Notre Dame lamenting conference realignment - Hockey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame lamenting conference realignment - Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a day goes by without ND complaining about something. Yesterday it was Hockey East today it's the FB schedule the ACC provided.
http://irish.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/acc-scheduling-puts-irish-in-the-crosshairs/

"Three of the six opponents that face Notre Dame will be coming into their game with the Irish after an off week. That includes a November matchup against Boston College in Fenway Park and the Irish’s visit to Clemson, who will have nine days between their visit from Notre Dame and their Thursday night trip to Louisville. Wake Forest also gets an extra week to prepare for their visit to South Bend."
THAT is ND's identity.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="CTGoonie, post: 1209642, member: 764"]Not a day goes by without ND complaining about something. Yesterday it was Hockey East today it's the FB schedule the ACC provided.
http://irish.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/acc-scheduling-puts-irish-in-the-crosshairs/

"Three of the six opponents that face Notre Dame will be coming into their game with the Irish after an off week. That includes a November matchup against Boston College in Fenway Park and the Irish’s visit to Clemson, who will have nine days between their visit from Notre Dame and their Thursday night trip to Louisville. Wake Forest also gets an extra week to prepare for their visit to South Bend."[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, ND really doesn't want to be part of any conference for any sport. It reluctantly and begrudgingly belongs to Hockey East for its hockey program and the ACC for other sports but football.

That is why you see ND complaining about treatment in both conferences. It doesn't like conferences, any conferences, period. Neither does its alumni and fan base. ND just doesn't like placing its sports programs under any outside (conference) control.

ND views conferences, again in my opinion, as necessary evils at worst and temporary business arrangements at best.

Reaction Score
One would think the almighty ND would complain that it has to play Wake and UVA rather than Florida State.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, ND really doesn't want to be part of any conference for any sport. It reluctantly and begrudgingly belongs to Hockey East for its hockey program and the ACC for other sports but football.

That is why you see ND complaining about treatment in both conferences. It doesn't like conferences, any conferences, period. Neither does its alumni and fan base. ND just doesn't like placing its sports programs under any outside (conference) control.

ND views conferences, again in my opinion, as necessary evils at worst and temporary business arrangements at best.

That is absolute BS. ND sure enjoyed riding the Big East coattails. You think Mr. Mock Turtleneck would have had any success if the hoops team was independent?!

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]In my opinion, ND really doesn't want to be part of any conference for any sport. It reluctantly and begrudgingly belongs to Hockey East for its hockey program and the ACC for other sports but football.
That is why you see ND complaining about treatment in both conferences. It doesn't like conferences, any conferences, period. Neither does its alumni and fan base. ND just doesn't like placing its sports programs under any outside (conference) control. ND views conferences, again in my opinion, as necessary evils at worst and temporary business arrangements at best.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to accommodate you. ND remains independent and plays the other, remaining independents...in all sports. Done and done.

Reaction Score
That is absolute BS. ND sure enjoyed riding the Big East coattails. You think Mr. Mock Turtleneck would have had any success if the hoops team was independent?!

I don't think that Brey wears that mock turtleneck any longer....

Not many ND fans lament the passing of the old Big East Conference. Some do, but not many.

ND had a great run in the Seventies and Eighties as a basketball independent. It had to put its program in the Big East, sure, but nobody at ND really liked the idea that much. Better success, yes. Membership? Not that much.

You guys post threads about ND here a good bit. I am just trying to post how ND views things but will end my thread posts here. Take care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not many ND fans lament the passing of the old Big East Conference. Some do, but not many.

ND had a great run in the Seventies and Eighties as a basketball independent. It had to put its program in the Big East, sure, but nobody at ND really liked the idea that much. Better success, yes. Membership? Not that much.

You guys post threads about ND here a good bit. I am just trying to post how ND views things but will end my thread posts here. Take care.
ND was a member of the Big East. ND left the Big East to join the ACC. Some fans you know may not like ND being a member of a conference but ND sure enjoys it.

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
I don't think that Brey wears that mock turtleneck any longer....

And just like that, he was gone!

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
The posters who said earlier that no one wanted Notre Dame is totally spot on -- it totally effed the makeup of the league. Notre Dame has a great arena and is definitely a program on the rise, but we didn't want them.

I have to say -- all my friends have been thrilled with UConn in Hockey East. They've been competitive (I knew they would be, but they've taken down some really good teams -- Lowell in particular) and they're only going to get better (unfortunately).

I haven't hated a fan base other than BU as much as I did at the game earlier this season at the XL Center. It was loud and roudy and we lost and it sucked really bad and it was fun as hell. I love that hate.

I couldn't make it up to Boston for the game up at Conte but by all accounts it was one of the best atmospheres of the year. After the game there was a really uncomfortable love-hate fest on Twitter between my friends and the UConn guys about how much we hate you but how fun it was BUT DON'T FORGET WE HATE YOU but it was fun. But you suck and we hate you.

Once UConn has its on campus arena we're going to be looking back at UConn as the perfect addition to the conference. I hate you guys a lot and that's pretty goshdarn fun.

Also, relegating Notre Dame to the NCHC and adding Quinnipiac would make me a happy camper. The NCHC is going to need a new team when ASU joins up :shrug:

Reaction Score
I think most ND fans believe that Hockey's impact on Notre Dame's decision on joining a conference is about the same as women's interhall softball. That is, it doesn't come into the conversation. With respect to the big 10, I don't want to be there, it would perpetuate the idea that we are a Midwestern program competing with Michigan and Wisconsin and not the USC's, LSU's and FSU's of the world. That said, if conference realignment continues on its current path, it might be something that would make sense for us, so I would never rule it out. But with all that said, and considering our lack of success in any sport over the past 20 years, why does anyone care if we do or don't join a conference.

Reaction Score
Because Notre Dame is the one kid in a large family that requires special accommodations 50% of the time.

We don't require special accommodations, but people seem willing to give them to us. Why shouldn't we take advantage of accommodations that people make available. If the big 10 offers UConn an opportunity to join, would you decline the invitation if Houston or SMU said your leaving would ruin the AAC. My guess is that you would jump at the opportunity.

Reaction Score
We don't require special accommodations, but people seem willing to give them to us.

In large part because it keeps the Department of Justice and nosy congressmen at bay.

(I'm baiting @TerryD here)

Reaction Score
Odd that the one person I feel I have to respond to in this thread is named Irishfan.

"considering our lack of success in any sport over the past 20 years . . ."

Notre Dame Athletics over the past 20 years:

Football - 4 BCS appearances
M Basketball - *sigh* (at least we're doing OK this year)
W Basketball - 5 Final Fours, 1 leading to a National Championship
M Soccer - 1 National Championship
W Soccer - 8 Finals, 3 leading to National Championships
M Lacrosse - 3 Final Fours
W Lacrosse - 1 Final Four
Baseball - 1 College World Series
Softball - 16 consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tourney
M Ice Hockey - 2 Frozen Fours
Fencing - 3 National Championships

By the way, if I got to make a decision on ND and Conference Realignment, I would want UConn and ND to finish off the B1G at 16 schools. We have a "national" student body, but the vast majority come from either the Midwest or Northeast. Most of our alumni are in the Midwest or Northeast. The B1G would have a presence from DC to New England. It's perfect for us if only our older alumni didn't hold such a grudge against the B1G (and really, I doubt the students/administrations of the school in the southern half ACC were any more inclined to help a Catholic school around 1910 than were their counterparts in the B1G).

Reaction Score
Odd that the one person I feel I have to respond to in this thread is named Irishfan.

"considering our lack of success in any sport over the past 20 years . . ."

Notre Dame Athletics over the past 20 years:

Football - 4 BCS appearances
M Basketball - *sigh* (at least we're doing OK this year)
W Basketball - 5 Final Fours, 1 leading to a National Championship
M Soccer - 1 National Championship
W Soccer - 8 Finals, 3 leading to National Championships
M Lacrosse - 3 Final Fours
W Lacrosse - 1 Final Four
Baseball - 1 College World Series
Softball - 16 consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tourney
M Ice Hockey - 2 Frozen Fours
Fencing - 3 National Championships

By the way, if I got to make a decision on ND and Conference Realignment, I would want UConn and ND to finish off the B1G at 16 schools. We have a "national" student body, but the vast majority come from either the Midwest or Northeast. Most of our alumni are in the Midwest or Northeast. The B1G would have a presence from DC to New England. It's perfect for us if only our older alumni didn't hold such a grudge against the B1G (and really, I doubt the students/administrations of the school in the southern half ACC were any more inclined to help a Catholic school around 1910 than were their counterparts in the B1G).

I certainly didn't intend to offend with my comment, but conversations about conference realignment includes football and little else. And as an independent, winning a national championship is the only goal. Losing a BCS game is nothing to hang your hat on. Even the NC game (when you get crushed). While we have had success in some other sports, national championships in soccer, fencing and women's basketball are great, but they don't mean a lot when deciding which conference to join. As an older alumnus I probably do hold a grudge, as we were still looking for an invite as recently as the 60's. So while not totally out of the question, a move to the big 10 is not something that I would like to see happen.

Reaction Score
By the way, if I got to make a decision on ND and Conference Realignment, I would want UConn and ND to finish off the B1G at 16 schools.

I think @TerryD just revoked your Irish green card.

Come back @TerryD. You're letting me have too much fun.

Reaction Score

ND, UCONN, Rutty, Mary-land, State Penn, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern

Theeeee Ohio State, Meechigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska

Crossover games:

MSU-UM
UCONN-UMinn
Purdue-Indiana
PSU-UN-L
Northwestern-Illini
UMD-OSU
RU-Wisky
Domers-Hawkeyes

The teams that ND have been most comfortable with plus the Eastern schools would be a natural division for them. That leaves the Big 2 in the other division. Ten conference games in total.

That is...if it actually happens, which we knew is very unlikely.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
We don't require special accommodations, but people seem willing to give them to us. Why shouldn't we take advantage of accommodations that people make available

Saying ND does not demand special accommodation (see the old Big E and the current ACC) is like saying that Mark Emmert does not hold a grudge against UConn. Actions speak louder than words.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't pile on ND. Its athletics are good but not better than the other top programs. It clearly asks for and receives special accommodations. It's so easy to be a ND fan when the program gets a head start. Heck, if I didn't have a dog in the race, maybe I'd root for ND too. OK, let's not get crazy.

pj

Reaction Score
ND, UCONN, Rutty, Mary-land, State Penn, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern

Theeeee Ohio State, Meechigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska

Crossover games:

MSU-UM
UCONN-UMinn
Purdue-Indiana
PSU-UN-L
Northwestern-Illini
UMD-OSU
RU-Wisky
Domers-Hawkeyes

The teams that ND have been most comfortable with plus the Eastern schools would be a natural division for them. That leaves the Big 2 in the other division. Ten conference games in total.

That is...if it actually happens, which we knew is very unlikely.

Good plan. The western schools would like having Michigan and OSU on their side; the eastern schools would like having Notre Dame. Purdue, Northwestern, and Michigan State might not like it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We don't require special accommodations, but people seem willing to give them to us. Why shouldn't we take advantage of accommodations that people make available. If the big 10 offers UConn an opportunity to join, would you decline the invitation if Houston or SMU said your leaving would ruin the AAC. My guess is that you would jump at the opportunity.
I wish I could disagree with this post, but I can't. You guys are a parasite. The Big East elevated you MBB and WBB, you could have helped to stabilize it and you didn't. UConn athletics was hurt quite badly by that failure, so clearly I'm not a fan of the Irish. But, that said, you have no obligation to help the conferences that you are in, so I can't fault you for your pursuit of your won self interest, even though it was a contributing factor to the demise of the greatest MBB conference of all time.

Reaction Score
The B1G is about equal treatment for all conference members. Notre Dame, and Texas for that matter, have shown they have no intentions of being treated equally to anyone else. Both schools are cancers to any conference they are in and I hope the B1G stays far away from both schools for that reason.

Reaction Score
Good plan. The western schools would like having Michigan and OSU on their side; the eastern schools would like having Notre Dame. Purdue, Northwestern, and Michigan State might not like it.
The two Big Ten schools that have been the friendliest towards ND are Sparty and Purdue.

pj

Reaction Score
The two Big Ten schools that have been the friendliest towards ND are Sparty and Purdue.

Yes, I'm sure they'd like having Notre Dame and vice versa, but they might not be thrilled to lose Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois in exchange for UConn, Rutgers, PSU, Maryland. Purdue is located a mere 89 miles from the Univ of Illinois and 113 miles from Indiana University. They are 760 miles from Rutgers, 893 miles from UConn, and 635 miles from Maryland.

I think a pod format rather than a divisional format might be more likely:
- UConn, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State
- Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois
- Michigan State, Notre Dame, Purdue, Northwestern
- Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

This keeps ND with Purdue and Mich State, keeps Ohio State and Michigan together, and has more regional contiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom