Notre Dame AD Mum On Question Of Future ACC Support For UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame AD Mum On Question Of Future ACC Support For UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

- I did have a conversation with Jerome last summer as reported. I never disliked Jerome; I was just disappointed he did not achieve what he wanted to because he lost focus at times. Late nights before noon games are not a good combo.
- I never said my wife was at the meeting. We had a general social conversation with another couple at dinner who knew someone very well who was in the room. They really did not get into specifics other than she lectured ND and GT and made threats about leaving if she did not get her way on things. Next time I see them when I am in the Mid West I will try to get more details - but the details matter little -its the bad perception she left with the other Presidents that's all that matters. My wife just made a comment that they must have been insecure old white men uncomfortable with a powerful women - that was just a general comment.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
- We had a general social conversation with another couple at dinner who knew someone very well who was in the room. They really did not get into specifics other than she lectured ND and GT and made threats about leaving if she did not get her way on things.
Leaving what? The meeting or the conference?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Leaving what? The meeting or the conference?

To leave the conference of course. She threatened to finally accept that long standing SEC invite...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
To leave the conference of course. She threatened to finally accept that long standing SEC invite...
Of course.

I love you avatar btw. My wife is from Louisiana. I'm hoping she introduces me to her upon getting our SEC invite.

Reaction Score
Ah, the double hearsay source. Those are so hard to come by, being the holy grail of school girl gossip. Hate to say it Chief, but you do you realize how foolish that sounds, don't you?

I never said my wife was at the meeting. We had a general social conversation with another couple at dinner who knew someone very well who was in the room. They really did not get into specifics other than she lectured ND and GT and made threats about leaving if she did not get her way on things. Next time I see them when I am in the Mid West I will try to get more details - but the details matter little -its the bad perception she left with the other Presidents that's all that matters. My wife just made a comment that they must have been insecure old white men uncomfortable with a powerful women - that was just a general comment.

C

Chief00

Ah, the double hearsay source. Those are so hard to come by, being the holy grail of school girl gossip. Hate to say it Chief, but you do you realize how foolish that sounds, don't you?

I did get a chance to talk to my source by phone yesterday on something else and I did mention the recent ND AD comments in the local papers and that was an entry to bringing up the Herbst story again. He did provide more details:
- It is not gender - the female South Florida Prez is well liked by her peers
- The thing that was really delussional to those in the room was Herbst lecturing ND about big time college football
- To some it seemed like she was talking with the comfort level that she thought she had a ticket to the ACC and basically they seemed like burning bridge parting shots
- She lectured them about their not taking the TV deal - granted she was right about that - but folks don't want to hear they were wrong - and their perspectives in retrospect is based on where they ended up - some don't think that was a bad move compared to where they are now.
- The Prez of GT and ND were priest who are used to someone talking more differential to them and it frankly took them by surprise how she talked to them and made others uncomfortable due to the situation. Regardless of how you feel about that - we have someone in charge that doesn't take the temperature in the room before she acts - so far that is not working very effectively for her.
- OK so there you have it - I could care less if you want to continue to live in denial or not - that's your choice.
- We have already missed some opportunities in part due to this act and you only get so many chances in life.

Reaction Score
If you're in a secular position the fact that you are a priest doesn't entitle you to any particular deference although good manners should always be in style. ND is a user and calling them out on it is simply telling the truth, nothing more. Who cares what GT thinks, anyway? Their athletic program consists of one BB team and an unsmiling coach, that's it. On this board, assume anything more than good second hand info. is very suspect and expect to get called on it. A personal "delusion" from me--the expression is "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less."

Reaction Score
So if the ACC took Louisville instead of Uconn because our president didn't talk nice enough to people ina meeting then that league is even dumber than I originally thought. Just preposterous.

Reaction Score
I did get a chance to talk to my source by phone yesterday on something else and I did mention the recent ND AD comments in the local papers and that was an entry to bringing up the Herbst story again. He did provide more details:
- The thing that was really delussional to those in the room was Herbst lecturing ND about big time college football
- To some it seemed like she was talking with the comfort level that she thought she had a ticket to the ACC and basically they seemed like burning bridge parting shots
- She lectured them about their not taking the TV deal - granted she was right about that - but folks don't want to hear they were wrong - and their perspectives in retrospect is based on where they ended up - some don't think that was a bad move compared to where they are now.
- The Prez of GT and ND were priest who are used to someone talking more differential to them and it frankly took them by surprise how she talked to them and made others uncomfortable due to the situation. Regardless of how you feel about that - we have someone in charge that doesn't take the temperature in the room before she acts - so far that is not working very effectively for her.
- OK so there you have it - I could care less if you want to continue to live in denial or not - that's your choice.
- We have already missed some opportunities in part due to this act and you only get so many chances in life.

Your friend may be talking out his butt. Ever consider that? I mean, basic facts here are wrong. For instance, DeGioia is not a priest. He comes out of faculty ranks.

Reaction Score
If you're in a secular position the fact that you are a priest doesn't entitle you to any particular deference although good manners should always be in style. ND is a user and calling them out on it is simply telling the truth, nothing more. Who cares what GT thinks, anyway? Their athletic program consists of one BB team and an unsmiling coach, that's it. On this board, assume anything more than good second hand info. is very suspect and expect to get called on it. A personal "delusion" from me--the expression is "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less."

GT's prez isn't even a priest.

Reaction Score
At the AD/Prez level of these schools you will have people that have worked at multiple Universities/Colleges. These people know each other. That is the problem. They don't know how is friend or foe. Unless the person is your grade school buddy or family you should be careful of what you say and who you say it in front of.

Reaction Score
At the AD/Prez level of these schools you will have people that have worked at multiple Universities/Colleges. These people know each other. That is the problem. They don't know how is friend or foe. Unless the person is your grade school buddy or family you should be careful of what you say and who you say it in front of.

This may be true BUT--let's state for the record some facts that we know of. One, the Prez of Gtown is actually a G'town homer (student/faculty member/Prez.) I agree with you that this is unusual, but there it is.

Second, whatever Herbst said (or didn't say!) pales in comparison to the types of things that Cuse and Pitt said about Father Leahy. Some of which were reported on this very board by higher-ups at those schools who spoke to him directly at a public function. Where are Pitt and Syracuse today? Heck, Nebraska's Prez. had it out with Michigan and Wisky's Prez. before they entered the B1G. Granted, Wisky's Prez was leaving for Amherst Coll. before voting after the tiff, but let's get rel here. Personalities are not the driving force, because if they were, the insults directed from Cuse to BC would make a difference. The wars between Carolina and FSU would make a difference. The stuff about G'Town's Prez and his Catholic cohort not seeing eye to eye would make a difference.

Reaction Score
If Herbst broke bad or talked down to her peers that actually raises my opinion of her. That shows me the fight that is needed - the same kind of fight Jim Calhoun had when he was breaking up the John Thompson-Rollie Massimino-Lou Carnesecca (and Boeheim) grip in the Big East.

Again, UConn is not trying to get into Augusta National. It's pretty well proven that playing nice gets you nowhere. Sue just needs to be a better general in organizing her non-academic resources in and outside of CT.

pj

Reaction Score
If Herbst broke bad or talked down to her peers that actually raises my opinion of her. That shows me the fight that is needed - the same kind of fight Jim Calhoun had when he was breaking up the John Thompson-Rollie Massimino-Lou Carnesecca (and Boeheim) grip in the Big East.

Again, UConn is not trying to get into Augusta National. It's pretty well proven that playing nice gets you nowhere. Sue just needs to be a better general in organizing her non-academic resources in and outside of CT.

Playing a**hole gets you nowhere. Playing nice may not push things forward but at least it doesn't push things backward. Playing competent would be helpful.

In business, you never assume a deal is done until it's closed. She had no reason to be arrogant and should have played poker, keeping cards close to the vest until she knew where she stood.

If things happened as Chief said, let's hope she learned. If she doesn't repeat the mistake then memories will fade,

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why in the world do we believe Chief? From what I can read he is completely full-of-. This is his exact quote:

I never said my wife was at the meeting. We had a general social conversation with another couple at dinner who knew someone very well who was in the room. They really did not get into specifics other than she lectured ND and GT and made threats about leaving if she did not get her way on things. Next time I see them when I am in the Mid West I will try to get more details - but the details matter little -its the bad perception she left with the other Presidents that's all that matters. My wife just made a comment that they must have been insecure old white men uncomfortable with a powerful women - that was just a general comment.

First, Chief wants us to believe that it is not the details that matter. That is convenient for someone who admits he doesn't have them, and is unlikely to ever have them - even third hand.

Then Chief wants us to know that it is the "perception" she left with the other Presidents is the big thing. How does he know this? Did he talk to Presidents that were in the room? Of course not, he heard it from another couple who heard it from someone else who was allegedly in the room. First, even if this other secret person exists, I could give have a what their perception is. Was it a DePaul rep who was irritated at all the football talk? Was it a Marquette rep who was upset about sitting at the end of the table, or a Cinci rep who just wants some attention? There are so many competing interests, ulterior motives and double-dealings in this conference that it really doesn't matter what they thought.

And of course, underpinning his entire post is the notion that we should trust his sources and believe that a woman who had the strategy and talent to lead herself to the corner office of one of the nations Top-20 public university's doesn't know how to navigate these types of meetings. I mean, really. So pardon me while I disregard Chief until he turns up an actual first hand account from a meeting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The president of Georgetown is concerned about professional decorum?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co.../georgetown-catholic-seven-tension/index.html

Reaction Score
As I imagine they are in the business world, these admin. meetings are cut throat. She may very well have blasted people. It would simply be par for the course. And nothing these admin's haven't ever seen before. Meetings are typically highly contentious.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually for the record, OH was once part of CT territory annex.

Maybe we can invite Case Western Reserve U. to intercede on our behalf. Their league would jump at us.

Reaction Score
Ocassionally, I wish that there wasn't just a "like" button, but a " right on, owned" button.

Why in the world do we believe Chief? From what I can read he is completely full-of-. This is his exact quote:

First, Chief wants us to believe that it is not the details that matter. That is convenient for someone who admits he doesn't have them, and is unlikely to ever have them - even third hand.

Then Chief wants us to know that it is the "perception" she left with the other Presidents is the big thing. How does he know this? Did he talk to Presidents that were in the room? Of course not, he heard it from another couple who heard it from someone else who was allegedly in the room. First, even if this other secret person exists, I could give have a what their perception is. Was it a DePaul rep who was irritated at all the football talk? Was it a Marquette rep who was upset about sitting at the end of the table, or a Cinci rep who just wants some attention? There are so many competing interests, ulterior motives and double-dealings in this conference that it really doesn't matter what they thought.

And of course, underpinning his entire post is the notion that we should trust his sources and believe that a woman who had the strategy and talent to lead herself to the corner office of one of the nations Top-20 public university's doesn't know how to navigate these types of meetings. I mean, really. So pardon me while I disregard Chief until he turns up an actual first hand account from a meeting.

Reaction Score
So if the ACC took Louisville instead of Uconn because our president didn't talk nice enough to people in a meeting then that league is even dumber than I originally thought. Just preposterous.

But it sounds totally believable to me. You have to keep your mouth shut until the deal is done. Shut up and smile is gender neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom