Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent? | The Boneyard

Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent?

Reaction Score
I've been looking at DH's record with incoming freshman. I think I have covered everyone and it's not the best look. In four years we've developed 4 players that I'd consider starting caliber players (bouk, Jackson, sanogo and Hawkins)

Sid Wilson - transfer
Brendan Adams - transfer
Bouknight - nba
Akok - transfer
Gaff - transfer
Sanogo - current starter
Jackson - current starter
Springs - minimal minutes
Javonte Brown - transfer
Corey Floyd - transfer
Diggins - transfer
Samson Johnson - minimal minutes
Jordan Hawkins - solid player. Likely starter as sophomore

The reasons why guys on the above list didn't work out are all over the map. We've also entered the transfer portal era. Which changes everything and hit us hard this year.

I'm not 100% sure what to make of this. We've clearly improved. NCAA two years in a row is improvement. But if this was the pre-portal era I'd think DH is in significant trouble. Four players in four years that actually see legit playing time..... combined with a massive number of transfers. DH definitely needs to do better and I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm not sure if he's struggling to develop players or struggling to identify talent.

One thing we do have going for us. Of the 4 players that I identified earlier, 3 of them are still on the team and will be starting next year.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure what to make of this. We've clearly improved. NCAA two years in a row is improvement. But if this was the pre-portal era I'd think DH is in significant trouble. Four players in four years that actually see legit playing time..... combined with a massive number of transfers. DH definitely needs to do better and I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm not sure if he's struggling to develop players or struggling to identify talent.
Well luckily it's not the pre-portal era and he also developed 2 transfers into top Big East players
And if this were pre-portal era, at least a couple of those guys don't transfer out.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure what to make of this.
i am.

share discover GIF

Reaction Score
So sailing in July aye?
Ha. Fall sailing is actually fantastic. Almost all of the motor boat traffic is gone and the wind picks up. I may get a week into November. Definitely late October.

Edit: July is actually not the best up here. Limited wind and the lakes are a zoo. The boat launch in particular. Lots of drunk a-***** at the boat launch.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I've been looking at DH's record with incoming freshman. I think I have covered everyone and it's not the best look. In four years we've developed 4 players that I'd consider starting caliber players (bouk, Jackson, sanogo and Hawkins)

Sid Wilson - transfer
Brendan Adams - transfer
Bouknight - nba
Akok - transfer
Gaff - transfer
Sanogo - current starter
Javonte Brown - transfer
Corey Floyd - transfer
Diggins - transfer

The reasons why guys on the above list didn't work out are all over the map. We've also entered the transfer portal era. Which changes everything and hit us hard this year.

One thing we do have going for us. Of the 4 players that I identified earlier, 3 of them are still on the team and will be starting next year.
That isn’t good. Transfers aren’t going to represent us in the NBA. I mentioned this in another thread, but Hurley has to do a better job of developing his recruits. This is not okay.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson - transfer inherited player, shouldnt be on this list.
Brendan Adams - transfer was a solid gap filler, transferred to more minutes once the talent level increased
Bouknight - nba lottery pick
Akok - transfer injury derailed his college career
Gaff - transfer something went wrong here
Sanogo - current starter likely preseason all american next year
Jackson - current starter captain of the team next year
Springs - minimal minutes likely on track with his development plan
Javonte Brown - transfer realistically a guy that probably wasn't ready to contribute until year 3/4
Corey Floyd - transfer wish we couldve kept him but tbd
Diggins - transfer wish we couldve kept him but tbd
Samson Johnson - minimal minutes likely on track with his development plan
Jordan Hawkins - solid player. Likely starter as sophomore as advertised thus far

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Brendan Adams - transfer was a solid gap filler, transferred to more minutes once the talent level increased
Javonte Brown - transfer realistically a guy that probably wasn't ready to contribute until year 3/4
Jordan Hawkins - solid player. Likely starter as sophomore as advertised thus far
Thanks for the perspective

Reaction Score
This is fair commentary. Lots of different reasons. Many if not most of the transfers can be rationalized in some way. But as Parcells says, at some point you are what your record says. DH's record includes a lot of players leaving.

Reaction Score
This is fair commentary. Lots of different reasons. Many if not most of the transfers can be rationalized in some way. But as Parcells says, at some point you are what your record says. DH's record includes a lot of players leaving.
Which is a fair point, but it's also an incomplete point. 13 player list but 3 of those transfers happened in the past month and will be replaced. If we end up with good players to replace Akok, Diggins, Floyd that's not really a loss

Reaction Score
In this day and age, everyone’s record includes players leaving. Is his three year track record worse than a P6 average?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Whole Lotta DH excuses to choose from on this list. Dude needs to lock-in or find someone who can get it done. DH appears in over his head quite a bit.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Which is a fair point, but it's also an incomplete point. 13 player list but 3 of those transfers happened in the past month and will be replaced. If we end up with good players to replace Akok, Diggins, Floyd that's not really a loss
Why couldn’t Hurley recruit and develop players to be good in the first place?

Reaction Score
I don't think player development is an issue. Look at how much better CV got under Hurley. Jackson got a lot better this year. Bouknight got so much better. Sanogo has come really far. Martin got better. Whaley got better.

The only guys that didn't get better are guys who lost a lot of time to injury and Gaffney. The rest are tbd

Reaction Score

Sid Wilson - transfer
Brendan Adams - transfer
Bouknight - nba
Akok - transfer
Gaff - transfer
Sanogo - current starter
Javonte Brown - transfer
Corey Floyd - transfer
Diggins - transfer

Sid was an Ollie guy….

Reaction Score
Yes …..but crunch time kromah !
We've had the "best transfer" discussion a few times. Prior to Cole and Martin, my unofficial score keeping has Selvie and Q Hardnett tied for best transfer ever. But Martin and Cole top those guys in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom