Notre Dame (1) @ Tennessee - 1/24/19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame (1) @ Tennessee - 1/24/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the mbb had a different AD than the wbb. Didn’t merge them until after Summitt’s death.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Tennessee pulls off a huge win tonight. Can't stand either team but if either teams bus broke down in the middle of a winter storm and the temperature dropped to -50 degrees and I could only help one team, I would help the Lady Vols and coach Holly.

Reaction Score
Come on IT. Have a little faith in your team. Surely if the Tide beat the LV’s by 21, the Irish are good for a 30+ point beat down. ;)
I got faith haha. I just know that ND has to come out with urgency and not be lackadaisical. They should win by 30+ but if they get up big. They’ll bring the back ups in mid 3rd quarter. Like they have for almost every game accept the UCONN and Louisville game. They should cover but I’m not gonna be over confident. I’m just not.

Reaction Score
For those who have an interest, ND is a 20.5 point favorite tonight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am hoping that Tennessee pulls off a huge win tonight. Can't stand either team but if either teams bus broke down in the middle of a winter storm and the temperature dropped to -50 degrees and I could only help one team, I would help the Lady Vols and coach Holly.
That's disgusting. :mad:

Reaction Score
SAT question --

Tenn:ND :: lamb: __________

(a) slaughter
(b) wolves
(c) massacre
(d) all of the above

The correct answer, by the way, is B.

A good kosher/halal butcher will slaughter the lambs in a humane way. And even a massacre is nothing compared to what will wolves will do to their prey.

Reaction Score
What does she mean Tennessee athletic departments merged? Did they have separate athletic departments for different sports? Different campuses?

2 ADs - One each for Men's & Women's sports

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not a fan of the orange or the green.

This could be a trap game for ND. ND is riding the wave of #1. Tennessee is reeling from 5 straight loses. They are defending their home court. If they come out guns a blazing, ND could have a very long night.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why is there a little part of me that wants to see UTENN beat N.D.? Then there is a little part of me that wants to watch N.D. spank UTENN.

Because you’re human, and a true blue UConn fan, any you’re just a little conflicted........like so many other boneyarders. I’m feeling you. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think the Vols come out hard, at home against #1. But MM is still light years better than Holly. So even though Tennessee has some pretty good players, ND wins - single digits only, says I.

As a matter of trivia, all of ND's game this year have featured a double-digit margin of victory for the winning team. The closest ND win was by 10 over Oregon State.

I thought this was a trap game until almost every forum post and preview article noted that it was a potential trap game.

Now, I almost think people are losing sight of the fact that ND is a much better team than Tennessee. ND actually is more talented than Tennessee based on the recruiting rankings, more experienced ,more consistent, more accomplished, and better coached.

I'm definitely wary of Tenn. putting together their best game of the season here. And anything can happen over a one-game sample size.

But also ND is just a much better team. ND really should win comfortably.

Reaction Score
I understand why some think that Tennessee could put up a better than expected showing. They do have talented players, even if they are not playing up to that standard now. However, in this case I don't see it happening. If they couldn't get up to play last Monday to break a record losing streak at home on We Back Pat night, why should they get up for this one? I expect this to be another chapter in the Tennessee collapse. Of course I want Tennessee to win and propel Baylor to the top of the poll, but I don't see this one staying close.

Reaction Score
As a matter of trivia, all of ND's game this year have featured a double-digit margin of victory for the winning team. The closest ND win was by 10 over Oregon State.

I thought this was a trap game until almost every forum post and preview article noted that it was a potential trap game.

Now, I almost think people are losing sight of the fact that ND is a much better team than Tennessee. ND actually is more talented than Tennessee based on the recruiting rankings, more experienced ,more consistent, more accomplished, and better coached.

I'm definitely wary of Tenn. putting together their best game of the season here. And anything can happen over a one-game sample size.

But also ND is just a much better team. ND really should win comfortably.
The most important factor:

ND is coached by Muffet;
Tennessee is coached by Holly.

The end.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A whole article about Shea Ralph's take on Tennessee's latest slide:

STORRS — While most UConn women’s basketball fans are reveling in the recent struggles of longtime rival Tennessee, former Huskies’ All-American and current assistant coach Shea Ralph is not.

Ralph grew up with warm feelings for the Lady Vols and their coach Pat Summitt. She attended Summitt’s summer camp in Knoxville while in high school. Summitt and her mother, Marsha Mann, were teammates on USA Basketball’s 1973 World University Games team.

So Ralph takes no joy in Tennessee’s slide under coach Holly Warlick that has seen it lose five straight games for the first time since 1970. Next for the Lady Vols tonight is No. 1 Notre Dame.

Ralph feels for Lady Vols as they take on Notre Dame

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
2 ADs - One each for Men's & Women's sports
AD= Athletic Department, not solely Athletic Director for clarity. THis also included the Lady Vol branding. Uninformed members can google is to see the resulting lawsuits, pay disparities, including Pat’s which has filtered down to Holly also being underpaid vs. her peers (jokes notwithstanding). Rather an ugly situation actually.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tomorrow will be Unbelievable for Holly and Tenn. If ND is firing on all cylinders this is going to be a Nitemare. ND will win and it will be by alot and could really get out of hand. Welcome to your Nitemare

Plebe

Reaction Score
A whole article about Shea Ralph's take on Tennessee's latest slide:

STORRS — While most UConn women’s basketball fans are reveling in the recent struggles of longtime rival Tennessee, former Huskies’ All-American and current assistant coach Shea Ralph is not.

Ralph grew up with warm feelings for the Lady Vols and their coach Pat Summitt. She attended Summitt’s summer camp in Knoxville while in high school. Summitt and her mother, Marsha Mann, were teammates on USA Basketball’s 1973 World University Games team.

So Ralph takes no joy in Tennessee’s slide under coach Holly Warlick that has seen it lose five straight games for the first time since 1970. Next for the Lady Vols tonight is No. 1 Notre Dame.

Ralph feels for Lady Vols as they take on Notre Dame
Scary stuff:

UConn has not lost back-to-back games since 1993, a run now at 943 games following its 79-39 rout of SMU Wednesday. The Huskies have passed Tennessee with 11 national titles and 19 Final Four bids under coach Geno Auriemma. But the Hall of Fame coach knows success can get away from a program quickly and it’s very difficult to get back. So does Ralph.​
“A lot of people don’t realize that,” she said. “And I get it because they developed an expectation, just like we have day after day. You come to practice every day and we expect to do things that are really, really hard to do and make them look easy. Like Coach Auriemma, the stuff he does is really hard. I don’t know if there’s a great enough appreciation for it. But when you see some stuff like what’s happening at Tennessee happen it reminds you how precious what we have here is and how you have to treat it like that. It’s hard.”​

Reaction Score
AD= Athletic Department, not solely Athletic Director for clarity. THis also included the Lady Vol branding. Uninformed members can google is to see the resulting lawsuits, pay disparities, including Pat’s which has filtered down to Holly also being underpaid vs. her peers (jokes notwithstanding). Rather an ugly situation actually.
Why create such an arrangement in the first place? Was this unique to Tennessee?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Everbody's favorite Irishperson:

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And if I remember correctly after they merged the two departments the AD took away the "Lady" in front of the women's teams because he wanted just one VolNation, not two under the old system.

Reaction Score
Why create such an arrangement in the first place? Was this unique to Tennessee?

Some (mostly Southern?) schools had that. I know TX did as well with HC Jody Conradt as both coach & womens AD.

While there is something to be said for the women having their own advocate and not getting ignored, I think it tended to be a separate-but-(not)-equal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom