Notre Dame [will be] going down to Baylor! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame [will be] going down to Baylor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Davis will be Onchanwa, Agbuke on Braker, Robertson on McBride, Sims on Lloyd and Johnson on Allen. If Robertson struggles to contain McBride don't be surprised to see Small and Wright come into the game. They are both athletic enough to stick with McBride. IMO, Cave can outplay Braker and Reimer.

Cave, who was not even ranked in the top 100 last year, had 18 points and 9 rebounds today. Davis, ranked 52, had 20 points and 8 rebounds. Not bad for a couple of players that most predicted to be non-factors this year.
If, Robertson struggles ??????? Only, If...do you mean, WHEN

Reaction Score
Fair enough. UCONN didn't play its' A game but BYU certainly did. Honestly, this UCONN team has yet to put together a full 40 minute game in the tourney so far. They are certainly due, and the NC game would be a great time to do it...

St Joe's? UCONN shot over 55% for each half and shot 50% from 3 each half.

UCONN is a juggernaut. So is ND. Of course anything can happen with kids - but both these undefeated teams are still juggernauts.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
St Joe's? UCONN shot over 55% for each half and shot 50% from 3 each half.

UCONN is a juggernaut. So is ND. Of course anything can happen with kids - but both these undefeated teams are still juggernauts.
Actually, with 10 minutes left in the game UCONN was up by 38. They ended winning by 39. That means UCONN beat SJU by 1 point over the final 10 minutes. That's what I mean by "not putting together a complete 40 minute game". Of course it was a blowout. Of course the game was never in doubt, but whether it's lacking the killer instinct, or losing focus, it's something that's been pointed out with regards to this team...

Reaction Score
Actually, with 10 minutes left in the game UCONN was up by 38. They ended winning by 39. That means UCONN beat SJU by 1 point over the final 10 minutes. That's what I mean by "not putting together a complete 40 minute game". Of course it was a blowout. Of course the game was never in doubt, but whether it's lacking the killer instinct, or losing focus, it's something that's been pointed out with regards to this team...

We can agree to disagree. Your disregard of our bench getting quite a few minutes in a complete blowout is imo way too much of a stretch to say / imply UCONN hasn't played 40 minutes. The definition of mine is that we blew them out - and played extemely well in both halves as evidenced by the efficiency and the terrific defense. If they kept it even with our bench (2 subs in at once which we rarely do unless game is well in hand) and walkons and tainting that by saying it wasn't a complete game- I disagree. I especially disagree if you are trying to imply in any manner this team doesn't have the killer instinct. I hope that isn't what you are saying. . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Notre Dame will beat Baylor. I got a feeling it will not only be close, but that the pressure in the game playing at home is going to work against them. This isn't anti Notre Dame- I got a feeling they won't make it to Nashville. I could be wrong. But that's what I think.
You wish and so do I...But, one thing for sure is Kim Mulky is not going to let ND dominate the game, it's probably going to be a tough fight in the lane, and the game will be down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Both teams have the talent, this game will be won by coaching. Mulkey vs Muffet, I'm giving a slight edge to Mulkey in this one. Baylor has handled adversity this year, ND has not been challenged.

The BYU game was the best thing that could have happened for UCONN in the tournament. Being down most of the first half and not panicking.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Baylor penetrates how foul s will be called. Sims will get her points. Davis is tuff inside. Baylor is playing well however ND has great chemistry. ND will need to be in foul trouble and Baylor will have to shoot the ball very well. It should be a good game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree. Your disregard of our bench getting quite a few minutes in a complete blowout is imo way too much of a stretch to say / imply UCONN hasn't played 40 minutes. The definition of mine is that we blew them out - and played extemely well in both halves as evidenced by the efficiency and the terrific defense. If they kept it even with our bench (2 subs in at once which we rarely do unless game is well in hand) and walkons and tainting that by saying it wasn't a complete game- I disagree. I especially disagree if you are trying to imply in any manner this team doesn't have the killer instinct. I hope that isn't what you are saying. . .
Um, the bench was only in for the last 2 minutes of the game, no more than that. And you mean to tell me that even with Saniya and Breanna in there, BYU should be able to play us even? I guess you can disagree with facts. Doesn't make it right. :confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

You have one tough definition of a full 40 minutes, one that I don't think any team has met in the tournament, including Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but Baylor isn't going away in this game. Baylor has already played 40 minutes against a better team, then any team Notre Dame has played. Having been in a battle with UConn, they won't be intimidated by the crowd, or Notre Dame, Sims could lead Baylor past Notre Dame. The way fouls are called will be important in this game, Sims, Davis, Loyd, Achonwa, any of those players get in foul trouble will effect the outcome.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here is how I see the individual matchups

• Sims vs Lloyd = Advantage Sims
  • Davis vs Achonwa = I'll take Davis against anyone not named Stewart. I think Achonwa will have trouble with Davis's athleticism, quickness and determination. Davis may be the hardest worker I have ever seen on a basketball court. She just has a motor and determination second to none.
  • Johnson vs Allen = draw
  • Braker vs Agbuke = draw
  • McBride vs Robertson = advantage McBride

I also have confidence in the Baylor bench. Wright and Small bring nice size and athleticism on the wings and Cave and Higgins fill in nicely for Agbuke and Davis.

Reaction Score
Um, the bench was only in for the last 2 minutes of the game, no more than that. And you mean to tell me that even with Saniya and Breanna in there, BYU should be able to play us even? I guess you can disagree with facts. Doesn't make it right. :confused:

What does the BYU game have to do with the St Joes game we were discussing?

Secondly, you referred to the 10 mintue mark- at that time we have two bench players in. But when games are close we don't play two bench players at once for any significant time, do we? So you're counting a lineup we basically don't play?

Then Banks came in at 4:35 and Lawlor came in at 2:40 yet you referred to completely the last 10 minutes as some valid parameter - thus counting Stokes, CHong, and Banks for 4:35 and then counting Lawlor with the others for 2:40?

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
They can be. But they allowed over 60 points a game this year and 72 today.
Their seams to be some chinks- and they seam to get frustrated quickly when a few bad things happen. I like the way we handled the adversity at Baylor and yesterday. Very cool- communications. But we don't go at each other the way I've noticed some other teams, including ND occasionally.

Reaction Score
You have one tough definition of a full 40 minutes, one that I don't think any team has met in the tournament, including Notre Dame.

I agree. It looks liek an attempt just searichign to find anythign wrong
Here is how I see the individual matchups

• [ ]Sims vs Lloyd = Advantage Sims
    [ ]Davis vs Achonwa = I'll take Davis against anyone not named Stewart. I think Achonwa will have trouble with Davis's athleticism, quickness and determination. Davis may be the hardest worker I have ever seen on a basketball court. She just has a motor and determination second to none.
    [ ]Johnson vs Allen = draw
    [ ]Braker vs Agbuke = draw
    [ ]McBride vs Robertson = advantage McBride

I also have confidence in the Baylor bench. Wright and Small bring nice size and athleticism on the wings and Cave and Higgins fill in nicely for Agbuke and Davis.

You're taking Davis a frosh over Achonwa???? Really? LOL

IMO for your team-- Sims has to dominate so much that it gives an opportunity for your other players to shine. It's all on Sims.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree. It looks liek an attempt just searichign to find anythign wrong

You're taking Davis a frosh over Achonwa???? Really? LOL

IMO for your team-- Sims has to dominate so much that it gives an opportunity for your other players to shine. It's all on Sims.

Yes! Davis is no typical freshman and I pick her to outperform Achonwa. The good thing about this debate is that we find out tomorrow who is right.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In the last two games Achonwa has 13 TOs to 7 assists. That is an incredibly poor ratio for an experienced player.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Can Baylor beat ND - yes.

A hot Sims and Davis could be enough, especially if Baylor can lock down Achonwa and/ or lloyd.

Reaction Score
Can Baylor beat ND - yes.

A hot Sims and Davis could be enough, especially if Baylor can lock down Achonwa and/ or lloyd.

Davis head-to-head vs, Achonwa will get wiped off the court comparing one vs another. Yet if Sims can dominate the play then all players including Davis has a chance. Davis needs Sims.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
In the last two games Achonwa has 13 TOs to 7 assists. That is an incredibly poor ratio for an experienced player.

True, but how can you cite that without also mentioning that in those 2 games Achonwa is also 18/23 from the field (78%) for 48 points, with 18 boards and 6 blocks? I agree that's a lot of turnovers, but Achonwa has been on fire lately.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
True, but how can you cite that without also mentioning that in those 2 games Achonwa is also 18/23 from the field (78%) for 48 points, with 18 boards and 6 blocks? I agree that's a lot of turnovers, but Achonwa has been on fire lately.

Yes, she has been really hot. I am not disrespecting Achonwa at all as she is a tremendous player, but the previous comment was about a freshman going against an upperclassman and my comment was meant to state that upperclassmen should not be throwing the ball away that much.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Davis head-to-head vs, Achonwa will get wiped off the court comparing one vs another. Yet if Sims can dominate the play then all players including Davis has a chance. Davis needs Sims.

And Achonwa doesn't need McBride and Lloyd? You have to make a better argument than that.

I love this time of year. We get to actually see how it plays out instead of talking about it all year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't know about hot from the field when they are 90% layups.

Hey, she's making them, better than so many other players. We see so many missed layups.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I really like Davis.
UConn type of player
Some of the best instincts I've ever seen.
But she is a lot smaller than Natalie, even if more nimble, more athletic, more BB smarts.
Achonwa will score some and her pick and roll has become a thing of beauty.
The question is how much Davis' speed and guile upset her (and ND).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I really like Davis.
UConn type of player
Some of the best instincts I've ever seen.
But she is a lot smaller than Natalie, even if more nimble, more athletic, more BB smarts.
Achonwa will score some and her pick and roll has become a thing of beauty.
The question is how much Davis' speed and guile upset her (and ND).

Baylor has had a difficult time handling the back-door cuts by the Notre Dame players in the past.

But Mulkey is 4-0 against ND.

bilde.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member