Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Greetings. First time poster and Penn State Lady Lions follower. I thought you might be interested in a report on Alli Campbell. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to play in any of Penn State's three games due to injury. No idea as to the nature or severity of her injury. Penn State is notoriously close-mouthed on injuries. I'll try to post any new information if and when I can.
Thanks. I was trying to figure out what is going on there. I have PA roots and the rest of my family are PSU alums so I am definitely curious to see what Alli will bring to the table for Penn State.

I saw this on Twitter from her dad:

Seems like her injury might be season-threatening?

Reaction Score
After an excellent first quarter, Notre Dame reverted to last year's form and outscored Fordham by only 1 point, over the last 3 quarters. Fordham has a much smaller team but has very quick guards. They forced ND into 20 turnovers, 5 by Miles, who also went 1 of 9 from the field. She appeared to be bothered by Fordham's quickness.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After an excellent first quarter, Notre Dame reverted to last year's form and outscored Fordham by only 1 point, over the last 3 quarters. Fordham has a much smaller team but has very quick guards. They forced ND into 20 turnovers, 5 by Miles, who also went 1 of 9 from the field. She appeared to be bothered by Fordham's quickness.

And Fordham scored 24 points off those forced turnovers (as opposed to ND's 12 pts off Fordham's 12 turnovers), which kept the game close. Plus, Fordham got in everyone's faces so much, ND stopped moving on the half-court sets (save for Citron and Peoples).

However, many Benchers felt that if ND truly reverted to last year's form, they would've lost the game. This year, they were more deliberate on offense in the 4th quarter and were helped by Maddy Westbeld and one huge three by Sonia Citron, both of whom kept their composure.

BTW, ND's guards didn't force as many turnovers, but helped keep Fordham's guards (Dingle, DeWolfe and Heremaia) into sub-par shooting performances, particularly from three.

Hopefully, ND will learn from the experience: keep head up, look for open cutters or wing and pass.

Fordham is small, but Dingle is remarkably quick and hustles everywhere. DeWolfe will bounce back from this and they'll be a problem because Coach Gaitley keeps them in peoples' faces all the time.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this all pre-season. Get ND now, because you're not getting them later. I really think they could challenge to be top-3 in the ACC this season. Miles/Citron will be one of the nation's premier backcourts for the next three seasons. If you can get a high quality big, watch out.
Marshall looked good in her limited minutes. She glides. Keep an eye on her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Game Four - Notre Dame 71 - Fordham 56
The Irish cruised to a 23-9 lead after one quarter thanks to a blistering start from Dara Mabrey, who scored 15 pts on 6-6 shooting in the opening period. Fordham, meanwhile, missed several bunnies and and failed to record any second-chance points despite pulling down 5 rebounds.

At this point, it looked like Notre Dame would cruise to a straightforward beatdown of the Rams, but that was not to be. The Irish lead swelled to 21 in the 2nd quarter but Fordham went on an 8-1 run into halftime to once again cut the margin to 14. The 3rd quarter followed the same pattern with the ND lead growing to 20 at 54-34 before the Rams cut it to 7 with a 13-0 run that spanned the end of the 3rd quarter and beginning of the 4th.

As against Syracuse, it was once again Maddy Westbeld who stepped up with ND in need of a bucket to stem the tide. 5 points off of two Westbeld jumpers halted the momentum and the game was effectively killed when Citron drained a 3 to give the Irish a 16-point lead with 4:19 remaining. Two Kaitlyn Downey 3s kept the game vaguely interesting down the stretch but the Irish held their nerve and salted the game away.

Overall, Notre Dame shot 49% from the field compared to 34.3% for Fordham but the Rams took a whopping 19 more attempts than the Irish. The biggest cause of that was turnovers. Asiah Dingle was relentless in her attempts to pickpocket Irish guards and came up with 4 steals. However, many of the ND turnovers were of the unforced variety: stepped-on-the-line out of bounds, charges, 3 seconds, travelling. This game served as a reminder that Notre Dame is still a relatively undisciplined team that for all its potential still has a long way to go.

A cleaner performance could have lead to a 30+ point win but the Irish aren't there yet. For this team, simply not letting a 13-0 run lead to a meltdown and instead coming up with some key buckets to see the game out is a step in the right direction.

Orange Ape Award: Dara Mabrey - 20 pts (6-8 FG, 6-7 FG)
While Irish fans (including myself) sometimes question why Mabrey is given so much playing time, last night was an exhibit of her value to this team. Not only can she get hot and carry the offense for a quarter as she did in the first quarter, but she's also a valuable secondary option as a ballhandler. She will not get you the assists that Miles will (just one last night) but she will steer the ship in a storm and provide valuable leadership. She made all of her field goals in the 1st quarter but her presence was nevertheless vital for the remaining three quarters.

I could have chosen Westbeld again (18 pts, 7 reb) or Citron (12 pts, 10 reb). Somehow it's appropriate that I haven't selected Citron yet. She's rarely the most impressive player in any given game but she's almost always in the top 3.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Marshall looked good in her limited minutes. She glides. Keep an eye on her.
She is green as grass and still unsure of herself coming off an ACL tear but the potential is through the roof. Excellent athlete for her size.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I've been saying this all pre-season. Get ND now, because you're not getting them later. I really think they could challenge to be top-3 in the ACC this season. Miles/Citron will be one of the nation's premier backcourts for the next three seasons. If you can get a high quality big, watch out.

That's the biggest question for ND personnel wise. The backcourt should be pretty well set up with Miles and Citron (and Bransford on the way). Niele now has to find a star post player (or develop Marshall into a star).

Reaction Score
That's the biggest question for ND personnel wise. The backcourt should be pretty well set up with Miles and Citron (and Bransford on the way). Niele now has to find a star post player (or develop Marshall into a star).

Miles and Citron will be a powerful back-court combination this year and for the next 3. Sonia Citron, based upon her play early in the season, could end up being the NCAA Freshman of the Year (yes, even over UCONN's Azzi Fudd). Marshall needs to "Bulk Up" a bit to be able to muscle her way down in the paint.

Reaction Score
Miles and Citron will be a powerful back-court combination this year and for the next 3. Sonia Citron, based upon her play early in the season, could end up being the NCAA Freshman of the Year (yes, even over UCONN's Azzi Fudd). Marshall needs to "Bulk Up" a bit to be able to muscle her way down in the paint.
I wouldn't doubt it for one second if she was the National FOY.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

I wouldn't doubt it for one second if she was the National FOY.

In the ND-Fordham, post-game presser, Coach Ivey was asked about Citron a number of times. She acknowledged that she knew Citron was going to be good, based on her performances in New York and, most recently, on the international stage with the u-19 USA team. However, she's been struck by how well Citron has adjusted, her unselfishness and her basketball IQ.

Coach Ivey shared that she's been around plenty long enough to see many players come to ND and that Citron has as much basketball smarts as any frosh that's played for ND. "Skylar level," as Niele put it. Considering Skylar Diggins is a person Niele confides in all the time, that's high praise.

My reaction, game in and game out: Citron makes whatever group of teammates she's on the floor with play better. She does what is necessary and then some more. It's both a gift and something she works at.
Lucky Irish.

Reaction Score
ND beats Bryant 94-35. Much better than the Fordham game. 6 players in double figures. Brunelle, Peoples, and Gilbert did not play due to illness. They have two big tests coming Friday and Saturday against Georgia (right outside the Top 25) and Oregon State (#15). We should see how they match up between both of them.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with Citron this summer.

I'm happy she's playing well for ND.

We, too! :D

Coach Ivey had been bringing Citron in from the bench the first 4 games and she was playing over 25 minutes per game. Anaya Peoples, who was starting, was out against Bryant (non-Covid illness) and Sonia got her first start. A lot of folks were wondering if that might become a "Wally Pipp" moment for Ms. Citron or if Niele wants to keep pressure off her and continue to have her sub in. Tune in for the start of the Georgia game on that front.

In either case, Sonia will play a lot of important minutes for the Irish.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Game Five - Notre Dame 94 - Bryant 35

Winless and picked to finish 7th in the Northeastern Conference, Bryant didn't figure to pose any challenge to Notre Dame. And they didn't. At least, not for the last 35 minutes of the game.

After a slow start that saw Bryant hold an 8-7 lead at the 5:19 mark of the 1st quarter, ND blew the lowly Bulldogs away. Ultimately, the game was so lopsided that very little useful insight can be gained from it. This was simply a feel-good tuneup before bigger challenges at the Daytona Beach Invitational against Georgia (functionally #26) on Friday and Oregon State (#16) on Saturday.

The highlights for Notre Dame fans were the fine play of freshman Nat Marshall (11 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 4 stl, 2 blk) and that both walk-ons, Trinity Cha and Sarah Cernugel, managed to score.

The Irish played with Katlyn Gilbert (illness), Anaya Peoples (illness), and Sam Brunelle (back spasms). Brunelle and Peoples are with the team in Daytona and are expected to be available for this weekend's games. Gilbert does not appear to have travelled to Florida.

Orange Ape Award: Olivia Miles - 14 points, 14 assists, 3 steals

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Orange Ape Award: Olivia Miles - 14 points, 14 assists, 3 steals
Woof. Those are the kinds of stat lines for PGs helping their team defend their national championship... oh wait... sigh...

katy-sad.gif

Reaction Score
Woof. Those are the kinds of stat lines for PGs helping their team defend their national championship... oh wait... sigh...

View attachment 71381
I'm an ND fan, but Miles would have been the perfect PG for Stanford. Sometimes I imagine her running the Stanford team this year. I'm glad she's Irish. I can't remember if they were in her final 6, but I know Citron had Stanford as her other finalist.

Reaction Score
I'm an ND fan, but Miles would have been the perfect PG for Stanford. Sometimes I imagine her running the Stanford team this year. I'm glad she's Irish. I can't remember if they were in her final 6, but I know Citron had Stanford as her other finalist.
Yes. I do believe Stanford was in Miles’s Top 4 with UNC and Princeton. Sonia wouldn’t have got that much playing time at Stanford like she is at ND right now. Miles and Citron have been playing exceptionally well these first five games. I believe Miles is leading the NCAA in total assists at 41 (that’s 8.2 per game-5 games). I love that she’s a “pass-first PG”! Citron is a Jackie Young type of player (taller and to me stronger than Jackie was). Don’t forget next year with Bransford (they all 3 played together for Team USA U16 in June 2019). The future is bright for the Irish. ☘️

Reaction Score
Yes. I do believe Stanford was in Miles’s Top 4 with UNC and Princeton. Sonia wouldn’t have got that much playing time at Stanford like she is at ND right now. Miles and Citron have been playing exceptionally well these first five games. I believe Miles is leading the NCAA in total assists at 41 (that’s 8.2 per game-5 games). I love that she’s a “pass-first PG”! Citron is a Jackie Young type of player (taller and to me stronger than Jackie was). Don’t forget next year with Bransford (they all 3 played together for Team USA U16 in June 2019). The future is bright for the Irish. ☘️
They have been really great! And they definitely wouldn't have got the playing time at Stanford. I didnt know Miles was leading the country, that's pretty remarkable for a Freshman. I love watching Miles play, she's my favorite current college player. I never get to watch ND live though, ugh. But I hope they win both of their games this weekend, and get back to being ranked.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

They have been really great! And they definitely wouldn't have got the playing time at Stanford. I didnt know Miles was leading the country, that's pretty remarkable for a Freshman. I love watching Miles play, she's my favorite current college player. I never get to watch ND live though, ugh. But I hope they win both of their games this weekend, and get back to being ranked.

Nat Marshall, the 6'5" Irish post, also had Stanford as a finalist. She's been playing a bit more, as of late, and topped double figures in the Bryant game.

Reaction Score
Miles would definitely get playing time at Stanford right now. They desperately need a point guard.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It appears that Notre Dame's problems with finishing games persist.

20-point lead after the 3rd quarter ends up as a 2-point win. ND outscored 26-8 in the final frame.

Still a win is a win and a split from these two games in Daytona is not so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom