Notre Dame AD Mum On Question Of Future ACC Support For UConn | The Boneyard

Notre Dame AD Mum On Question Of Future ACC Support For UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday he “would not comment on hypotheticals” when asked if the university would someday support UConn’s candidacy to join the ACC.
“Twenty-eight years as an attorney has taught me never to [answer hypothetical question]. So I will pass on that hypothetical,” Swarbrick said.

Swarbrick also said he hasn’t heard whether the ACC plans to expand beyond the 15 teams it will have next season. It will remain a 15-team league after next season when Louisville replaces Maryland, who will join the Big Ten.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/notre-dame-ad-mum-on-question-of-future-acc-support-for-uconn/

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday he “would not comment on hypotheticals” when asked if the university would someday support UConn’s candidacy to join the ACC.
“Twenty-eight years as an attorney has taught me never to [answer hypothetical question]. So I will pass on that hypothetical,” Swarbrick said.

Swarbrick also said he hasn’t heard whether the ACC plans to expand beyond the 15 teams it will have next season. It will remain a 15-team league after next season when Louisville replaces Maryland, who will join the Big Ten.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/notre-dame-ad-mum-on-question-of-future-acc-support-for-uconn/
He also added that he was, and is, a colossal .

Reaction Score
Do you seriously think that the great ND would do anything other than nurse at its own teat? Have you noticed any other institutions showing particular support for UConn other than Tobacco Road schools? The reasons seem to vary so there isn't one in particular. Anyway, ND isn't doing anything that doesn't benefit ND--no favors for anyone else. If ACC loses other schools we may get votes from ND, SU, etc. but I doubt it otherwise.

Reaction Score
Last time we played them we kicked their , they want no part of us. Tell me have no tradition.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no scenario in which UConn gets invited to the ACC unless it is ravaged. Even two departures wouldn't leave enough support for UConn to get the Huskies in. It will never happen.

Reaction Score
The irony is that the ACC has become as much a fallback for UConn as UConn has for the ACC. The only way for the two to join forces is if and only if the ACC faces mulitple departures and the conference is in desperate need to replace them. At that point, lets hope UConn is included in the same movement as the above mentioned departures. The ACC is still dead man walking to me and when its all said and done would be only a slight upgrade to where we stand now. Seriously, I doubt very much that Wake Forest, in a new, beat down ACC, will be any better than SMU, Houston, or USF. Ditto for BC or Syracuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The irony is that the ACC has become as much a fallback for UConn as UConn has for the ACC. The only way for the two to join forces is if and only if the ACC faces mulitple departures and the conference is in desperate need to replace them. At that point, lets hope UConn is included in the same movement as the above mentioned departures. The ACC is still dead man walking to me and when its all said and done would be only a slight upgrade to where we stand now. Seriously, I doubt very much that Wake Forest, in a new, beat down ACC, will be any better than SMU, Houston, or USF. Ditto for BC or Syracuse.

Sheer lunacy.

Reaction Score
Sheer lunacy.
How so? The only way we go to the ACC is if the top programs leave. How is that lunacy? Its lunacy to think that after getting passed over twice, that UConn would get an invite to an ACC that looks like what it does now. So, if you take the bottom programs of the ACC, and put UConn in with them, we still lose in this realignment game of musical chairs.

The game here folks is Big 4 or bust. When the music stops, the gap between the 4th an 5th ranked conferences will be far wider than 5th and 8th. If, UConn joins a diluted ACC, it still won't make them a national player......and that is what I think we all should want UConn to be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no scenario in which UConn gets invited to the ACC unless it is ravaged. Even two departures wouldn't leave enough support for UConn to get the Huskies in. It will never happen.
So, and I already hate myself for asking, who are the two teams ahead of us, Nelson?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, and I already hate myself for asking, who are the two teams ahead of us, Nelson?

Depends on who leaves. Maybe the ACC stays at 12 if it is raided. BCU, Syracuse, Clemson, and FSU are solid "no's" and will be until the ACC is in shambles and they have no other choice.

Reaction Score
Interesting rumors out there about how the ACC is actually more solid that it is percevied. With the bump in money from adding ND, ESPN feels like that conference is happy for the most part. They think they may lose a couple of teams, but the big boys (FSU and UNC) are content for now. That remains to be seen, but what that could potentially mean is that the B!G is limited in who they could invite. I still believe UVA is a seriously considering the move, and this where UCONN could come in as #16. Clearly we are not the first or second choice for the B!G, but I don't believe Rutgers ever was either. If UVA agrees to leave, I actually think the odds are improving for UCONN to be selected.

I really think the ACC could lose 1-3 teams (1 to the B!G, 2 to the SEC) and then stabalize. Remember, ESPN has a lot to gain from the new SEC Network. I could see UVA/UCONN to the B!G, and Nc State/Virgina Tech to the SEC. They are more valuable in the SEC than the ACC. ESPN is then happy, they have a 16 team SEC, a 12 team ACC (they invite Cincinnati or USF) the B!G is at 16 (ESPN has very little role here). There is also more talk about the scheduling alliance between the Big 12 and the ACC. I really don't think the ACC teams want to even consider the Big 12 at this point, and the scheduling alliance shows the Big 12 realizes this.

Reaction Score
Depends on who leaves. Maybe the ACC stays at 12 if it is raided. BCU, Syracuse, Clemson, and FSU are solid "no's" and will be until the ACC is in shambles and they have no other choice.
Can someone refresh my memory as to why Cuse of all schools would vote 'No' to adding UConn? This baffles me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
same reason BC...don't want a large state school with better facilities and more financial resources competing in same markets

Reaction Score

Clemson jumps to the B12 the instant the conference loses more than 1 member.

It goes first, so that it won't be left out by some (rooster)-blocking. B12 will go to 14, and Clemson should always fear a FSU, Miami, GT, NC State scenario. Clemson is better than all but FSU, but in this game of musical chairs, nothing is assured. FSU knows it has a seat regardless. None of the other schools do. NC State and VT fit in with both the B12 and the SEC, so they will also stay put longer. But for schools like Miami and Clemson that have ONLY the B12 as possible landings, they will jump as soon as there's any movement.

Reaction Score
Clemson jumps to the B12 the instant the conference loses more than 1 member.

It goes first, so that it won't be left out by some (rooster)-blocking. B12 will go to 14, and Clemson should always fear a FSU, Miami, GT, NC State scenario. Clemson is better than all but FSU, but in this game of musical chairs, nothing is assured. FSU knows it has a seat regardless. None of the other schools do. NC State and VT fit in with both the B12 and the SEC, so they will also stay put longer. But for schools like Miami and Clemson that have ONLY the B12 as possible landings, they will jump as soon as there's any movement.

I don't know. Clemson is the most southern (culturally) of the ACC schools, when the FSU/Clemson to the b12 rumors were swirling Clemson's higher ups shot down the idea of moving to a non-southern conference pretty fast citing recruiting and culture concerns. The ACC is a poor fit for them, but the B12 is a horrendous fit for them is I believe the perceived mentality. I think unless FSU or UNC acts (in which case there is no conference left), Clemson sits. I guess if they feel like the B12 option closes to them they might go, but that would take a lot of movement. I'd think the B12 would probably go to 16 and take Clemson (and some other leftover Louisville, the U whoever) later on than leave behind such a potentially valuable property.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Clemson is the most southern (culturally) of the ACC schools, when the FSU/Clemson to the b12 rumors were swirling Clemson's higher ups shot down the idea of moving to a non-southern conference pretty fast citing recruiting and culture concerns. The ACC is a poor fit for them, but the B12 is a horrendous fit for them is I believe the perceived mentality. I think unless FSU or UNC acts (in which case there is no conference left), Clemson sits. I guess if they feel like the B12 option closes to them they might go, but that would take a lot of movement. I'd think the B12 would probably go to 16 and take Clemson (and some other leftover Louisville, the U whoever) later on than leave behind such a potentially valuable property.

I agree that it will take more than 1, and that's why I wrote about 2 moving. If GT and UVa go B1G, then clemson jumps to B12. It doesn't wait around to see what UNC and FSU do.

I also put no value on public comments, none whatsoever.

B12 is not going to 16, not if Texas can help it. Texas is fronting all this money to the B12 teams as it is now, and they will be even more unwilling in the future. It will try to get by with 12 or 14 teams. That's why Clemson can't hold out on how valuable it is. Clemson is no more valuable than Oklahoma, and we saw last year how little value Okie had to other conferences. I agree with you that it's a big plum, but it's not going to add money to Texas's pocket, and that's all that matters.

Reaction Score
I agree that it will take more than 1, and that's why I wrote about 2 moving. If GT and UVa go B1G, then clemson jumps to B12. It doesn't wait around to see what UNC and FSU do.

I also put no value on public comments, none whatsoever.

B12 is not going to 16, not if Texas can help it. Texas is fronting all this money to the B12 teams as it is now, and they will be even more unwilling in the future. It will try to get by with 12 or 14 teams. That's why Clemson can't hold out on how valuable it is. Clemson is no more valuable than Oklahoma, and we saw last year how little value Okie had to other conferences. I agree with you that it's a big plum, but it's not going to add money to Texas's pocket, and that's all that matters.

Texas doesn't even want to go above 10 because they want a direct path to the BCS playoff, so if we're at the 14 point I don't know what's happening with them including the effect of more teams on the pie pieces (I'd think it would depend on which teams). As to OU, I believe they were hamstrung by their little brother OK State. Wasn't that the story that the PAC and SEC balked at taking them because they didn't want their tag-a-longs? I am confident that if OU has no seat at the end someone pulls one up for them.

I see the potential (current big 5 conference) no seaters as:
ISU
Baylor
Wake
K State
Texas Tech
Cuse
Pitt
BCU
NC State

[Sizable gap]

Oklahoma St.
Miami
Louisville

[Sizable gap]
Va Tech
Duke
Kansas

Unless PAC teams come into play in which the pacific northwest second tier schools jump the line a bit.

I just can't see a Clemson, Oklahoma, FSU type programs as every being turned away from all options, just looking at some of the above options. Assuming there are only 60 programs left, they'd have to fall behind 8 of the above programs and that's a stretch to me. Even if G-tech and UVA left (and I don't think UVA will).

Reaction Score
Texas doesn't even want to go above 10 because they want a direct path to the BCS playoff, so if we're at the 14 point I don't know what's happening with them including the effect of more teams on the pie pieces (I'd think it would depend on which teams). As to OU, I believe they were hamstrung by their little brother OK State. Wasn't that the story that the PAC and SEC balked at taking them because they didn't want their tag-a-longs? I am confident that if OU has no seat at the end someone pulls one up for them.

I see the potential (current big 5 conference) no seaters as:
ISU
Baylor
Wake
K State
Texas Tech
Cuse
Pitt
BCU
NC State

[Sizable gap]

Oklahoma St.
Miami
Louisville

[Sizable gap]
Va Tech
Duke
Kansas

Unless PAC teams come into play in which the pacific northwest second tier schools jump the line a bit.

I just can't see a Clemson, Oklahoma, FSU type programs as every being turned away from all options, just looking at some of the above options. Assuming there are only 60 programs left, they'd have to fall behind 8 of the above programs and that's a stretch to me. Even if G-tech and UVA left (and I don't think UVA will).

I've agreed elsewhere that teams like Clemson are a lot more valuable (for the record, I never included FSU as a team that would ever be left out) than some of the ones on your list, but the problem is, a school like Clemson is never a candidate for the SEC or B1G. So even though they have a much better national image than, say, NC State (which is on your most endangered list), I'd much rather be NC State, since they can conceivably enter any of the 3 conferences looking at them: B1G w/ UNC, SEC or B12.

Reaction Score
I've agreed elsewhere that teams like Clemson are a lot more valuable (for the record, I never included FSU as a team that would ever be left out) than some of the ones on your list, but the problem is, a school like Clemson is never a candidate for the SEC or B1G. So even though they have a much better national image than, say, NC State (which is on your most endangered list), I'd much rather be NC State, since they can conceivably enter any of the 3 conferences looking at them: B1G w/ UNC, SEC or B12.

I think our only real difference of opinion is at what point at which the B12 stops being an option for Clemson. I guess I can see a point where it occurs, but it seems to me that a whole lot of teams would have to move first and even then they'd probably get some kind of first refusal type option like Louisville is going to take your spot right now if you don't move (and at this point the ACC is completely decimated).

Reaction Score
I think our only real difference of opinion is at what point at which the B12 stops being an option for Clemson. I guess I can see a point where it occurs, but it seems to me that a whole lot of teams would have to move first and even then they'd probably get some kind of first refusal type option like Louisville is going to take your spot right now if you don't move (and at this point the ACC is completely decimated).

Yes, I agree this is the only point of disagreement. Heh.

The thing I'd be worried about if I were Clemson would be Texas's attitude. If Clemson hitched its horses to FSU and FSU didn't move, what if the B12 shook things up by taking Miami, NC State and VT? Then FSU said, OK, no mas, we give up. Can we join with Clemson? Texas would say, you can join, Clemson can apply to join the SEC.

UConn, 2 or 3 years ago, had a pretty good hand. Now look where it is. Competing with Cincy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree this is the only point of disagreement. Heh.

The thing I'd be worried about if I were Clemson would be Texas's attitude. If Clemson hitched its horses to FSU and FSU didn't move, what if the B12 shook things up by taking Miami, NC State and VT? Then FSU said, OK, no mas, we give up. Can we join with Clemson? Texas would say, you can join, Clemson can apply to join the SEC.

UConn, 2 or 3 years ago, had a pretty good hand. Now look where it is. Competing with Cincy.

The rumor mill from the B12 suggests that they are interested in FSU and Miami, and are trying to avoid "southern" schools. Also, given WVU, VT, Louisville and Pitt would be the closest schools to their current footprint. I don't think they are looking at any school in the Carolinas or Georgia.

As for OU, they are probably as valuable on their own as any school in the ACC other than UNC. They have no chance of being left out. There won't be four "big" leagues unless they are close to 20 teams each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom