game next year at UConn? Specifically, can she be counted on to come off the bench if Liv gets into foul trouble or just needs a break? She doesn’t have to be Liv, but if Piath can, at a minimum, provide a defensive presence in the paint and rebound, that would be invaluable to a UConn team that will otherwise be loaded next season.
Actually, redshirt players can travel to away games, whereas transfers who have to sit out a year (Evina), can not (unless they pay for their own travel, which usually happens during NCAA tourney time). If you recall, Jessica Moore used to travel with the Huskies when she redshirted years ago.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Amihere isn't being redshirted. She's on minutes restriction. She plays in games but only for 3-4 minutes a quarter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amihere isn't being redshirted. She's on minutes restriction. She plays in games but only for 3-4 minutes a quarter.
Thanks for the correction. Not sure where I got the idea she was a medical redshirt.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why is there question about Piath redshirting??
talk.gif

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why is there question about Piath redshirting??
I know, right?
It is kinda funny/entertaining how a whole lot of Keyboard Coaches (I love that term) here can pick the starting 5, recruit, play (or not play) the bench, hold pressers, etc. better than Geno but now ponder whether or not a student-athlete that is still not even enrolled yet should be redshirted for her freshman season. Unbelievable.
This idea should keep this thread going for the rest of the month.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amihere is a RS Freshmen because she started school in January. She graduated early from high school after she hurt her knee.
Thanks for jogging my memory. I thought I had seen some reference to Amihere as a redshirt. But I incorrectly assumed that designation was for “medical” reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom