Norwalk Hour reporting that Chandler Whitmer headed to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Norwalk Hour reporting that Chandler Whitmer headed to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My guess would be that this kid is going to play. I say that simply because when you go the JUCO route, its generally to get someone who can play right away. Given Johny's performance and Nebrich's very low number of snaps, I expect this kid to be in the game unless he disappoints in practice. I don't think he would come here with the QB's we have unless he was told that he has a very high likelyhood of starting. He said in interviews that he wants to play right away. He probably could have done that at some of the other lesser schools that called on him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My guess would be that this kid is going to play. I say that simply because when you go the JUCO route, its generally to get someone who can play right away. Given Johny's performance and Nebrich's very low number of snaps, I expect this kid to be in the game unless he disappoints in practice. I don't think he would come here with the QB's we have unless he was told that he has a very high likelyhood of starting. He said in interviews that he wants to play right away. He probably could have done that at some of the other lesser schools that called on him.

Same thing was said about DJ Shoemate in the summer of 2009.

I'm glad we picked the kid up and I hope his talent translates well at Uconn. But, the kid has to prove it in the weight room, film room, unofficial practices and in the spring.

I will feel much better with whomever rises to the top this spring with Whitmer, Cochran and the three returnees than I did last year with 3 QB's who had never started a game in college.

Reaction Score
nonetheless....im excited as all heck about nebrich, mccummings, whitmer, and cochran all battling it out for the #1 spot next season.

why hasnt the season started yet ??? :mad:

Reaction Score
This sets up perfectly for us.

Whitmer (starter)
McEntee (back-up)
McCummings (Wildcat)
Nebrich (RedShirt/Emergency)
Cochran (RedShirt)

Reaction Score
No idea or prediction whether this kid wins the job or not. But it increases the odds that our QB play next year will be materially better than it was this year. Pleased with the commitment.

Reaction Score
Nice get excited to see what he can do but lets see PP go out and get some playmakers to play wideout in this class. I feel much worse about that position next year than I did about qb.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nice get excited to see what he can do but lets see PP go out and get some playmakers to play wideout in this class. I feel much worse about that position next year than I did about qb.
-don't we have some 1 who didn't play this year back?forget name?
-phillips is here from bcu
-golden is visiting this weekend
-byrce mcneal is interested and can play right away
-marcus grant has to be us or bcu and can play right away with a ncaa wvier which seems to be the case...

the staff is def trying to make moves at wr and its kids that can play right away.

Reaction Score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UttZOe5aEew

Some people look at the ball and the arm when they look at a QB, people think I'm crazy, but I look at the feet.

TL had "good feet" - at least he was a very accomplished runner. But his was absolutely one of the worse throwing motions ever - and the results bore it out. He looked like someone playing darts in a crowded pub - no arm extension at all.

Reaction Score
I guess we have to wait to next Wed. when it's juco signing day before it becomes official.

F

fortebleedsblue

-don't we have some 1 who didn't play this year back?forget name?
-phillips is here from bcu
-golden is visiting this weekend
-byrce mcneal is interested and can play right away
-marcus grant has to be us or bcu and can play right away with a ncaa wvier which seems to be the case...

the staff is def trying to make moves at wr and its kids that can play right away.

I wouldn't worry I believe we will have an upgrade of speed and size at WR. I think people here will be pleasantly surprised next year.

MICHAEL Smith Returns ... our top WR

Shakim Phillips - from what I hear he will be our best WR

Germy Davis - will be legit

Tebucky Jr. - Like what I see out of him

The Nick Williams Factor

If Golden Commits should be a factor

Reaction Score
I love the optimism, but can we wait until the kid gets to CT before annointing him the next savior?

Who is annointing him a savior? Should we be bummed out about the fact that he is aggressively trying to fill the voids left behind by his predecessor?

Reaction Score
Lots of guys trying to get reps in just like last year. I don't expect the current guys are standing still waiting for Chandler to arrive either. Looks like a good competition and all of us taking sides until it gets sorted out whenever. I'm still hoping Mike Nebrich has a future as a starter here and it looks like Casey would be a redshirt candidate. Hopefully the weather cooperates for what should be an interesting spring game. We might need 6 quarters instead of four!

Reaction Score
Scout has a premium article up indicating Whitmer's commit to UConn and has him listed as a verbal. Not saying things couldn't change in the next week if another school shows late interest.

Gotta love the staff's aggressiveness. They had to play with the hand that was dealt last year due to the late departure of Edsall and mid-January hiring Pasqualoni. However, they are not just relying on recruiting HS kids and developing talent over years. They are aggressively focusing on transfers in areas of need with Mateas (Penn St.) and potentially Dill (Maryland) on the OL, Phillips (BCU) and potentially McNeal (Clemson) at WR, Donahue from Maryland at LB. These are guys that can contribute immediately which what is needed. Yes, the staff can recruit HS kids that fit the program's style and needs, but you can never count on a freshman to be a solid contributor. Pasqualoni wanted and needed some immediate impact players and has seeming found a way to get them.

Whitmer just adds to the competition at QB. Although, he is the most natural looking QB prospect that UConn has a commit from in years. Hopefully he will add some stability to the QB situation.

Reaction Score
Scout has a premium article up indicating Whitmer's commit to UConn and has him listed as a verbal. Not saying things couldn't change in the next week if another school shows late interest.

Gotta love the staff's aggressiveness. They had to play with the hand that was dealt last year due to the late departure of Edsall and mid-January hiring Pasqualoni. However, they are not just relying on recruiting HS kids and developing talent over years. They are aggressively focusing on transfers in areas of need with Mateas (Penn St.) and potentially Dill (Maryland) on the OL, Phillips (BCU) and potentially McNeal (Clemson) at WR, Donahue from Maryland at LB. These are guys that can contribute immediately which what is needed. Yes, the staff can recruit HS kids that fit the program's style and needs, but you can never count on a freshman to be a solid contributor. Pasqualoni wanted and needed some immediate impact players and has seeming found a way to get them.

Whitmer just adds to the competition at QB. Although, he is the most natural looking QB prospect that UConn has a commit from in years. Hopefully he will add some stability to the QB situation.

I absolutely believe P is doing the right thing "bridging" the transition from the guys Edsall recruited to the guys he wants in a few key areas. It's his team. The more he can speed up his transition, the better.

F

fortebleedsblue

Whitmore is only 5ft 11 for QB? For a mobile QB this might not be such a big deal but for a prostyle QB at FBS level of play this is a big disadvantage. Correct me if I'm wrong ... but typically good prostyle QB's are bigger (6ft 4 and up) pocket passers that can see over their onlinemen when reading the field. Also taller/larger QB's have a better chance of not having their passes batted down by the DLine.

Per Scout:

"Whitmer has a strong, accurate arm, but his 5'-11" height is a drawback at the college level. He must learn means of compensating."

Reaction Score
I absolutely believe P is doing the right thing "bridging" the transition from the guys Edsall recruited to the guys he wants in a few key areas. It's his team. The more he can speed up his transition, the better.

He is using jucos and transfers to speed the rebuild along nicely. As a fan, that's nice to see since we love quick results. Of course, bringing in too many of these guys increases the transient feeling of things. Its great to get a good player for a year or two, but only if the guy behind him is developing and ready to step in when the older player moves on. He seems to be doing a good job of bringing in freshman and blending in jucos and transfers to find a good mix for near and long term success.

The last couple of days recruiting news has me optimistic about this staff again.

Reaction Score
he's 5'11" on one recruiting website, and he's 6'1" 200lbs on another. I wonder if he was hand measured or electronically measured. ;)

Just go read the other discussion on this kid, whoever linked info there had him at 6'1" per espn I believe. Figure he's around six feet tall. We'll all get a look at him on the field in a few short months.

The only thing that you can really put any "weight" on all the recruiting websites is keeping track of gossip, which is actually pretty important in the tech age when information spreads so quickly.

Welcome to the UCOnn family Mr. Whitmer, looking forward to some real good QB competition in the spring.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry I believe we will have an upgrade of speed and size at WR. I think people here will be pleasantly surprised next year.

MICHAEL Smith Returns ... our top WR

Shakim Phillips - from what I hear he will be our best WR

Germy Davis - will be legit

Tebucky Jr. - Like what I see out of him

The Nick Williams Factor

If Golden Commits should be a factor

ahh yes mike smith. can't believe i forgot his name.

-tevaun smith we are after as well, adding to that list. i think were going to be better next year at wr and if we land a couple of these guys who all seem interested then the depth will be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom