Notre Dame Loses - who is the #1 seed now? (Merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Loses - who is the #1 seed now? (Merged thread)

Reaction Score
And here's our answer:

Charlie Creme is so smart. Every time a team loses he says, "oops I need to change my mind".

I've often said, a third grader could do his job just as efficiently. Just look at the polls on Tuesday morning and go with top 4 as #1 seeds 5 through 8 as #2 seeds, so on and so on.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme is so smart. Every time a team loses he says, "oops I need to change my mind".

I've often said, a third grader could do his job just as efficiently. Just look at the polls on Tuesday morning and go with top 4 as #1 seeds 5 through 8 as #2 seeds, so on and so on.
Well, a loss can hurt a team's resume and thereby lower their seeding. Just as a win can help a team's resume and improve their seeding. How else is it supposed to work?

Bracketology and the polls are not the same. Sometimes they coincide, sometimes they don't. Stanford is currently #11 in both polls but #7 in his bracketology ranking. Just to cite one example.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I doubt that.

Reaction Score
As long as UCONN takes care of South Carolina we should be the 1 seed. The other thing to keep in mind is that Louisville and ND could most likely meet again. I could easily see Louisville beating ND on a neutral court... ND could have 4 losses going into the tournament to UCONN's 2. I bet Charlie Creme feels foolish now saying that ND's 1 seed was not in question....

Reaction Score
Creme is not trying to project how the seedings will look at the end of the sesaon. He is predicting how they would look if the season ended right now. It is not a listing of the best teams, but the most deserving teams. This is why Marquette will be hard pressed to earn a 2 seed, and why Notre Dame will likely get the benefit of the doubt on their losses.

Reaction Score
Creme is not trying to project how the seedings will look at the end of the sesaon. He is predicting how they would look if the season ended right now. It is not a listing of the best teams, but the most deserving teams. This is why Marquette will be hard pressed to earn a 2 seed, and why Notre Dame will likely get the benefit of the doubt on their losses.
OK... but it's so hard to stomach "benefit of the doubt on their losses." When they lost, their opponents were ranked as follows: UCONN #2 (OK..."good loss"), UNC UnRanked!!!, and Miami #25. UCONN's losses are to the teams currently ranked #1 and #2 and they were #2 and #3 when UCONN played them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They have maybe 3 or 4 more wins and 3 or maybe 4 more losses, so they won't be the #8.

Maybe #8 seed in the SEC Tournament ? :rolleyes:

Lemme stop picking. on TN ... just looked at the ACC standings and Duke is currently in 12th place

Reaction Score
Louisville will be the 1 in Chicago as of now but I think ND beats them in the conference tournament. UConn back in drivers seat. SEC very weak & MSU no real challengers.
If thats MSU's downfall then how can UCONN be in the "Drivers seat" playing in the AAC?

Reaction Score
NCAA wants to fill the stands and make money. ND will stay in Chicago region I would imagine unless they continue to drop games. As much as this board thinks the world hates UConn the best business decision would be to put UConn & ND in different brackets for a potetional FF matchup. It’s all about the $$ to them, they’ve made that very clear.

Didnt ND just get sent to Washington as a #1 seed last year? What money did they bring to the westcoast? ND being #2 in Albany is very possible.

Reaction Score
OK... but it's so hard to stomach "benefit of the doubt on their losses." When they lost, their opponents were ranked as follows: UCONN #2 (OK..."good loss"), UNC UnRanked!!!, and Miami #25. UCONN's losses are to the teams currently ranked #1 and #2 and they were #2 and #3 when UCONN played them.

... they were #8 and #3 when UCONN played them.

Reaction Score
If thats MSU's downfall then how can UCONN be in the "Drivers seat" playing in the AAC?

UConn's resume has the win @ND. Miss St does not have anything comparable.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m guessing UConn is no longer a 2-seed. It does make Monday’s matchup with the Gamecocks that much more important.
I'm not sure about that. MSU only has 4 top-50 wins and their best win is Marquette (at home). UConn has 5 top-50 wins and their best win is Notre Dame (on the road). I think the edge goes to UConn, for now.

If both teams win out to finish the year I think it's a virtual toss up between the two, assuming Mississippi State has 3 wins over a good South Carolina team on its resume. I'd rather the committee reward UCONN with a 1 seed due to scheduling tougher OOC so that teams will be further incentivized to schedule good OOC games instead of loading up on cupcakes.

Reaction Score

I agree, anyone who would have ND seeded 5 with 3 losses over a host of teams with 1 loss is not an expert. In addition the 3 losses have been double digit to UConn at home, loss to unranked NC and loss to 25 ranked Miami.

Reaction Score
Watching ND this season it seemed obvious that they were not that solid. Or at least they looked like they could be beaten by quite a few teams under the right circumstances. What Uconn fans need to also understand is that the more ND loses the less impressive Uconn's win over them appears. Initially when it appeared that they were the top team a win over them counted quite a bit. Losing to Miami changes that. As I said it always appeared to me that they looked beatable by a lower than a top 5 team or a less than stellar effort by a a team closer to them in the rankings.

In fact what we might be seeing is the beginning of true WCBB parity, where the top few teams are no longer shoo in's. It appears that this year the results will depend on which teams are hot at the right time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

This is Creme's side by side analysis between UConn and Miss St. To be honest, I think Miss St should edge UConn by a hair (until we can show our stuff against SC) but ...

"Through Thursday's games, the Huskies get the nod as the fourth No. 1 seed by the narrowest of margins -- and there will be plenty of disagreement on social media. The NCAA selection committee might in fact place the Bulldogs ahead of the Huskies on Monday when it releases its first top-16 midseason reveal.

The Bulldogs have one fewer loss than UConn and, like the Huskies (whose losses were to Baylor and Louisville), their defeat was against a No. 1 seed (Oregon). Both have the same number of top-25 RPI wins (two) and top-50 wins (five). Both are unbeaten and in first place of their respective conferences (yes, Mississippi State's SEC lead is more impressive than UConn's in the American). The slight difference, and why the Huskies get the nod, comes down to schedule strength. UConn's is better in both nonconference strength and overall, and the difference is significant enough at this stage of the season to push the Huskies ahead of the Bulldogs."

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Maybe #8 seed in the SEC Tournament ? :rolleyes:

Lemme stop picking. on TN ... just looked at the ACC standings and Duke is currently in 12th place

PLEASE continue picking on TN. As we all know, TN will be at the big dance ONLY because they are TN, their win/loss record will not make a difference.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Watching ND this season it seemed obvious that they were not that solid. Or at least they looked like they could be beaten by quite a few teams under the right circumstances. What Uconn fans need to also understand is that the more ND loses the less impressive Uconn's win over them appears. Initially when it appeared that they were the top team a win over them counted quite a bit. Losing to Miami changes that. As I said it always appeared to me that they looked beatable by a lower than a top 5 team or a less than stellar effort by a a team closer to them in the rankings.

In fact what we might be seeing is the beginning of true WCBB parity, where the top few teams are no longer shoo in's. It appears that this year the results will depend on which teams are hot at the right time.

ND has possibly the worst depth in the countey. They dont rely on anyone off the bench and if a starter isnt "on" there isnt a suitable backup to help. Catch Arike on an off shooting night and pound the boards and you can win.

Reaction Score
Now isn't this kinda stuff a whole lot more fun/interesting than one or two undefeated's running the table.

Tournament starts in Round 1 this year instead of Round 3 or 4. And some of these conf tournaments are gonna be great watches.

The Cream, not Creme, will come to the top.

Game on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom