November Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

November Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I asked this as a general question, and I was referred here.

Are we actively recruiting either Mikaylah Williams or Judea Watkins?

Reaction Score
Who would you rather have in '23 and why?
  1. Mikaylah Williams or Judea Watkins (SG)
  2. Madison Booker or Chloe Kitts (SF)
  3. Delaney Thomas or Cierra Toomey (PF)
  4. Breya Cunningham or Aliyah De Rosario (C)
  5. Ashlynn Shade or Kamorea Arnold (PG)
I realize UCONN will likely not have roster spots for 5 players in '23 but don't let that stop you.
I do not following recruiting enough to have super detailed, factual responses but I’ll have at it anyways for fun
1. M Williams, I liked the way she played on 3 v 3. For some reason I just don’t really care for the way Watkins plays, I’m not into volume shooters. (Haven’t watched much so no one take what I’m saying too seriously)
2. Don’t really know much about Kitts so I’ll go with Booker.
3. Toomey seems to be most universally wanted on the boneyard so I’ll trust my peers
4. Cunningham, she seems like she has a better work ethic and could reach her potential a lot sooner
5. Shade because she’s taller

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I asked this as a general question, and I was referred here.

Are we actively recruiting either Mikaylah Williams or Judea Watkins?
UCONN is/was recruiting both player.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I realize UCONN will likely not have roster spots for 5 players in '23 but don't let that stop you.
I think that for choices such as these, a major consideration should be how enthusiastic the recruit is about UConn vs. other schools. In any of these cases, if one person says that she has been watching UConn on TV since she was 6 and has wanted to go there since she was 10, while the alternative choice is ho-hum about UConn, that should count for a lot. And I think it does.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that for choices such as these, a major consideration should be how enthusiastic the recruit is about UConn vs. other schools. In any of these cases, if one person says that she has been watching UConn on TV since she was 6 and has wanted to go there since she was 10, while the alternative choice is ho-hum about UConn, that should count for a lot. And I think it does.
That's actually a good point (enthusiasm for UCONN) for example, it is my understanding that Ashlynn Shade has made "multiple" unofficial to Lady Vols already. Madison Booker on the other hand called two coaches for advice prior to her U16 USA basketball trials. One of those coaches was Geno and the other was Nikki McCray prior to her stepping down at MSU. Arnold came to a Scrimage and Toomey said she will definitely visiting UCONN and said things got real for her once UCONN offered. Cunningham and Watkins are of course West Coast kids and Cunningham has a HS teammate and has already visited Oregon. Delaney Thomas helped moved Azzi into her dorm room in late June.

Reaction Score
I’m down with 1. Williams and hoping she can be a scoring PG like Bueckers. 2. Kitts 3. Toomey for her multidimensional game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
1) I have and will continue to voice my preference for Watkins. However, if UConn wants to go toward Williams I ain't mad one bit

2) Again, Kitts is nice, but Booker just, to me, screams playa more.

3) Toomey. See above.

4) Cunningham. Del Rosario just has too many areas to improve. Starting with her motor and her learning to use her height and strength to dominate for long stretches.

5) Too close to call. My coin flip just landed on its edge.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. Williams
2. Booker
3. Both. Too good to pass up. Athletic, versatile players are becoming more appealing to the staff.
4. Neither. The Huskies are good up front for a year or two.
5. Shade but Arnold is a nice fall back if Shade wants to be a Vol.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

1. Williams. I liked her game in the 3x3 tourney. She looks like an absolute stud, especially on offense.

2. Booker. I know more about her, but I like that she is athletic and could be a defensive stopper.

3. Toomey. She seems like the prototype stretch 4. Long, shooter, shot blocker, seems like a great kid. But I also like Azzi's former teammate.

4. Cunningham. Strong and more fit, though a little shorter.

5. Shade. Could be a prolific scorer. KK looks really good, fast and skilled, but short.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think Shade and Arnold are an either/or because Shade is not a PG, imo. In this scenario Shade/Williams is a better question.

Reaction Score
1. Williams
2. Booker
3. Both. Too good to pass up. Athletic, versatile players are becoming more appealing to the staff.
4. Neither. The Huskies are good up front for a year or two.
5. Shade but Arnold is a nice fall back if Shade wants to be a Vol.
Arnold is better than Shade. Shade will be a vol and regret it in regards to basketball.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't think Shade and Arnold are an either/or because Shade is not a PG, imo. In this scenario Shade/Williams is a better question.
In that case Williams and Watkins.

Reaction Score
We get Arnold, Toomey, booker and Kitts and find a true “5” Watkins stays on the west coast possibly UCLA with Rice and Jada Williams. Shade mistakenly goes to rocky top and M. Williams stay close to home.

Reaction Score
1. Williams
2. Booker
3. Toomey
4. Cunningham
5. Shade

Reaction Score
Many of the projections of needs and potential starters down the road is complicated by a number of talented players already here or on their way at most positions. They might start if they turn out to be great, or out of the rotation if they are somewhat diassapointing because there are other really good options.

There is one position, however, where the landscape is much easier to read, and that is point guard. When Paige and Nika arrived in the same year, we didn't need another one in the next two recruiting classes. The 23 class would be ideal and by the 24 class is a must, probably not for just one but two.

Obviously Arnold could fill the bill in 23, apprentice for one year and take over the next. Like some of the previous posters I don't know if I would call Shade a point guard, so my main question would be if we can't get Arnold, is there a good plan B? If we don't get one in 23 we can do it in 24, but that would be pushing a freshmen into a very prominent role from the get-go, and risking we don't get one of our prime choices that year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hey...what about the wonderkid from Europe,,,have we determined whether she is a 2023'er?
Described as the best 15 year old in the world.
Juste Jocyte is playing pro. I think she is an unpaid amateur, but am unsure. She turns 16 this month. Somewhere she is listed as class of 2023, but age-wise could be 2024 or even 2025, as Europeans tend to complete secondary school at age 19. As a reminder, she was born in the U.S. She grew up in Lithuania and is playing in France, I believe.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
What's in my basket? Glad you brought this back to life. Simple for me, I would love to have Toomey and Shade 1a&1b. I would then wait till 2024 and make a mad rush for Olivia Olson. Yes this would lean out the bench a bit but with our 2022's coming I can live with it and see how the field shapes up during and after this season, then make a new shopping list.

Reaction Score
1:mikaylah is a good player she win the mvp of 3×3 but Hailey van lith also win it in a team with paige boston ) look at hee know she's not top 10 sophomore juju is the real deal shes the best
2:Im not a fan of Chloe , she's the type of sabrina Clarck ,who score + 30 its boring for me .. Madison is great love her game
3:ciera thomy over any one
4:breya is a Boston version 2 love her a true post
5: I don't know I never watched shade I know she's a good defender but arlond is a beast

Reaction Score
Of the choices, Toomey is the most likely to sign.
Thomas mentioned UConn is her dream school but does she have an offer? Her close ties with Azzi help. I’m hopeful that Booker signs as well. Does anyone know if Briggs has an offer? She and Hildalgo seem the most likely to go to UConn.

Getting Williams out of Louisiana, now that Mulkey is there, will be difficult. So I don’t expect her to go to UConn.
Watkins and Cunningham seem to be inclined to stay in California.
Shade has taken two unofficials to Tennessee but has not made a trip to Storrs, not a good sign

Reaction Score
We get Arnold, Toomey, booker and Kitts and find a true “5” Watkins stays on the west coast possibly UCLA with Rice and Jada Williams. Shade mistakenly goes to rocky top and M. Williams stay close to home.
I'd "settle" for that........now go make it happen......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Starting things off, we look at a player who carries a reputation as a nationally recognized name, and rightfully so, Zamareya Jones. She’s an incredibly smart, quick, unselfish point guard prospect with crafty ball-handling, sharp vision, and the ability to score the ball in a variety of different ways. Jones is literally able to breakdown any opponent in her pathway, able to make one decisive move or put defenders in a blender with a series of advanced dribbles, and touches the paint at a nonstop rate—where she’s a strong finisher and elite playmaker. She clearly possesses a special instinct for the game on both ends of the floor. Jones is also a menace defensively, rebounds her position well, and naturally leads by example in all areas. Next in her development process is working to become a more consistent three-point shooter, as it would somehow make her even more unstoppable. Coach Nazario on Jones: “Zamareya is a great point guard. Top in her class. Continues to show and prove herself as a high-major player. Plays with a high motor. She displays ball-handling ability and one or two-dribble pull-up. Plays big and long defensively, and is very active in transition. Killer offensively in transition.” Jones’ talent is glaringly obvious, and should have the attention of every program in the country over the foreseeable future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom