Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think that depends on whether the player is depending on team linked deals or individual deals. For the best players, it's probably the individual deals and the companies will probably want to know the school chosen before they make offers. From what I see, Paige and Azzi especially have individual deals not team deals. I think role players would be more interested in team deals.

For instance a regional company on the east coast isn't going to sign a deal with a player committing to Oregon.

But, weren't those 2 already signed to UConn before NIL ever became a thing to entice high school recruits? Things keep changing with NIL as far as how quickly it starts. Some high school recruits already have huge followings on social media that perhaps influence the quantity/amount of NIL some entity is willing to commit to them (if they sign with said school).

Reaction Score
But, weren't those 2 already signed to UConn before NIL ever became a thing to entice high school recruits? Things keep changing with NIL as far as how quickly it starts. Some high school recruits already have huge followings on social media that perhaps influence the quantity/amount of NIL some entity is willing to commit to them (if they sign with said school).
They were just an example of top players I know who have pretty diverse individual NIL contracts that aren't tied to UConn. They have their own representation and I would assume that most top recruits do too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ka'Shya Hawkins commits to Syracuse, becoming the third member of Lutheran High's vaunted starters of the Class of 2024 to choose a school, after Syla Swords (Michigan) and Kate Koval (Notre Dame). Only PG Kayleigh Heckel has not chosen a college as of this point. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ka'Shya Hawkins commits to Syracuse, becoming the third member of Lutheran High's vaunted starters of the Class of 2024 to choose a as school, after Syla Swords (Michigan) and Kate Koval (Notre Dame). Only PG Kayleigh Heckel has not chosen a college as of this point.

Third player from that school to commit to a P-conference school for 2024. Pretty solid!

Reaction Score
6’3” forward Zania Socka-Nguemen, Sidwell Friends School, ESPN Hoopgurlz #26 announced four finalists: Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. Will reveal her commitment this Friday 27 October at 4PM EDT.

IMG_0027.jpeg

Dillon77

Reaction Score
6’3” forward Zania Socka-Nguemen, Sidwell Friends School, ESPN Hoopgurlz #26 announced four finalists: Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. Will reveal her commitment this Friday 27 October at 4PM EDT.

View attachment 92478
Three B1G schools (UCLA is a'comin'!) and the Vols. Her teammate, Kendall Dudley, is committed to the Bruins. Join her or choose her own path?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I expected us to get trimmed from her list. Dawn is chasing Joyce Edwards and Kennedy Smith hard. Adhel Tac decides tomorrow between SCar, Louisville and UGA (UNC probably eliminated).
We were definitely not going to be part of her trimmed list. Not sure how we made her top 5.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Family connection.
@cancontent

To be specific, Zach Randolph her dad -- played awfully well for Coach Izzo, then in the NBA. But he wouldn't be her coach. ;)

Interesting....West Coach kid whose dad grew up in Indiana and went to school in East Lansing. I'll drive on/by the roads that connect those three schools this weekend (I-65 and 80, Rte. 31). Randolph visited ND during the Irish-USC (So. Cal weekend, which was one good time. Plus, she'd get to play next to one Kate Koval for four years.

Reaction Score
Family connection.
@cancontent

To be specific, Zach Randolph her dad -- played awfully well for Coach Izzo, then in the NBA. But he wouldn't be her coach. ;)

Interesting....West Coach kid whose dad grew up in Indiana and went to school in East Lansing. I'll drive on/by the roads that connect those three schools this weekend (I-65 and 80, Rte. 31). Randolph visited ND during the Irish-USC (So. Cal weekend, which was one good time. Plus, she'd get to play next to one Kate Koval for four years.

I get the family connection component, but I'm still surprised Mich State made the final three. They're rebuilding, which could take some time. We'll see soon enough as to where she commits.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We were definitely not going to be part of her trimmed list. Not sure how we made her top 5.
SC recruited JuJu Watkins (her close friend and former teammate) pretty hard and likely developed a close relationship with Randolph as well. Dawn has been seen often in the halls of Sierra Canyon the last few years, and that’ll continue with Jerzey Robinson.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I get the family connection component, but I'm still surprised Mich State made the final three. They're rebuilding, which could take some time. We'll see soon enough as to where she commits.
If Randolph goes anywhere besides Notre Dame I’d be shocked.

I said on the SC message board a few weeks ago that she was ND bound.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If Randolph goes anywhere besides Notre Dame I’d be shocked.

I said on the SC message board a few weeks ago that she was ND bound.

Knock on hardcourt, I'm hoping for that, too.
As @cancontent says, Michigan State is rebuilding with a new coach. I've been impressed with what Robyn Fralick has done at Ashland and Bowling Green, but it could take a few years. Coach Walz is relying on the portal (heavily) to balance the revolving door, so who knows what the roster will look like in the next two years.

Randolph, who looks like a tweener forward who likes the paint, could be in line for a lot of PT or one good year of learning, depending on what Maddy Westbeld does regarding her Covid year. In any case, she'd be surrounded by a number of young players. Ivey doesn't over-recruit, so there's a chance to get on the floor. Plus, there's Hannah Hidalgo feeding you and Kate Koval watching your back. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Knock on hardcourt, I'm hoping for that, too.
As @cancontent says, Michigan State is rebuilding with a new coach. I've been impressed with what Robyn Fralick has done at Ashland and Bowling Green, but it could take a few years. Coach Walz is relying on the portal (heavily) to balance the revolving door, so who knows what the roster will look like in the next two years.

Randolph, who looks like a tweener forward who likes the paint, could be in line for a lot of PT or one good year of learning, depending on what Maddy Westbeld does regarding her Covid year. In any case, she'd be surrounded by a number of young players. Ivey doesn't over-recruit, so there's a chance to get on the floor. Plus, there's Hannah Hidalgo feeding you and Kate Koval watching your back. Stay tuned.
Louisville seems to gaining traction with recruits again. Will be interesting to see if his dependence on the portal changes. Recall him saying he thinks the transfer portal situation will change overall once the COVID year class are done during the tip-off show.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Louisville seems to gaining traction with recruits again. Will be interesting to see if his dependence on the portal changes. Recall him saying he thinks the transfer portal situation will change overall once the COVID year class are done during the tip-off show.
Thanks. But will his yen for "looking for the next best thing" be modified?

For years, Walz continually recruited excellent classes and then started recruiting over them the next year. He then started using the portal early and often. Did they help the teams? Sure, particularly in the case of an Emily Engstler. However, the (lack of) stability -- or some might cite loyalty -- goes both ways, as he found out with Van Lith.

Listen, I'm not a member of the "he who must not be named" club that once flourished in northwest Indiana. The guy can coach. However, he's one of the head coaches I think could use a general manager to ask "why?" and even say "no" for some of the in's and out's that have taken place.

Reaction Score
Thanks. But will his yen for "looking for the next best thing" be modified?

For years, Walz continually recruited excellent classes and then started recruiting over them the next year. He then started using the portal early and often. Did they help the teams? Sure, particularly in the case of an Emily Engstler. However, the (lack of) stability -- or some might cite loyalty -- goes both ways, as he found out with Van Lith.

Listen, I'm not a member of the "he who must not be named" club that once flourished in northwest Indiana. The guy can coach. However, he's one of the head coaches I think could use a general manager to ask "why?" and even say "no" for some of the in's and out's that have taken place.
Coach Walz is an excellent coach. However I remember being a little surprised in how he recruited over high school classes with transfers such as the year he took both Liz Dixon and Elizabeth Balogun from Georgia Tech. If I remember correctly one issue discussed is how he would bring in players knowing some scholarships on the current roster had to be displaced.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Both Randolph and Jaloni Cambridge will be on an OV at Louisville this weekend. ( starting tonight, I think).
Thanks. I was wondering if she'd visited yet.
Who are the Cards playing?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Football? Duke is coming to town.
ND tries to have targeted prospects come in when there's an exciting football game, such as Ohio State or USC (So. Cal).
Duke's done well this year and so has, obviously, Louisville. Could be an exciting campus....or maybe things are different south on 31. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom