Notre Dame struggling in Cancun (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame struggling in Cancun (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Jordy G said, "What does that say about Geno?" it says that despite those folks transferring out of the program or those Z leaving early...still Geno managed to get to 12 consecutive final fours.... How many other coaches have managed to do that? Uhhh...that would be none!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Emphasis on "fairly" :rolleyes:
USF didn't have a great tourney either, so it's hard to say. Is USF better than the mid-majors that beat N.D.? I think they are roughly on a par, maybe 20-35 nationally.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
USF didn't have a great tourney either, so it's hard to say. Is USF better than the mid-majors that beat N.D.? I think they are roughly on a par, maybe 20-35 nationally.
USF lost to both of the mid-majors that beat ND.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Part of the problem was kids sitting thought it was there time to play and MM didnt play them even with 30+ pt leads. The team ran the show knowing they werent going to sit. So knowing they werent playing with a 30 pt lead except maybe for 2 minutes and seeing kids transferring in and freshman coming in and getting more playtime the others transfered. It comes down to what has been said on this board for a long time. Youve got to find playtime for your non starters or they will leave. Now maybe they arent good enough to start but with a big lead you can play them. I remember when Tenn got the 6 pack and they didnt know Parker was in the wings. Parker committed and the 6 pack began to transfer out. Similar to what happened at ND. Kids on the team didnt know transfers were coming in and they would continue to sit, so they left. They saw freshman come in who were getting more playtime then those already there so they left. With UConns class this season and for the next 2 seasons imo playtime will need to be found for all of them if you want them to stay. Spacing of recruits helps that. Big recruiting classes sometimes arent good if there isnt enough playtime for everybody. Yes kids need time to develop and learn the system but how much time can you as a coach allow and how much as a player can you wait knowing youve got 4 years?????

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but their fan base is deep, wide, and loyal . They travel well, show up, and stay loyal through thick and thin. As a Stanford fan with a multi-sport rivalry against the University of Dead Fake Girlfriends, I love to hate the Domers, but I do respect the heck out of them.

That said, there isn't a team (other than U$C) I'm happier to see lose. =D

University of Dead Fake Girlfriends, I love it. Dislike The Domers intensely.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Might as well pin this thread to the top..... they likely will take a few more lumps before the end of the calendar year :cool:

Reaction Score
For me its very simplistic...
I like to see them lose...to us...splendid...to the greater world: better yet.
The feeling is a little like I had watching the futility at UTenn last season...
Interestingly, I'm enjoying see UTenn show some life and spunk and I have a good vibe with regard their new coach.

People here have long memories about the UTenn issues which were discussed earlier in the week.
But I remember much unpleasantness with regard the Irish; mainly Muffet; sexist, hogwash with regard Geno, refusing to applaud for Stewie, coaching her team in the fine art of taking fake charges and drawing imaginary fouls... arrogant displays by her players, not discouraged. They were not gracious winners...and they won some terrific, highly contested games. No complaints about that.

But I continue to sprout a theory...and I'm not going to relinguish it until definitively proven wrong:

Muffet is the empress without clothes.

The real power behind the team is/was Niele Ivey
No Niele Ivey equals weak recruiting and weak guard play.

I can see a mediocre or worse Notre Dame woman's BB for 2 or 3 years.
Then they'll figure it out and bring her back to be head coach.
And she left to set up that scenario.

You bring up a good point about Ivy not being at ND any longer. I hadn’t given that fact any thought.

Reaction Score
When freshmen arrive (anywhere) the vast majority find out early in practice whether or not they are ready for major minutes. If the better players are upperclassmen they know their time will come but if there are other freshmen and sophomores ahead of them in terms of talent and performance they are faced with deciding among more work, a change of school or learning to sit.
Players today use social media, etc to create relationships with players all over the country and if they are contemplating a move they can discover other options a lot easier than players could find them in the past.
IMO transfers are going to increase. I am in favor of waiving the 1 year wait but only for players who have completed 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom