Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I enjoy your youthful pessimism. ;) The conference situation can be dismissed, since it is something that nobody at UConn can control. And as for whether BC can beat UConn, even Whaler (who would never be confused with an optimist) is agreeing that BC football would get beat down. If both Whaler and I agree on something, it's pretty much true... :eek:

BC would get beat down by UConn? I'd guess whoever was at home would win. BC is terrible though - I'd guess they get 4 wins, enough terrible teams on the schedule to get a couple. I can't imagine they will beat anyone with a pulse.

I'm plenty optimistic when there is something to be optimistic about. It's not my fault the program offers little hope.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
BC would get beat down by UConn? I'd guess whoever was at home would win. BC is terrible though - I'd guess they get 4 wins, enough terrible teams on the schedule to get a couple. I can't imagine they will beat anyone with a pulse.

I'm plenty optimistic when there is something to be optimistic about. It's not my fault the program offers little hope.

Ahh....good ole Whaler! Did you not say, "losing by two touchdowns at home is a pretty good day" for BC??? Now it matters whether or not they play at home??

Reaction Score
Yeah, because UConn only had one successful season, right? We didn't go to any other bowls during that time, right? And UConn wasn't "lucky enough" to get into that bowl. We earned our way in by beating teams in our conference. I'm confident that if the 2010 team plays the ACC champion, we win. We ran into a buzzsaw, and were in it until the end of the third quarter, even after two separate balls hit off our wide receivers and went "pick-6"...
UConn is 58-46 with 5 bowls since '04. And yes, we weren't lucky. I was trying to say more along the lines of an 8-4 team regardless if its UConn does not belong in a BCS bowl. I also believe we would beat the ACC. And I apologize if I sound like a BC fan, but the fact is I just find it silly that they have a 4-8 season while we go 5-7 and all of a sudden UConn is superior, while completely ignoring the recent history of the past decade.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ahh....good ole Whaler! Did you not say, "losing by two touchdowns at home is a victory" for BC??? Now it matters whether or not they play at home??

I said that losing by two touchdowns at home is a pretty good day for BC - referring to yesterday's two TD loss at home to Clemson.

And um yes, a large factor in who wins college football games is who is at home.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I said that losing by two touchdowns at home is a pretty good day for BC - referring to yesterday's two TD loss at home to Clemson.

Yeah, I corrected my quoting of you as you were typing...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn is 58-46 with 5 bowls since '04. And yes, we weren't lucky. I was trying to say more along the lines of an 8-4 team regardless if its UConn does not belong in a BCS bowl. I also believe we would beat the ACC. And I apologize if I sound like a BC fan, but the fact is I just find it silly that they have a 4-8 season while we go 5-7 and all of a sudden UConn is superior, while completely ignoring the recent history of the past decade.

You don't sound like a BC fan. If you sounded like a BC fan, you would be a pompous, arrogant a who would eventually try to steer the conversation back to hockey.

It has to be said, though, that BC suffers from a problem that we don't (or at least shouldn't) have. That problem is that they are in Boston. There are perhaps 4 or 5 bigger sporting draws in the city of Boston than BC, whereas UConn is the state's team. If they have multiple crap years, they should be very concerned. I feel like the UConn fanbase is stronger and won't walk away from the team the way that the fair-weather BC fan will. But perhaps I'm mistaken...

Reaction Score

And um yes, a large factor in who wins college football games is who is at home.

Hey Whaler, I got what you were referring to. I wouldn't be too upset if we could stay two touchdowns behind Clemson. (We wouldn't). And Clemson had all America wide receiver Sammy Watkins out yesterday with an injury. If we could only manage 7 pts against NC State, we wouldn't get much more against Clemson. Uconn Clemson? 45-10.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Of all the negatives with Coach P, the thing that pisses me off the most is his stupid sour puss look that he does after the team does something bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
UConn 24 - BC 14

When did that game happen?

I swear, the moment the UCONN plays BC this board is going to be unbearable. If we beat them, people will start throwing out all kinds of arrogant remarks about how good we are and how bad they are. If we lose? HA! Meltdown might be the understatement of the year.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When did that game happen?

I swear, the moment the UCONN plays BC this board is going to be unbearable. If we beat them, people will start throwing out all kinds of arrogant remarks about how good we are and how bad they are. If we lose? HA! Meltdown might be the understatement of the year.

When did this game happen?? It was a prediction of what the score would be if they played this year. Did you miss the three or four posts prior to that?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
When did this game happen?? It was a prediction of what the score would be if they played this year. Did you miss the three or four posts prior to that?

I stopped reading after a few posts in this thread. My mistake.

Reaction Score
Until fans demand excellence, they will put a mediocre product on the field if they can get away with it. Football means big dollars on the investment side, including paying up for coaching talent. Connecticut is trying to do this on the cheap, and I frankly think they are vet comfortable with product as long as us dolts keep shelling out money for season tickets and $8 for a beer. UConn football is a reflection of the economic development plan in Connecticut for the last 20 years. No vision, juice the taxpayer and pretend everything is fine.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Until fans demand excellence, they will put a mediocre product on the field if they can get away with it.

I demand excellence!!! (has it happened yet??...) :confused:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Until fans demand excellence, they will put a mediocre product on the field if they can get away with it. Football means big dollars on the investment side, including paying up for coaching talent. Connecticut is trying to do this on the cheap, and I frankly think they are vet comfortable with product as long as us dolts keep shelling out money for season tickets and $8 for a beer. UConn football is a reflection of the economic development plan in Connecticut for the last 20 years. No vision, juice the taxpayer and pretend everything is fine.
Though I don't completely agree, I have to say the point about paying for talent is what TDH and others don't get. Getting a big name college coach is expensive. Plus, we aren't exactly a destination program for football. I just don't think UConn is willing to pay top dollar for a football coach who will put UConn football in the top ten, we want an overseer who takes the team bowling on a regular basis, graduates the players, and keeps the Nevin Shapiro types away from the kids so the NCAA doesn't come sniffing around. If it isn't obvious already, winning the Orange Bowl is not a priority here. We can argue about whether it should be, but it would be a pointless exercise.

Reaction Score
Though I don't completely agree, I have to say the point about paying for talent is what TDH and others don't get. Getting a big name college coach is expensive. Plus, we aren't exactly a destination program for football. I just don't think UConn is willing to pay top dollar for a football coach who will put UConn football in the top ten, we want an overseer who takes the team bowling on a regular basis, graduates the players, and keeps the Nevin Shapiro types away from the kids so the NCAA doesn't come sniffing around. If it isn't obvious already, winning the Orange Bowl is not a priority here. We can argue about whether it should be, but it would be a pointless exercise.

Good points. I'd (and think most of us hardcore folks) want a great product and believe it is possible. Hey, if we were in the next 10-25 on a regular basis with a strong schedule, I'd have no doubt the fan base would grow and the overall atmosphere would be different. I still remember the Indiana game like yesterday. Perfect day against a Big 10 opponent and a place jacked and alive. Even the night West Virginia game or Pitt night game, the Rent was rockin. Then, I think about yesterday...man, we need to wake up.

Reaction Score
I demand excellence!!! (has it happened yet??...) :confused:

Send your demands to UConn. If I were in charge, I would have been in the Governor's office and meeting with legislative leadership making it happen. Funding a great staff and putting together the financial packages to underwrite (buy) to get us where we need to be...B10, ACC, Big12, SEC... anywhere we can bring in marquee competition and turn the Rent into a economic and jobs creation machine. But, as Jungle pointed out, there is not the vision for that. I call them small dreamers and small thinkers.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Send your demands to UConn. If I were in charge, I would have been in the Governor's office and meeting with legislative leadership making it happen. Funding a great staff and putting together the financial packages to underwrite (buy) to get us where we need to be...B10, ACC, Big12, SEC... anywhere we can bring in marquee competition and turn the Rent into a economic and jobs creation machine. But, as Jungle pointed out, there is not the vision for that. I call them small dreamers and small thinkers.

I have to do all that?!? That seems like a lot of work. I'll just show up late to the game and leave in the third quarter, like half of the UConn "faithful", so that I don't have to suffer 17 minutes of traffic hell. Tell them to send me my excellence in the mail...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have to do all that?!? That seems like a lot of work. I'll just show up late to the game and leave in the third quarter, like half of the UConn "faithful", so that I don't have to suffer 17 minutes of traffic hell. Tell them to send me my excellence in the mail...

What are you defending at this point? The mediocrity that has set in?

Sarcastically mocking those who believe this level of play is unacceptable?

I know you don't get this yet: This team is not good. This staff is not good enough. If it turns out I'm wrong I'll gladly come back and admit it - but I'm not. This is not going to end well.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What are you defending at this point? The mediocrity that has set in?

Sarcastically mocking those who believe this level of play is unacceptable?

I know you don't get this yet: This team is not good. This staff is not good enough. If it turns out I'm wrong I'll gladly come back and admit it - but I'm not. This is not going to end well.

I'm mocking $%king idea that writing a letter to your governor makes your team win 10 games, that's what I'm mocking. I know YOU don't get that yet, but it's not how it works...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm mocking $%king idea that writing a letter to your governor makes your team win 10 games, that's what I'm mocking. I know YOU don't get that yet, but it's not how it works...

Writing letters won't work. It still has a better chance of working than accepting mediocrity.

I know exactly how it works. Schools that employ coaches like PP go nowhere.

If this AD and President have any intention of competing in the 'big time' they will fix it. If they don't our ticket is punched and we'll be in a place where beating Buffalo seems like a good day.

Reaction Score

Funny thing is, I been a season ticket holder since the day they announce they were going D1. Sit through every game to the end. Ive been there when there were probably a few thousand left. I love the game for what it is. Ive heard about 5,000 fans remaining sound like 30k watching them mount a fercious comeback with only 8 minutes left and lose... Seen so many can't remember which. We are the core. So, mock away, and we'll see whose left in the end. I'll be there, and maybe you and a few thousand others. Then what? Reconstitute the Yankee conference? Rebuild Memorial and take a nice stroll over to a game and then get some Ice Cream at the barn. Maybe go apple picking? Dude, your problem is you don't know the past. Those fans you mock are the ones who allow us to be a part of big football. You lose them and we're done.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Writing letters won't work. It still has a better chance of working than accepting mediocrity.

I know exactly how it works. Schools that employ coaches like PP go nowhere.

If this AD and President have any intention of competing in the 'big time' they will fix it. If they don't our ticket is punched and we'll be in a place where beating Buffalo seems like a good day.

Did it ever occur to you that instead of "accepting mediocrity" that I might actually believe that PP is a good coach? I know that it might escape you, but I believe that PP is a good hire and a good coach.

You and others may wish to ask yourselves the question; "Is this a better team this year than they were last year?" How many people could honestly say that we aren't better this year than last year, even after having lost two gigantic DL's, two gigantic OL's, and wide recievers like Kash and Isiah Moore? Jerome Junior is gone, too, and yet we're still better. We're starting a new QB, and yet we're still better. When comparing our amounts of three-star recruits (and four star transfers) to years past, WE ARE STILL BETTER!!

But I know that nobody on this forum is going to back that up, because everyone believes that Coach P's too old and they're tired of conservative ball (even though they had a decade of it with the last guy) and they believe that Mike Leach would have done better with the same personnel. I'll stick to my beliefs until I see something that makes me believe otherwise...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, I been a season ticket holder since the day they announce they were going D1. Sit through every game to the end. Ive been there when there were probably a few thousand left. I love the game for what it is. Ive heard about 5,000 fans remaining sound like 30k watching them mount a fercious comeback with only 8 minutes left and lose... Seen so many can't remember which. We are the core. So, mock away, and we'll see whose left in the end. I'll be there, and maybe you and a few thousand others. Then what? Reconstitute the Yankee conference? Rebuild Memorial and take a nice stroll over to a game and then get some Ice Cream at the barn. Maybe go apple picking? Dude, your problem is you don't know the past. Those fans you mock are the ones who allow us to be a part of big football. You lose them and we're done.

I don't have a problem with my knowledge of the past. I think that you might have that problem, though. I appreciate that you are a season ticket holder and I'm sure that you are one of the ones that stays until the bitter end. But that doesn't make you right when you say that having Buffalo on the schedule positions us for mediocrity. It doesn't make you right that this state is somehow not making the right investments in the football program. You talk about writing the Governor. About what??? The over 90 million dollar stadium that we have? The Shenkman or the Burton? The best facilities in the country, and ponying up 1.5 mil for a known-name head coach instead of taking a chance on Hank Hughes?

I think it's you who doesn't understand your past, my friend...

Reaction Score

UConn Dan, you suffer from learned helplessness.
One letter does nothing. 1,000 do a lot more, and 2,000 even more so. For each letter written, you assume another 1,000 feel the same way but don't write.

In any case, that's not the point, genius. The point is people vote with their money. So, while you have your head up your ass think it smells like roses, the rest will be saying this stinks.

Fair share of wise guys here that are short on wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom