Norwalk Hour reporting that Chandler Whitmer headed to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Norwalk Hour reporting that Chandler Whitmer headed to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I absolutely believe P is doing the right thing "bridging" the transition from the guys Edsall recruited to the guys he wants in a few key areas. It's his team. The more he can speed up his transition, the better.

This is getting annoying but . . . I'm once again agreeing entirely with you on this point, Biz.

Reaction Score
If he gets Mac off the field -- I'm anointing Chandler as the Savior.

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:

Some people look at the ball and the arm when they look at a QB, people think I'm crazy, but I look at the feet.​

You could slide that line unedited right into the J. Geils tune 'First I look at the purse'

Reaction Score
Whitmore is only 5ft 11 for QB? For a mobile QB this might not be such a big deal but for a prostyle QB at FBS level of play this is a big disadvantage. Correct me if I'm wrong ... but typically good prostyle QB's are bigger (6ft 4 and up) pocket passers that can see over their onlinemen when reading the field. Also taller/larger QB's have a better chance of not having their passes batted down by the DLine. [/SIZE
Per Scout:

You do not have to be 6'4 to be a pro-style QB. The perfect proof of this is Drew Brees. I believe Drew is 6' or 6'1. A lot of people hated on Drew when he came out because of his size.

I'm by no means comparing Whitmer to Brees. Just saying that a pro style QB doesn't have to be huge.

"Whitmer has a strong, accurate arm, but his 5'-11" height is a drawback at the college level. He must learn means of compensating."

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry I believe we will have an upgrade of speed and size at WR. I think people here will be pleasantly surprised next year.

MICHAEL Smith Returns ... our top WR

Shakim Phillips - from what I hear he will be our best WR

Germy Davis - will be legit

Tebucky Jr. - Like what I see out of him

The Nick Williams Factor

If Golden Commits should be a factor

I think Geremy Davis will be the best of a talented bunch.

Reaction Score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UttZOe5aEew

Some people look at the ball and the arm when they look at a QB, people think I'm crazy, but I look at the feet.

... and the thing that predicts a QB's success the most - "his brain" - is often the most overlooked. Tom Brady threw a "free throw" looking pass to Gronk for a TD because he properly recognized and adjusted for a Redskins blitz. He didn't need an arm, legs, feet, or even a spiral ... he just needed to accurately read and properly adjust.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Awesome get for coach P. Anyone know how many years of eligibility?

This should allow Nebrich and Cochran to redshirt next year.
3 years. Used one at Juco and doesn't have to sit out at all.

Reaction Score
3 years. Used one at Juco and doesn't have to sit out at all.
You're correct, but just to clarify, he redshirted his first year at Illinois, used his second year (redshirt freshman year) at Butler (JUCO), and will come in to UConn (for eligibility purposes) as a redshirt sophomore who can play immediately.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
We get a guy who has been in college for two years developing his game and has a good amount of experience as a result of playing at a Junior College. If he's good enough to come in and start, we (presumably) have our starting QB for the next 3 years. If not, he's probably good enough that he can be in the backup pro-style QB, allowing CC and MN to redshirt with SM continuing to be the option QB.

There's a 95% chance that only good comes from this, even if he doesn't win the starting job next year.

Edit: And I tend to believe that as a coaching staff you only go JUCO if you think the kid can come in and play right away.

Reaction Score
This as well as some of the other additions makes tremendous sense as a way of bridging as bl said. We aren't bringing in 15 JUCO kids, but selectively filling in weak spots with JUCOs or transfers is a sound policy, I think and I think a sensible Pasqualoni policy. And oneof the things that makes me think that indeed he does have a pretty solid plan to upgrade the program.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
This as well as some of the other additions makes tremendous sense as a way of bridging as bl said. We aren't bringing in 15 JUCO kids, but selectively filling in weak spots with JUCOs or transfers is a sound policy, I think and I think a sensible Pasqualoni policy. And oneof the things that makes me think that indeed he does have a pretty solid plan to upgrade the program.
I agree 100%. The results on the field year left a bit to be desired. I was hoping for a 7-5 type year and got a 5-7 year. But it is definitely apparent that they have a long term plan and are taking the necessary steps to bridge the gap in the short term by adding JUCOs and transfers.

Reaction Score
I hope we see the coaching improve the way the recruiting has. I worry that P reminds me of Zook. Great recruiter, terrible coach.

Reaction Score
I hope we see the coaching improve the way the recruiting has. I worry that P reminds me of Zook. Great recruiter, terrible coach.

Terrible coach? Based on what? His 112-61 record in 1A? His two Fiesta Bowl appearances (one win), and Orange Bowl appearance? His 7 seasons in which he finished ranked? His top 10 finish in 1992? Two losing seasons out of 15? He won 9 games or more in 6 of those 15 seasons. Maybe it's his 76-38 Big East record that has put you off?

Even this season, in a down year, he kicked Schiano's tail.

Paul Pasqualoni is a damned good football coach.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you guys were expecting this year but with a new coach, an already anemic offense that had no experienced quarterback and was trying to replace one of the nations's leading rushers, I saw 7-5 as the high, 6-6 as likely so 5-7 while disappointing is hardly beyond the pale. I'll admit that the wins weren't the wins I expected nor where the losses, but the total wasn't much of a surprise.

Reaction Score
I expect 5-0 out of conference. This year was a tremendous disappointment to me. A fiasco.

Reaction Score
I think the tell was in the interview that Dez had with DeLeone at the end of the year. He said MN needed more time. Something like all he ever did in high school was run around and make plays. D1 college is different., especially with a more-complicated offense like ours. I think that MN has a ton of talent. Maybe he is good enough to start next year who knows, but my sense is that he deserves a red shirt year to develop.

As somebody said only good can come out of this.

Reaction Score
asked a guy who is very close to the Illinois program about him... this was his reply

A good player that others respect. Ended up recruiting alot of HS players for us after he committed. A little small for the position . He doesnt have a rocket arm but he is very, very accurate. I think he was rated the most accurate QB in his class by Rivals. He transferred after losing the starting job to RS Freshman Scheelhaase and because Illinois is a mess (at least we have a conference ). We also over recruited him with a freshman that played alot this year. On a few updates, he ended up doing very well in JC. Definately a good guy to have in your program and someone that can push for playing time. He spent a year learning Petino's pro style offense.

Truth be told, he would probably struggle at Illinois because the stadium is a wind tunnel and you really need a rocket arm to play there (its why Scheelhaase and our pass defense is so good), but I was dissapointed to see him go.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
every team we lost to went to a bowl game

Reaction Score
I expect 5-0 out of conference. This year was a tremendous disappointment to me. A fiasco.
I know. If only Nebrich had started we'd have been 9-2. And if Nick Williams had played quarterback and figured out a way to pass to himself, we'd be playing LSU for the National Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom