Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt we're the first fan base to overreact. I have a feeling that if someone were to peek at the Arkansas message board it would be nuclear on there. While I am worried and upset and part of the complaining, we need to realize that it's just fans complaining. Everyone here can complain until the cows come home but we're all still supporting the program and will continue to do so. We'll all be armchair coaches and so forth but in the end, we support our university and that's all that matters. If it bothers people that fans complain or bitch and moan then maybe coming to a message board isn't the place for you.....

I agree with your post. Good point.

It is very frustrating to see what is happening.

I guess we are not supposed to see all the cracks and be elated with a 7 point win over Buffalo.

Reaction Score
I want the administration to make a ballsy move. I'm sick and tired of this boring Randy Edsall/Paul Pasqualoni ****. You can play the way they do if you're Nick Saban at Alabama and you're racking up #1 classes. You can't do that when you're stockpiling 2 stars.

You need to be bold. I wouldn't mind if the coach leaves after three years, that means he was good enough to leave.

That's what I'm talking about! This post should be in contention for insight of the year award.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fan base isn't overreacting, they are reacting. Our staff was outcoached by Buffalo.

To be outcoached you'd need to actually attempt to coach. Standing on the sidelines wishing the clock away isn't coaching.

Reaction Score
I doubt we're the first fan base to overreact. I have a feeling that if someone were to peek at the Arkansas message board it would be nuclear on there. While I am worried and upset and part of the complaining, we need to realize that it's just fans complaining. Everyone here can complain until the cows come home but we're all still supporting the program and will continue to do so. We'll all be armchair coaches and so forth but in the end, we support our university and that's all that matters. If it bothers people that fans complain or bitch and moan then maybe coming to a message board isn't the place for you.....

It doesn't bother me that people complain or bitch and moan - it's just becoming as predictable as our offensive play calling. I can get as snarky as the next guy. I get and hear your points loud and clear but I guess the crux of my argument (well, at least in my mind) falls around the highlighted sentences above - if that was the case we'll survive and prosper but we have "fans" actively floating the idea of boycotting the team to send a message? People get called out for taking a swipe at the performance of the players but then we have folks go out into mainstream media and talk about boycotts (coule be one, could be two or cares) - kinda goes against supporting the players and team no? Were are up 24-7 w/ a quarter + left and the flood gates open for people leaving, etc...

I apologize if I twisted anyone's shorts by my complaining about the complaining (even though I do think a dedicated thread would help - kind of a read at your own risk head's up). We have some very passionate fans here and we have some new antagonists. I've been married 28 years, learning to tune out things that make noise and irritate me is second nature. I guess I need to implement selective hearing here as well.

Reaction Score
Why are the fans more upset over the lack of our offense then the coaching staff. Im not giving this team any credit for beating buffalo were beyond that or should be beyond that. There are no excuses for the way our offense has performed you get it done or get out. I dont wanna hear from the coaching staff, "we would like to be a big play offense" be a big play offense or an offense you gotta demand it. Im not asking for miracles here just an adequate offense thats it.

Reaction Score
We had some pretty big names on D give half hearted efforts on tackles in space, that concerns me. Seeing on the Tube how many fans were walking out in the 3rd Q tells me we weren't playing exciting enough FB to make them want to stay. It is not a good trend. I doubt we are making new fans the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
We had some pretty big names on D give half hearted efforts on tackles in space, that concerns me. Seeing on the Tube how many fans were walking out in the 3rd Q tells me we weren't playing exciting enough FB to make them want to stay. It is not a good trend. I doubt we are making new fans the last 2 years.

I have never and will never leave early I will rant and rave though and rip into the team.

Reaction Score
It doesn't bother me that people complain or bitch and moan - it's just becoming as predictable as our offensive play calling. I can get as snarky as the next guy. I get and hear your points loud and clear but I guess the crux of my argument (well, at least in my mind) falls around the highlighted sentences above - if that was the case we'll survive and prosper but we have "fans" actively floating the idea of boycotting the team to send a message? People get called out for taking a swipe at the performance of the players but then we have folks go out into mainstream media and talk about boycotts (coule be one, could be two or cares) - kinda goes against supporting the players and team no? Were are up 24-7 w/ a quarter + left and the flood gates open for people leaving, etc...

I apologize if I twisted anyone's shorts by my complaining about the complaining (even though I do think a dedicated thread would help - kind of a read at your own risk head's up). We have some very passionate fans here and we have some new antagonists. I've been married 28 years, learning to tune out things that make noise and irritate me is second nature. I guess I need to implement selective hearing here as well.

I actually think its healthy for us to react this way. It means we care. The next step is apathy. And once you get to apathy, it's a death knell for the program.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. This is an area of the country that supports winning teams, and having a fun day out. It's goin to take many years to get the casual fan to care about uconn football. Even with a recent hoops championship, support for the hoops team is average. I will be there for the long trip to football relevance, and look forward to the hiring of young coach with a mindset for an exciting offense.

Reaction Score
I actually think its healthy for us to react this way. It means we care. The next step is apathy. And once you get to apathy, it's a death knell for the program.

You know how the mind protects you from emotional pain by telling you that something is no big deal? It helps lower expectations?

This is starting to creap in. It's been happening since the end of last year. The off season realignment crap did not give me a chance to reload my optimism for the current season.

If after 12 years of a total emotional connection, my mind really digested what may be taking place, I would be saddened beyond belief.

I don't think I could be apathetic about UConn FB but then again I never knew I could feel like it's slipping away.....like we could be the next Temple or Buffalo.

Reaction Score
You know how the mind protects you from emotional pain by telling you that something is no big deal? It helps lower expectations?

This is starting to creap in. It's been happening since the end of last year. The off season realignment crap did not give me a chance to reload my optimism for the current season.

If after 12 years of a total emotional connection, my mind really digested what may be taking place, I would be saddened beyond belief.

I don't think I could be apathetic about UConn FB but then again I never knew I could feel like it's slipping away.....like we could be the next Temple or Buffalo.

UConn has too much going for it to become Temple or Buffalo. I've been in P's corner since day one. I believe the guy CAN coach, but he went and brought Deleone to run the offense, and if he can't see that Deleone's best days as an OC are behind him, then the game has passed him by as well. I would never be in favor of canning a coach after two years, especially when we've been in every game, but even I'm starting to have serious doubts about what direction the current regime has thing pointed in.

The stat that showed we ran McCombs 86% of the time on first down was very sobering. This was game 5, how many games do these guys need to see that this is fooling no one? Hypolite breaks a long run, and is promptly parked on the bench in the next few series. Whitmer is in a real groove, and we go to the prevent offense and turn what should have been a comfortable win into a nailbiter.

If P wants to get to year four, he better do some real soul searching on what roles if any he wants Deleone having year 3.

Reaction Score
Towson looked better than Uconn. We scored 2 more points against Buffalo at home than Towson scored against LSU at LSU.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think im a pretty high on life guy on this board compared to others. I have never been this down on the program before. Sucks as i am stuck between delone vs clean house and wtf this fanbase will become down the road vs program future and so on.

Blue solo cup. I fill u up and search for thy answers.

Reaction Score
Bottom line this program is not going in the right direction.

Either its the wrong coaching staff or we have very little offensive talent on this team.

It;s probably a little bit of both.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You all need to start to ask your doctor if Zoloft is right for you! I'm serious. My God; every thread on this forum has turned into a ridiculously depressing view of the present and future state of the UConn football team like I've never seen it before. Could things be better? Sure, they always can be better. But comparing us to Temple and Buffalo?? Are you guys friggin' serious?

We are complaining today because we only beat Buffalo by 7 points, after having played a somewhat uninspired football game. There are more than a few "old time" programs that would trade to be in our position today. Arkansas has hit Defcon 4 at this point. Georgia Tech lost by 21 points....to Middle Tennessee State?!? How about our friendly neighbors to the north that have been the "jewel of New England college football" for decades, and are now shoving their Flutie-Flakes up their backside because their program is literally down and out!

I'm not saying everything is peaches and roses, but let's get some f$%king perspective here, huh? We're 3-2 with some big injuries on our D-Line all year, with a relatively young or inexperienced O-Line, with a brand new QB, with 3 wide receivers that didn't start last year. And we're heading into Piscataway looking to win perhaps the biggest game of the year for us. Get a grip...

Reaction Score

My sentiments exactly.

Reaction Score
You all need to start to ask your doctor if Zoloft is right for you! I'm serious. My God; every thread on this forum has turned into a ridiculously depressing view of the present and future state of the UConn football team like I've never seen it before. Could things be better? Sure, they always can be better. But comparing us to Temple and Buffalo?? Are you guys friggin' serious?

We are complaining today because we only beat Buffalo by 7 points, after having played a somewhat uninspired football game. There are more than a few "old time" programs that would trade to be in our position today. Arkansas has hit Defcon 4 at this point. Georgia Tech lost by 21 points....to Middle Tennessee State?!? How about our friendly neighbors to the north that have been the "jewel of New England college football" for decades, and are now shoving their Flutie-Flakes up their backside because their program is literally down and out!

I'm not saying everything is peaches and roses, but let's get some f$%king perspective here, huh? We're 3-2 with some big injuries on our D-Line all year, with a relatively young or inexperienced O-Line, with a brand new QB, with 3 wide receivers that didn't start last year. And we're heading into Piscataway looking to win perhaps the biggest game of the year for us. Get a grip...

Dude, you better go back to your doctor and get a whole lot more of whatever pills you're popping. You're going to need them as this season plays out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dude, you better go back to your doctor and get a whole lot more of whatever pills you're popping. You're going to need them as this season plays out.

Why would I need them again?

Reaction Score

Dan, for me it's the arc of the program, not the comparisons to Arkansas, G Tech or BCU. The arc was 'supposed' to continue upward with HCPP and it has instead trended in the other direction. If you see signs of the program trending upward, I'd be more than willing to consider changing my mind however, I just don't see it.

Reaction Score

I admire your unconditional optimism. But come on Dan.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The reason people are depressed about the program isn't because we are 3-2 and coming off a 7 point win vs. Buffalo.

Sure, that part sucks, but it's the never ending saga of conference realignment and the fact that we have a coaching staff in place that appears to be setting the program back to the stone age is what people are pissed about.

I can deal with short term losses, if the long term future and direction of the program appears to be on track.

I can't deal with short term wins, if the long term future looks bleak and without much hope.

The program is in disarray and it shouldn't be shocking people are pissed about getting damn near out played and definitely out coached by Buffalo.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I admire your unconditional optimism. But come on Dan.

It's not unconditional, Jimmy. My love for UConn is unconditional, but not my optimism. Here is what I'm hanging my hat on at this point:

1) We have lost at least 3 people on the defensive line this year, and two permanently (Stephen finally came back, thankfully).
2) We went into Maryland and won the Edsall Bowl, which you and I both know would have made us stab ourselves if we had lost it.
3) Whitmer no longer seems to be throwing the INT's and is making much much better decisions (I think we can agree on that?).
4) The O-Line seemed to give him more time in the pocket yesterday, albeit against Buffalo. (More time than he had against WMU, for sure!).
5) Our running play calls were beyond predictable, and yet McCombs happened to get another 100 yard day (I know, I know...97 yards...).
6) We found our second running back, and his name is Hyppolite.
7) The old coaches of ours finally came to their senses on one thing that doesn't work and scrapped it; the Wildcat.

So there are plenty of conditions for my optimism. I get why the fanbase is looking at the glass being half empty. But to me, it was more empty when the offense wasn't scoring more than 7 points a game...

Reaction Score

Sounds pretty much like an "emotional rant" to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are more than a few "old time" programs that would trade to be in our position today. Arkansas has hit Defcon 4 at this point. Georgia Tech lost by 21 points....to Middle Tennessee State?!? How about our friendly neighbors to the north that have been the "jewel of New England college football" for decades, and are now shoving their Flutie-Flakes up their backside because their program is literally down and out!

I'm not saying everything is peaches and roses, but let's get some f$%king perspective here, huh?

You need some perspective. None of those teams you metioned would trade places with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom