Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It appears that Notre Dame's problems with finishing games persist.

20-point lead after the 3rd quarter ends up as a 2-point win. ND outscored 26-8 in the final frame.

Still a win is a win and a split from these two games in Daytona is not so bad.
Congrats. What a difference a year and a new team makes - Dodson is putting up the kind of numbers we'd hoped from her from her three years in the Farm. Glad she's finally living up to her potential.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since Notre Dame women's basketball is no longer embarrassing (for now at least!), I've decided to end two seasons of mostly avoiding the Boneyard during WCBB season!

I'd like to write a little bit about each game, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss all things Irish including long-held and newly formed grievances. Please no in-game discussion that will get the thread locked, however.

To kick this off, I thought I'd start with posts recapping last season (yuck), analyzing the roster, and summarizing the three games that have happened so far.

Where we've been:
Notre Dame went 10-10 in 2020-2021 and failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament. The season began inauspiciously with an 86-85 loss at Ohio and more or less continued horribly from there. Against Ohio, an Irish team rendered shorthand by COVID-19 led 77-70 with 6 minutes to play but faltered down the stretch. Faltering down the stretch would come to define the 2020-2021 ND campaign.

Unlike the 2018 National Championship team that was fond of playing a horrible 2nd quarter and then storming back in the second half to win, last year's Irish regularly built double-digit leads only to squander them in the fourth quarter. ND's own media guide tells the tale of woe:

"At Boston College, Notre Dame was up 60-48 with 3:29 remaining, but lost 64-61. At North Carolina, Notre Dame was up 70-63 with 4:36 left, but dropped a 78-73 decision. The Tar Heels outscored the Irish 24-15 in the fourth. At Syracuse, the Irish once held a 15-point lead and were up 65-58 heading into the fourth. Then the Orange outscored the Irish 23-4 in the fourth to take it 81-69"

The season was not entirely without highlights, most notably a stretch from December 31 to January 21 where Notre Dame won 5 out of 6 games in conference play. However, the Irish were quickly met with a reality check in the form of successive road losses to North Carolina, Syracuse, and Louisville.

ND entered the ACC tournament on the NCAA tournament bubble at 10-9 and likely needing multiple ACC tournament wins to snag one of the final NCAA bids. The Irish opened the ACC tournament against Clemson where once again their propensity for a poor fourth quarter doomed them. Notre Dame entered the final frame with a four-point lead but were outscored 18-9 in the quarter and fell to a season ending 68-63 defeat.

2020-2021 stats leaders:
Points: Westbeld - 304 (15.2 per game), Mabrey - 225 (11.3), Walker - 217 (11.4)
Rebounds: Westbeld - 157 (7.9), Peoples - 119 (6.0), Vaughn - 87 (5.4)
Assists: Mabrey - 63, Westbeld - 49, Walker - 42
Steals: Peoples - 29, Walker - 29, Westbeld - 27
Blocks: Vaughn - 23, Westbeld - 18, Brunelle - 8
3-pointers: Mabrey - 40 (38.5%), Brunelle - 23 (38.3%), Walker - 20 (38.5%)

Team Stats of notes:
ND shots 45.6 compared to 41.1% for opponents and 35.2% from deep compared to 32.8%. However, the Irish were outrebounded (36.3 per game, 37.0 for opponents) and committed more turnovers than opponents (341 to 314).
Nice to you back Orangutan, we missed you.

Reaction Score
Citron with 29. I don't think anything gives you a better read on potential than international competition. She was as impressive as anyone in that setting.

Reaction Score
Dodson can't have the second most shot attempts in a ranked match up. Might not seem like it but great team defense for the majority of the UCONN game. Offensive consistency still a problem for the Irish. I can see them making a push for the sweet 16 this year. Title contenders going into next year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dodson can't have the second most shot attempts in a ranked match up. Might not seem like it but great team defense for the majority of the UCONN game. Offensive consistency still a problem for the Irish. I can see them making a push for the sweet 16 this year. Title contenders going into next year.

Yes, some chatter about that on the Bench, as well. And a lot of those shots never really had any chance of going in.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen Dodson and Westbeld flip flop the high=low game and have Maddy post up with her back to the basket. She has a certifiable jump hook to both the left and right. Plus, she might've gotten fouled.

Westbrook and Williams did a good job of helping to clog passing lanes and make life difficult for Miles to drive right, her preferred mode of attack. Personally, I would've liked to have seen her unleash Citron to continually drive and draw fouls: she hits them at a 90% clip.

Would also like to see Nat Marshall get more playing time. Her offensive game is already better than Dodson. Where Maya helps is on defensive presence.

Reaction Score
Your Coach Ivey! Love her style. Calm with players and refs. I follow UConn, saw her working for first time yesterday, and wish her success. I think the Bobby Knight school of coach demeanor is fading - that athletes will seek coaches like her. And I'm all applause on that. Also Citron is the real deal.

Reaction Score
Yes, some chatter about that on the Bench, as well. And a lot of those shots never really had any chance of going in.

1) Personally, I would've liked to have seen Dodson and Westbeld flip flop the high=low game and have Maddy post up with her back to the basket. She has a certifiable jump hook to both the left and right. Plus, she might've gotten fouled.

2) Westbrook and Williams did a good job of helping to clog passing lanes and make life difficult for Miles to drive right, her preferred mode of attack. Personally, I would've liked to have seen her unleash Citron to continually drive and draw fouls: she hits them at a 90% clip.

Would also like to see Nat Marshall get more playing time. Her offensive game is already better than Dodson. Where Maya helps is on defensive presence.

1) I'm surprised they didn't try this more often actually, especially with respect to the potential for foul calls. Nelson-Ododa eventually fouled out of the game. Edwards did well in that area but if Westbeld had been in the post more often, that could have been a different story.

2) Westbrook and Williams did do well clogging the lanes, but I thought Miles was still effective for the most part. I thought she was really composed and applaud the 8 assists she had for the game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
1) I'm surprised they didn't try this more often actually, especially with respect to the potential for foul calls. Nelson-Ododa eventually fouled out of the game. Edwards did well in that area but if Westbeld had been in the post more often, that could have been a different story.

2) Westbrook and Williams did do well clogging the lanes, but I thought Miles was still effective for the most part. I thought she was really composed and applaud the 8 assists she had for the game.

Agree with you on both points.
#1) Westbeld has the ability to draw fouls because she leans into her defender.
#2) No criticism of Miles here. The right side of the lane was taken away early and often, so 'liv didn't force the issue. That drive to the left was stellar and she was dishin' the dime, so to speak. Work on the three and long-range two and she'll be scary. I like the way she defends passing lanes, rebounds defensively and learns. Plus, she knows where Citron is at all times. ;)

Reaction Score
Agree with you on both points.
#1) Westbeld has the ability to draw fouls because she leans into her defender.
#2) No criticism of Miles here. The right side of the lane was taken away early and often, so 'liv didn't force the issue. That drive to the left was stellar and she was dishin' the dime, so to speak. Work on the three and long-range two and she'll be scary. I like the way she defends passing lanes, rebounds defensively and learns. Plus, she knows where Citron is at all times. ;)
Re item 2) Didn't take it as criticism from your end. I just wanted to note what stuck out to me from what I saw yesterday.

I got some grief last week for stating I thought guard play would be a toss up on Sunday. For 3 quarters it was and I thought it was a great back and forth battle between both teams.

Reaction Score

Personally, I would've liked to have seen Dodson and Westbeld flip flop the high=low game and have Maddy post up with her back to the basket. She has a certifiable jump hook to both the left and right. Plus, she might've gotten fouled.

Westbrook and Williams did a good job of helping to clog passing lanes and make life difficult for Miles to drive right, her preferred mode of attack. Personally, I would've liked to have seen her unleash Citron to continually drive and draw fouls: she hits them at a 90% clip.

Dodson missed way too many bunnies inside. Citron and Miles do not play like Freshmen. Citron should be in your starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Since Notre Dame women's basketball is no longer embarrassing (for now at least!), I've decided to end two seasons of mostly avoiding the Boneyard during WCBB season!

I'd like to write a little bit about each game, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss all things Irish including long-held and newly formed grievances. Please no in-game discussion that will get the thread locked, however. Use the chat instead.

To kick this off, I thought I'd start with posts recapping last season (yuck), analyzing the roster, and summarizing the three games that have happened so far.

Where we've been:
Notre Dame went 10-10 in 2020-2021 and failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament. The season began inauspiciously with an 86-85 loss at Ohio and more or less continued horribly from there. Against Ohio, an Irish team rendered shorthand by COVID-19 led 77-70 with 6 minutes to play but faltered down the stretch. Faltering down the stretch would come to define the 2020-2021 ND campaign.

Unlike the 2018 National Championship team that was fond of playing a horrible 2nd quarter and then storming back in the second half to win, last year's Irish regularly built double-digit leads only to squander them in the fourth quarter. ND's own media guide tells the tale of woe:

"At Boston College, Notre Dame was up 60-48 with 3:29 remaining, but lost 64-61. At North Carolina, Notre Dame was up 70-63 with 4:36 left, but dropped a 78-73 decision. The Tar Heels outscored the Irish 24-15 in the fourth. At Syracuse, the Irish once held a 15-point lead and were up 65-58 heading into the fourth. Then the Orange outscored the Irish 23-4 in the fourth to take it 81-69"

The season was not entirely without highlights, most notably a stretch from December 31 to January 21 where Notre Dame won 5 out of 6 games in conference play. However, the Irish were quickly met with a reality check in the form of successive road losses to North Carolina, Syracuse, and Louisville.

ND entered the ACC tournament on the NCAA tournament bubble at 10-9 and likely needing multiple ACC tournament wins to snag one of the final NCAA bids. The Irish opened the ACC tournament against Clemson where once again their propensity for a poor fourth quarter doomed them. Notre Dame entered the final frame with a four-point lead but were outscored 18-9 in the quarter and fell to a season ending 68-63 defeat.

2020-2021 stats leaders:
Points: Westbeld - 304 (15.2 per game), Mabrey - 225 (11.3), Walker - 217 (11.4)
Rebounds: Westbeld - 157 (7.9), Peoples - 119 (6.0), Vaughn - 87 (5.4)
Assists: Mabrey - 63, Westbeld - 49, Walker - 42
Steals: Peoples - 29, Walker - 29, Westbeld - 27
Blocks: Vaughn - 23, Westbeld - 18, Brunelle - 8
3-pointers: Mabrey - 40 (38.5%), Brunelle - 23 (38.3%), Walker - 20 (38.5%)

Team Stats of notes:
ND shots 45.6 compared to 41.1% for opponents and 35.2% from deep compared to 32.8%. However, the Irish were outrebounded (36.3 per game, 37.0 for opponents) and committed more turnovers than opponents (341 to 314).
As a devoted WBB fan I'll be interested in reading your reports......,.......I'll be waiting for the invite from the Bench to do the same thing about UConn over there..........:D;):rolleyes::eek:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dodson missed way too many bunnies inside. Citron and Miles do not play like Freshmen. Citron should be in your starting lineup.

It's interesting. Sonia Citron plays starter minutes, particularly since ND has started playing mostly P5 teams.
Coach Ivey initially said she wanted to bring Citron off the bench to provide a spark.

However, it's my belief that more than anything else, Citron sets the tone with her team-centric style of play. She cuts, passes, sets screens, goes after the ball and shoots when she's needed and/or open.
In short, ND plays at it's most optimal she's in.

Why not do it from the start?

Reaction Score
It's interesting. Sonia Citron plays starter minutes, particularly since ND has started playing mostly P5 teams.
Coach Ivey initially said she wanted to bring Citron off the bench to provide a spark.

However, it's my belief that more than anything else, Citron sets the tone with her team-centric style of play. She cuts, passes, sets screens, goes after the ball and shoots when she's needed and/or open.

there's something to be said for having an instant spark plug off the bench if the team starts out playing poorly.........

Dillon77

Reaction Score
there's something to be said for having an instant spark plug off the bench if the team starts out playing poorly.........

Yeah, but not when that person is one of your best players, less than 10 games into her career.
Cori Close didn't start Citron in the beginning of the U19 tourney and realized the "spark" needed to be constant.....

We'll see if Niele is as stubborn as Muffet was at keeping her initial choice of lineups or if she moves it around. The other reason I bring this up is ND is getting virtually nothing from Anaya Peoples offensively.....

Reaction Score
Yeah, but not when that person is one of your best players, less than 10 games into her career.
Cori Close didn't start Citron in the beginning of the U19 tourney and realized the "spark" needed to be constant.....

We'll see if Niele is as stubborn as Muffet was at keeping her initial choice of lineups or if she moves it around. The other reason I bring this up is ND is getting virtually nothing from Anaya Peoples offensively.....
If you're getting nothing from the starter than start her for sure........I saw Peoples have a few good games last year.....is she going backwards?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If you're getting nothing from the starter than start her for sure........I saw Peoples have a few good games last year.....is she going backwards?

Gosh, hard to say that about a likeable, hard-working young person, but she's not moving forward on all fronts, that's for sure. Foul shooting has improved and she hustles for everything (on the floor or off the glass), but creating her own shot and passing have faltered.

At one point, you could say she was in for her contributions on defense and the unsettled situations, but Citron is rapidly becoming a top flight collegiate defender, as well, utilizing her 6'1" height. Good foot speed, too, which probably comes from being a very good soccer player (as was Miles, btw).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gosh, hard to say that about a likeable, hard-working young person, but she's not moving forward, that's for sure. Foul shooting has improved and she hustles for everything, but creating her own shot and passing have faltered.
What happened with Gilbert? She was an important rotation player and now barely plays?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Ivey said Citron does not care whether she starts or comes off the bench. I still think she is too young to play college basketball. She looks to be 12 years old. Only Lane from SH looks younger. Check her papers. ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
What happened with Gilbert? She was an important rotation player and now barely plays?

Oh boy, I'd need to go check notes for the amount of setbacks she's had, from serious injuries and nagging ones to illnesses. She's had to come back so often, I think she's pressed to make an impression (remember me?!), to the detriment of her game.

At one point, Coach Ivey had talked about her being a person that could spell Miles at point guard, which I could see: decent handle, good height to see over zones and a pretty good mid-range jumper when she's confident. However, that just doesn't seem to have worked out (she was sick again for the post-Turkey Day tournament) and Dara Mabrey fills that role (which is why Mabrey plays the most minutes on the team).

Once again, apparently a very good young person whose career has not gone forward as expected after a promising start. Still, ND has such a tight roster that she's one illness or injury away from getting a chance at being in the rotation again. Never know.

Reaction Score
ND beat Purdue-Fort Wayne 71-48. Before the game, Muffet McGraw was inducted into the ND Ring of Honor. It was a good ceremony. As of the game, slow start for ND, but as the 2nd quarter for going, ND started to pull away. The 2nd half was much better than the first. 6 players in double figures for ND. 9-2-one win away from tying them for wins last season. I’m impressed with ND this season, going better than I thought it would (except with the loss to Georgia in OT-which they should have won by the way).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have lapsed on the game summaries big time but hope to catch up over the holidays. In the meantime, quick thoughts:

Olivia Miles was electric vs. Pitt. The whole game was the "The Liv Show" 21 pts, 11 ast, 6 reb, 6 stl and she could have had something like 14-15 assists with better finishing around the hoop. When she is feeling it, it's a sight to see.

Very funny post-game press conference with her. Most players give robotic answers. Miles is quite frank and it's clear she has high self-esteem. The funniest part was her gushing about her connection with Citron and then stating "that's why I recruited her to come play with me wherever I went to college". To which, Niele just patted her on the back and said "thanks"

Citron continues to be rock solid and also makes about 2-3 "wow" plays a game. Against Pitt, one was a pinpoint skip pass to Brunelle for a 3. Another was Sonia reading the play on defense, stealing the pass, ripping it away from attempt a tie-up, then dribbling the length of the court and finishing with a eurostep into a lefty layup.

Citron took home her 4th ACC Freshman of the Week award this week. It was confirmed on the Pitt broadcast that Miles has been deemed ineligible because she played last year as an early enrollee. Otherwise, Miles surely would have won this one.

Brunelle validated my suspicion that she would play better if only she was left on the court for long enough to get a rhythm. Dodson is struggling offensively. When ND isn't playing a team with big brutes in the post, Brunelle needs to play more than Dodson.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ivey said Citron does not care whether she starts or comes off the bench. I still think she is too young to play college basketball. She looks to be 12 years old. Only Lane from SH looks younger. Check her papers. ;)
She really should be still a senior in high school like her older USAB teammate Lauren Betts. And she definitely looks like a high-schooler.

I think she's missed a lot of layups on drives that she normally made in high school because she's not used to the strength of college players. Once she gets a college body to go with that advanced basketball IQ...watch out.

Anyhow, for being 18 and 2 months she's doing pretty darn well playing in college basketball landscape that has more overage players than ever due to last year's pandemic freebie season. Shoot, Ali Patberg is still out there at 25...

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She really should be still a senior in high school like her older USAB teammate Lauren Betts. And she definitely looks like a high-schooler.

I think she's missed a lot of layups on drives that she normally made in high school because she's not used to the strength of college players. Once she gets a college body to go with that advanced basketball IQ...watch out.

Anyhow, for being 18 and 2 months she's doing pretty darn well playing in college basketball landscape that has more overage players than ever due to last year's pandemic freebie season. Shoot, Ali Patberg is still out there at 25...

Ali's only 25? ;)
(Amazing to think she was in the same ND recruiting class as Arike Ogunbowale and Marina Mabrey -- quite the class there, Niele and MM -- and "Marike" just finished up their 3rd season in the WNBA.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
vince-mcmahon-entrance.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads