Notre Dame Loses - who is the #1 seed now? (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Loses - who is the #1 seed now? (Merged thread)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also, I anticipate Oregon losing at least 1 more game.

I think w/ the schedule they have remaining, they can afford to lose 1 for sure and maybe 2 without getting punished. They will also certainly be picking up some quality wins along the way.

Reaction Score
If Louisville wins out (of course a big if), they should go to Chicago. ND can’t be in the same bracket, so would need to go elsewhere. Would the NCAA do that?
NCAA wants to fill the stands and make money. ND will stay in Chicago region I would imagine unless they continue to drop games. As much as this board thinks the world hates UConn the best business decision would be to put UConn & ND in different brackets for a potetional FF matchup. It’s all about the $$ to them, they’ve made that very clear.

Reaction Score
I think w/ the schedule they have remaining, they can afford to lose 1 for sure and maybe 2 without getting punished. They will also certainly be picking up some quality wins along the way.
I think with 3 losses, UConn leaps them. Their losses wouldn’t be of the same caliber as UConns, unless ND keeps losing, then that win becomes less weighted.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think with 3 losses, UConn leaps them. Their losses wouldn’t be of the same caliber as UConns, unless ND keeps losing, then that win becomes less weighted.
This is not necessarily true. The committee cares a lot more about quality wins than quality losses, and even a 3-loss Oregon team will have more quality wins than UConn will.

Reaction Score
I meant no real challenger for the rest of the season, so both

MSSU/UConn's fates are now in other team's hands.

Agreed on no challenges left really. SC is playing well but it’s a mismatch. UConn fates are in their own hands. MS St won’t leap them.

Reaction Score
This is not necessarily true. The committee cares a lot more about quality wins than quality losses, and even a 3-loss Oregon team will have more quality wins than UConn will.
Yes but if UConn continues to click like last game the eye test will come into play. Advantage UConn. It will be interesting for sure.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
ND losing in any sport never gets old, and their men's BB team is having a very rough go of it as well. On top of that, South Bend Central HS continues to lose the Indiana State HS Championship game to the Hickory Huskers every time the movie "Hoosiers" is on. Dark days in South Bend.

Reaction Score
What if Stanford beats Oregon Sunday and again in the Pac 12 tournament, with no other losses? Does that earn a 1 seed? A potential wrench in the plans.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes but if UConn continues to click like last game the eye test will come into play. Advantage UConn. It will be interesting for sure.
Doubtful. Fans tend to overstate the "eye test" as a factor. That will never trump a qualitative difference in resume strength, and it won't mitigate the fact that SC and UCF are the only remaining top-50 teams on the schedule.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What if Stanford beats Oregon Sunday and again in the Pac 12 tournament, with no other losses? Does that earn a 1 seed? A potential wrench in the plans.

They have some ground to make up, but it's possible. In addition if they won out that would also include Oregon St. and Arizona St., plus whoever they faced in the conference tourney. Tennessee in OOC lost a lot of its luster, but the win over Baylor has improved as the season has progressed.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. Fans tend to overstate the "eye test" as a factor. That will never trump a qualitative difference in resume strength, and it won't mitigate the fact that SC and UCF are the only remaining top-50 teams on the schedule.
It’s UConn dude. When it comes to seeding, the fact we have that guy named Geno & possibly 2 All-Americans will carry some weight. Don’t worry, I’ll be back to say I told you so after it happens ;)

Reaction Score
My guess on the committee rankings:
  1. Lou
  2. Bay
  3. Ore
  4. UConn
  5. ND
  6. Miss St
  7. Stan
  8. who the hell knows

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Then I hope we do not win out, a number 2 seed at a region not Albany is preferable to a number 1 seed at Albany!
Sort of 6 of 1, half dozen of another. Normally it's possible to look at teams that have good or bad matchups against each other and say "I hope we get a team who matches up poorly with us". But this year, every team has struggled, even against teams who aren't that good. It's part of the joy of parity!!

Plebe

Reaction Score
My guess on the committee rankings:
  1. Lou
  2. Bay
  3. Ore
  4. UConn
  5. ND
  6. Miss St
  7. Stan
  8. who the hell knows
I agree with these rankings, and I believe #8 is Marquette.

Reaction Score
I agree with these rankings, and I believe #8 is Marquette.

I dunno. The 3 best teams that Marquette played were all losses. Their resume is not strong.

Reaction Score
I dunno. The 3 best teams that Marquette played were all losses. Their resume is not strong.
Marquette lives by the3 point shot, if they are hitting from outside they can beat anybody. I would certainly think they are a 2 seed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So there will be a minor celebration in the house tonight with ND's loss.

As to the committee, who nows and right now I don't care.

Reaction Score
Marquette lives by the3 point shot, if they are hitting from outside they can beat anybody.

I dont think that's how the committee evaluates teams.

Reaction Score
This. I don’t think they have a victory over a team in the top 25, and they may not get one. Close losses to good teams are helpful in Massey, but not to the committee.

Plebe

Reaction Score

True, but neither is their competition for that #8 spot. Oregon State, NC State, Maryland, Syracuse and South Carolina have similar weaknesses in their resumes.

Reaction Score
True, but neither is their competition for that #8 spot. Oregon State, NC State, Maryland, Syracuse and South Carolina have similar weaknesses in their resumes.

Hence my who-the-hell-knows comment. The gap between 7 and 8 is LARGE.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hence my who-the-hell-knows comment. The gap between 7 and 8 is LARGE.
Indeed.
And even if it goes to Marquette for now, It's likely to be very temporary, because most of the other teams mentioned have much higher ceilings based on remaining schedule. Beating Butler, Villanova and maybe DePaul in the BE tournament won't likely be enough to hang on to the final #2 seed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Oh please. Stop this nonsense.
She had UConn at #4 this week.
Why do you continue to tell posters to stop when they post something with which you don't agree. Who are you to call something nonsense? Because she has them at number four does not mean she has grown any fonder of UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom